American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 10th, 2011

Should schools ban chocolate milk?

Child obesity rates are rising and schools across the country are combating the problem by providing healthier school lunches. The latest target on the lunch menu is chocolate milk.

The superintendent of the nation’s second-largest school district in Los Angeles says he is looking to remove both chocolate and strawberry milk from schools. And, other states like Florida have considered statewide bans.

Many nutritionists are divided on the issue. Some say the calcium, vitamin D and protein benefits of flavored milk outweigh the harm of the sugar content. Others argue sugar or not, it's the only milk kids get.

AM asks you, should chocolate milk be banned from school lunches?

Filed under: AM Asks • Health • Parenting
  1. Karen Campbell

I agree with Ken. Instead of removing chocolote milk how about using sugar free chocolote milk. This is our ridiculous government at work again!!!! This is totally ignorant. Kids just won't drink milk at all. I know personally I hate the taste of white milk and this is the only way that I would drink it as a kid. How about making less fat options for food?

May 10, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  2. Chris Meckley

I do not think that flavored milk should be banned from the schools. The food service director for the State College Area School district in Pa. ,Megan Schaper, suggested rather than eliminating flavored milk in schools the milk companies could decrease the sugar contents.
    Children need the health benefits that milk provides. If it means offering a choice between low fat chocolate or low fat white milk so more kids drink it then we need provide it. I work in a middle school. Kids who do not like unflavored milk will not take it, even if it is the only option. They will do without or substitute with another beverage that is not as healthy. They are missing out on the opportunity to get two very important nutrients for growing children.... calcium and vitamin D.

May 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  3. Charles Brandon

Sugar does cause Obesity. It makes kids hyper so they burn off the energy. If anything needs to be banned it should the persons that want to ban Chocolate milk. When I went to grade school we didn't get Chocolate milk. Only regular 4% fat milk. After my tonsils were removed then I began to gain weight. I was put on Skim milk. Folks I'll never ever drink that stuff again PERIOD. Besides I just read a study that says sugar is good for you I regular amounts. SO Drink up and enjoy.

May 10, 2011 at 11:55 am |
  4. Jennifer Barbin

No, i do not think chocolate milk should be banned. the parents should have control over what the children eat/drink. you cant just go around banning chocolate milk. im pretty sure thats a sin. lol. i think theyre just trying to make up excuses so that if they do ban it, it will just save the schools more money, which is ridiculous.

May 10, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  5. Jim

If what we're doing now isn't working we should go back to the way it was 40 years ago. We didn't have flavored milk or sodas in schools. We had a smoking area but our parents wouldn't allow them to put soda machines in the cafeteria.

May 10, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  6. Joana

Our school district banned choc milk and are bringing it back this month. It appears there is a lower calorie version that is available which meet the districts "stringent" guidelines for nutrition. If anything should be banned, it should be french fries and tator tots.

May 10, 2011 at 10:14 am |
  7. john

I think the posts show the ignorance in society when it comes to nutrition. Many posts say a little sugar doesn't hurt. Did anybody actually take a look at the nutrition label of chocolate or other flavored milk? 1 oz. of chocolate milk has 3g of sugar vs 1g for low fat milk. Doesn't sound like a lot? Well, that means a 12 oz coke with 39g of sugar has practically as much sugar as as 12 oz of chocolate milk. That means, drinking chocolate milk or drinking a soda is equally bad. It doesn't matter that there are some Vitamins and Calcium. There is almost no difference between drinking a Soda and Chocolate milk. It is the sugar you need to be concerned about, as it is literally poison. Don't believe me, believe the world leading expert in child obesity, Dr. Lustig from the University of California in SF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

May 10, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  8. dar

Why not provide the option to purchase a 'milk flavoring package' – preferably one with added vitamins, therefore increasing the profit for the school lunch program while appeasing those who disagree with the withdrawal of chocolate milk. I have a feeling this is more about cutting costs than healthier choices.

May 10, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  9. Winifred Gravelin

Some kids won't drink milk so sugar free choc milk good but no high fructose corn syrup additives. The key to prevent obesity is exercise for 1-2 hrs a day. In the 1950's-60's fat kids were rare, 1 or none per class. We had gymn til 11th grade, everyone on swimming/ sports / football teams. My mother didn't allow starch/ sugar snacks. Kids sit on the computer at home after sitting in school. Kids should have low sugar diet but artificial sweetners also dangerous at high levels.

May 10, 2011 at 9:12 am |
  10. Ann

The problem is not school lunches or chocolate milk. The problem is kids who don't go outside and play anymore; they stay inside and watch TV and play on computers. The problem also is parents who do not cook for their children anymore and give them fast food and microwave food everyday. Think about school lunch in the 70's and 80's......they had bigger servings and desserts everyday......the difference is, we played outside until the street lights came on!!!!! Hide-and-go-seek, Red Light, Green Light, Mother May I, Hopscotch, Big Wheels, Etc.....

May 10, 2011 at 9:11 am |
  11. Katelyn

No, Chocolate Milk should not be banned! There are too many kids that only drink milk if it is flavored. That's how I was when I was younger. If people are worried about all the "junk" that students are taking in, get rid of the fries, fried food, pizza and cookies!!

May 10, 2011 at 9:02 am |
  12. Brian Corkill

Why not ban the technology that is keeping the kids indoors and not out playing? get rid of the cell phones, Ipods, Wii, PS3, and the rest of the items that we have become addicted to.

May 10, 2011 at 9:02 am |
  13. D

How about people just minding their own business like it should be.

May 10, 2011 at 9:02 am |
  14. Joseph L Cooke

Leave chocolate milk alone and ban liberals instead. Then, stand back and watch the schools soar into greatness and excellence!

May 10, 2011 at 9:02 am |
  15. Rob R

Racists

May 10, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  16. Cindy Dunston Quirk

Everything in moderation! Even chocolate milk.

May 10, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  17. Carol Jellett

Yes, ban the chocolate milk. There is no evidence that I've ever been able to find that drinking milk is good for kids. All research on the matter leads back to the National Dairy Council which has been telling us all our lives that we need milk. I've never been able to find a sigle study to back this up. Even the NIH website references the NDC. There are plenty of places on the planet where people don't drink cow's milk, and the people do just fine.

May 10, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  18. Ken

Has nobody heard of sugar free chocolate milk?
    You can limit kids' sugar consumption without cutting off the benefits of milk.

May 10, 2011 at 8:54 am |
  19. Jason Williams

Children get choices now? Parents need to grow a pair and take responsibility for their kid's health. If you think kids will choose what's good for them over what tastes the best you need your head examined. Not to mention the peer pressure, if ten kids pick flavored milk and one chooses plain, many times they will go with the flow and pick flavored to fit in. I would rather gives kids a glass of filtered water and a calcium tablet over sugary milk.

May 10, 2011 at 8:52 am |
  20. Mike Mulle

Chocolate milk has too much sugar but it also has healthy benifits. Let's compare it to soda and it's health benifits.

May 10, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  21. Debbie

Milk. Gotta Have Milk. Chocolate Milk, Strawberry Milk , White milk or Buttermilk...Gotta have MILK. Children need to be able to have choices. Choices are just as healthy! Calcium is hard to come by.

I believe the packaging has become too expensive. Why not have the milk refrigerators like back in the 60's. You could pump your own MILK. You could MILK the Machine yourself and go back for seconds, thirds or however MUCH MILK you wanted to Milk it for. Not only that, yes, the chocolate was so thick, rich and delicious but it was also wonderful to mix our choice. We would pump half chocolate and half white milk but we definitely loved our MILK. It wasn't wasted; it was something pleasantly to be appreciated!

White MILK, CHOCOLATE MILK, or any kind of MILK helps students make it from Lunch to Home. The afternoons get very long and what is wrong with offering another BIG GLASS of CHOCOLATE MILK with Graham Crackers at 2:00 in the schools?? Does everybody have CHOCOLATE MILK at HOME? NO!

MILK THAT MILK MACHINE YOURSELF WITH ANY KIND OF MILK YOU WANT. (as a matter of fact..why not have it available all day long like water).

COME ON AMERICA...REMEMBER....CHOCOLATE MILK IS LIKE APPLE PIE.

May 10, 2011 at 8:36 am |
  22. Vera Nazarian

As an immigrant child I've always hated the sweet chocolate milk and never drank it when I could, choosing the plain milk or something else unsweetened, when possible.

I recall now that many other children like myself, from other ethnicities who were not born or raised in the US, also did not prefer the highly sweetened options. Russian and Armenian kids such as myself grew up on hot plain tea.

However, instead of banning chocolate milk, why not simply offer more options, such as unsweetened iced tea or hot tea?

There are also other good options as juice, plain water, mineral water.

The best solution is no tot ban but to educate. But in order to teach healthier nutrition, there must be tangible options already in place.

May 10, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  23. Jason Williams

I am simply amazed at the responses. We are training our kids to eat processed fast food and drink soda, it's no wonder we have the health problems we do. What about my rights, if I don't want my kids to be served sugar by the pounds to my kids? If you a pro-flavored milk you have a part in giving kids diabetes, congrats. And no, flavored milk doesn't have 6grams of sugar, it has quite a bit more.
    "the average chocolate milk container served at schools has 26 grams of sugar. For comparison’s sake Coke Classic has 27 grams of sugar per serving and Mountain Dew has 31 grams"(fyiliving)
    and a snickers bar has 30g of sugar, but perhaps that's a good way to get kids to eat their peanuts.....But hey, the government subsidizes sugar and corn syrup, maybe we should just stop that and companies will stop pushing that cheap addictive drug on us.

May 10, 2011 at 8:31 am |
  24. jerl c.

What's next? Apple pie? These people have too much time with not enough real work to do.

May 10, 2011 at 8:29 am |
  25. Leslie

Flavored milks do have a higher sugar content and are bad for our children. I don't let it come into my house. My father was diabetic and my father-in-law is also diabetic. My children have an increased chance at the same thing. I watch all processed food coming into my house. I wish they would ban it from schools. It would help those students that can't seem to make good choices on their own. The salt content in the food served at school also needs a glance. My fingers and ankles swelled up last time I ate a school lunch with my children....now I just take my own. I just thank God that my kids like sports and are very active!!!

May 10, 2011 at 8:28 am |
  26. Kelli Thompson

Yes I believe chocolate milk should be banned from schools. We limit other things that are bad for children's health and not too long ago in the history of our schools all students drank regular milk anyway because that was the only thing offered. There seems to be some segment of the population that believes children should be given the "freedom" to choose healthy options. This is not some kind of assault on children's freedoms. In reality, what kid would really choose regular milk over chocolate milk. Children are not adults, they need to be taught not to walk in the street without looking and not to touch hot stoves and not to talk to strangers. These are not decisions that children come to know on their own. I don't believe that we should just sit back and let children make choices that are obviously bad for their health.

May 10, 2011 at 8:28 am |
  27. Brenda Alfaro

Soy Milk, Soy fruit drinks, etc,. etc,. is poison since it is laced with sugars that turn into fat in your liver and has an high estrogen level. Would you give your little boy estrogen? Your baby? Your daughter? And they wonder why girls are getting their periods early.

"It is child abuse to feed a baby soy formula. A baby fed soy will receive, through the phytoestrogens, the equivalent of approximately 5 birth control pills per day! The damage is incalculable.

There are other reasons to stay away from soy
    A very large percentage of soy – over 90% – is genetically modified and it also has one of the highest percentages contamination by pesticides of any of the foods we eat." http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/soy.htm

For those who are lactose intolerant or do not like milk, make Almond milk – no sugars, no lactose, and taste fantastic.

May 10, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  28. Dale McGlothlin

Of course we should ban sugar-laden chocolate milk. Our schools are the WORST example of unhealthy food arenas in our society. If our corporate cafeterias offered only high-fat, high-sugar, high-sodium choices adult workers would revolt and force the company to the menu offerings. Why do we allow our children, who are in-process of developing eating habits that last into their adult lives, to eat that same unhealthy food. Milk is not bad–milk filled with sugar is. Water is not bad, water mixed with sugar and artificial coloring is. Baked nuggets of white meat chicken aren't bad, but fried, suspect chicken part meat compressed into nugget shapes high in sodium and preservatives is. Duh!

"But, children won't drink regular milk and therefore will not get needed nutrients" is a straw-man argument. When did we start leaving what's best for children up to children? As Jamie Oliver says, they don't offer sugar-filled milk in Britain and those children drink regular milk or water. Give children healthy food choices and, over time, they will eat those foods. Just buck up and do the right thing.

May 10, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  29. Scott P

Yes, all sweetened milk should be banned! The question is deeper than chocolate milk, school menus focus on convenience and low cost not the well being of our children. Most schools serve food that is unsafe, the food they receive from central commissaries are not reheated (or held) to “safe” temperatures. Childhood obesity is an issue and people need to stop sticking their head in the sand. Children won’t eat healthy food at school if it’s not being served at home. The change needs to occur and our schools are charged with educating our children. Make a statement, pack a healthy meal and have you child restricted to 1% unsweetened milk, you’ll be surprised how quickly they start getting to a healthy weight!

May 10, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  30. Lori Upton

Why not focus on more healthy choices for the entire meal? Replace the dessert with fresh fruit or an apple? More fresh veggies, more protien and fiber sounds like a good start to fight obesity. Dont worry about the little carton of chocolate milk, thats only the beverage!

May 10, 2011 at 8:23 am |
  31. Bonnie McNair

Yes. schools should ban chocolate milk – and any other flavored milk. We need to start educating our children on the importance of smart nutrition, and that education can not start early enough. Sugar has been proven to be a cause of cancer, obesity and diabetes, as well as a host of other ailments. Look at the labels on any prepackaged food, and you will more than likely find sugar as one of the ingredients. We are the fattest nation in the world. This is not something we should be proud of. Teaching our children smart eating habits is critical to their future health.

May 10, 2011 at 8:22 am |
  32. Gene Simmons

They thinking banning is gonna help? Kids don't only eat and drink at school. When I was in school I always found ways to get soda and stuff like that in... Who is to say our kids today won't?

May 10, 2011 at 8:22 am |
  33. Fox

Numerous studies have shown that your taste buds will become accustomed to the levels of sugar that you ingest. This fact means that people can become accustomed to lower levels of sugar if they reduce the sugar content of their diet. I think that a gradual reduction of the sugar content of the flavored milk would be ideal, but the goal should be the eventual elimination of these drinks solely because of the added sugar. Milk already has many calories from fat, so there is no need to add more with sugar. If you are truly adamant about giving your child chocolate milk, then give it to them at home, but remove it as a staple of their diet. They will be healthier and they will not become accustomed to a high level of sugar intake.

May 10, 2011 at 8:21 am |
  34. CC

Here is an argument that puts "drinking Chocolate Milk" (1% lowfat) as a positive and healthy choice:

So who are we supposed to believe?

May 10, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  35. Gerry from Tampa, FL

Yes, I think Traditional Chocolate Milk should be banned and not given to students in school due to the non-healthy ingredients they have in them. I believe it's up to our school administrations to do "their Homework" and offer other healthy subsitutes of the same things kids want to have. For example, I drink a Chocolate Milk that is Dairy, Soy, Lactose, Gluten & MSG Free and I love it! Healthier choices are our there for our kids in shcool. Let's make our schols find them!

May 10, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  36. Ann Tremblay

Without chocolate milk in the schools, I wouldn't have been drinking milk AT ALL! Even chocolate cake has eggs and milk in it! Dark chocolate is good for us now! Focus on our education system and leave the chocolate milk alone! Have healthy choices on the menu. It is all about choices. Stop removing PE and recess.....and TEACH good nutrition....if we start controlling diets, we are "feeding" into Big Brother!

May 10, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  37. Marisa

No need for sugared milk! The lunches themselves are unhealthy enough (though slowly improving) – why offer them dessert to drink?

May 10, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  38. Ban Chocolate MILK?

They shouldn't ban it. They should just offer them the no sugar added version with their lunch. I'm a diabetic and I love chocolate milk, so I buy the no sugar added brand. Teach the children to make the right choices.
    Vincent

May 10, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  39. Kaira

Chocolate is over double the calories of plain 1% milk. Although milk is a good source of calcium, many children targeted foods are now heavily supplemented (think of all the extruded cereals with calcium and fiber claims). Even childrens vitamins now come in more appetizing forms like gummy bears. So offering a calorie laden drink just really is not necessary outside of flavor preference. Heck feed them YooHoo if they want chocolate.
    The schools are trying to do their part to help combat obesity and help us feed our children right, parents need to step up to the plate now.

May 10, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  40. James

So why not cut the sugar and leave the chocolate? Use low cal sweeteners. Take chocolate milk from kids Come on!

May 10, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  41. Anita Smith

Chocolate Milk Should be Banned. My Children have been extremely healthier since I asked them last year NOT to get chocolate milk. If our childrens bodies are healthier than they are more able to learn better. Schools need to shape up the nutrition programs. Our society has become lazy. We need to stop the convenience and go back to better standards.

May 10, 2011 at 8:18 am |
  42. John

Let's give the obese kids another poor dietary choice. There are other food choices that provide the same nutritional value as milk. But that may mean the kids have to add some vegetables to their diet. That would never happen given the nutritional direction of school food.

It's easier to get Fritos on the menu.

May 10, 2011 at 8:18 am |
  43. Brenda Alfaro

Of course, Have you not listened to your own Dr. Gupta or watched the video he recommended, "Sugar is a Toxin". Sugars without fiber, which is almost all of our foods, converts in the liver to FAT – the real cause of obesity in all of us. Even Baby Formula is almost 45% added sugars, which is why babies are fat now.

Sugars with Fiber do not. Chocolate milk made the Mexican way is perfect – cocoa, almonds, unprocessed sugar – sweet with fiber.

Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

All the nutritional guidelines we have been fed over the past 30 years is proven to have been wrong by Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods.. Please, we need more responsable reporting - when you add fructose, sucrose, artificial sugars you must add salt - natural fat is not the problem – sugar is the problem. and why is it in all of our processed foods – cheap, profitable. – time to boycott Nestles again?

May 10, 2011 at 8:17 am |
  44. Ann

With chocolate milk costing more and school budgets getting smaller, it should be discontinued. Also, School lunches are to provide nutrition. Plain skim milk, though not as exciting = nutrition.

May 10, 2011 at 8:17 am |
  45. S. Fisher

When I was in school, chocolate milk was on Fridays only. So why did we drink our plain old white milk the other 4 days a week? Because that is what was best for us. If we were offered chocolate bars, we would have taken them too. It doesn't mean we should have the option.

Come on, the kids that like chocolate milk also like white milk. Why are we giving kids the idea that sweets should be an everyday thing?

May 10, 2011 at 8:17 am |
  46. Patty Lodoen

The key to reducing health care costs in this country is healthier eating habits and more exercise. What better way to begin than in schools where children are forming lifelong eating and exercise habits. Milk should be skim and white.

May 10, 2011 at 8:17 am |
  47. Josephine Connolly Schoonen

Not sure if you want credentials associated with comments. I just submitted a comment and my crendentials are as follows: PhD, RD, Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine, Stony Brook University

Thanks – Josephine

May 10, 2011 at 8:17 am |
  48. Mike Jones

Banning chocolate milk isnt the answer for child obesity, in some way the technological advances we have made for our entertainment have kept kids inside instead of encouraging physical activity. Chocolate milk has been in schools for generations and a lot of people gain weight after school. So I just dont understand all the fuss. We act like sugar is killing kids, if you ask me laptops, I pads, and video games are hurting them more. Bottom Line send your kids outside at home!!!!

May 10, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  49. James Butler

Yes they should be banned. I graduated from a public school in upstate New York and nothing was available except milk. Today maybe juice would be a good choice. There were no vending machines for candy or soft drinks. I graduated in 1970 from New Lebanon Central School total enrollment about 360 k through 12.

May 10, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  50. DJ Hernandez

This is a no brainer. Chocolate milk should definately be banned. If they can't give our kids a world class education they can at least try to feed them better! When my kindergartener has a choice between regular milk and chocolate milk which one do you think she chooses? While they're at it get rid of all cola's and sugar loaded drinks and candy in on-campus vending machines!

May 10, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  51. Josephine Connolly Schoonen

Chocolate milk and other sweetened beverages (including fruit juice) should NOT be available in public schools. The childhood obesity epidemic is very real and associated with increasing type 2 diabetes, fatty liver and high blood fats (triglycerides). Schools should create an environment that facilitates adoption of healthy eating habits, including decreased sugar intake, as excessive sugar intake is driving the health problems noted above. When sweetened beverages not available, children will drink other beverages, plain milk or water. Bone health is very compplicated and excess sugar can have a negative impact on bone health through complicated mechanisms. We should not use the excuse that adding chocolate can increase milk intake to promote chocolate milk.

May 10, 2011 at 8:15 am |
  52. Dana

I do think chocolate milk should be banned from school lunches. If kids are given a choice, they will usually choose the sweeter option. As parents, we should intervene in helping them make the healthier decision. Obesity has so many negative implications for our children, and they look to us to help them make better decisions. This would be a great place to start.

May 10, 2011 at 8:15 am |
  53. Kathy Z

Chocolate milk should be banned from school. Besides the nutritional benefits of limiting sugar, consider the learning benefits. How many parents are at wits end when their kids have a sugar rush after drinking sugared drinks? Now multiply that times 25 or 35 kids in a class. How can that be good for learning? And as far as governments telling you what to feed your kids–they already do. USDA and state regulations have ruled the school lunchroom for decades, whether you have realized it or not. Let's just make the rules support healthy development of kids.

May 10, 2011 at 8:15 am |
  54. Armando de Jesus

it's hard enough to get my kids to eat right, chocolate milk is the only way I can be sure that they are getting the essential nutrients that they need .

May 10, 2011 at 8:15 am |
  55. Amanda

Why don't the school districts try to influence the manufacturers to reduce the sugar content? After all if it is such a big problem as they suggest, they must be important customers for these manufacturers and so should have suffucient leverage to achieve such change

May 10, 2011 at 8:14 am |
  56. Melissa

Chocolate milk VS Education.
    Thank god America has its priorities right... Chocolate milk at school debate on top news channel. No wonder the rest of the world laughs at us... Way to go, once again!!!
    (And yes, we have one of the worst education system in the civilized world, for undergrads)

May 10, 2011 at 8:14 am |
  57. Bekkah

Schools are places for children to learn. In a country battling obesity, why shouldn't we teach our kids that some food choices are better than others? Chocolate/Strawberry milk is not the same as Skim Milk!

May 10, 2011 at 8:13 am |
  58. Kim

All milk should be banned in schools, and replaced with water. The majority of children in this country are not properly hydrated. Students that are do better in school, and are healthier over all.

May 10, 2011 at 8:13 am |
  59. Charles

Milk is not the health drink everyone is brainwashed into thinking.
    Google it, broaden your mind. The Am Dairy Assoc is a business. They have been very successfully promoting thier product to make MONEY. I can't believe people are cutting down whole juices and pushing for milk.

May 10, 2011 at 8:11 am |
  60. Eddie Cruz

Chocolate milk should not be banned from schools. It's what the student's eat and drink after school that should be monitored by parents.

May 10, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  61. Willie Green, Texas

No, don't ban chocolate milk! When I was a kid it was the only milk that didn't taste like the bleach that they used to clean the refrigerator.

May 10, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  62. Eileen

WOW! that would be a mistake – that's what the kids like and will drink.
    don't have pizza,hot dogs,fried what ever every day.Try fresh
    fruit&veggies. maybe grilled chicken, salad.Fix what's broken.
    don't add a problem.get outside – ride a bike,skate,walk.
    my kids are in city schools all through high school.

May 10, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  63. Monica Carter, Oklahoma

No No No!! I have two children presently in Oklahoma schools, and another going next year. I also agree with several pro comments made by the viewers. Our public school struggle with keeping up with our changing times in education levels ALONE. They are constantly losing bonds just to improve, add on, or keep up with matience. I belive that worring about one small subject like chocolate milk is rediculous. I keep up with all my childrens lunches, not to mention have went and ate with them on several occations. TRUST ME, the milk was the best and most like item on the plate.

May 10, 2011 at 7:59 am |
  64. Pat

What every parent needs to understand is that we are talking about children with heart disease and diabetes. I think parents who want chocolate milk in schools are uninformed. My daughter would drink chocolate milk at every meal if she could. She can get it only on occasion at home but she can get it everyday at school. Look at the label and see the amount of sugar. I want her healthy and alive. Schools need to provide healthy food. I live in Corpus Christi which has one of the highest diabetes rates for children in the nation. We are what we eat.

May 10, 2011 at 7:57 am |
  65. Margaret Meeks

Flavored milks could be made healthier by reducing the sugar content. Rather than banning chocolate and strawberry milk, nutritional standards should be applied, banning high fructose corn syrup, and limiting the caloric content of the flavoring. Flavored milks sold by the dairy companies contain at least twice as much flavoring as needed to provide a tasty option for our children.

May 10, 2011 at 7:57 am |
  66. glen snopel

I am for the banning of chocolate milk. It is unhealthy.
    There is to much added sugar in cocolate milk, in many cases more than a can of soda. We need to stop adding sugar to everyting our kids drink. Some parents feel thier children may have a high metabolism and sugar doesn't make thier kids fat, It is still bad for thier organs.

May 10, 2011 at 7:52 am |
  67. Pam T

No it should not be banned – the food is so awful at school, at least leave them some enjoyment...

May 10, 2011 at 7:51 am |
  68. will

The problem with american kids being an overweight epidemic is because parents are over eaters themselves, and don't care about what there doing to there kids because there fat themselves.
    i witnessed this at the grocery story 1 day.. 7 things in cart. soda cakes cookies candybars chips doritos ect.mom was definatly scaling over 250lbs and daughter looked to be like 10 and at 100lbs.... so schools can do better on what they serve but not blame.. Can also be a problem of both parents working and never any supervision...

May 10, 2011 at 7:51 am |
  69. Tom Dobson

Chocolate milk is not the problem. It is actually quite healthy! See research
    Obesity is a lifestyle problem. Schools would be more effective against obesity by requiring students to be active.

May 10, 2011 at 7:51 am |
  70. Jim

Yes. Get rid of the chocolate milk, , Get rid of the sodas. Reduce the sugars and high fructose corn syrups. The schools should be doing MUCH better and chocolate milk is just a start.

May 10, 2011 at 7:51 am |
  71. susanna vigil-shuck

Get rid of chocolate milk! My girls are no longer allowed to get buy chocolate milk at school. They can have it at home, they drink plain, chocolate and strawberry milk at home since the powdered flavoring I buy has half the sugar that's in the schools chocolate milk. I wish water was in the cafeteria since my girls come home half dehydrated!

May 10, 2011 at 7:48 am |
  72. Lindsey

I am excited to see this change, even if it is a small one. Everyone seems to think that a little chocolate isn't a big deal, but those little bottles are not your mom's chocolate milk! It is loaded with as much sugar as a soda (and who knows what radioactive material is in that strawberry concoction).

Healthy changes should start in the home, but the school system should be teaching children how to make good, healthy choices. Every little bit helps.

May 10, 2011 at 7:47 am |
  73. S Chapin

When I was a kid chocolate milk was a treat not a staple, and not an option in school. With cuts in schools, athletics is now an option only for the elite athletes. Those with little ability have no chance. So why work out to make the team. No longer do you see peewee programs like you did in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

May 10, 2011 at 7:45 am |
  74. Natasha

At some point schools have to quit taking over for parents. When parents start standing up to public schools things like this won't even be a brought up. Get the kids up and moving and serve them something better than pudding and pizza and chocolate milk won't be an issue.

May 10, 2011 at 7:45 am |
  75. vinny

Provide more food options that are a healthier choice more than pizza. Get them to exercise more. Teach them about health as I am giving him choc milk at home.

May 10, 2011 at 7:44 am |
  76. Ashley s

I think it would also bring calcium consumption down... My nephew will only drink flavored milk, and I cannot stand white milk either... Just switch to 2% milk and sugar free chocolate... I'm sure it's the fried nuggets not the chocolate milk that's the problem.

May 10, 2011 at 7:42 am |
  77. Sarah

Absolutely not!!

May 10, 2011 at 7:40 am |
  78. James

The pink and brown sugared milks (there is no cocoa or strawberry in them) have more sugar in them than soft drinks. Kids drink these milks every single day, meaning hundreds of grams of unnecessary sugar are put into their bodies by the schools. It's all this completely unnecessary added sugar that's giving kids adult diabetes.

May 10, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  79. Phillip

Sure! and while we are at it, why not get rid of regular milk and replace it with water. Oh, and how about replace all food with lettuce... Give me a break... Children should be given the same choices as adults for what they want to eat.

May 10, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  80. Karen

I think banning chocolate milk in school isn't an ultimate solution for kids to stop becoming fat. There are a lot of other foods or drinks which make them fat. Besides, if school ban choco milk from children, they will drink other sodas or juices for substitution even more which leads them to become more obese. Rather than banning choco milk, school should ban greasy foods and provide more nutritious foods to children,

May 10, 2011 at 7:13 am |
  81. Colline

Personally I feel water is best for the children to drink when eating their meal. Having said that, chocolate milk is not the worst culprit on the lunch menu. Obesity is caused by a range of eating habits, and not chocolate milk alone.

May 10, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  82. Kristina Hood

Yes, this should be banned. Not only is it a deceptive drink to kids, it adds pounds. Why can't the normal drink be water? I know I am 34 and yes, I like Ice tea every now and then but , I was raised on water and thats about all I drink, Its natural! I think Jamie Oliver should be given credit to this issue as well, come on Food Revolution!

May 10, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  83. Jeff

Do a little research AM. We are the only country that pushes cows milk. The nurses study shows that the more you drink the less calcium your bones have. The dairie association has done a great job to promote the product.

May 10, 2011 at 6:56 am |
  84. Armin

If we are taking about schools, I believe schools should provide better food.

May 10, 2011 at 6:52 am |
  85. James Pizzariello

Discouraging an unhealthy diet is one thing. Banning the inclusion of toys in happy meals to limit the ability of fast food chains to market to kids, ok you're pushing it. But banning chocolate and strawberry milk? Its good to encourage good health and discourage unhealthy diets, but this trend of removing the very choice of what may even just be a less healthy option in flavored milk is not encouraging a healthy diet, it is forcing a lifestyle on the kids. What about the kids who aren't obese or out of shape? Why do they deserve to have their choices limited because of the shortcomings of others; and yes I'm referring to the role of the parents in a child's health because trust me, someone has been buying all of these kids happy meals because hey definitely weren't buying them themselves.

May 10, 2011 at 6:47 am |
  86. Francine

I do not think chocolate milk should be banned from school lunches. Personally, I don"t care for white milk, so when I have lunch in the cafeteria, I drink chocolate milk. Like my students, if I didn"t have that option, I would drink nothing with my lunch. I believe the benefits outweigh the danger, especially over the long term.

May 10, 2011 at 6:45 am |
  87. Frank

As a child, chocolate milk was only offered on our lunch menu on Fridays. It was perfect. It let us know the milk was treat that shouldn't be over indulged. While taking care of our body is important, the soul also needs to be nurtured. Comfort foods like chocolate milk and mac and cheese do that.

May 10, 2011 at 6:39 am |
  88. Brian Hanford

I think it is becoming evident our schools are determined to take the fun out of it. When I was a child I loved chocolate milk and enjoyed 8 ounces of chocolatey goodness every day at lunch. Had it not been for the tastiness of my delectable treat I probably would not have willingly drank any Calcium or Vitamin D. I say let em have it!! It's all they have left, plus I am pretty sure there is legislation somewhere banning the banning of Chocolate Milk. If there isn't there certainly should be!!

Brian Hanford
    Tucson AZ

May 10, 2011 at 6:38 am |
  89. Tracy

No they shouldn't. If parents don't like what the school is fixing their kids then they should be sending them to school with lunches already prepared. I don't believe that the school should make that choice. It should be by popular vote.

May 10, 2011 at 6:37 am |
  90. Martina from Florida

Good Morning,
    The small amount of chocolate milk our children drink at lunch has nothing to do with "the rise of child obesity"...The problem is our schools have cut back the amount of exercise our kids are getting! Remember when we had P.E. everyday, in every grade?? Now, P.E. is optional when the kids get to about the ninth grade .... We stress to our kids (4 teens) "you can eat whatever you want as long as it's in moderation.

Proportion size and exercise size are the key to control obesity in everyone....Get moving America!!!!

May 10, 2011 at 6:35 am |
  91. Rusty

Cutting any sugar is a plus!! The school lunches that children have to eat are horrible. I think it is our school's responsibility to provide well balance health menus which would be another piece of education for our children. We have to stop the vicious circle. Stop sitting on our hands and do something. Removing chocolate and strawberry milk is a start!

May 10, 2011 at 6:35 am |
  92. Katherine Gallagher

They should not ban chocolate milk, any way we can keep children drinking milk I want to keep...

May 10, 2011 at 6:34 am |
  93. Sonja

When given a choice between chocolate/strawberry and regular milk, kids will pick the one with more sugar. And even if it's only 6 or 7 more grams of sugar than regular milk, over the course of a week that sugar intake adds up. In the course of a year, even more so. and the course of a childhood...we are dealing with many kids with diabetes.

I think it's a good idea to only give them regular milk. When I was a kid, we only had regular milk, and I remember every kid drinking during milk break times and at lunch. Why not only give our kids healthy choices? I don't see why there is even a debate to keep our kids healthy.

May 10, 2011 at 6:34 am |
  94. Gina

No they shouldn't remove chocolate milk... but they should remove ALL enriched flour products!! THAT is what is making Americans fat!! Why don't you do a study/report on the effects of white bread/enriched flour on the body? THAT's the REAL NEWS!! 🙂

May 10, 2011 at 6:33 am |
  95. cassy hedges

I think it's important to know if Chocolate/Strawberry milk is banned, what are the alternate options. Plain milk and/or water? Or will they be adding sugary juices– which would be just as bad, if not worse, than the flavored milk.

May 10, 2011 at 6:33 am |
  96. John Prescott

Not only does my daughter's school not have chocolate milk anymore, but they ONLY have one percent milk. The result of this? My daughter drinks her milk at lunch maybe a third of the time. She hates it. How is this helping anyone? They need to stop trying to raise my child!

May 10, 2011 at 6:33 am |
  97. Brian Williams

Banning chocolate milk is not the answer to childhood obesity. Ice Cream and cookie snacks as well as sodas and parental guidance is the bigger issue.If Chocolate and Strawberry milk is banned for the content of 17 and 20 grams,then what is next,natural fruits because of their natural sugar???

May 10, 2011 at 6:33 am |
  98. Michele

Milk should stay in all schools. The added sugars are minimal especially if they are compared to the ice teas and orange flavored drinks the schools also offer. Milk, chocolate milk, strawberry milk and water should be offered by the schools. Milk will not be drank by too many kids if there is not a little flavor added. The school district needs to remember... Milk makes a body strong!! Even if there is a little chocolate or strawberry flavor added.

May 10, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  99. Jessica

Definitely not, I'm almost 30 and I won't even drink regular milk. This just seems to drive kids to alternitives like soda. I don't see the harm in 6g of sugart. Do we even have any rights anymore as to what we can let our kids eat and drink? I'd rather them have 6g of sugar, then the 40g in my soda in the fridge.

May 10, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  100. mechelle

NO I do not think choc milk should be banned at school. One little carten of milk never hurt anyone. Portion control plays a big part in a childs diet.

May 10, 2011 at 6:31 am |