American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 1st, 2011

Should college athletes be paid?

The stunning resignation of Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel has raised a lot of questions about college athletics, with some people suggesting that it may be time to overhaul the entire system.

This morning, ESPN senior writer and CNN columnist LZ Granderson discusses the pros and cons of paying college athletes and the various options for reform of the NCAA.

Filed under: Football • Sports
  1. Jedlund

When you say paid, you really mean legally.Please everyone wake up because this is even happening in smaller schools. I saw this happening in Jr Colleges for the athletes that had potential for Division 1. These Schools use the athletes to make millions of dollars.What if there was a cap per year but was based on their academic performance as well. You still have the fear of the agents.

June 2, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  2. J Nicole Ramsey

No way should college athletes get paid. For one they are already receiving a free college education that a growing number of high school graduates can't afford. Also if they start paying these kids it will kill what makes college ball greater than pro sports... the true love of the sport and team pride. Contract deals and ad endorsements don't crowd the true heart of the game because they play for school repetation alone.

June 2, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  3. bob

NO NO NO! if college athletes get paid then high school should too. you're in school to learn and sports is just another class and a way to show support and have fun while at school. there is way too much money controlling sports now, that is why i won't watch professional sports.

June 2, 2011 at 6:35 am |
  4. Amir

What's your opinion? I know this lady knows sports. I think Kobe is the greatest of all time. I just think thye liked mike . I think shawn kemp was a better dunker in the dunk comp but jordan was more marketable. by far. but I think Kobe kills mike all around. Period both hand dunks shoot from outside got that. I'm not shure I know she knws sports so I'll listen to her. He's the sneak attack on all time greatest. When he noone to pass to ............. he'll pass to himself legally. I don't blame mike If I could get away with the step hop dunk I would have done it myself. Ohh and who can forget making the palming or ballcaryinglegal in the NBA. Remember whenhe use to come from half talk and line himself up just outside three point land. YOu kow thee was about to be some sketchy carrying situations going on. Funny because a lot of times it was caught on film. remember all of those posters they would sell for fans and the reff would look like moreof a fan then a ruling party. Mike dunks Reff is smiling away.

June 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  5. slider

Let us see...they get a free college education if they stay and finish. They get a free place to live while in college. They get free food while in college. If they do well in sports then having gone to college opens the way for them to possibly play at the pro level. This doesn't even count all the special perks they get while in college. It seems to me that they are getting compensated quite well as it is.

June 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
  6. Ruth M.

I think so. If you take a young person into college on a scholarship & they are from a poor neighborhood/family, and you put them in an environment where a good portion of the students are from better advantaged families, the differences are apparent. The clothes, the cars, the spending money for meals, it can have an effect on the kids. It was that way even when I was in high school. The haves and the have-nots. If the school doesn't pay them directly allow the alumni foundations to assist them. Do something out in the open to keep these dark secrets from making criminals out of students just trying to keep up!

June 1, 2011 at 11:16 am |