American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 16th, 2011

Question of the Day: Would you change jobs if you could?

Hard economic times have many people clinging to their current jobs despite a desire to find a new one. While in more prosperous times these individuals might have decided to move on to new ventures, fear of taking a chance and a lack of opportunities have them staying in place, Bloomberg Business Week reports.

American Morning wants to know: Would you change jobs if you could?

Post your thoughts here and let us know what you think. Your answer could be read on American Morning.

Filed under: AM Asks
  1. RTR

Most Definitely! All promotional ladders have been eliminated; and with layoffs, I am doing the duties of 5 prior paid positions. I’m trying to hang on until the market gets better, but the stress and workload may force me out sooner.

June 16, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  2. Garrett

As I type this, I"m at the desk of the job that I love, but I am considering leaving. I have a few different options lined up and I really hope that I'm making the right decision. Getting better pay and benefits are great, but I cant help but feel that leaving this current job might mean less happiness for a bit more security. But who is to say that this current job might soon lead to that security? A recently heard a rumor that a possible promotion was headed my, so I can't help but feel a little off by decisiion to start looking for other employment. Ultimately, would I leave my job if I could? Yes, as long as it leads me in the right direction.

June 16, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  3. Frank E

FOUR YEARS AGO I HAD A THRIVING FLOORING BUSINESS , TODAY I'M WORKING AS A SECOND SHIFT JANITOR AT A LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL. I,M COLLEGE EDUCATED AND IN MY MID 50 s I WOULD ABSOLUTELY
    LOVE TO LOSE THE MOP AND BUCKET. BUT BEING TIED TO THE HOUSING MARKET I CAN,T SEE IT HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON.

June 16, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  4. Steve

I have been in medical research for the past 10 years. It has been a most rewarding career, both peronally and professionallly. Money is not everything, you have to enjoy what you do everyday.

June 16, 2011 at 8:14 am |
  5. Harold S

The way companies move jobs off shore, it's a wonder that there are any jobs left for Americans to do!

June 16, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  6. Sarah

i would leave so fast they wouldn't even see me go!

June 16, 2011 at 8:02 am |
  7. TY

No, I would not change my job. However, being a general contractor in home improvements, business is about 30% from the norm and I have laid off 90% of my employees running only a single crew with some taking pay cuts to keep afloat.

June 16, 2011 at 8:01 am |
  8. Stephen Fordice

I would not change jobs. I work for myself, so I have flexible hours and (needless to say) an outstanding boss.

June 16, 2011 at 8:00 am |
  9. Go4It

If changing jobs will change your life "Go for it!", else sit tight.

June 16, 2011 at 7:59 am |
  10. Bob

Absolutely. I was unemployed for 15 months then hired at 55% of my previous salary. I can pay my bills but have no money to live. It is time to get back to living.

June 16, 2011 at 7:56 am |
  11. Anti

I like my job, but I would like to see more exposure for the art and music, take a listen to my new album.

June 16, 2011 at 7:51 am |
  12. spanky

I would absolutely quit my job if I could, companies who treat their employees badly would not be able to do so if we had other options. Adding hours,adding extra responsibilities that shouldn't be part of a job description, stingy on approving PTO, constant questioning about how one could do better...all while we can plainly see the folks in the corporate office being given many perks & kickbacks. Since full time jobs with benefits are hard to come by (without re-locating) they have us over a barrel.

June 16, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  13. Dawid

I work at Taco Bell in the Chicago suburbs. I work forty hours as a junior in high school. I work nights. I'm getting paid $7.75/ hour. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that I don't need a job that makes me happy. I just need something that helps pay my family's bills. In general, I say if I could change jobs I wouldn't. I need it.

June 16, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  14. Bill from Michigan

Does a bear poop in the woods?

June 16, 2011 at 7:22 am |
  15. tod hale

The wife and I are DINK's, have graduate degrees, enjoy our work and have lived well within our means. This actually allows me to pursue my ultimate dream job in my spare time....feature dancer.

June 16, 2011 at 7:15 am |
    • Go4It

@tod... very funny.

June 16, 2011 at 8:05 am |
  16. Stephan

This is an employers market. That means that some employers take advantage of the HUGE and hungry labor force available and take advantage of the people they hire because, as they say: "If you don't like it, There's the door!"
    I'm older. I see the changes in the market. It is times like these that eventually gave rise to unions and strikes. The pendulum swings. History will most likely repeat itself, as it tends to.

June 16, 2011 at 7:09 am |
  17. Robert Vinson Brannum

For many people not having a job and trying to stay in the game to support their family and to remain remain active in their community is a "job." However, would many people change "jobs" – YES.

@robert158

June 16, 2011 at 7:05 am |
  18. Joseph L.

My company was forced into bankruptcy by a combination of market loss and Chinese compitition.So I will be changing jobs at some point.You had a story on housing.You obviously dont understand the problem.Forclosure is a result of job loss and lack of real wages.People dont have money,they dont pay thier bills.This causes forclosure which makes home values bottom out.You might go to these destressed towns and note the number of shuttered factories.Tell the whole story.There are about 4 large factories here that are empty.Some dated back to the 30s.Thats not to mention the ones that have been dismantled in the last 10 years.My plan right now is to ride my unemployment and my savings and hope for the best.Going to Wal Mart and buying buggies full of Chinese junk has broke this countries back.Alot of it has to do also with the refusal of economists to understand that to grow the economy you have to put money into it.Handing out tax cuts to the rich so they can invest in Emerging markets as they call them is foolish.The idea that everything must be done on a global scale has led to the troubles we have.Politicians created our huge debt by dumping money everywhere but here.We try to control the world through econonomics and by the barrel of a gun and the results are clear.Our enrgy policy is non-existant.This is because if we dont buy cheap foreign oil someone else will(China,Russia,Ect)couldnt have that.It shames me that as a child I was taught to hate communisim and cheer the fight of the cold war.It seems Communism isnt so bad thee days as Wall Street loves some Chi-Coms We could have saved alot of money if we had just gotten the Russians to do our manufacturing for 2 dollars an hour.So you see when you report on the housing crisis,please most of us are a little smarter than that I hope.Tell the whole story.

June 16, 2011 at 7:00 am |
    • TY

You hit the head of the nail! I agree fully. Far too many jobs has been out sourced to other countries. We as Americans can not consume if we do not have jobs to buy. If we don't change this, as a county we will be doomed. Government can't make jobs for the average American, but they can stop the out sourcing by taxing the hell out of American companies that took jobs out of our country and returns the products to the U.S. for profit. The NAFT and FTA is killing us along with the huge tax breaks to big oil.

June 16, 2011 at 8:12 am |
  19. Yvonne

I work for the Dept of the Army and the only way I would leave is if I won the lottery. I work very hard, but I make good money, have good benefits, and my co-workers are awesome.

June 16, 2011 at 6:58 am |
  20. arief

Yes. I believe that i could do so much more and be more productive if i can get a job base on my experience and education. However, its hard nowadays to get a job that fits you and thats why i just take for whatever job available out there.

June 16, 2011 at 6:29 am |
  21. Geetanjali

RIght Away! I'm way underpaid. The problem however is that for last 2 years I am applying frantically but have not had even a SINGLE interview. I'm well educated with 2 post-graduate degrees and substantial experience.

June 16, 2011 at 6:22 am |
  22. GW

One of my dreams was to be able to change jobs constantly, moving to whatever interests me at the moment. Today it's actually possible. There's a fast and easy way to get jobs: http://goworkit.com . They match workers and businesses within 15 minutes, so a business can have a worker on the ground the same day, to fill in for an absent worker or long term. It's the new, much more efficient way to work the job market, and it could be a major part of the solution to unemployment.

June 16, 2011 at 6:19 am |
  23. Leola Roberts

Since I have been underemployed for the past three years, I am doing everything I know how to get a full time teaching job. I am certified in four subjects, have 11 years experience, yet am having to look out of state, even internationally, for schools that can afford to hire experienced teachers.

June 16, 2011 at 5:50 am |
  24. April

What job?

June 16, 2011 at 5:50 am |
  25. Markus W.

Nope, I wouldn't change it for the world. I'm a Chicago Cop and I enjoy every moment of it.

June 16, 2011 at 5:45 am |