American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 22nd, 2011

Actor Kevin Kline advocates for diabetes research

Kevin Kline is not only an Oscar winning actor, he's also a co chair of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation's Advocacy Program and a parent to a child diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Aaron Kowalski, Ph.D. is a researcher with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and suffers from type 1 diabetes himself. Both join Kiran Chetry and Carol Costello this morning to discuss the importance of increasing funding for research on juvenile diabetes.

Kline shares how he and his family are personally affected by the gravity of the disease. Kowalski offers his thoughts about a potential cure in the future from great strides made today. Both will testify before the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs today to urge federal officials to advance the testing of artificial pancreas systems, which could dramatically change the day-to-day management of type 1 diabetes.

1. Dawn aka Grandizzle

Thank-you . we need education on how serious this disease is. My grandson was diagnosed last year ....just before his 4 th birthday. I never understood this disease until then.... All type 1 diabetics are my heroes, every day is a gift.... A big shout- out to all the parents who help their children with this.. God Bless your Mission ...Dawn in .Fla....

June 27, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
  2. Linda Barnette

God Bless you Kevin Kline for speaking on behalf of all parents and individuals with type 1 intelligently. So grateful you are doing this for JDRF and your family too:)

June 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  3. Kathy Castino

Thank you Mr. Kevin Kline for your efforts in finding a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Our family is also affected as our grandaughter was diagnosed at 13 months old. She is now 3 yrs.of age. We had no idea what Type 1 meant. Though managable, as you said it is a very constant thing in all of our lives. I think about it all the time. I am so pleased that you and other celebrities who have a platform are speaking out on behalf of this devastating disease. I pray constantly for a cure.

June 23, 2011 at 5:11 am |
  4. dejahthoris

The most superb clip on this subject I have ever seen! Finally a report on type 1 diabetes where I did not feel like beating my head against the wall because of stupid statements. Refreshing!

June 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  5. T1mum

Thank you Kevin for being a crusader for all type one parents. Our son was diagnosed at 19 months and is now a happy active four year old. Your work gives us a voice and we are so thankful. Best of luck to you and your beautiful family.

June 22, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  6. Sean

Thank you for shining a light on this disease.

June 22, 2011 at 11:45 am |