American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 22nd, 2011

Question of the Day: What do you want to hear from the President tonight?

(CNN) President Barack Obama will deliver a highly anticipated speech Wednesday evening at 8pm ET about troop withdrawal from Afghanistan.

On Tuesday, an administration official told CNN that Obama will announce that 30,000 U.S. "surge" forces will be fully withdrawn from Afghanistan by the end of 2012. However, outgoing Defense Secretary Robert Gates has pushed for additional time to roll back Taliban gains in the country before starting any significant drawback.

American Morning wants to know: What do you want to hear from the President tonight?

Post your answer here. Your response could be included on this morning's broadcast.

Filed under: AM Asks
  1. Amanda B.

As an Air Force spouse, I have come to understand the importance of the mission in Afghanistan. Of course I want our troops to come home ASAP and don't want my husband to be deployed. I understand we are weary of the war. However, I think it is more important for President Obama to define an ending GOAL for the Afghanistan war, not a date. He should communicate with the American people WHY we need to stay in and get the job done. Most people hear about the deaths and trauma associated with the war.

I wish more people knew about the accomplishments and the positive aspects of the war. We shouldn't pull our troops out with our tails tucked. I want to hear that he is listening and trusting our commanders. I believe that if we execute a quick pullout, we'll just be back.

Define the mission. Get the job done. Get out with honor.

June 22, 2011 at 8:29 am |
  2. Steve Valenti

Do Americans really think that the war is over? Its a different war. Do you really think that bringing the war home is better than taking it to them? Wake up, the only reason America has not been hit again is because of our "military vigilance" not negotiation. We need to keep our presence there

June 22, 2011 at 8:13 am |
  3. WETFUSE13485

I want the military personnel to come home as soon as possible but not at the cost of losing all that we gained. If we do not be careful, the terrorist that we pushed out will return and we will have to return to Afghanistan. I believe that our efforts need to be America First because these wars have costed America our economy. After spending 8 years of my life there fighting, I do not want to see it lost because of politics but that is the call of the day. Politics rule over common sense.

US NAVY RETIRED SCPO
    5326 (SO/S.E.A.L.) 21 YRS OF MILITARY SERVICE

June 22, 2011 at 8:11 am |
  4. Michael Knight

We spend an average of $5500.00 every second of every day on the wars in afghanistan and Iraq. I would like to hear that this money is coming home to help suffering american citizens.

June 22, 2011 at 8:07 am |
  5. Darius Watson

Its interesting that despite many warnings and discussions to the contrary, that most people are agitatiing for our withdraw from Afghanistan since the death of Bin Laden. The simple truth is that if we are in Afghanistan to fight the WoT then Bin Laden's death really hasn't changed anything and we should stay. More disturbing however, if we were there solely to get Bin Laden, its a fair question to then ask: "Was all the money spent and lives lost worth our revenge against one man?"

June 22, 2011 at 8:07 am |
  6. Jessica

WHERE IS THE DISCONNECT? I hear this magic number, how did they come to that? Living next to the largest military installation I can tell you that troops are still being sent to Afghanistan. Something is not right, the President says he is taking troops home, but is still sending them over? I need him to explain why they say they are sending some home and downsizing,but they are still sending troops over. To me is all sounds like a big political play on words. Technically he is sending some home so maybe that is the truth BUT they are ALWAYS on rotation in and out. I wish someone would just speak clearly. Give us clear understanding and justify their being there, or SEND THEM HOME and figure it out later!

June 22, 2011 at 8:04 am |
  7. Barb

Afghanistan will only experience change when a large enough majority of its own people want it enough to fight for it. America had to make that sacrifice many times in her past. I want the President to help the people to understand our need to bring our troops home and our money. I deeply desire that President Obama tell the big money people in the military weapons production industry that we will no longer be funding their obscene nest eggs with the tax dollars of Americans or the lives of their children. We need to fund and investigate better ways to employ and educate our people for jobs that don't require being shot at.

June 22, 2011 at 8:04 am |
  8. stagger lee

IM RESIGNING

June 22, 2011 at 8:00 am |
  9. mark

I would like to hear an effective exit strategy that leaves Afghanistan sovereign and emphasis world peace.

June 22, 2011 at 5:39 am |