American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 23rd, 2011

Question of the Day: Should Casey Anthony take the stand?

The parents of Casey Anthony do not believe she is innocent, their lawyer Mark Lippman told CNN's Gary Tuchman on Wednesday. They do not, however, want their daughter to receive the death penalty for the killing.

In Anthony's case, defense attorney Jose Baez has not said whether Casey will take the stand, although it is ultimately always a defendant's decision whether to testify or remain silent.

Seasoned criminal defense lawyers are split down the middle:  Some see huge risks and questionable benefits; others say Anthony's lawyers have little choice but to put her on the stand.

American Morning wants to know: Should Casey Anthony take the stand?

Post your response here. Your answer could be included in this morning's broadcast.

Filed under: AM Asks
  1. Anna

She is a pathological liar and would only dig a bigger hole for herself. Casey taking the stand would only appease the public as we all want justice for Caylee. But there is no way her defense will let her take the stand and get eaten alive by the prosecution. Sadly I do think this case will end in a mistrial or she will get a lesser charge. If Caylee had been found sooner we would have been able to determine the cause of death and there would be no reasonable doubt.

June 23, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  2. Marco Adonis

I believe that Casey taking the stand would be even more devestating to their case, however, without some burden of proof of alledged molestation and alledged accidental drowning the defense might not have the evidence the jurors need to hear to determine reasonable doubt. Thus far in this case the defense has not introduced enough evidence to even slightly support their opening statement. The defenses expert witnesses have such long drawn out testimony that I doubt the jury has even grasped one third of the complicated "forensic" sciences that are being introduced to them. On top of that, the procecution has by far made most of these experts testify in their favor durring cross exam. In order to support the drowning and molestation allegations Casey must testify. But the defense will not allow it because the jury is well familiar with her "web of lies".

June 23, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  3. Jean Lankton

If I was her attorney, I certainly would not put her on the stand. This young lady obviously did something to her daughter, and we may never know what or how. At this point I would think Mr. Baez is simply trying to keep Casey from getting the death penalty. Putting her on the witness stand, to try and weed her way thru one lie after another against a seasoned prosecutor, would be a mistake...in my opinion.

June 23, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  4. tod hale

She is a pathological liar and Baez is an egomaniac. I'm sure in his mind reasonable doubt has been established. There is NO WAY she takes the stand unless Baez truly thinks they have no chance, then she'll get up there and "come clean" with some story such as "it was an accident, I was just trying to knock her out w/ chloroform so I could go out. I never wanted her to die....sob..sob.." and the juriy returns with guilty on the lesser charge that doesn't have the death penalty as an option.

June 23, 2011 at 7:03 am |
    • jennifer

I agree. Similarly, when the parents say they don't think she's "innocent," but also don't think she's "guilty," I think they mean that they suspect she accidentally killed Caylee (i.e., she was trying to knock her out with chloroform so she could go out) and then covered it up, which would make her not exactly "innocent" but also not "guilty" of first degree murder.

June 23, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  5. Knekkos Nichols

Casey Anthony should not take the stand. She's already in a deep enough hole as it is now. Her defense team is not going to let her get up there and let the state mince her stories into little pieces. Myself, like most Americans want to see her put away; but taking the stand would only be for our benefit. Not hers. We just want to hear the demon talk to get a better feel of her. For her best interest she shouldn't take the stand. Let her stay ambiguous.

June 23, 2011 at 7:01 am |
  6. Sharon Bogney

with the kind of attention the case has gotten it may appease the audience to have her take the stand in her own defense; but honestly that will be the worst thing that she can do at this time. her defense team has tried to create enough "reasonable doubt" and the way it is it can either turn in her favor or not; but having her on the stand will be like serving her to the wolfs because the prosecution will tear her down.

June 23, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  7. Dan Neebes

Hello American Morning Staff. I am a High School student so it has been awhile since I've seen American Morning because I've been catching up on some much needed Z's. But i must say, Kiran I love your new hairstyle. And on Casey Anthony, she should NOT take the stand. I don't think the defense would really achieve anything by putting her on the stand and the defense wouldn't want to put themselves into the position of having Casey corss examined.

June 23, 2011 at 6:15 am |
    • Dan Neebes

Thank you for reading my post on air! You guys at American Morning made my day.

June 23, 2011 at 6:58 am |
  8. Roger

Yes, she should take the stand.

June 23, 2011 at 6:11 am |
  9. michelle tyler

I think it would be in her best interest to not testify & I doubt she will. I really wish she would though because we all know she'd go up their & dig her own grave. It's unfortunate that she doesn't have to.

June 23, 2011 at 5:51 am |