American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 30th, 2011

Question of the Day: Obama told Congress yesterday to get to work. Will the two sides solve the debt issue?

(CNN) - President Obama held his first news conference since March on Wednesday and was asked questions on a wide range of issues from debt ceiling talks between the White House and Congress to gay rights to Afghanistan and Libya.

In relation to the deficit talks, Obama called on lawmakers to overcome the "selfish" norms of politics and "do their job" in order to strike a deal on raising the federal government's current $14.3 trillion debt ceiling by the start of August. People shouldn't get "spooked," but "the yellow light is flashing," he warned. "This is urgent."

American Morning wants to know: Obama told Congress yesterday to get to work. Will the two sides solve the debt issue?

Post your response here. Your answer could be included in this morning's broadcast.

Filed under: AM Asks
  1. NonaCarole from WA

I was proud that the President showed his disgust with the Repubs! OBama was not my choice but I don't think anyone would or could have done better with the MESS that was left when W & group left town. I don't think the average American voter really understands what is at stake for our Nation if we "default"... it ain't gonna be pretty folks! I'm so sick of these "delay tactics" & "hate OBama" end-a-round that's going on, I say let the blame for all of it land @ the Repubs door & let them "reap what they have sown"... Voters aren't stupid & when this financial crisis hits full force, which it will if nothing is done, believe me those responsible will pay the price.

June 30, 2011 at 6:35 am |
  2. Dianna

Tea Party members of the Republican party and the main stream
    Republican’s sure do not get the issue of the impact here at home and how it all plays out around the world.
    It is embarrassing as a US citizen to see our congress behave this way. I feel that President Obama, Vice President Biden and many, many others with common sense have kept trying to work this out, but my confidence level is pretty low right now that this will play out in a good way.
    It is heart breaking to see our continued progress the last two years be derailed by these ignorant actions.

June 30, 2011 at 6:26 am |
  3. Stefan Pettit

I think that the republicans are going to say nothing good to anyone. I think that they are the leadding cause of this country falling apart. Obama is the person to try to fix this county but the rep. are just turning him down. If this country can some how stay as one the republicans have to give the president a chance to turn this county back around on a good side. With the money problem i think that the republican have to give up some of there money up because they can't even think of any way to spend it because they already have everything they want. Obama need to first of all help out his country first and then start to pay china back. I thing the people with more money shood help out the country and start to pay back china. we own like 14. 8trillian dollars and the people with the most money should start paying up.

June 30, 2011 at 6:13 am |
    • Pete Haberly

I agree with Stefan, but am puzzled that CNN and other "news specialists" are reluctant to state the obvious, that the ONLY Republican agenda is to see Obama (our first black president) fail at the expense of the United States of America.They say they want smaller government, but continue to write laws and additional agencies to restrict abortions, drug test welfare recipients, and take away workers rights to bargain, while doing NOTHING to save our financial stability.

June 30, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  4. Linda Begley

I have serious doubts that the Congress will be able to make a compromise and raise the debt ceiling. While the Democrats have stated that they are willing to make concessions on major issues the Republicans have dug their heels in and won't budge. They had better wake up. We, the people, are fed up with it. If the government defaults it will cause major repercussions both here and abroad and will raise the interest rates on what our creditors charge us when we can least afford it. This after they voted themselves a 6.1 million dollar bonus! That alone shows how out of touch they are with the American public. ENOUGH! As the President said, "JUST GET IT DONE". We, the people, won't to see that you take responsiblity or I can promise you it will be a blood bath for the Republicans come election time.

June 30, 2011 at 6:10 am |
  5. Steven

Does everyone remember Leave it to Beaver? They played it in reruns when I was a kid, so everyone my age or older should have at least seen it. The "model" for the Middle Class American Dream, right? During its original run, which was from ...1958-1963, the marginal tax rate was 91%. Fact is, with the exception of a dip in 1988-92, the "rich" are paying the lowest tax rate since 1916, with far more loopholes at their disposal.

June 30, 2011 at 5:59 am |