American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 8th, 2011

Question of the day: What is your favorite space movie and why?

Atlantis is scheduled to blast off into space today for the 135th and final mission of NASA's 30-year shuttle program.

More than one million spectators are expected to converge on Cape Canaveral, FL to witness the launch.

Space travel continues to fascinate people around the world and has inspired countless films and television shows.

American Morning wants to know: What is your favorite space movie and why?

Post your response here. Your answer could be included in this morning's broadcast.

Filed under: AM Asks
  1. Tom R

The original "The Day the Earth Stood Still.". We were warned, gently but firmly, to keep our squabbling to ourselves. If we took our aggressions off planet, the consequences would be fatal. The choice was ours.

July 8, 2011 at 8:47 am |
  2. Ripley - Savannah, GA

While I love all science fiction and space movies, i.e. Star Trek, Star Wars, Aliens, Space Cowboys, Apollo 13, 2001, 2010, etc. My current favorite is "Serenity". The movie was a continuation of the far too short lived "Firefly" series. The main characters are a group of lovable rogues and idealists that are primarily smugglers trying to survive in a universe controlled by an amoral and cruel totalitarian regime. The story and special effects are all great but it's the characters, who risk all to do the right thing, that really make this the great movie it truly is.

July 8, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  3. Tom Saladino-Venice,Fl

Space travel has always fascinated me. It started with Flash Gorden,then Star Track and now the worm hole Star Gate.

July 8, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  4. James

Space cowboys is my favorite movie. Shows old guys still have what it takes. Donald Sutherland's character is hilarious especially when he comments on his chick magnet abilities and also when he takes the eye exam. Those should be classic scenes.

July 8, 2011 at 8:38 am |
  5. Rico

Star wars1-7 because it is action packed

July 8, 2011 at 7:22 am |
  6. Wesley1

My favorire space movie was Silent Running.It showed how much space programs affect life on earth and the results of losing that part of our lives(in a somewhat unlikely manor).

July 8, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  7. TORONTORON

SPACE BALLS WITH JOHN CANDY WAS THE FUNNIEST MOVIE WITH A SPACE THEME.

July 8, 2011 at 7:06 am |
  8. Roger

E.T. is one of the most emotional effected movie in the time it effects everyone young and old imagine any thing is possible in life feeling of opening of caring

July 8, 2011 at 6:34 am |
  9. Les

Starman
    How can you pick just one but many of my favorites are:Star Wars,
    Destination Moon
    ET
    Close Encounters
    Apollo 13

July 8, 2011 at 6:22 am |
  10. Chris

I like several, but at the top of my list are 2010 The Year We Make Contact, way ahead of it's time, the third installment of the Alien series, one of the best movies ever of any genre if you ask me, and of course, The Last Starfighter. I love the idea that an alien race is putting video games across the galaxy to find the people who are the best at using their warships. It was such a good idea in fact, that if it hadn't been thought of, Speilberg would have come up with it. I hope they make a remake. Oh and of course, Independence Day and Contact. Have a great day and may the force be with you!

July 8, 2011 at 6:14 am |