American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 19th, 2011

GOProud, gay conservative group, on why they want meet with Rep. Bachmann

GOProud, the only national organization representing gay conservatives and their allies, wants to meet with Congresswoman Michele Bachmann.

The group says Bachmann's campaign could benefit from the meeting, giving the presidential candidate hopeful a chance to clarify her stance on gay rights.

Today on American Morning, Ali Velshi talks to Chris Barron, co-founder and Board of Directors Chairman of GOProud, about his group's desire to speak with Congresswoman Bachmann and to discuss whether he thinks gay rights will be a hot topic during the upcoming presidential election.

Posted by:
Filed under: GOP • Politics
  1. Jim

What the Mr. Barron was saying was very simple people. It's not that they "aren't" going to stand up for gay rights. It's simply that, they agree with the general conservative view and gay rights are not the primary obstacle facing them right now. They are Americans like the rest of us. Just because they're gay doesn't mean they aren't being affected by the same things the rest of us are affected by. Like the President spending us into oblivion. I'm straight, but I think this organization is awesome. The fact is, this group of people are more open minded than the majority of gays who blindly follow the liberal left. This organization realized that the liberal agenda is not good for anyone. There are an increasing number of straight conservatives like myself, who are all for gay rights. While we are different, we all still have the right to live our lives how we choose...and cut spending.

July 23, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Kimberly

What rights are gays fighting for exactly? Last time I checked, there were no civil rights denied them. Civil rights consist of voting, free speech (et al), equal protection under the law. What gay people seem to want are special rights... meaning no criticism whatsoever of their way of life. What you do in the privacy of your own bedroom does not define who you are and should not give you special rights. I'm tired of hearing people say, "I'm gay" or "I'm (fill in the blank)" as if that changes you from a human being into something else. Let's stop dividing ourselves up into sub groups!

July 22, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
  3. steveflesher

Straight liberals who pretend to care about gay rights are no different than white liberals who pretend to listen to jazz in order to appeal to the blacks.

July 21, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  4. JonInVa

Don't fall for it. It's just another ploy to muddy up the waters and infiltrate (and corrupt) the GOP/Conservative base from the inside. It's all part of the gay agenda. They've already accomplished it in the media, education, and religion. You cannot be gay and be a conservative. You can be a fiscal Republican, of course, but the fact they want to discuss her stance on "gay issues" shows its all about the agenda. Again, do not be fooled.

July 21, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  5. Paul

I sure wish the 'gays' on both sides of the political aisle would realize that it's not all about THEM!! I don't know if it's symptomatic of their emotional psychosexual pathology, that they're so narcissistic and self-centered that they think the entire world revolves around them and the private parts & where they choose to put them. They apparently believe that their agenda is the only one in the world that matters, the only one that everyone else in the entire rest of the world is supposed to be concerned about, but the plain, objective truth is: Most people simply don't care. We don't care to hear the ugly details of their sex-lives, we don't care to hear their asinine arguments in favour of 'gay' marriage (how something so ludicrous and insane should even be seriously discussed is beyond me) or 'gays' in the military, or whatever. (And we sure as hell don't want elementary-school kids brainwashed into that lifestyle, thank you very much!) We've got bigger fish to fry (such as keeping the country from going bankrupt and going into another Great Depression, to name a couple of minor issues.) If the 'gays' really have any small iota of patriotism whatsoever (which I'm beginning to doubt), if they really care about what's best for the nation as a whole, then they should realise that we've got more important issues and problems to worry about right now, and it's not realistic to expect the entire country and society to be turned upside-down, just to suit their own selfish, self-centered demands and agenda.

July 21, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  6. Jeshurun Pale

It is not politically advantageous to meet with them. To appear to give the homosexual lobby credence is to risk a lot of votes. To oppose it is to bring the din of the haranguers and shrill toothless media against you. Best to politely forget to schedule them.

July 20, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  7. Jude

"Issues important to gay conservatives". That equals issues important to conservatives. Health care, Social Security, etc. All of these are much easier if people can get married. Why say you are a gay group when really you are a conservative group first?

July 20, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  8. travis

It is called Holy Matrimoney. Not Municipal Matrimoney. Lets get the govt out of the marriagebusiness and give it back to the church. The Govt can do civil unions which SHOULD give the same benefits that married folks get. As a Christian I believe that homosexuality is a sin. However God gave us free will and the "Right to be wrong" about every thing in life. As long as it is between consenting adults what do I as a Tax Payer care? God does not want us to use the Federal Govt to push morality on everyone else however he does want the Church to be the Moral Compass for society. To quote Thomas Jefferson " If it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg what do I care?"

July 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  9. MrReliable

By "stand up for gay rights," what you actually mean is "stand up for Democrats," "stand up for liberalism," "stand up for socialism."

You're hiding behind gays to promote your political agenda.

It's just one of the constant examples of liberals demanding an intellectual head start.

July 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  10. Rick Walls

Why do we have these discussions? The Bill of Rights are for the individual NOT group rights.

July 20, 2011 at 9:39 am |
  11. Brad

I am a 29 year old republican and I am very supportive of GOProud. I have felt for some time that being gay is just as natural as being left handed and I do not, and would not, support anyone who feels that pray is an answer for being gay. I thank CNN for having Mr. Barron on this morning but I felt that Ali Velshi interview was extremely disrespectful to the guest. Mr. Velshi continuously interrupted the guess and acted like he would not accept any answer that he gave. I am a big fan of American Morning but I felt that the way Ali Velshi conducted this interview was very poor and I just felt like I wanted to voice my issue.

July 20, 2011 at 12:21 am |
  12. Mike

It never hurts to listen to them but any Republican that doesnt fight against gay marriage will not get my vote.

July 19, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • al

Its that kind of attitude that paralyses your country. No respect for other peoples's rights. I think the US is getting just what they deserve and have brought on themselves. God Bless America? I think God is kicking you in the arse!

July 20, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  13. TSkot

If GOProud isn't going to stand up for gay rights, why do they exist at all? Why identify themselves apart from any other conservative organization?

July 19, 2011 at 7:21 pm |