American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 27th, 2011

Question of the Day: What would you like to tell your elected representative?

In his address to the nation on Monday night, President Obama called on the American people to "make your voice heard" and call members of Congress about the debt talks gridlock.

Since Obama's speech, House switchboards have been flooded by phone calls - nearly twice the normal average - and hit with an unusual volume of constituent e-mails as voters voice their concerns over the worsening debt-ceiling crisis.

American Morning wants to know: What would you like to tell your elected representative?

Post your response here. Your answer could be included in this morning's broadcast.

Filed under: AM Asks
  1. Bob Dean

I would hope people will remember these games politicians are playing in the 2012 elections ... News service need to remind some at that time.

July 27, 2011 at 8:03 am |
  2. Aaln

Although I didn't vote for Rick Scott as a Florida resident, your interview of him this morning was the most disrespectful display since Rather interviewed Bush 1 almost 20 yrs ago and almost hung up on him. STOP INTERRUPTING YOUR GUESTS WHEN THEY'RE TALKING, AND LET THEM ANSWER QUESTIONS WITHOUT YOUR INTERVENING COMMENTARY. The interview is about the guests, not your screaming at them.

July 27, 2011 at 8:03 am |
  3. Bob Moderhak

I believe that any cutbacks in entitlement programs should be matched by cuts in Congressional pay, Congressional health care and Congressional retirement benefits. If "everyone" should share in the cuts, then Congress should be at the head of the group.

July 27, 2011 at 8:02 am |
  4. Matthew Ford

Nothing will happen if we let the debt ceiling expire. We will get a downgrade on our credit rating anyway at this point. The ten year treasury and the thirty year treasury is what will affects the consumers interest rates and they will only have a moderate increase at best.

July 27, 2011 at 8:01 am |
  5. David Won

I would like to tell everyone in congress and white house to stop this circus of positioning each parties for 2012 elections with these childish games. Furthermore the twisting of truth and straight forward lies I see from the Republicans about debate ceiling and other issues are offensive.

We need new laws to punish politicans for lying and voting against the people they are suppose to serve.

July 27, 2011 at 8:00 am |
  6. Bonner Richardson

I'm a good ole Southern boy. When a cry baby throws a tantrum when he doesn't get his way, you give him a quick kick in the pants and tell him to "grow up". John Boehner...you're way overdue.

July 27, 2011 at 6:48 am |
  7. Jose V

It is clear that this congress has one agenda and that is to see this President fail and any cost. As a American who votes I find offensive that these congressmen think we are so ignorant that we can't through this farse. Stop the nonsense and compromise so that America can begin to focus on the real problems that we face every day and that is Jobs. Shame on all of you and come 2012 we will remember this polically driven agenda that these tea party members have devised. I am frustrated and angry that my country has taken such free fall from what was once the greatest country in the world.

July 27, 2011 at 6:48 am |
  8. Brad

If I could tell my Representatives anything, I would just tell them to compromise. I, like them, have ideals that I'd love to stick to. There comes a point, however, where you simply have to pick and choose your battles. Some may argue that it's far more complex that a simple "give this, take that" scenario, but those are also the ones who would rather see America default to their own political gain than fix the problem on Obama's watch.Though I'm only 19, I feel that this just goes to show how motivated these politicians are to advance their personal agenda rather than sit down like adults and hash out a solution to a problem the common man cannot do anything about. If politics weren't always so dirty, I'd seriously consider that as a career track as I enter my second year of university. Thanks for setting such a great example, Washington.

July 27, 2011 at 6:47 am |
  9. Marissa

Tax the rich, they've had too many years of financially supporting any country but the US by creating jobs in other countries. How can we cut more services to the poor when our jobs have been sent overseas by the "job creators."

July 27, 2011 at 6:46 am |
  10. Brad

If I could tell my Representatives anything, I would just tell them to compromise. I, like them, have ideals that I'd love to stick to. There comes a point, however, where you simply have to pick and choose your battles. Some may argue that it's far more complex that a simple "give this, take that" scenario, but those are also the ones who would rather see America default to their own political gain than fix the problem on Obama's watch. I may only be 19, but that just goes to show how motivated these politicians are to advance their personal agenda rather than sit down like adults and hash out a solution to a problem the common man cannot do anything about. If politics weren't always so dirty, maybe I'd give my hand at public service as I start my next year in college. Thanks for setting such a great example, Washington.

July 27, 2011 at 6:43 am |
  11. Javier Zuniga

Stop this shameful spectacle. Both sides need to make concessions. To balance our budget we need both, spending cuts including entitlement reform and closing tax loopholes. Give tax icentives only for those who create jobs in America not in China. If both sides are unhappy with the final deal, then we will know it is a good deal.

July 27, 2011 at 6:43 am |
  12. steph

This country is shooting it's self in the foot, because we are preceived as unstable. I would like to start a new party called the TEAM Party. Take away tax write-offs for all business taxes paid to foreign countries because they choose to move jobs out of the US and to that country, Tax credit unions and slightly raise taxes income to the top 10%. Cut government spending but be extremely careful if you cut money to groups that over see business like: banking, food, pollution, etc. Cut out subsidies to oil companies, sugar companies and the like. Fix drug costs, stop advertising of drugs, and allow competition in the US to lower medical costs. Any surplus in the debt should go to reducing the debt. Allow people to freely give to a fund to reduce the debt if they choose.

July 27, 2011 at 6:42 am |
  13. Patrick Rhodus

How much of the budget is military or military related? I heard it is 59%. Why is no one talking about reductions to the 59% portion of the budget instead all we hear is how human service costs are breaking the budget or how we need to reform entitlements. Come on we need to get out of 3 wars and bring home our troops from around the world, stop payments to Afghanastan. We are a new country in the history of the world. Let them deal with their own problems. What did the world do without us 300 years ago. It is not the healtcare that is busting the budget it is the belief that USA needs to nosey into all these world issues and pay their bills.

July 27, 2011 at 6:42 am |
  14. Dianne

In my life time American has gone down and down. I am 62, unemployed and scared to death. With the top 1% of America prospering and the rest of barely surviving, why can't the rich pay to get us out of this debacle we are in. President Obama has done his best to deal with all that has been thrown at him. Our President today has been the first in a long time that hasn't sold us down the river for the rich and successful.

Republicans should be ashamed of their behavior. I can't believe there are people in America that agree with anything they say.

I am afraid of what is ahead for the rest of my life.

July 27, 2011 at 6:41 am |
  15. Brandon

Most of what I want to say can't be aired on television. But I would tell him that its time for you to grow up and stop playing these partisan political games at the expense of the american people your supposed to represent. Or you might just find yourself out of a job.

July 27, 2011 at 6:41 am |
  16. Joe of Iowa

Hiring is still going up. House prices just turned the corner. Government revenue is up. Stock Market is up for the year. Let's see- maybe patching the debt ceiling ON TIME is more important than not. Politicians created all of our economic woes, maybe they should get busy and agree on something, SOON. Timing is everything, and they have probably messed it up already.

July 27, 2011 at 6:41 am |
  17. Civia Katz

I trust that if we default Congress and their entire staff will forgo their salaries and benefits and make sure that our grandparents and veterans and poor receive their checks.

July 27, 2011 at 6:40 am |
  18. Martin Rebec

All parties should lead by example. Cut their own salaries and health benefits first to show their true passion and belief in the spending cut position.

July 27, 2011 at 6:39 am |
  19. John Soukas

I believe that the republican party is out of line and reality in this debt crisis. I urged the republican leaders to work with the president and accept tax increase to the Americans and corporations that can afford it better than our grandmothers and grandfathers. Next election I will remember the republican's party positions in this crisis and I will certainly not vote for the republican candidates.

July 27, 2011 at 6:39 am |
  20. Judith Sedgeman

To ALL of Congress: Start packing now. You won't be in Washington much longer because you have absolutely no interest whatsoever in governing this nation or representing people.

July 27, 2011 at 6:37 am |
  21. Ben

What would i like to tell my member of congress?,…. Your are fired!

July 27, 2011 at 6:37 am |
  22. Brian Miller

The polarity of the two parties just gets worse. Congress needs to be held accountable for what they were put there for, which it to run the government, not run it into the ground.

July 27, 2011 at 6:36 am |
  23. Anthony M. (Dallas)

I have called and emailed them and said; "This is NOT about US giving our president more money to spend, THIS is about big corporations paying their fair share in taxes (like they did before Bush's cuts for the wealthiest) in order to put our country back to the way it was when William Clinton was our president and we had a surplus."

Bottom line, the Republicans (like the ones that "represent" me) are stalling our president, from doing ACTUAL GOOD, in order to save their rich friends from paying more taxes than they deserve to. I'm mad. This is childish. These people in congress aren't representing us. I will continue to call and write until something is done, this is scary.

July 27, 2011 at 6:35 am |
    • Anthony M. (Dallas)

We have to raise the debt ceiling, not for future spending, but for past spending, i.e. the war in iraq, etc. Sometimes I'm not sure our Republican Congressmen understand this...

July 27, 2011 at 6:42 am |
  24. Teresa B.

Our elected representatives need to become Statesmen and not politicians. Statesmen represent the country as a whole, politicians only want to get reelected. I really wonder how the Republicans can continue to say that any kind of increase in revenues will stop companies from creating jobs. Companies have continued to receive tax break after tax break after tax break and have not increased jobs in 10 years. One thing I would like for the Republicans to explain is how they can continue to say they represent Americans. They have just recently refused to fund the FAA and hundreds upon hundreds of people have lost their jobs. The United States is now having to pay penalty money every day instead of paying wages every day to workers. Because of the act of the Republicans people have lost jobs instead of jobs being created. What a wast of money, paying penalties instead of wages. I wish the media would cover this some more and explain how this is good for the country.

July 27, 2011 at 6:28 am |
  25. Diane B

I would love to tell my elected officials to get real. I am so tired of all the slamming of the party's. I feel like I'm watching a bunch of puberty ridden kids who don't want to share destroy our country. We have become the laughing talk of the world. I do not consider myself to be either Democratic or Republican but today I am ashamed of my government. They have completely forgotten who they serve and are serving only themselves for the money the special interests groups are giving them. I can't find a full time job, I'm 51 and considered to old to be hired for meaningful employment any more. Now one group wants to tax me more, the other wants to tax the upper 2% who aren't taxed much. This is a no brainier, if I'm taxed any further I'll be living on the streets...Literally The rich get richer and the poor get poorer...Make a deal already.

July 27, 2011 at 6:23 am |
  26. Erica in Chattanooga

Just because I didn't vote for you doesn't mean I should be invisible. This thing is bigger than a party; for once, can't Washington put aside pandering and politics and do what's right for all of us?

July 27, 2011 at 6:20 am |
  27. Sharon Marlow

You were elected by the people to represent their views in Washington, not just your own or those of a few colleagues. We, the people, want to see shared sacrifice and that means the mega-rich must share. I can't buy the exact same things today for the same dollars I spent just last year and neither can America. You must raise some revenue and support the Constitutional directive of providing for the common good. Let those tax cuts expire! Thank you.

July 27, 2011 at 6:19 am |
  28. Johnny

What would I tell my representataive? I'd tell them "we're sorry but you're services are no longer required. Your pension is hereby revoked, your expense account eliminated, your office will be cleared out in 24 hours and your utilities will be cut off in 24 hours. Thank you for your service but.....buhbye!".....C'mon! Where the heck is Donald Trump when you need him? YOU"RE FIRED!

July 27, 2011 at 6:19 am |
  29. Barb Fogle

The first cut to make is their health care and then cut their retirement! Think of the money we would save. Then get rid of all of them and start over.

July 27, 2011 at 6:17 am |
  30. Art

I already told my elected representatives to stop bickering and get the job done. Most Americans are tired of hard-line politics and just want the Congress to grow up and do what needs to be done. That means compromising with others to reach something that everyone dislikes but that most will sign.

July 27, 2011 at 6:17 am |
  31. Si Daugherty

I know what to tell all of them. You are out! Can we have an election tomorrow?

July 27, 2011 at 6:15 am |
  32. Mark

For failing to follow the instructions of your employer (the American public) ... You're Fired!

July 27, 2011 at 6:12 am |
  33. Brett

Save the negotiations, brinkmanship and bickering for a straight up debate on cuts versus revenues. These issues should not be chained to the REQUIRED debt limit upgrade. Get it done.

July 27, 2011 at 5:48 am |