American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
August 23rd, 2011
09:04 AM ET

Groundbreaking new study finds a cause for Lou Gehrig's disease

Researchers at Northwestern University say that they've found a cause for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) – a deadly neurodegenerative disorder that paralyzes patients.

Until this point, doctors did not know what caused almost 90% of ALS cases (the other 10% are familial). Although the research is preliminary, it gives scientists a fantastic blueprint to work with when working towards finding a cure for the disease, which has a near 100% mortality rate.

Today on American Morning, Dr. Sanjay Gupta talks about this groundbreaking study and discusses how soon we could see the research translate into new drugs and therapies.


Filed under: Health
soundoff (One Response)
  1. Lisa Tomey

    There is hope for ALS patients! Supporting this same theory it was found in research for Alzheimer's disease that the treatment for reversal of most AD effects may also work for ALS patients. The Dynamite Story of Alzheimer's Recoveries lays out the program. I highly recommend this book!

    August 24, 2011 at 10:57 am |