American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
August 24th, 2011

Talk Back: Where were you when the earthquake struck?

A strong earthquake in Virginia yesterday sent out seismic waves felt by millions from Georgia to northern New England. With so many on the East Coast unaccustomed to earthquakes, many people were left wondering whether all that rumbling could have been caused by a truck, helicopter, an explosion or some other force.

Three aftershocks were reported by Tuesday evening. No major injuries or extensive damage were reported after the 5.8-magnitude earthquake, which struck about 40 miles northwest of Richmond. The quake prompted evacuations of office buildings and the precautionary closing of monuments in the nation's capital.

Talk Back: Where were you when the earthquake struck?

Let us know. Your answer may be read on this morning's broadcast.

Filed under: AM Talk Back
  1. mel

i wasnt sure what i was feeling actually. yesterday i was at mohegan sun sitting in front of a machine when i felt a small rumbling under my feet. i asked my niece who was sitting beside me if she felt anything she didint. but minutes later a woman to my right got a call from a family member that there was a small quake in virginia which was felt all the way into ri. must have been what i felt.

August 24, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  2. Mari Eskridge

I was in Texas....
    Why is it we have coverage of earthquake in Washington DC, New York City, etc.............and are seeing nothing about the epicenter damage/people/aftermath??? If you don't live in a highly populated area, you don't count???

August 24, 2011 at 10:16 am |
  3. Albert Jacob s

Here in Silver Spring, Maryland we were watching NPR with a wonderful program
    about the volcanos on Hawaii. The scene was huge plumes of lava spewing into the sea with huge explosions. When the earthquake hit we thought that the shake came from the TV. We thought they invented shakeavision.

August 24, 2011 at 9:04 am |
  4. Ray

I was eating chicken wings with my granddaughter in Central Pa and never felt a thing. The wings were excellent!

August 24, 2011 at 8:43 am |
  5. Jay

I was on a ladder finishing a wall inside our home and felt motion sickness, but only blamed my old age (51) for what I thought was a sign of me becoming a wimp. Found out the truth after turning to CNN PM news, thanks for that EQ for re-establishing my self-esteem.

August 24, 2011 at 8:42 am |
  6. PattiH

felt it strong in CT. was laying back on the couch with my macbook on my lap when all of a sudden it started rocking backing and forth, i thought it must be my imagination then it started to get more intense and then the walls above me were cracking and i felt the house rocking....freaked me the hell out! so i scooped up my dog and my macbook and ran outside and noticed the pool had waves in it and that's when i realized omg we just had an earthquake!

August 24, 2011 at 8:35 am |