American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 2nd, 2011

Talk Back: Is the criticism against Chaz Bono and ABC fair?

From CNN's Carol Costello:

Even if you're not a fan of ABC's "Dancing With the Stars," you've likely heard of the controversy that erupted on Monday night after it was revealed that transgendered activist Chaz Bono was invited to appear on the show.

Hundreds of viewers are not happy about the invite, with some fans saying they are going to boycott the show and its sponsors, and others claiming that ABC is "pushing the homosexual agenda."

In response, "Dancing With the Stars" executive producer Conrad Green told the Hollywood Reporter, "We don't have an agenda of any sorts. I think of the 120 celebrities we've put on the show, we've had, I think now, three transgender or gay contestants. If that's a homosexual agenda, we're not doing very well at it."

Talk Back: Is the criticism against Chaz Bono and ABC fair?

Let us know what you think. Your response may be read on this morning's broadcast.

Filed under: AM Talk Back
  1. A. Provost III San Diego, CA

Why all the hub bub about homosexuality? You don't see anyone in the gay community targeting, gagging, shooting, and then lighting on fire people who flaunt their extremist heterosexism or idiology of what IS or IS NOT proper. Heterosexuals are known to do that. Do these extremists even know what heterosexism is? Don't they know that an extremist is an extremist whether you are talking about religion OR sexuality.

September 2, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  2. Capitan Howdy

A. Provost San Diego, CA

September 2, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  3. tom

Every time I hear the term "gay agenda", I play a game where I substitute another word for gay, like black, or Jewish, or Christian, or tall-people. Try it. Its fun. And it makes it easy to see how ignorant statements are that use the term "gay agenda". Also, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Chaz actual trans-gender. I thought that was different than gay. Again, using the phrase "gay agenda" is the mark of ignorance. No wonder they misuse it.

September 2, 2011 at 8:00 am |
  4. Jose

The hateful minority of Christian extremists should practice what they preach. Jesus gave his life for our sins. He loves us all. He sees no color, sex, race, or sexual orientation. We are a better people than the bigots that spread their hate. Teach tolerance not hate. That will make us a stronger and better country. The world will start to respect us more. And we will prosper from it.

September 2, 2011 at 7:33 am |
  5. Ryan C

Are you kidding me? They already had Bristol Palin on the show, and if ANY group out there is guilty of pushing an agenda, it's the Palin family. In other words, the critics just need to suck it up and drop it. I'm so tired of the bigots out there pushing THEIR hate-filled agenda on the rest of the country by complaining about everything someone of an alternate lifestyle is involved in.

September 2, 2011 at 7:31 am |
  6. Barbara Fowler

Whether ABC has "an agenda" or not, I personally believe the gay life style is pushed in our faces daily. Everyone seems to want to be portrayed as "open minded", but when I ask my friends what they really think about the gay life style, they say they don't want it to be someone in their family. Chaz might be a nice person, but he shouldn't be on DWTS.

September 2, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  7. Jennifer

I think it is disgusting. There is nothing right about it. I will not be watching DWTS. Read the Bible. God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. ABC is pushing it in our faces wanting us to accept it. Well, it is not acceptable and it's time people stand up for what is right. And by the way, how do they decide who she dances with........girl or boy? Who knows?

September 2, 2011 at 7:24 am |
    • Mark

I'm with you Jennifer. I am a mainstream Christian. I think that as I Christian I have to take a stand on things of this nature... even though I will be labeled as intolerant and "homophobic". And as far as I am concerned, "Chaz" Bono will always be a biological woman, regardless of her surgeries and ongoing hormone therapy. To be plain; I would never mistreat someone for choosing to walk a path like hers that is not in line with scripture but I do not have to agree that their behavior is perfectly normal and acceptable to God. In fact, it is my duty to love her and pray for her. My opinion is based on faith in the infallible Word of God and is just as valid as the opinions of those who disagree with me. Thanks for standing up for what you believe in, Jennifer. I applaud you.

September 4, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
  8. Richard

This is still America, people have the freedom to live any personal lifestyle they choose just as you have the freedom to change the TV channel. When did America become so intolerant of others personal choices?

September 2, 2011 at 7:21 am |
  9. Mary

My husband and I enjoy watching DWTS and admire the talent of the professional dancers, musicians and vocalists, as well as the commitment of the contestants – though we have at times questioned their status as "stars". The transformation of some of the contestants has been amazing and we look forward to Chas's development as a student of dance. The show is all about the dancing, artistry, camaraderie of the cast and very public personal journey of the "stars". If I could get over the "tea party" voting the hard-working and very talented Brandy off the show in favor of Bristol, the current comments of the nay-sers will soon fade into nothingness.

September 2, 2011 at 7:20 am |
  10. Brian Galloway

Honeslty, when did this become "News"? It's labeled as Entertainment. There was a time when the news would broadcast local, state, national and international, and then your entertainment news came on in the form of "Entertainment Tonight". Who cares if a transgender is being denied the opportunity to dance on television, or if the daughter of a hotel billionaire parties all night, or Abercrombie & Finch doesn't want some skeevy beach bum wearing their clothing.... this isn't keeping Americans informed, it's dumbing us all down.

September 2, 2011 at 7:01 am |
  11. Cody T

Oh no! The great master plan for us gays to take over the world has been foiled! First, we'll sneak Chaz Bono into the DWTS cast. Then, we'll hit up the rebels in Libya...C'mon people, its a TV show. If there's an agenda there, then who is to say there's agenda in almost everything we watch on TV. If you don't like it, don't watch TV. Maybe the correct agenda to push is C. Bono's struggle to become who he is today, which to those educated about transsexuality is a miracle. Get educated before you decide to attack a person or show about things in which you don't understand...it may be your intelligence that's in question after all.

September 2, 2011 at 6:49 am |
  12. Linda Hileman

How may LGBT people does God have to make before people figure out that He likes them? In all of nature, not one organism is the same as any other. God obviously loves DIVERSITY. How is it an "agenda" to invite a person such as Chaz Bono to dance? No other contestant has been vetted for their character or questioned about their sexual orientation. I have not been a viewer of Dancing With the Stars, but IF they do not back down on this, and Chaz appears, I will start watching.

September 2, 2011 at 6:44 am |
  13. Aly

I have never met a perfect person, but there sure are a sufficient number of Holyer Than Thou people in America. Who cares what life style a person chooses for their happiness as long as it is not a threat to society? We all have shocking things we do, that if spotlighted by ABC would create controversy. Look in the mirror, and if you can't label yourself perfect, then shut the hell up!

September 2, 2011 at 6:34 am |
  14. Pat Lytle of San Diego

Excuse my mushy note but When Chaz was Chastity as a little munchkin, she was America's littlest sweetheart! Now that he's "Chaz" a lot of us love him and will 'always' love him!! His eyes and his soul 'never' changed!

September 2, 2011 at 6:32 am |
  15. Joseph

What happened to tolerance, compassion, acceptance. I understand people who have deep feelings on how things should be but shoving their beliefs down peoples throat is not very christian. So does that mean that anyone that does not believe in your way of life should be cast away? The whole concept of America is diversity, these ultra conservatives should get a life and put on their big boy pants and learn to behave and stop being prejudice. I would say to boycott them for being bigots.

September 2, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  16. Suzanne

Its awesome that we live in a time where people can be who they are.
    However its sad that we still cannot live without ridicule or judgement of one another.
    Honestly, I've never watched the dance show, but I say, let the man dance.
    What is the big deal, really?
    Suzanne (Nebraska house wife)

September 2, 2011 at 6:30 am |
  17. Thomas

ALL of the main stream media has an agenda of some sort or other. The homosexual agenda is but one of them. Backed by gay groups, they shove this garbage down our throats with the expectation that one day it will be fully accepted as normal. It isn't and never will be...no matter how much you progressive talking heads keep repeating it.

Thomas

September 2, 2011 at 6:28 am |
  18. Norman Donchin

Every time a homosexual or homosexual asks that they simply be treated with the same level of human dignity as others, there are always narrow-minded bigots who will say that they are trying to shove their "agenda" down everybody's throats. I see nothing of the kind in Bono's statement.

September 2, 2011 at 6:27 am |
  19. Tamara, Nova Scotia

You have got to be kidding! There's just no way around it – some people are simply filled with hate and since the political right co-opted Christianity as 'theirs' it has either attracted – or created and emboldened – the mean-spirited in America. It's attitudes like this that have turned so many away from Christianity itself. It drives away those who believe in compassion and embracing the other 'souls' we share the planet with – leaving the hateful to disproportionately populate the 'Christian' community. Sad really. ... Oh, and GO CHAZ GO! Dance like only loving souls are watching.

September 2, 2011 at 6:19 am |
  20. Rene

Those who are in an uproar, are upset for what reason – that people will see others who are "different" and come to the realization that they aren't that different? Are they worried that those who they have denounced as evil and sinful will be discovered to be sweet and polite and kind and funny?

The bigots want those they attack to stay in the shadows because if they come out into the light, the public will come to realize that they have been labelled and denounced unfairly. If you come to know someone personally, it's harder to react to them with hatred.

And once people realize that they have been lied to by the bigots, the bigots will lose all their power.

September 2, 2011 at 5:41 am |