American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 9th, 2011

Talk Back: How has 9/11 changed you?

From CNN's Carol Costello:

Even now, a decade later, it's hard to put into words exactly what September 11th means to us. That day, both the pain and the glory of humanity were on display, unfiltered, and in real time.

Talk Back: How has 9/11 changed you?

Let us know. Your response may be read on this morning's broadcast.

Filed under: AM Talk Back
  1. Malini

Since 9/11, I realized that things like this could happen in the US. Just because we live here doesn't mean we are protected from everything. But because of this sad event, I did also learn of patriotism and how a country can stand together.

September 9, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  2. Richie Pecorella

I lost the love of my life that day and I will always keep her memory alive stand up for our freedoms . We live in a world that has changed from praying and having families . To greed and hate this I believe is happening in this country becasue of the fear that was placed on us from 911 . Since when cant you have God and country go together . This country was great until we stopped trusting In God . Never Forget what they did to us and Never forgive them.

September 9, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  3. Brian Galloway

I am retired military, and was stationed overseas when the attack happened. When I returned to the US, it was unreal to see strangers approach not only me, but other military, police, firefighters, medical... all the groups of people that came to the aid of others, to give their thanks and appreciation for what we do. As servicemen and women, we are a servant to the citizens of the United States. To see others take on this role and witness the rise in patriotism reminded me how great of a country we can truly be.

September 9, 2011 at 8:29 am |
  4. Matt MN

9/11 has changed me, it has also changed airports, commuter trains, internet, police, military, etc. But, If I let this event run my life, then whoever is in charge of this horrible mess wins. I learned as a kid, if you let a bully set you off, or get upset, then they've won. I guess we have to learn to fight "the fear of fear" and not let these clowns get us down.
    Thanks CNN.
    Good Morning.

September 9, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  5. Kenny Caudill

Before 9/11, I believed we were the good guys. We had built the greatest country with the greatest protections for our citizens and the citizens of the world. I grew up so proud of my country and how we stood up for everyone's rights. How quickly that belief evaporated. Now we have the Department of Homeland Security where Habeas Corpus no longer exists and torture is accepted and practiced. Just the name "Homeland" sounds too much like "Fatherland" for my liking. We surrendered our rights and reputation so easily to try to gain a little more security.

September 9, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  6. Judy

I was working downtown NYC when the first Tower was bulit. We were so excited to have stores and restaurants. To see that airplane go into that Tower shall haunt me forever. I knew people that worked there so the devastation was horrible.

September 9, 2011 at 8:13 am |
  7. Gesenia Walker

911 has made me see the world in a diffrent view. 911 has brought a world of hate, war, greed, anger and no solution. I think 911 is a wake up call for all to unite as one to not live in fear and to work together to rebuild a beautiful not fearful America that we could be. I am a young adult and feel it is time for a change and the time is now.

September 9, 2011 at 8:02 am |
  8. shamikka

September 9, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  9. Ann Badding

From 9-11-2001 forward, I feel a sense of vulnerability that I simply had never thought of, much less experienced, before that date. It had NEVER crossed my mind that America's mainland could ever be attacked. AS long as I was on American soil, I was safe.

I was traveling that morning. from San Diego to Newark. We never took off. The airport was a confusing mess. There was a sense of disbelief and fear. I eventually travelled home by train, all the way across the country.

It has changed my life in many small ways. The overriding change, however, has been that I understand that we are vulnerable. Its sad that my children, who were adolescents on that day, will never experience the America that I grew up in. I am also much more willing to trade some personal freedom for more security. Airport security just doesn't bother me; the presence of law enforcement at public places and entertainment venues doesn't bother me. I have tried not to forget just how tragic that day was and how many lives were lost. SO, a little extra time in line somewhere just isn't a problem. I often wonder if much of America has forgotten just how horrific that day was.

September 9, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  10. shamikka

I could remember it like it was yesterday, I was sitting on the couch as it was announced and watching it in genuine fright just knowing that I just had a child six months before it. Looking at him and asking myself why did I bring a child into this crazy world where I just didn't feel safe alone!!It changed the way I looked at motherhood and felt sad for all of those who lost loved ones that they wanted to feel safe and protected from harm but coudn't!!

September 9, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  11. Kara Hahn

9/11 changed everyone. There is absolutely an increased respect for the everyday heros – firefighters, police officers, EMS providers who everyday are willing to risk their lives to save ours. From small town volunteers to the finest and bravest in NYC – in memory of those who were lost, they all deserve our thanks !

September 9, 2011 at 7:15 am |
  12. Alanood

9/11 changed my life because it installed fear in me not just by the terrorist who i always have to look behind my shoulders to see if theirs any abandoned bags but by radical americans and governmental services who are prosecuting muslims and arabs like me for my color and belief.

I can't go in to a new class, a new place anywhere without thinking will they hate me for what i'm wearing could they actually kill me for it?

Or am I going to be killed by terrorists extremist like the 32 muslim of 9/11 or the many other muslims who have died because al Queda kills every one whos not radical even fellow muslims.

what can i say 9/11 has been a double edged/sided sward. I was really young when it happened and for most of my life i lived after the 9/11 bombing so most of my life i was discriminated by people of my own faith and people who i support.

September 9, 2011 at 6:56 am |
  13. Jay Ram

While my initial reaction as an naturalized citizen was one of pride and love for America united, to this soon was added dismay. Since, 9/11 our country has paid more heed to intolerant views and polarized our country.

September 9, 2011 at 6:45 am |
  14. Mack in FL

Let me preface this by saying we feel for victims' families...but for lots of people, 9/11 was not the life-changing event that it was for NYers. If you didn't live there or know anyone effected, it didn't change your life other than making air travel much more inconvenient & time-consuming.
    New York likes to think of itself as this "symbol of America" (and I'm all for state pride) but for many of us, it's just not. So I guess what I'm saying is while I respect the victims' families feelings, a lot of other people who were not impacted by it are getting tired of hearing about it. Just once, can't we celebrate and memorialize something joyful? All America ever remembers year in and year out from one generation to the next are tragedies! For my generation, it was Vietnam and the Kennedy assassinations. We had to listen to endless takes on those for 30yrs. I guess now it will be 9/11 & the wars in the Middle East for the next 30 yrs.

September 9, 2011 at 6:32 am |
  15. ToddB

I'm a retired military member and was proud to see all the flags flying on cars, posted on buildings, and songs written in support of all the people who died or responded. But it didn't take long for those flags to become tattered and eventually disposed of. I don't understand why our patriotism is so short lived and only seems to exist during emergencies.

September 9, 2011 at 6:32 am |
  16. Iliana Quintanilla

I woke up in one world, and went to sleep in a different one. I was 11 years old, preparing for the world. And this world just became scarier, fearsome and chaotic. I am a part of an entire generation of children and young adults directly affected by the attacks. In no way ready for a state of war that would follow us for a decade. My life is different because I learned the value of strength and the true face of evil.

September 9, 2011 at 6:28 am |
    • Iliana Quintanilla

I was assimilating to American culture, and as a latchey kid, I had never felt so alone. But I grew to respect and love the country that took me in with the hope of a better future. I lived history, American history, and I am proud that even though its been a difficult road, I will always remember that day sirens were sounding all over and my classmates cried, because some of them had lost parents.

September 9, 2011 at 6:33 am |
  17. sarah

I will not let 9/11 change me. Then they win.

September 9, 2011 at 6:26 am |
    • ffranny

Sarah, I'm with you.

September 9, 2011 at 8:38 am |
  18. Roger

9/11 change me the way to treat people and smile everyday see the best of people and I always end the words I see you soon that will bring hope in my life and someone else life that what change but what hasn't is the love of my self and people around me and keeping people that I care about close to me

September 9, 2011 at 6:24 am |