American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 19th, 2009

We Listen!

Here’s your daily recap of the best feedback we got from YOU on the blog, Facebook, Twitter, Email and our viewer hotline 1-877-MY-AM-FIX. Continue the conversation below. And remember, keep it brief, and keep it clean. Thanks!

American Morning viewers flooded the emails with financial comments and questions regarding mortgages, unemployment, and student loans. Viewers praised CNN for helping to “educate consumers on credit related issues.” Others vented their anger at politicians for what they termed “unbelievably poor jobs they have been doing for the last few years.”

Voicemail

Emails

• Jason Dean / Elk Grove, CA: Will someone please tell the politicians that it's time they took a pay cut for the unbelievably poor jobs they have been doing for the last few years. It's time they lead by example, oh yeah and give up all there campaign contributions. Thank you.
  • Catherine Woodall / NH: I am so tried of hearing about the outrage from congress concerning the stimulus bill. It is the responsibility of the congress to know what is in the bill before voting on it. There is no excuse for not READING the final draft before voting. If the bill is too large (multiple pages) then the process should be slowed down so the legislatures would have the time to read the final copy.

What are your thoughts on our viewers’ comments? Should politicians take a pay cut for poor performance or for “not reading the final draft [of a bill] before voting?”

Blog Comments

• Todd Henderson / Savannah, GA: As an overly Taxed citizen I am tired of the fake outrage of these politicians. I think tax payers should rise up and demand all politicians have a 25% pay cut, be forced to pay into social security and be limited to two terms. Plus another big demand is that all companies receiving our tax dollars as bailout money be FORBIDDEN TO DONATE TO ANY POLITICAL ORGANIZATION, PERSON OR CAMPAIGN!
  • Marcus Cyganiak /no state: My only concern with President Obama appearing on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” is that the tone on that show compared his tone at the town-hall meeting in Los Angeles could be greatly differentiated. Leno may try to crack a joke or few which is always entertaining, but will this really be the right time for that? I guess the only comfort I can reserve myself to is the fact that Obama can “chew gum and walk at the same time.”
  • John / no state: We Americans I think are tired of someone in this government saying “they are responsible”, when there are no consequences for accepting said responsibility. If Obama now says he is responsible for the fiasco involving the AIG bonus payouts, then he should resign. If he’s not responsible, then someone needs to be fired. Either way, I want my money back. We Americans I think are tired of someone in this government saying "they are responsible", when there are no consequences for accepting said responsibility. If Obama now says he is responsible for the fiasco involving the AIG bonus payouts, then he should resign. If he's not responsible, then someone needs to be fired. Either way, I want my money back.

Facebook

• Linda Bullis – Why do we keep giving good money to bad people. Why don't the government re pay the money back to the good people starting with the lowest income till they get us the american people paid back. It might be cheeper to give the american peope back the money they have lost with these invester's. Is all we keep hearing is to give money back into the econmony and trust the government. How about trust the people and throw the money back are way, instead of all the wall street exc. stealing the money. Pay us back...and maybe the econmony will get better. I can't believe they have the nerve to take those bonuses.
  • Pat Prescott – Thought you'd like some good news... Folks who did not get the whole stimulus "rebate" last year ($600) may get it in their 2008 refund as a "recovery rebate credit." What a great surprise!
  • Glenn Kujansuu – Am I missing something, but where is the discussion about the falling retirement account of seniors. This is a problem that will be around for years to come. Not many seniors will ever be able to make up the losses in their life time. Or should all seniors enter the job market making it harder for young works.
  • Tricia Danks Charlikowsky – The sad part about AIG and the government bailout is that we are now seeing OPENLY how corporations and governments are tied together – and how they have secret meetings...etc. What upsets me is watching all the grandstanding yesterday if they KNEW!
  • Robin Terrell Blocher – WHAT ARE YOU DOING recommending 529 plans for college – WE did that and we had $25,000 a year ago; it is now at $11,000 – NOT at all a very good idea

Twitter

• MensaPeg@amFIX I haven't heard of what the details of the "contractual obligations" that AIG is hiding behind. It is an international law issue?
  • thomasjfox@amFIX kind of surprised you recommended someone stop paying their mortgage to qualify for the housing plan.
  • pukka65@amFIX I called my lender and they said that i needed to behind on my payments..said the process would take up to 180 days
  • buckradio@amFIX I'm sure the housing plan will sound great just like the rest of the jabber! Seeing is believing!

Filed under: We Listen
  1. bs

It is almost impossible and waste of time to monitor the activities of corporate world. It primarily defeats the purpose of the federal government. The tax money given to corporate world should be treated as loan to corporate world and treat it as investment. It is upto them to make use of it and turn the situation around. If they can't you are trying to pump life in to a dead corpse.

March 22, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  2. Tihenri

The best RETENTION BONUS woul be the STOCK BONUS, not the cash bonus. The executives must invest their bonus in the company they are managing. This stock bonus can be sold only after 10 years they left office.

One more question, WHERE ARE THE SHAREHOLDERS????? Why are they so relaxed with their money. They are not aware that they are being ripped off by those executives.

March 20, 2009 at 11:16 am |
  3. Sheila

just want to correct my prior spelling *reasonable* it should be responsible ..... sorry

March 20, 2009 at 10:29 am |
  4. Sheila Do Couto

I feel that any company that takes the bailouts should have restrictions on how the money is to be use... not to go into anyone's pocket, from what I understand it is intended to help the company keep running so that all their employers are still working and any smaller companies who get jobs from the larger companies....which then it is suppose to help our economy . I find myself thinking and saying that it is the politicians that needs to be watched and graded on how they are doing their job that we the people hire them to do!!!! If they are not doing what we the people want then we should be able to have a vote to remove them from their post in the houses ,make them accountable for their actions and votes. And I feel we should be the ones who decide to either give them a raise or not. In other words the taxpayers need to have more control over the government to make sure they do the job that is for the people and not the few.
    Now on the AIG , shame on all that are involved in that, none on them deserved to receive any bonus money or any other fringe benefits because they did not do their jobs otherwise the company would not be where it is , they are as reasonable as the board members ,CEOs and upper management . The blue collar workers and others don't receive bonuses for a poor performance in their jobs (and most don't even get a cost of living wage increase) so why should they?
    The bailout money isn't for personnel gains (bonuses) so those who took the money should return all of back and learn to be less greedy and more humble in what is going on with our economy . It is time for all to come together and pull the USA back up to where we all can be proud to be an AMERICAN.

March 20, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  5. Christa Middler

I'm beginning not to want to watch cnn... any longer... or any of the news stations to that matter... what happened to just reporting the news, without the reporters or cnn judgement... poeple who watched the Jay Leno show knew that the President had no intentions of insulting or demeaning the Special Olympics. The Special Olympics know that...a statement was yesterday evening already put out by the White House. Cnn hasn't even shown that. The Congress members speaches yesterday made me sick... they know they are in front of the press and grandstanding... Can anything be handled without that...just gather all the facts first and make decision what is best for the country..without all this garbage... I like Ali Velshi the Best !!
    He reports the facts and does his interview without all the nonsense, that some of the reporters are doing and not all the drama that is
    going on on every issue. Perhaps Cnn could focus on some positive issues, that are on the whitehouse website these days? The items which have been accomplished... just read all the briefings if you need to fill your time. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

March 20, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  6. Teri Moore

Spell congress: CON GREASE

March 20, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  7. MJDZ

I found it odd for your guest this morning to be emphasizing a focus on promoting women during our current economic crisis. At best her pitch was lacking in why exactly this would be more beneficial for the country's economic recovery. At worst it sounded like plain old opportunism and self-interest. The last thing we need is a gender employment war.

March 20, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  8. Ramon

Why do Private Bankers (the federal reserve) control our money? Why are the banks which are controlled by the Fed Reserve sending out money to bail out foreign banks? Why are billions > trillions being sent out of our country? Why does the American tax payer always lose? Why aren't so many companies and elected officials NOT paying taxes?

March 20, 2009 at 7:50 am |
  9. Ramon

Why does the Federal Reserve sit in on all AIG meetings.. This is a private bank – with private bankers for that matter why are we the USA asking them for money? What gives them the right to be called 'Federal' which makes them look as though they are part of the Govt. when they aren't!!
    The fact that they sit in on meeting for an institution that secures Wall Street and Banks tell me that they are in CONTROL of everything that goes on our and the worlds economic well being!! What is that all about?? So this is all a shame you have elected officials and companies NOT paying taxes and you have a money system controlled by PRIVATE BANKERS.. So one once told me that all wars are about MONEY and it can see now that this is true because there is always profit from wars - the American people and the world should be furious about this!!

March 20, 2009 at 7:45 am |
  10. Deborah

Good job, President Obama on Jay Leno.

Forced myself to stay up and see it. News media need to let go of the special olympic joke..Its A JOKE about his bowling. GET A LIFE!! REMEMBER LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL AND HEALING.

March 20, 2009 at 7:42 am |
  11. yeagerhood

Maybe we should just get rid of money altogether. With no cash. then the AIG's and Madoffs of the world won't be able to steal it from us.
    With that said, I have a Jethro Tull album I would like to trade for 22 galons of gasoline.

Kris Yeager
    Indianapolis Indiana

March 20, 2009 at 7:22 am |
  12. Paul

AIG Bonuses: The bonus money is a deal between the company and their employees. We may not like it and this kind of practice might be why the company is in trouble, BUT Government has too long of an arm if they can just tax the bonuses to cover up the fact that the Government didn't pro-actively prevent the bonuses to begin with. The tax may be pointed at us someday!

March 20, 2009 at 6:44 am |
  13. Mike

This is the government that you guys talking about. A well developed mob group. I don't think that the government should involve whether employees are getting bonuses or not. If they deserve it and work for it they should get their bonus. If anything they should decline it if they want to but it should be mandatory for them to return their money. We could sit here think of all the million ways to spend the money it won't take us anywhere. THIS IS POLITICS. Its a game that if your not a part of them you won't win. They'll give one and take three, they'll give you three and take seven. They system is set up around them for them to come on top no matter what. If you watch soccer, European soccer you'll see AIG sponsors quite a few of them. Nonetheless, they are the big "B" they get what they want because they're so powerful and they know no matter what the government won't let them fall even if they're not telling the whole truth. We can not let them fall. However, my wife dad lost his 401K I would like how that distributed among them. They saddest part is that they told you to save for retirement and then they take it all from you. I always say it if we don't like the French people do thing could be a little better.

March 20, 2009 at 5:30 am |
  14. Linda

Chris Dodd is an AIG flunky but so is Obama! They both equally shared in campaign contributions from AIG during there campaigns. Oh well, NOTHING ever changes no matter who is voted into office.

An YES I think the entire group in Washington should take a pay cut! Even the President! When you see that crowd justifying their own mistakes on this AIG mess, it makes you want to fire every single one of them. The worst part of this is, they act like they just found out!!!!!!!!

March 20, 2009 at 5:19 am |
  15. prosanto, Phoenix

Rich White Males in congress and corporate management hold the micro phone or loud speaker control the message. View the sea change with Obama. He was on the wrong side of the track growing up. I hope he maintains his integrity with intelligent choices.

March 19, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  16. Marie

I am appauled that CNN has not made a HUGE issue over Chris Dodd's behavior in this AIG mess???? Why is that? It is apparent to me that this man was on AIG'S payroll and continues to be on their payroll. The corruption in Washington should be one of Obama's top issues to deal with because until we get a handle of all the lobbying going on in Washington very little will change. Look at all the rules and regulations that were softened for the banking industry and look at where we are. The bottom could fall out; we have lost over 20K in money from our 401K and that is not including some of our other investments; wake up people. Until we clean house we will have the same problems.

Dodd should resign!!!! He is corrupt and sullied if you ask me!

March 19, 2009 at 9:05 pm |