American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 24th, 2009

Foreclosure hits renters

CNN's Deborah Feyerick looks at the effect of foreclosure on renters.
CNN's Deborah Feyerick looks at the effect of foreclosure on renters.

From CNN's Deborah Feyerick

ROOSEVELT, New York (CNN) - When Lisa Brown moved into her rental house on Long Island last summer with her three daughters, she says, it felt like a new beginning.

After living in apartments, the spacious house got her attention immediately. "It was bigger than what I had lived in," she says. Brown was also won over by the neighborhood with its tidy homes and good school district. "I wanted to come here, and I wanted to see my kids graduate from this school district."

But they hardly had a chance. Instead, fighting back tears, she says, "I have to get out."

Watch

Filed under: Economy
  1. Manuel Barragan

Can someone help me- I have been renting a house for the past 8 month. I came home from work and there was a notice to auction the house, I called the landlord to find out what was going on, at first his wife answers and then give the phone to him, he did'nt know what to say, then he says his lawyer is working to modify the loan, come on a lawyer. Not once did he inform me that the house was in foreclosure till the day i got the letter on my door. I really don't know if he rented the house to me before or after it went into forclosure...help.Thanks

latnmex1

October 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm |
  2. nancy

March 24th, 2009 4:47 pm ET

Wow! Lots of venom and hate being raged here against renters! Sounds like Republicans to me!

Nasty ones at that! LOL

March 25, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  3. Ricard R. Aviles

I have read somewhere that if a property owner decides to rent his/her home to a tenant in a all homeowners community, it may incease the property value. On the other hand, Mrs. Lisa Brown may go to housing court within her district and ask the housing court judge for more time until she can find another place to live with her family.

If and when the housing court judge approves her request, Mrs. Brown should find out when did her previous landlord lost this property due to forclosure, then she may sue both parties in small claims court and try to recover most of her losses. "OFF" the record the other indiviual who did not inform her in written as the tenant that the her landlord lost that property due to foreclouse and not at the last minute that that property was sold at an auction. A (30) day eviction notice isn't acceptable. This way she will at least have been informed way in advance to make other arrangements. "GO TO COURT AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!

Good luck

Remington Village Historical District
    Community Activist

March 25, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  4. Tom from Philly

Wow so here is a group of low to moderate income people who DIDNT buy a house 10 or 20 times thier income, pay their rent and lose out, the law needs to be changed that the lease cannot be broken thru the default or transfer of title of the property, I thought there was such protection, it may vary from state to state, but really AIG employess can sue for twice thier bonus if its not paid, then a renter needs to be able to sue for twice his/her rent since the beginning of the lease if the landlord goes into foreclosure.

These properties require lots of money down, these landlords are messing up, its just gross to do that to somebody

March 25, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  5. Mary

Renting is not a permanent situation. I have been a renter and a landlord. Easier to move, than to put up with people suddenly vacating and damaging property.
    If this lady would just look, there are some places like one town near here, that actually sell houses for $1.00. She could take out a small loan to get tthe house up to code and live in it for five years sell it and buy another one, a lot cheaper than paying rent. Way to work yourself up the house chain.
    My cousin and her husband would buy one real cheap house after another. Painting, fixing it up and reselling it, while they lived in each house, her final house was like a mansion.. Go to the listing of tax defaults. I have purchased couple pieces of land property for $150.00 and then, sold them for $1,000 each. I purchased one rental house for $1000.00 and take over payments. Took me six months to paint, fixing floors, and yep 8 months pregnant while working a job even reroofed the house myself. Takes a bit of determination, but, anyone can do it. You have to do a whole lot of footwork.

March 25, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  6. Rhea Crosley

I can not believe the poor, that are being trustworthy and hard working are being trampled under foot by Americans. This makes the word American a dirty word. That we would allow honest hard working poor people to be taken advantage by unscrupulous home owner who collect rent and deposits knowing their tenants will have no where to live. How can we as a society over look such an obvious trashing of justice. This anger and sickens me.

March 24, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  7. Brett

@Jake Delahanty
    It was a forced eviction. Says so right in the middle of the article.

Unlike your experiences in Florida, in New York and New Jersey leases transfer with ownership and are only extinguished by foreclosure.

March 24, 2009 at 9:13 pm |
  8. cindy

she pays $1900 a month for rent? i'll gladly be her landlord. 3br, 2 ba home at the beach. waddayasay? i'll even make sure my mortgage gets paid.

March 24, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  9. Lifelong Renter

Steve:

You're a sexist nincompoop! Don't generalize. Yes, studies do show that kids can suffer from the lack of two parents in the home, but two parents don't necessarily make a good home situation either. I came from a single parent home (my mother) and I turned out just fine. In fact, I'd put money on it that I turned out better than you ... did you come from a two-parent household? I do just fine my friend, without a man anywhere around. I can work, make my own money, dress myself, and even, dare I say, change a light bulb if need be. Oh, and I can use a power drill and hammer too. You jerk!

You don't know this woman's situation, so who are you to comment on her homelife? She obviously does just fine. She had a nice home, found a nice neighborhood in which to raise her children, and did very well by them. Your comments are ridiculous. Who is to say that things would be different just because there was a father in the picture? "A father [the chidren] can count on?" Did you ever hear of the term "dead-beat dad?"

"Many people are sick and tired?" My guess is you're sick and tired because no woman will have you because you're a misogynist idiot.

And by the way, try to stay on point. This story is not about your prejudices. DO YOU GET IT YET?

March 24, 2009 at 8:24 pm |
  10. hystbl

Steve's got a daddy complex.

March 24, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  11. Steve

Yoli, First of all, I care where the father / husband is, as do MANY other Americans. Many people are sick and tired of these women who think thta they can go it alone, only to realize that they do, in fact, need a father around to help their kids grow. Fatherless families never do well.There are hundreds of academic studies to support this fact. Second, this is indeed the point of the article, indirectly. If the children had a father that they could count on, they would not be out on the street in two weeks. do you get it yet?

March 24, 2009 at 7:17 pm |
  12. Yoli

Who cares where the father/husband is. Perhaps he is dead. Perhaps they are divorced. Perhaps he is in a mental institution or disables. Who cares? If it was a man in the picture would you say, where is the wife? That is not the point of the article. If the father or husband was included in the article would that your change your beliefs about renters and owners?

March 24, 2009 at 7:01 pm |
  13. Yoli

"Trust me, she won’t be out anything on this situation other than the deposit and inconvenience."

Don H. The entire article is about her losing her deposit and the inconvenience. So what's your point? No one implied she was buying anything but time. And if you sign a lease, you are in fact buying usage of the house for 352 days, not 30 days excluding a few situations such as family occupation of the house, large renovations, etc. Yes, when the homeowner changes, the lease becomes null and void.

Jake Delahanty, why would you assume she was living beyond her means? Where di you get that from the article? Because she couldn't afford to lose 6,000 dollars? Not sure about you, but most people can't afford to just lose 6,000 dollars, regardless if they live below their means. I live well within my means and could not afford to just come up with 6,000 more dollars to move 6 months later. And i save most of my money.

The article is not about living above your means, nor is it about renters not knowing they rent at will – it is about an owner failing to notify a renter that they are undergoing foreclosure and that the terms of their lease, contract, verbal agreement and security deposit and last months rent will not be honored. It is about fraud and lying by omission.

March 24, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  14. Yoli

I wonder what would happen if this article was about a young married couple who just came back from Iraq or a a white, middle class couple with 2 kids and a dog. Would everybody still have the same reaction??? Half of he comments would be about how not fair it is instead of how the landowner has rights. Comedic.

March 24, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  15. Steve

What I can't help but wonder is "where is the father / husband"????

March 24, 2009 at 6:34 pm |
  16. Denise

Hello Lisa.....I share your pain. I live in Decatur, GA and the same exact thing as happen to me. Just like you I was trying to create a safe enviroment for my 16 year teenage son and my 1 year old granddaughter . You give a deposit, you pay your rent, and then you receive this letter stating that the bank has foreclosed on the house you are renting and you will have to vacant the premises without any knowledge. While you are thinking that your landlord is paying the mortgage with the money you are giving him every month, he is robbing Peter to pay Paul unfortunately the renters are caught in the crossfire. I gave my landlord almost $4600.00 in rent after the bank took over the house because I had no knowledge that the house had been foreclosed. I have my 1 year old granddaughter, my 2 sons and daughter that lives at home with me. Just like you I don't have any money or family that I can move with, it's just me & my kids. The sad thing is there is no criminal activity that has taken place only civil. I think that the laws should be changed so that when landlords take tenant's money and don't pay the mortgages it should result in some form of punishment. I think that the banks should send notices out to both the home that is being foreclosed and the landlord. In my case my letter from the attorney's office was addressed to "Other parties/occupants" and my address. This was the only way I knew the house was foreclosed other than that it would been when the sheriff served me with a warrant. I really hope that President Obama and local goverments make new laws that would require that landlords to inform tenants of possible foreclosure before it gets down to a family being set out on the street because their rent money was not being used to pay the mortgage as agreed in the lease. Unfortunately more and more renters are losing everything due to the landlord short comings. President Obama and local goverments, PLEASE HELP THE RENTERS!!!!!

March 24, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  17. Yoli

These people must be living in Wisconsin because if they lived in any metropolitan city they would know that moving in 30 days is close to impossible. And besides, that is not even the point of this article. Did anyone even read/watch it??? No one is saying that owners do not have rights. The article is about owners fraudulently taking rental payments and security deposits all the while knowing that the property is being foreclosed on. Of course, the new owners should have the rights to do what they like with the house. However, the renter should not be left without their deposit paid in good faith. Ethics do not stop simply because you are a homeowner and to imply otherwise is ridiculous. Some people must save months to get a deposit together. And by the way, most homeowners do not own their homes. The banks own them until you pay off the mortgage. Renters should be notified 90 days in advance and recoup any security costs associated with the move.

March 24, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  18. Feeling It

I am so sick and tired of the insensitive remarks I hear about people who are merely trying to make it in this world and to get a piece of this so called american dream. I hear these insensitive remarks from people who obviously have NEVER had to take what they could get. People seem to want to blame the "little" man for wanting more. The "little" people are blamed for the corruption of this economy, for the horrific housing situation,, etc., just because they wanted to have a part too. The comment "if she wanted a guarantee, she should have bought a house instead of renting one". IS INSANE!! Who are these people? Are they not human? Do they live on another planet? There are so many of us who can't buy a house. Who can only rent and utilize everything we have just to get deposits and down payments together. You ask "Why can't we buy a house"? First of all , we don't have jobs that pay substantial monthly amounts that will allow us to buy a house, drive a nice car, etc. Why? There are many reasons -to name a few – the lack of the kind of education that would afford a good paying job, the lack of the same opportunities, etc. Again, there are many , many reasons for not being able. Certainly not simply that we just didn't try hard enough! Life sometimes draw a card we wish we could put back, but can't. Consequently, some of us live from paycheck to paycheck. Many of us are actually a pay check away from homelessness. If we lose our jobs, we lose our homes, etc. Each month we do a juggling act between paying the gas and electric bill or the water bill. We don't cry on anyone's shoulder, we just do what we can do. So I have compassion for the person who scrimmed and saved for the deposit to rent a nice house in a nice neighborhood only to have to lose it. I feel her burden and her pain. I don't fault the owner, she's obviously in a dilema as well. But I do have compassion on the renter. Someone's comment said to grow up. Your're right, there's a lot of Americans who need to grow up in their hearts and realize that while you're at the top, don't judge and laugh at the one who is on the bottom, because you know what, things have a way of coming right back to you. You'll find yourself in the selfsame situation, and only then will you understand. Believe me...you mock....you will cry. Learn compassion, we're all just humans. There is not a one that is any better than the other, regardless of their standing in this life, their accomplishments, what side of the world they live on, the color of their skin OR their bank account totals. Until we can realize this, until we cease from being so self-serving, until we relinquish this colossal greed that seems to engulf us, the United States and even this world will only crumble.

March 24, 2009 at 6:17 pm |
  19. hystbl

People, do your research and don't just write nonsense and venom. Everyone thinks that if they think it it must be so & if they can write it and see it magically appear on the web it is three times so. If the property changes hands the new owner has NO obligation to maintain the lease between two parties of which the new owner is not one of the signatory's. I wish that the new owner would honor the lease.

I FEEL sympathy for Ms. Brown. And, I'd still like to help her.

I also feel outrage toward those who write mean spirited, venomous, hate filled, nonsense.

March 24, 2009 at 6:07 pm |
  20. Jake Delahanty

@Allen Salowe... the new homeowner is not obligated to honor the lease, nor is the company that has foreclosed on the property – period.

March 24, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  21. Marie

Rental is just that – you don't own the place or have any equity. Find a new place to live – you have not lost anything as you never owned the property. What a publicity ploy!!

March 24, 2009 at 6:01 pm |
  22. Atlas Shrugged

The lender should be forced to atone for its greed by allowing this woman to stay until her children graduate from school. If that forces the lender to stop lending to others or to lay off a few of its employees to pay for this mandate so be it; it is not fair to ask anyone to move once they are settled in.

March 24, 2009 at 6:00 pm |
  23. Sam

What makes this story newsworthy is that it uses this woman's situation as an icon for a trend that is affecting thousands. The massive upheaval of many people being evicted due to their landlords' mortgage issues results in the destruction of communities and those people losing proximity to the few jobs they can hold down.

It is completely bankrupt to tell someone to "deal with it," "grow up" or move somewhere else. If they lose their deposit-especially in New York as "NY is like no other" pointed out-that's less money they can put down in the unlikely event they find another place to rent. And if you're renting, chances are you have no money to buy property in the first place.

Remarks saturated with free-market glibness are particularly galling given that the people who make them would have us base all social interactions on the ebb and flow of the market, only to turn around in situations like these and invoke freedom of choice, without paying heed to the economic constraints that make true choice impossible.

March 24, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  24. Sam

Without question, landlords are the biggest and loudest whiners in America. Everyone is out to trash their precious slum houses. What a crock.

Renters have no recourse during an eviction like this. I do see some confusion in the news. Some say that if the renter has a lease, then they dont have to leave until the lease is up. Other stories have it as they have to leave right away, lease or no lease. And the writer of that lease (the landlor) just breaks the contract.

Where are all the tax breaks for renters who are forced to move for these reasons, when homeowners who cant afford their homes and shouldnt have ever been able to buy them in the first place are getting a ton of tax breaks. Tax breaks renters have to pay for.

March 24, 2009 at 5:52 pm |
  25. Truman

This story is really too much for me to handle. Is this really major headline worthy news? I would expect more from a news agency. Is CNN really a new agency or just another business making a profit?

March 24, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  26. Marydoe

And the landowner is still the almighty in this country, I guess, just like in the Middle Ages. Everyone thinking they should be able to buy a house is part of what got us into the current mess; you have people like the landlord who didn't pay the mortgage so the renter is screwed. Who wants to take bets the landlord was way overextended and owned multiple properties that he/she couldn't afford, in his/her efforts to get rich. Waa! I feel so sorry for the bank.

March 24, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  27. Allen Salowe

If Lisa Brown has a signed lease then she is protected through the term of her lease and the lender must honor it.

March 24, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  28. Don H

Okay all you "CRYING FRAUD" freaks, let's wisen up on this situation. This sort of thing happens all the time and has since the concept of rent has been around. If the landlord collects the rent money and the tenant is living in the house, they're getting what they've paid for. It's not a payment to own, it's a payment to live (typically 30 days worth). Chances are, this tenant is going to get her 30 days of living afforded to her by her last months rent, and if she doesn't, she can opt to take the landlord to court. Chances are however, now that the bank owns the property, she'll probably get her 30 days worth of living in the home AND stay a few more until the bank will be forced to remove her through the legal process. Trust me, she won't be out anything on this situation other than the deposit and inconvenience. RENT AT YOUR OWN RISK. It's time you're paying for, not ownership.

March 24, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  29. Jake Delahanty

She screwed up and has nobody to blame but herself. My sister owned a home in Morristown, NJ that she lost to foreclosure. She was stupid enough to lease a home two houses away for $2500/month – $7500 out of pocket – just because she loved the neighborhood. A four-bedroom home for she and her daughter. She was living way above her means, most likely the same as Ms. Brown and her three daughters.

If you can't look in the mirror and realize that you are part of the problem, you will never get it.

Some of the comments so far have been comical – sue the broker; write your Senator; etc. Give me a break people.

As long as you continue to payout more than you earn for crap you don't need and can live without, you'll continue to be broke, and clueless.

If you are fortunate to have any credit cards left, cut them up and sell anything that has value that you can live without.

One last comment – specifically for Brett. This isn't a case of forced eviction. This is a case of home ownership changing hands and the new owner not desiring rental tenants. This will not reflect anything negative, because it was not an option for Ms. Brown to remain in the house she legally rented. You're an idiot!

I own 14 rental properties in Florida, and when I've opted to sell any rental property, it's always been to the renter first. And, they know that if they cannot purchase the property that their lease with me becomes null and void upon new ownership. Get your head out of your butt!

This is a perfect example of people not willing to save for a rainy day – let's live for today. If I read that anyone says they can't save any money, I challenge you to prove it.

If you smoke, give it up and you'll save $20-40 a week. Stop drinking a 12-pack of beer every other day and you'll save another $30 a week. How about living without a trip to Starbucks 2-3 times a week – save another $10-15. That's $60-$85 per week. Think it can't be done? That's $240-340 per month – or $1440-$2040 in six-months.

You'll do it if you really want to do it. If not, you get exactly what you've planned for – nothing.

March 24, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  30. Craig

At least she can move on without a mortgage to worry about.

March 24, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  31. Steve

I don't feel sorry for these people. They knew there was ALWAYS a chance that their rental home "could" have been bought at any time, by any one, and for any reason, which would have left them seeking a new place to live, just as they are now. People who are upset about it happening now are only looking at it from the perspective that it is happening BECAUSE, and only because, of the terrible housing market. If it happened in a GOOD housing market, and the landlord lost his house because he SOLD it, rather than because he defaulted, would the renter be in any different situation? No. I think what is happening now in our economy is a very good thing because it will help people to address risk when entering into financial agreements. Hopefully, we will all learn from this and be better spenders and shoppers in the future.

March 24, 2009 at 5:40 pm |
  32. sheck

To Mike:
    Only stupid lenders are in this situation. If they didn't get greedy in the first place, they would not loose any money. Plus all lenders are risking a loss, that's why there us insurance.

March 24, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  33. hystbl

Hey Scott,

She paid 1900/month to rent this house. Most landlords ask 1st month, last month, and one or two months as a security deposit. At minimum she'd have to come up with 6000 to put down not including the cost of moving–truck rental, gas, etc.

Your comments reveal your deep ignorance and an ideological bent that clings bitterly to it along with your guns and religion. (Yeah, I said that on purpose.)

March 24, 2009 at 5:39 pm |
  34. Beth

It's horrible – the landlord doing the same thing to her as Madoff and other crooks have done to thousands along with AIG , Banks and Credit Card companies.

Man's inhumanity toward man...is this really the United States of America?

I am deeply sorry for her situation and if I lived near she and her children I would open my door.

Who knows, I could very easily see myself in the same place tomorrow.

March 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  35. Louis Moore

RE: DB/Chris

Get off the plantation! Race has nothing to do with this. Thank you for showing your intelligence.

March 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  36. dc

I cannot believe some of these comments.....Some of you are down right nasty human beings. What goes around comes around. Im sure some of you would pass a dying person on the street and not even stop to help.....its spineless...its easy to sit here and bad mouth people....renters...homeowners doesnt matter....its people! Have we become a society that will say anything just as long as it makes you sound tough at the expense of anyone? Or is it easy for you to sit at your computer and say nasty, negative, hateful things because no one can see your face? Well...I could probably pick you out on the street because ugly doesnt just blend in. Shame on you. So the next time something tragic happens to you (and it will) ask yourself if it happened because you were a substandard human being...because you were mean and hateful and enjoyed making others feel bad...try doing something nice for someone why dont you...instead of spreading your disease of hate to everyone.

March 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  37. sheck

There a lot of reasons to own and there are a lot of reasons to rent. If you rent there is always a possibility that you will have to move. In this case, I believe, bank has to give her 90 days to move out, if she's month to month and if she's on a lease then she can stay till the lease runs out. If the bank wants her out sooner, they have to go to court.

March 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm |
  38. Todd

How about a story about all the landlords that have been burned because deadbeat renters default on their rent and then file bankruptcy.

March 24, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  39. Marco Ramius

If there was a lease, most jurisdictions will preclude eviction until the lease ends. If a renter puts up a significant security deposit without a lease spelling out the rights and obligations of the parties, anything goes. Renting real estate is a significant act, it's only for adults who have enough common sense to sign a lease.

March 24, 2009 at 5:34 pm |
  40. Mike

Everyone seems to be forgetting that the lender is the real loser here. Although you have to feel for the tenant at the end of the day they've only lost their security deposit as they are paying month to month. The lender on the other hand has most likely lost tens of thousands of dollars by having to foreclose on a property and attempt to resell it in a depressed housing market.

March 24, 2009 at 5:32 pm |
  41. Lifelong Renter

To Paul: You're wrong ... this is news worthy. Why? Because this is a symptom of the times and it is telling of what is going on in this country right now. The bailouts of AIG, banks and others, along with the Bernie Madoffs of the day, are just the tip of the iceberg. The true impact of the current condition lies beneath the surface with the working man/woman, the single mothers and fathers, the "Average Joe." This story is just one of thousand, perhaps hundreds of thousands out there that put a real face to a real problem. This woman is but a representation of the impact the financial mess has had on EVERYONE, including you. You should take note because you could be the next one directly affected by some unforseen circumstance.

If you want to decry a story that is not news worthy, focus your efforts on the "Octumom."

March 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm |
  42. Kim

It does suck, but the contract probably states that if the house goes into foreclosure her contract is null and void. That is the way it goes if the owner died, too, typically. It is not fair to punish the lender to keep them from selling the house because she is living there.

March 24, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  43. Ian

The same thing happened to me a month ago! To those of you saying that you can just move out and find a new home, that's true, but the renter was being responsible, followed the rules and should not be punished, the leaser should follow the contract they sign no matter what! And those of you idiots who say that she is a renter and has no rights to the home and she should just buy a house, that is what a lease is for! It is an agreement so that she has some security. And people that want to rent (like me) might not want to buy a house. Why pay for a ball and chain!? Buying a house is not as smart as people make it out to be, it ties you down and you usually end up paying a lot more for the house then it is worth. Some people are responsible and realize that they might not be able to afford to buy a house, so they rent. People that ignore this and buy a house anyways are the ones who have created the mess that we are in! You people are morons, and buying houses is extremely over rated, paying rent is also paying for your freedom and it is responsible for people who do not like to get in over their heads.

March 24, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  44. botbot

if the lease gets broken it's all legal

renters are not entitled to anything outside of the lease

the only thing you can do is move on.

good luck!

March 24, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  45. Poor boy

While I agree with some of the comments about the renter I hope that none of you ever find yourself on the short end of the stick because with your smugness I don't think anyone will reach out a helping hand to you especially the racist who was all fired up about the race/gender selection...shame on you!

March 24, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  46. brad

conjosza – its not fraud! to collect rent and not make the payment. if that were the case the USA would be committing fraud every time thy collect taxes. here is another thing, have you ever thought about those of us who subsidize your rent becuse the payment is higher than the rental income? I am sick of those of you who have never Manned up to buying a house and turn around and say shame on you. if this were old ireland, you wouldnt even have a voice to vote being a renter.

March 24, 2009 at 5:25 pm |
  47. Mike

I am getting a little tired of reading (hearing) anecdotes about personal problems that someone is expected to fix – usually with oher people's money or by reducing other people's rights. I am retired and have lost a great deal of money that I was expecting to live on during my retirement. I am sure I'm not alone. Is someone going to take pity on me and those others and refund my/our losses? I bet not. Theses stories reinforce the apparently prevailing view that anyone who suffers a setback of some sort is a victim and should be "bailed out" at someone else's expense! As much as one might feel badly for the many people who have suffered, is it either logical or fair to highlight the few – with these sorrowful anecdotes – and ignore the rest? No, it is not! They are a disservice to this country and an insult to many of its citizens.

March 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  48. Brett

I think the majority of people commenting here have not rented for a long time. Finding a 2 bedroom apartment for under $1000/month is a small miracle. Finding a 3 bedroom house for under $2000/month is amazing even in this market and impossible without a broker.

March 24, 2009 at 5:24 pm |
  49. Kay Craft

Enough is Enough when will the consumer stop filling the aftermath of GREEDY SELFISH people, That landlord should have not taken her money. HE should have to let her live with him or come up with her money.

March 24, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  50. Don H

What would be the difference if the owner decided to put the house on the market and sell it – and say the new owners bought it with the intent to live in it. Wouldn't this tenant be evicted under those circumstances? It is time for this family to find a new home to rent....no big deal. It's not as though this renter has lost any real equity. Get on with it.

March 24, 2009 at 5:22 pm |
  51. Joy

Find a place to squat for a nominal fee? Extremely offensive. There are no nominal fees where I live. The average rent for a 1 bedroom is 800, for a 2 bedroom about $1200.

March 24, 2009 at 5:21 pm |
  52. Just a guy

Why is this news?

March 24, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  53. Vicky

I'm confused as to why people commenting don't see that the landlord committed fraud. He accepted a signed contract, took the renters money but then defaulted. It's called stealing!

March 24, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  54. brad

I have several properties, I am not paying the payment and am pocketing the rent. I have had dozens of tenants who have skipped out on the rent over the last seven years and I get nothing except the mess to clean up. using a management company is a scam as well. they take no liability, demand lower rents, and unqualify most people. This is not an easy problem to fix. I have lost well over 2 million durring this, and the four or five thousand I get to keep by pocketing the rent doesnt make up for it. Also, these tenants are stupid. they should stay as long as they can without paying rent, why on earth do you feel sorry for them? they get a great deal, nor rent pament, they can ransak the house without any recourse and take their time to move. I will be going bankrupt. feel sorry for the landlords.

March 24, 2009 at 5:18 pm |