American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 8th, 2009

Don’t Ask Don’t Tell Continues Under Obama

President Obama pledged during his presidential campaign to end the military’s ban on gays serving openly, otherwise known as Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. The president has been in office for over a hundred days and the armed forces continue to fire gays and lesbians who violate the military’s policy on serving openly as a homosexual.

Lt. Dan Choi of the New York National Guard is an Iraq War veteran and a West Point graduate. He also happens to speak fluent Arabic. Choi received a letter of discharge from the Army for “homosexual conduct.” His firing comes after he came out in March along with 37 other West Point graduates in a group called Knights Out.

Lt. Choi joined Carol Costello on CNN’s “American Morning” Friday. He acknowledges he made the choice to publicly admit his sexuality.

“I publicly admitted who I was. I refused to lie and to hide my identity. And because of that, they said, it doesn't matter that you graduated from West Point. It doesn't matter that you're fluent in Arabic. It doesn't matter that you went to Iraq and that you want to deploy again. Pack your stuff and go home. You're fired.”

The Department of the Army's discharge letter to Choi states, "This is to inform you that sufficient basis exists to initiate action for withdrawal of Federal Recognition in the Army National Guard for moral or professional dereliction... You admitted publicly that you are a homosexual which constitutes homosexual conduct... Your actions negatively affected the good order and discipline of the New York Army National Guard."

Choi says the letter was a “big slap in the face.”

“I raised my right hand and said I want to serve. My commander in chief is going to send 21,000 troops overseas. I want to be one of those… Basically, by me saying I am gay, they're saying that that ruined the good order and discipline of the entire New York Army National Guard, which is very ridiculous. From what I've seen, my unit has been very professional. I'm very proud of my unit. They respect all soldiers for what they can do as members of their team.”

The White House has not yet commented on Choi's case, but their website’s statement on the policy currently reads: “He [President Obama] supports repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell in a sensible way that strengthens our armed forces and our national security.”

This is a change from what the website previously stated in April, which was ”President Obama agrees with former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff John Shalikashvili and other military experts that we need to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. The key test for military service should be patriotism, a sense of duty, and a willingness to serve. Discrimination should be prohibited. The U.S. government has spent millions of dollars replacing troops kicked out of the military because of their sexual orientation. Additionally, more than 300 language experts have been fired under this policy, including more than 50 who are fluent in Arabic. The President will work with military leaders to repeal the current policy and ensure it helps accomplish our national defense goals.”

Since the passage of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell in 1993, more than 12,500 men and women have been discharged from the military under the law.

Filed under: Military
  1. Jeremy

On the topic of should gay men serve...

I think we forget how much we have learned from History. The spartans might have been the toughest army (per capita) ever assembled.

Also current soldiers (I have been one) are some of the most womanizing folks ever. All war has used rape as a weapon, even ones america has fought in. So to say gay men will force them self on other men, is probably accurate, but because they are soldiers in war, not because they are gay.

May 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  2. Ziad Hemzawi

This is so sad. I'm speachless.

May 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  3. Anthony

I urge all of you who are disgusted by "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" to call the White House comment line and flood them. Obama was elected for Change and Hope, this isn't it! Being a supporter of Obama I stick by his message that he's here to listen to us, so call. Their number is 202-456-1111. You may have to hold for awhile, but let your voices be heard!

As for keeping it hidden so others in the forces won't fight differently, and that if you think it's a personal decision to be gay then with that argument and following scientific method, then being straight would be a choice too. Yet the straight men and women of our military don't have to hide their sexual orientation. They can have tattoos of naked women on their bodies, they can talk about the woman they 'shagged' last night without fear of being discharged, they can even go out to strip clubs with their unit and degrade women! So really who's at fault? Who's creating this double standard?

May 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  4. Jan

Lt. Choi is doubly a hero to his country, first for graduating from West Point and serving in the military, and second for outing himself in such a public way and engaging in a national discussion of the draconian policy of "Don't ask, don't tell." This policy will eventually be repealed, in part due to the courage of Lt. Choi and others like him who have put themselves in the public eye to make the point of how the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy is absurdly outdated. Especially when our country has such a severe shortage of military personnel that the government hires private companies such as Blackwater and Hallibuton to conduct miitary business, it just doesn't make sense to put people out of the military over the inconsequential issue of their sexuality.

May 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  5. IM RIGHT

Although I dont agree with homosexuallity, This is horrible, but we cant put pure blame on Obama. I am sure this is one of those things that will be sorted out soon.

May 8, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  6. imacwill

Discrimination impoverishes us all. It not only denies the individual, it puts beyond reach all the contributions of the excluded.

A healthy society supports all it's citizens and reaps the benefits of their talents and hard work. A sick society does the opposite and cripples itself.

May 8, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  7. John K.

The LT was not discharged because he was gay; he was discharged because he chose to place his concern about the social/political consequences of his sexual orientation above his concern for good order and discipline in the Army.

Homosexuals can (and have) serve well and honorably in the military. Individuals who wish to to use their military service to advance political or social ends cannot.

May 8, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  8. Mike Maz

Im more afraid of uneducated rednecks in my military than gays.

May 8, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  9. Travis

I had the pleasure of serving the Army National Guard. A West Point multi-lingual graduate-gay or straight-is head and shoulders above a bunch of high school dropout wife beating losers. Gay lifestyle in the military? They still have uniform and appearance standards to adhere to, are you afraid this LT is going start blowing dudes instead of doing his job?

The Army National Guard should thank god they can find ten people with all their teeth willing to get blown up in a Korean War era truck. Consider yourself lucky they gave you the boot LT.

May 8, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  10. Todd

Having served in the Army as an officer for 15 years, and having deployed to Kosovo, Iraq x2, and Afghanistan, I can assure you that I know what it is like being a gay man in the military.

There are many persons who hypothesize that gay service members will cause disciplinary problems, but the research doesn't support this notion. Neither does my experience. In fact, I have observed that gay and lesbian service members tend to be very mission oriented given the restaints of DADT. Unlike their straight counterparts, gays and lesbians don't have the freedom to chat about themselves in detail, to discuss family events, or excuse themselves from work due to child care issues.

People can certainly fantasize or hypothesize to make up for their ignorance about gays and lesbians serving in the military. That doesn't give those fantasies of hypotheses weight, however. And staunchly defending ignorance isn't a good option either.

Get the facts, then decide.

May 8, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  11. Ron Howerton

God bless the US Military, last bastion of gov't sanctioned discrimination. I'm sure all good religious fanatics and homophobes are proud to know that their bigotry Lt. Choi cost this fine soldier his career. Good luck to Mr. Choi in his future endeavors!

May 8, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  12. Gregory Koulisis

We need a strong army therefore we need as many talented individuals as possible; let him serve our country, brilliant minds are being diverted from joining our countries' intelligence agencies that are being attacked mutliple times a day via cyber warfare and other venues need as many educated individuals as possible.

National Security should be the concern here not sexual orientation.

What people choose to do in their own home and with other consenting adults is a privacy issue – average American's interferring with what people do with their own bodies in a sexual nature is nonsense; do you want us to tell you what to eat and what to wear and what God to pray to? I think not. So stay out of the closet Leuitenant and America stay out of consenting adults bedrooms.

God Bless the USA and Dan Choi a true American.

May 8, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  13. USMCGRUNT

All I have to say is that I have seen my share of combat three tours in Iraq. (no more than anyone else..just my share... ). I am heterosexual and honestly I could care less what people do in their own lives. I don't care what your skin color, religious belief , or convictions are. I only care one about one thing, if you are going to stay and fight or run. People who think that they are going to be harassed or hit on when you are in a firefight are obviously thinking to high of themselves.... Get a grip people... Can't we use are time to talk and deal with issues that are important... this IS AMERICA... and discrimination against ANYONE.. defiles what the purpose of this country was founded on....

That being said.....

If sexual orientation denotes how one would act in combat.... there are plenty of heterosexual that should not be in combat....

May 8, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  14. ZAck

If you have never been in the military you views shouldn't count on this matter. Gays can be in the military they just cant flaunt it, there is no reason to. Save it for your personal time, not when your at work. It puts alot of people in uncomfortable situations. Imagine serving on a Naval ship. Females and Males are seperated to reduce sexual misconduct. Should we start making seperate berthings for homosexuals now?? Be who you want to be but know that when you take that "Oath" you need to keep some things to your self.

May 8, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  15. Mike Maz

Pretty ridiculous policy. I love how so many in here act as they know what people in the military are thinking about gays. for everyone that says it matters there is another who says it doesnt. One of my staff who has a brother in the Military just laughed and said.. no one gives a s–t about that. You think for one minute that fellow soldiers wouldnt want a qualifuied soldier fighting beside him gay or not?

I have an idea.. how about we keep qualified gays in the military and we get rid of the conservative rednecks in this forum? Wed be way better off.

May 8, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  16. John

If there is anyone out there that thinks that Obama will repeal the "Dont ask, Dont tell" policy, then there is a bridge in Brooklyn that I would like to sell to you. Just like Bill Clinton, Obama used the Gay vote and then dropped them like rotten bag of salad. I would have thought that the Gay community would have learned their lesson after Bill. The Gays should adopt a policy of "Dont Trust, Dont Believe, Dont Hope, Dont Hold Your Breath, Just Plain DONT!"

May 8, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  17. carl

I am an OEF Vet and I had a homosexual on my team. When the rounds start flying, racisim, sexism and all the other ism's do not matter. with that being sad, My homosexual Soldier was a medic and a good one. I wonder if this LT simply wanted to walk away from his military Commitment, maybe he wanted to get out of any future NYARNG deployments ? Food for thought

May 8, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  18. Jeremy

The good thing about the ban is it gives our poor folks who enlisted because it was the only way to go to college and escape poverty, a way out. Just say your gay and you don't have to kill for the Empire.

May 8, 2009 at 2:21 pm |
  19. Don

What else can be said except that this is the result of Democrats hating gay people! Otherwise why would Clinton have created the policy and Hussein endorse it with open arms??? It's a fact, Democrats hate the gays and they are homophopbic. Clinton could have created an "Open-Serve" policy that would allow gays and bi's to serve openly, but he didn't do it. And now Hussein had the chance to advance the Republic one more step toward a free nation by updating the policy to open-serve and he waffled! Oh well! You liberals (gay and straight alike) voted for him, so, you get what you deserve!!!!

May 8, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  20. Jim

I love the way a liberal idiot likes to label people who dont believe the way the do as 'small-minded' and themselves as 'open-minded'. Everyone is closed-minded to ideas they don't believe in. If I don't agree with you, then I am the one that gets tagged with a derogatory label? I dont agree with homosexuality so I'm a homophobe, I don't agree with the nonsense you are trying to brain-wash me with, so I am 'close-minded',... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Who cares what you think?

May 8, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  21. NYCHIK

My Government disgusts me!!

May 8, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  22. jeff

Why is that when straight people don't agree with gays, we're called racist or bigots. I think you gays are racist and bigots for not agreeing with straights.

I watched national geographic last night and the subject was on reproduction in the wild......Not once did it show or mention gays trying to reproduce. Oh that's right, gays can't reproduce, hence, another reason why being gay isn't natural or right

May 8, 2009 at 2:19 pm |
  23. cra

It is interesting that "troop morale" was a reason the army resisted intergrating the army in the 1940s. "Troop morale' was the reason
    the army resisted giving entrance to West Point and high level command jobs to women. Now troop morale is the reason to discharge gay men and women from the service. The old argument that the army isn't the place for social experiments is false – the army is one big social experiment. It takes men and women from diverse social, ethnic, and economic groups and tries to weld them into a cohesive unit which is one mighty big experiment. Let's be frank if this country was serious about fighting the war on terrorism we would give a rats ass about sexual orientation, we would only care the people serving could do that job. A Arabic speaking, West Point graduate, and Iragi war veteran seems to be highly qualified to do that. If anyone out there thinks they can do better – join up and do a tour of duty in a war zone – don't just sneer at those who do.

May 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  24. Frank

One more time...WHEN YOU JOIN THE US ARMED SERVICES BY YOUR OWN CHOICE, YOU SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE THAT YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS THEREIN...A CONTRACT!!! YOU BONE HEADS THAT HAVE NEVER SERVED HAVE NO CLUE...IN THE MILITARY, YOU ARE NOT THE AVERAGE JOE CITIZEN WITH CIVIL LIBERTIES TO SPEAK YOUR MIND, NOR DO YOU HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS THOSE YOU PROTECT IN THIS COUNTRY, YOUR ASS BELONGS TO THE US GOVERNMENT!!!! IT'S NOT ABOUT LOOKING AT EACH OTHER IN THE SHOWER!!!

May 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  25. Anthony

to mike who said: "The small-minded bigotry expressed in some of the comments here is absolutely astounding. Bigots have no place in a diverse society. Instead of gays finding their own country where they can come out, as one writer urged, I suggest a better solution is for all bigots to find a place where they can all go and engage in their group-hate of all who are different. You are not welcome in this society"

i have found such a place – its called America. our forefathers will roll in their graves the day when a perfectly healthy heterosexual man is told he "isn't welcome in this society" by a homosexual. i laugh at that folly.

the military must not be a place for homosexuals. its perfectly fine. i'm hetersexual and i'm pissed that i can't help dress models in the fashion industry because i'd be too much of a distraction (well, my aroused genitalia would be the distraction). i think before anyone has anything to say about DADT they should first have to serve in the military. let the fine men and women who already serve our country decide. this is like all that hoopla years back about women not being allowed at Augusta to golf. those women didn't care about not being allowed on the golfcourse – they didn't even golf – they just don't like the idea of things not being fair.

May 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  26. Anthony

Are you for real ?

Racy May 8th, 2009 12:20 pm ET

"Cut the Crap. Only real men are to be in the Army. I support the Military for firing him. This nations sucks and it is going to Hell."

It takes a real man to put up with homophobia. It takes an even bigger man to enter the military, so he can serve his country, knowing how fiercely anti-gay the military can be.

May 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  27. Steve

"Why is this not a hate crime?"

LT Choi commited the crime here... Flat out... End of story... Good night...

Here are the rights that are deserving in this case. You LIE about your sexuality and then admit it... You have earned the right to be kicked out on your butt and dishonorably dishcharged.

Would you with kids let them sleep, bath or shower with the opposite sex? Would you all like your son or daughter being visually violated and starred at in a sexual manner? Didn't think so...

I feel sorry for you and anyone you infect with this equal rights garbage you suggest. These rules ultimately come from everyone's creator, which is God. And you push them away from what is right and good. Pushing them into the pits of Hell. How thoughtful of you.

May 8, 2009 at 2:17 pm |
  28. sonofdy

I find it amazing that people where who claim the higher ground label anyone who disagrees with them as "bigots" and "haters". This exactly the same language that has justified human rights abuses all throughout history. Instead of telling people to "leave the country", perhaps you might try to understand where the other side is coming from.

May 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  29. John (Amercian Soldier German)

I've served in the military for 15 years and I'm gay. The issue isn't whether we should discuss our sexuality openly. The issue isn't that gays wish to have special rights.

The issue is not being afraid that after all you have given to your country (service) and your country has given to you, that you could loose everything in your life (career, friends, military family) if you get discovered.

All the individuals that I have had the pleasure of serving with that know my orientation have had ZERO problems with it because I was their friend prior to them knowing.

One of the worst things is to call your co-workers your friends but be lying to them everyday about who you are.

DO AWAY WITH DISCRIMINATION!

May 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  30. Scott

Lets hope this doesnt cautch on with people going back to a war zone for the 4th time on a forced extended enlistment.
    Think what it do to the demographics and prime time network TV.

May 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  31. Joyce

Having just retired from the military 1 March 2009, I fully understood the military policies and the UCMJ. DADT was established to NOT single out gays and lesbians in the miliary. Therefore, the military would not ask and the members would not tell.

Agree, LtCol appears to be an outstanding officer an a great asset to the military, but he took the risk to tell. As a LtCol, I'm sure he was retirement qualified, so people don't feel too bad from him.

Yes, I beleive the DADT policy should be changed, b/c the military seek qualifications, skills and willingness to serve.

May 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  32. RP

Something many of the civilians here might not be aware of, is that by joining the military, you have restrictions placed on your freedom of speech. In uniform and while your status is known as a member of the United States military, you are a representative of the military as a whole, and subsequently any political, social, or other opinions you espouse may be construed as being "government approved", and are strictly prohibited and even punishable. DADT in many ways acts as an extension of this existing rule, when you come publicly you're making a statement.

Now, regardless of your opinion of the DADT policy, Lt. Choi challenged the authority of his commanding officers, who subsequently had no choice but to follow regulations. He knew what the consequences would be when he came out, but he chose to make a grandstanding political statement instead of humbly serving his country, unlike the many others that are quietly serving right now. He chose himself over his country, so I have no sympathy for this man.

May 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  33. Gary

People, get a grip on reality! If you're in a war zone you need to concentrate to stay alive. If you're worried about the guy next to you because of his sexual orientation, that's a distraction that could cause you to catch a bullet in the head or trip a IED. Homophobia is real, deal with it, it's always going to be around no matter what law gets passed. The overwhelming majority of servicemen are straight so for their protection, remove all distractions. We need our soldiers 100% focused on their mission. Is being PC worth putting other soldiers at risk so a few gay serviceman can serve? Maybe we should just put together a gay battalion? That would make everyone happy and probably scare the hell out of the enemy!

May 8, 2009 at 2:16 pm |
  34. Juan G

Our country needs to live up to its promises… all are equal. If a soldier is willing to swear on his or her life to die defending this country, then how can a nation for the people, by the people ,say no? Hypocrisy will be our undoing.

May 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  35. Phil S

This policy needs to change yesterday. Not only due to all the arguments vis-a-vis equal protection, but because it would (hopefully) cause an exodus of some of the Neanderthals who currently make up the evangelical-ultraconservative core of the forces, thereby making joining the service a more palatable option for pretty much everyone else.

And, yes, I'm currently serving: USN 1996-present

May 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  36. Frank in Wilton Manors

What's funny is the military must be so loaded with scared little boys that will just have to hist up their skirts and run shrieking away from some guy (who has more courage than these little boys will ever have). I don't know what specialty this fellow had but if you're injured and in a foxhole, under fire, do you really care that the guy who saves you is gay?

May 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm |
  37. LR

Honesty is always the best policy-apparently that is a concept that the Armed Forces doesn't understand. He served his country well with pride and dignity and was very well respected-he was "gay" then and he still is "gay"-nothing has changed, except a spoken word. The President should be so honest and carry through with his "promise".

I am fast losing respect for this nation.

May 8, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  38. Christian

I'll disagree with folks who claim they don't go around telling folks they are heterosexual, especially military folks, because they're lying.

I'm hetero myself, but I have a lot of gay friends. I also grew up around the military my entire life, both Army and Navy. Every time you talk about the girl you hooked up with on shore leave, or the awesome oral gratification you got from that hot little office girl at the MP station, you're saying "HEY LOOK, I'M HETEROSEXUAL". Heterosexuals are constantly waving reminders of their sexuality all over, and military folks talk trash about their sexual exploits more than college frat boys, and being an officer doesn't stop that. I heard stuff in Officer Bachelor's quarters growing up that would make most grown ups blush.

The fact is, when hetero folks hold hands, kiss, snuggle, or even get a bit passionate in public, it ranges from amusement and support to a simple "Inappropriate". When gays do it, it's " disgusting" or "morally objectionable", or even "illegal". When heteros are on TV, it's not an issue, but when gays are on TV, even if they're in normal, stable relationships or even celibate, it's "pushing the gay agenda". So what is the gay agenda? Being gay? Admitting being gay? Faithfully and accurately portraying gay lifestyle in any sort of media that you might see? Where is the point where it goes from an accurate slice of the world we live in to outright political agenda.

If you even have an answer for that question, then you're probably a bigot, and it's too late already.

May 8, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  39. Randall

Retired Army.......

How does being gay effect unit readiness? Does being gay make you unable to fire your weapon or perform your mission? Are you not able to concentrate on the enemy because you are distracted by all those good looking soldiers in uniform? Does a straight soldier lose focus because instead of concentrating on that enemy sniper he is worried about if the gay soldier is mentally undressing him? Give me a break about the morale and welfare of the soldiers.

May 8, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  40. rog

I didn't read all of the posts, but really...what did he expect would happen when he came out??? I know of gays in the Air Force, but they are not 'announcing' or 'coming out' because as a whole, it isn't the Air Force's business. Besides that, the gays I know don't feel they need to come out because they don't see heterosexuals having a coming out meeting or a heterosexual rights day...the right for heterosexuals to NOT accept homosexuality.

May 8, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  41. Ron

Enlisted personell in the Navy sleep in very tight quarters. 2 sailors will literally sleep in a space that is smaller than a king size bed.

I think that hetrosexual sailors have rights also...one of those rights should be the ability to get a good night sleep without worrying that someone will molest you.

I am positive that I would not want to sleep with a serious homosexual 2 feet away.

That is also the reason why men and women have segragated sleeping quarters on ships. Of course, I guess that we could have men, women, male homosexual and female homosexual... that would give everyone a safe place to sleep.

May 8, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  42. jason

No homosexuals in the military, period...Don't like it, don't sign up...You weren't forced to join

May 8, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  43. Dania

Rules are rules! It is the politicians and congress that make up the military policies~stop blaming the military! I did my time in the Air Force and yes, my roommate was a lesbian. I spoke my peace and told her I had no heartburn working with you, just don't try to persuade your ways on me. Needless to say, I see nothing wrong with gays and lesbians serving their country. If you do decide to join, do your job and follow the rules including "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

I wish the best of luck to Lt Choi, however, I have to agree with the National Guard, they were following the policy. If he only had kept his mouth shut for another year or so, he'd still have a job.

May 8, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  44. GI Joe

It's very simple. This is a volunteer military and no one twisted his arm to join. He knew of the military regulation prior to raising his hand. Who cares what language he knows. As a retired military guy with over 24 years in, the military is based on rules and regulations that I followed every day. It just seems that he is simply looking for a lawsuit because he likes to have relations with men. If the regulation changes, then and only then homosexuals could come out and do what they want, within the regulation.

The bigger question Americans should question is why women over 18 do no have to register for the Selective Service, like all men over 18 do. I find that unfair to all men. If the Nation would require a draft, capable men and women should equally be drafted.

If you have never served but commenting on this story, you really shouldn't since you have NEVER served. You have only lived a life that was protected by people like me who VOLUNTEERED to protect this fine Nation.

May 8, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  45. Gary

How many of you respondents have ever served in the military? Those who haven't, have NO basis on which to voice an opinion, except idealism, which does not always work. I served aboard nuclear submarines for many years, and if a man had come out of the closet while we were on patrol, you opinionated but uninformed folks cannot imagine the repercussions it would have caused.

May 8, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  46. Bruce Hogman

President Truman ended racial discrimination with an Executive Order over the objections of the military at that time. The arguments used then are identical to the arguments used today against openly gay men and women serving in the military.

Our allies allow gays to serve in their military. It is evident that their military forces are not degraded because of that. Are our own military forces so much inferior that they would suffer from having gays serve?

Some of the most valiant warriors in history were the Greeks. They had a tradition of male sexual bonding.

How little our own military seems to have learned from the ending of racial discrimination by President Truman and from the experiences of our own allies. Perhaps our own military leaders are not as intelligent. Remember the $600 toilet seats?

May 8, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  47. sonofdy

The military works because they obey REGULATIONS. Those regulations and policies are dictated by civilians. You don't get to pick and choose. This military is doing the right thing by enforcing regulations passed down by civilian leadership. So to those idiots here who are attacking the military for doing thier jobs, talk to obama, not us in the military. If one of my troops came up to me and told me he was gay, the first thing I would do is tell him to be quiet about it. If he didn't do that then I would be forced, by regulation, to assist in kicking him out. Even if I disagreed with that regulation. I also don't agree with AR 600-9 because it has gotten very fit people with different body styles kicked out, but I enforce it equally. This Lt was an idiot. He has only himself to blame. Being in the guard, they would have ignored his gayness unless he made a big deal about it. It is a shame he felt it was more important to make a political statement rather than just obey regulations.

May 8, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  48. Penny

I'm a gay woman. I have never served in the military, but appreciate those who do. Being gay, I would never join the military due to this policy, among other reasons. Lt. Choi knew the policy and chose to come out; he knew what would happen. I appreciate how he feels, but he does know the rules as they stand now. His superiors are not to blame for enforcing the rules; Obama needs to be a leader and get rid of DADT. The military is the military - for better or worse, it is what it is, and I don't understand why any gay person would want any part of it, but if they decide to serve they do know the rules going in. To those who mention separate living quarters for gays/straights as comparable to separate quarters for males/females, as if sexual orientation is the same as gender, 1., I guarantee y'all ain't as hot as you think you are; 2., As a female, I don't care if you boys want to shower in the same area as me; I'm there to clean up, not scope anyone out, so knock yourselves out; and 3., Are you attracted to every single human being with chromosomes that are opposite yours? Neither are gay folks. Yes, some gay men and women will ogle anyone and anything, but not everyone is like that. DADT is a wasteful, short-sighted, ridiculous policy. BUT - Choi knew the rules. Let every gay person now serving in the US military quit at the same time - now THAT would prove a point, as Choi seems to be trying to do.

May 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  49. Jymbo

God help us that a Gay or Lesbian wants to marry and have a lifelong committment or serve our country honorably. For shame, have you no decency? Is your closet so small that you had to come out of it?
    (for those who can't figure out sarcasm....this is sarcasm)

May 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  50. Zoe

Thank you, Lt. Choi, for serving. I am irritated by the DADT supporters' comments that assume those who advocate repeal of DADT have never served in the military and "just don't understand." Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), the lead organization pushing for the end to DADT, has gays, straights, civilians and vets serving on its staff and its board. It has a Military Advisory Committee with over 30 members with ranks as high as a 2 star General, both gay and straight, that are pushing for the end to this discriminatory policy. So please stop complaining about how "you just don't understand how special and unique the military is, and leave us alone to continue to discriminate." When fully qualified, skilled servicemembers like Lt. Choi are being discharged, not for misconduct or performance but for who they are, and replaced by freshly recruited convicted felons, THAT ruins unit effectiveness.

Signed, Retired Navy Commander and U.S. Naval Academy graduate

May 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  51. Steve

This country is obsessed with the gay debate – and the ones talking about it the most are the homophobes. When this country finally accepts gay men and women as equal citizens, I guarantee the military will not crumble, marriage will not blow up in a cloud of smoke, churches will not fall, and your children will not turn gay. Can we just accept freedom and equality FOR ALL and move on? Obama, do it already.

May 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  52. Todd

Sorry Chuck, the world isn't so black and white. While adultery is punishable under UCMJ, charges are rarely filed against service members. Rarely is anyone convicted or separated. And, even though it is a UCMJ crime, adultery occurs day after day by service members. Furthermore, adultery does impact morale and unit cohesion, particularly when affairs occur between service members (for example, during deployment).

DADT appears "criminalize" a service member's trait without regard to its actual impact on the unit. DADT is more enforced than UCMJ-related adultery charges.

Sounds like bigotry to me, not common sense.

May 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  53. Mitch

It's time for Lt. Choi to grow up. He knew the rules and the chance he was taking by coming out. The policy does not say gays are not allowed. The policy is we won't ask and we don't want you to tell us. I served 6 years in the Navy for this country during the first Gulf War. To be honest I was upset when the Don't ask Don't tell policy was put in place by Clinton. The military is not civilian life and if you have never lived it you would not understand. Three cheers for some segament of the population that is still willing to live by their code of conduct. I am even more proud to be a veteran today. It is clear that most of the posters to this message board have never served their country.

May 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  54. Shadysider

The majority of our Arabic speaking officers happen to be homosexual. WHO CARES? These are the soldiers we need out in the field conducting interviews, letting civilians know we want to help them and everything else that can be done by our soldiers who speak the native languages of where they are stationed. It's common sense. Repeal 'don't ask, don't tell.' Not only does it not work, but it is removing the most needed of our soldiers and alienating new recruits.

May 8, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  55. Richard

Here in the UK we had the same arguments that allowing gay men and lesbians in the military would somehow undermine discipline.

Well, guess what? The ruling was changed some years back. And it didn't create so much as a ripple of disturbance. Military life went on as before, except now it was a more accepting and comfortable place for some of its men and women to work in.

Clearly the US military think there are so many talented, intelligent Arabic speakers hanging around on street corners that they can afford to squander the tax dollars spent on Lt Choi's training.

'Don't ask don't tell' was a piece of moral cowardice on Clinton's part. It should be repealed ASAP.

May 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  56. Randall

Aaron said....

"I appreciate the military for adhereing to strict moral standards. The military is 100 percent oposite of the civilian world and unless you are part of it you don’t and won’t understand that way of life. Homosexuality would be a downgrading of a higher standard of living."

Aaron, are you serious? I am a military veteran and to say that they are sticking to their strict moral standards by kicking out someone because of their sexual orientation is insane. If a soldier has a child out of wedlock or sleeps around is that moral? Not by a lot of standards, but you wouldnt get kicked out as long as your partners are of the opposite sex. There is no higher standard of living, and someone being gay doesnt place them below you. The real problem is not this articulate,educated, dedicated man who happens to be gay, but the homophobic soldiers like yourself who feel that the a person choosing to love someone of the same sex makes them incapable of protecting your life, your country, and your chosen way of life.

May 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  57. Kevin

There's more to this besides Lt. Choi being gay. It has to do with the military being totally embarassed that Choi and most other gay service members, over achieve and accomplish more in their short military careers than most of these bigoted, first line level, grunts posting on here have every accomplish in their lifetime.

May 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  58. Jeffery Bradley

Mr. Choi knew the laws of the military. When he raised his hand he agreed to abide by the laws of the military .... he didn't. Now he has to suffer the consequences just like all citizens in America has to abide by the laws of the land. Rather right or wrong, the current law is what is it and it does not change just because he speaks Arabic. This has nothing to do with him being gay ... he tried to go against the military institution and lost. As far as I can see, the military is doing a great job at keeping America safe! If there was no Don't Ask, Don't Tell he's still be in the military ... "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse" ... heard that one before?

May 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  59. bill

If a regular corporation were to fire you because you are gay, they would get SUED for discrimination.

May 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  60. Randall

Aaron May 8th, 2009 12:21 pm ET

May 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  61. Jackie in Dallas

And Retired Army,

I'm a Vietnam era vet, and the daughter of a U.S. Army Lt. Col, who served in both WW2 and Korea. Altogether, there have been seven generations of U.S. veterans in my family. My father talked at home about knowing that several of his battalion were gay, but presented no problems at all to morale or readiness. There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of gays that have served, and served faithfully and well - and whose orientation, while not discussed, was common knowledge. Your argument might have been borderline correct 30 years ago, but it certainly isn't now! But then, I presume you also think that women serving in the military are "distracting" or even blacks!

May 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  62. larah

Aaron, you are full of it. The military is not all that it's made out to be. I'm speaking from experience myself so don't tell me I have no clue.
    Just because someone might be homosexual does not mean they are any different than you and me. Physically they are not, their orientation is not a choice just like being heterosexual is not a choice.

I'm glad I did NOT vote for Obama.... it just shows that politicians promise a lot in order to get your vote, but once they have it they couldn't care less.

May 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  63. Don

As a nation, the US needs to grow up! A man that wants to defend you can't serve because he is gay? Tell me how being gay prevents being qualified as a soldier. Service to country, patriotism and a desire to be better as a person are the requirements for military service as i see it. We have gay and lesbian soldiers serving in Canada's military and they are competent professional soldiers. Smarten up you guys, and get with the rest of the world. Stop with the bigotry and hatred and let good people do good work.

May 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  64. Roz

I too would like to see more prosecution of heterosexuals under sexual misconduct laws. Adultery is still a crime within the military. Gays should start narcing on all sexual misconduct they see straights doing. If its still illegal to "fraternize" with other soldiers then tell on them when they do! If you find out that a married soldier is carrying on an affair rat them out.
    On another note, I do understand the whole "gang showers" thing. But what do other civilized countries do? Are you really trying to convince reasonable people that we cannot afford to spend a little extra money to create a "gay" shower stall?

May 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  65. Stuck Behind a Desk Duty (computer guru)

Active Duty.

You sound very insecure. One of my friends at the police academy was gay and quit over repeated comments from an bigoted instructor who had been told to cut it out. I have worked in small unit policing and had no issues with any gay co-workers. We all wear the same uniform and depend on each other to make it home safe. Is the US military so different than that of other countries or even tight knit police units??? I have not heard about any "gay" problems coming up in Kandahar...

May 8, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  66. sarge

As a young marine I never considered what impact gays serving in the military could have. That is, until I received an unwanted advance that made me mad as hell. Then I realized, that when I was taking a shower with those I was supposed to fight with, to trust, to possibly die with, some guy was enjoying himself sexually by looking at the naked bodies around him. Gay is not the norm and creates trust issues when openly pursued in the military environment. This has nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with inter-personal relationships. Just because I am offended or uncomfortable when a gay person expresses interest in me does not make me a bigot. Mr. Choi understood the rules of the club he joined. He chose to violate those rules. What should he expect?

May 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  67. Eddykane

I served in Iraq and what DeeJay is saying to totally correct. Imagine working in a combat environment and you have young men and women working closely together for a year...here comes the problems.

1st-People are going to start developing feeling for one another, what is wrong with this, it starts in fighting among the Soldiers. One guy will start to like this female Soldier and another may like her also so they are now competing and not focusing on their combat mission/roles. You can ask anyone that has served and has had Soldiers under their responsibilty and they will tell you that when you mix men and women together away from their families for a year or more, they are going to start sexual relationships with each other. This is why our direct combat units do not allow women, not because they are seen less then men but because it is their jobs to direct the enemy face to face, not from a computer terminal miles away, but face to face and having women in the unit will derail these young men's thinking. They will no longer focus on the mission but be focusing on who is messing with their woman. This is also why Adultery is illegal in the military, how would you like it if your battle buddy is having problems because someone back at the base stateside is sleeping with your wife, this person can't focus on protecting the team from the enemy. One last thing, for the person who stated that they are glad they never had anything to do with the military shame on you.

May 8, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  68. Mobius

I see no difference in sending Homosexuals to slaughter than sending Heterosexuals. The end game is the same. Pointless slaughter, enraging the world against the US. FAIL.

May 8, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  69. John, Los Angeles CA

The funny thing is he can't serve in the military if he's gay, but can join work for the CIA, NSA, FBI or Secret Service being gay.

It makes no sense at all. You should be judged on what you do not who you choose to have sex with.

May 8, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  70. Vanessa

There is a reason they do things in the Military its for group cohesion, trust, etc.. There doesn't need to be any additional distractions. I am a woman and I understand why we aren't allowed to serve in certain functions of the military. They same goes for Gays..maybe they can fill a certain function, but what service are they doing when they openly try to stick out and be different. I don't think I want liberal ideaism to effect what the military has found to work when protectig the security of our country. IF you don't want to be kicked out of the Military follow the rules...Don't tell. Otherwise find another profession.

May 8, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  71. Teddy

"I don't flaunt the fact that I'm a heterosexual"

That's because it is assumed. If everyone assumed you were gay, I'm sure you'd flaunt your straightness plenty. In fact maybe it's not "flaunting" at all; just correcting!

May 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  72. Cpl Smith USMC

What I dont understand is why anyone is surprised or outraged over this. The policy was in place long before any of those service memebrs thought it would be a good idea to even join the military. They accepted the oath and lied about their orientation to begin with. During my time in service I served with Marines who were (not openly)gay and when they made their orientation know and were subsequently discharged I was sad to see them go but they entered into the situation knowing that would happen.

May 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  73. Christopher

My father was a retired Marine, and when I was 18 I had to take a long look at myself and military. I finally chose not to join any arm services due the fact that I am gay. I did not want to have the chance that one day I would be kicked out after serving my country proudly just for being myself. I decided I would have to service my country to my best of abilities as a "normal" citizen. I wanted to follow in my fathers foot steps but did not due to this stupid law " don't ask don't tell. I really appreciate Choi service that he has put in and respect him more for standing up and coming out. I can only pray that one day we can service proudly while being open about ourselfs. Many of gay men and woman will gladly serve this country!
    Chris

May 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  74. Kathleen

Lt Choi may be the spark that ignites the cause. As a country I hope we get past this ridiculous discrimination.

May 8, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  75. MaryAnn

I'll start worrying about gays and lesbians undermining the efficacy and esprit de corps of our troops just as soon as I hear about a gay Tailhook incident.

May 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  76. small voice

So much time and effort on these replies. So much wasted bandwidth IMHO.
    Unless you are NOT serious about what you are writing about (just 'stirring the muck') have you tried contacting your senator or congressman? Written a letter to the Commander-In-Chief? Posted on his website?
    As it has been mentioned, the military is following edict/law/legislature as they must. It is not the military's fault and it would be 'unamerican' to not follow the law.
    If you disagree with a law (or Executive Order) it must be repealed or overturned or ammended.
    As fundamentally and morally commendable as this man is for taking personal responsibility and about declaring his sexuality and as central as the core-belief that this is what the military prescribes, it also knowingly violates a part of the USCMJ (rules) which, as contrary as it may seem (and arguably a source of personal identity crisis as well as the epitome of confusion) is one of the fundamental parts of his oath he swore in when he enlisted.
    I am not arguing any rights or wrongs here other than to try to get those who are so fully motivated and strongly biased (one way or the other) to contact the legislature departments that can change the 'rule' or keep it the same.
    I have a son in the military and I was in the military myself. Whether I agree with either side I reserve for correspondance with my elected representatives (and I am not quiet on almost any subject that I feel strongly about).
    So, it's FINE you post here but I sure hope you put your pen/keyboard to work in a direction that will actually have a chance of DOING something in addition to your words here.
    Enjoy!

May 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  77. Ron

So, according to some of these comments re: why gays should not be allowed to serve because the straight soldiers would have to, heaven forbid, sometimes openly SHOWER with them and the gay soldiers, heaven forbid, might get AROUSED. Oh my. I suppose then, that we should outlaw all heterosexual gynecologists? Do you idiots honestly think you can't control your sexual desire when necessary? How bloody ignorent are you? Show of hands, please....

May 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  78. Steve

Since when is sexuality your identity? I think that is the most disturbing part about people coming out, how the sexuality is there entire identity.

And why should he be surprised or indignant? He knew the rules, all he had to do was not throw his sexuality in anyones face, and he could go on serviing, but he could not do that. This is all on him.

May 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  79. Jim

For all those who refuse to accept it.... this country is NOT a democracy Or based upon socialism..... it IS a Republic. For those of you who do not know the difference, maybe you need to look it up.

May 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm |
  80. tim

OK, I do not see the problem here, no one has asked me about my sexual preferences, nor do I prefer to discuss them with anyone, especially a nation. What you prefer, and do, is your business, just dont talk about it with everyone. That is exactly what the DONT ASK, DONT TELL policy means. They wont ask you, and you wont tell them. No one asked me of my orientation and I did not tell them.
    There is a reason for this rule, as someone mentioned before, troops have to sleep in the same beds, utilized the shower at the same time, etc. Homosexuals, admittedly, have a sexual attraction to people of the same sex. This is the same exact thing as allowing males and females to sleep in the same bed, take showers together, etc. This would undoubtedly disrupt good order and discipline and will never be allowed. So why should we allow men who admittedly are sexually attracted to other men sleep in the same bed, take showers with other men who are not attracted to them? Would you let a man who just wanted to serve his country, and was fluent in Arabic and did his job well, take a shower with your duaghter, wife, sister? I dont think so.

May 8, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  81. Brian

First, many of you are being narrow minded when seeing the consequences of his decision to speak out.

Second, Choi signed up for the National Guard and West Point fully knowing the rules. He broke his contract with the government by speaking out. Just like any other contract by an employer, such as major league sports, you break the contract you are terminated.

Third, Choi would after speaking out and then being shipped to Iraq would of faced severe backlashes from others. He would of been a target for discrimination.

Fourth, he disobeyed a direct order not to speak out. So we are telling him its okay to disobey your superiors? So the next time he chooses to disobey and not follow the rules and my brothers and sisters in the military or killed because of his decision. This is okay?

Finally, the law was there for protection it should stay. And I like how some of you (janie) like to add random facts, not true, about CIA and FBI. Way to discredit yourself and others in their opinions.

God Bless America and Mrs. California especially.

May 8, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  82. DJ

DeeJay, well said.

It all so has to do with fore knowledge. Every homosexual that joins the military knows of that rule and in the case of the 37 "Knights Out" they also received a full education from West Point a foreign language training under the premise of that rule so it is those individuals that waste the governments money.

May 8, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  83. Jackie in Dallas

Excuse, me, Racy, did you say that only real men should serve in the U.S. Army?

Hmmm. I wonder what the one-, two-, and three-star female Generals and Admirals would think of that comment? Or the hundreds of thousands of women who are active duty or veterans? That just happens to include me. Well, I can tell you what I think, and that is that it is obvious you have never served! Or if you have, you've never had a female officer.

I can also tell you that thousands of honorably serving men and women of our military are gay, but not out. We've even had some that have been considered for the highest honors in the military branches who were gay. And that some of the greatest military organizations in the world were either led by or consisted primarily of gays. "Real men" are men with courage, heroism, loyalty, and ethics - and whether they are straight or gay doesn't matter one iota!

May 8, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  84. john

Idiotic. Apparently gay-fear has a higher importance than national security.

May 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  85. Chris

To "Douglas from the USA",

"I don’t go around telling everyone that I’m heterosexual. The only time I speak of it is when I am propositioned by a homosexual."

YOU WISH

May 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  86. RickyRecon

As a Marine of 10yrs I read this story and I applaud the Good Old UCMJ and It's actions. In any military unit specifically infantry unit cohesion is necessary..loyalty and respect as well..a leader without respect of a majority of his troops or non acceptance should not be able to remain because that creates a weak link. To be honest the "don't ask don't tell" policy is not to discriminate against them but to protect them. You tell a group of Grunts there's a homosexual in the mist of their unit and I guarantee you one of them will eventually physically harm the good old Lt. or he may end up going UA at a formation.

May 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  87. Michael

The small-minded bigotry expressed in some of the comments here is absolutely astounding. Bigots have no place in a diverse society. Instead of gays finding their own country where they can come out, as one writer urged, I suggest a better solution is for all bigots to find a place where they can all go and engage in their group-hate of all who are different. You are not welcome in this society.

May 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  88. Retired Army

Gay lifestyle does not work in the Military. Openly serving in the Military is a distraction to the morale and welfare of the troops. I don't expect someone who has never served in the Army to understand what I am talking about. Gays in the Military will never admit that it is a distraction and will be a cause of numerous other problems. It is not about hate or discrimination, but unit readiness. If he still wants to serve his country, let him join the FBI or CIA.

May 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  89. BJ Moritz

Paul Wisconsin said...
    "Main stream america is getting sick of the gay agenda and how they jam it down our throats."

Agenda? Yes, how dare gays and lesbians want to be treated equally! Shame on them for being good, loyal, tax-paying Americans and expecting the same rights as everyone else! Evil gays, wanting to be treated like human beings!

May 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  90. xxxx

"Gay men are not sex-crazed monsters." REALLY??? Have you ever actually WATCHED a 'Gay Rights" parade??? AND you want those people protecting you?

May 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  91. Chris

Sounds like "Paul from Wisconsin" is a closet homo himself. He says that gays are "shoving it down [his] throat."? Hmmm....Macbeth comes to mind.

May 8, 2009 at 1:59 pm |
  92. Jack

First:
    I believe that every American should have the right to serve their Country. No matter who they are with the exception of "age". We old guys have trouble handling the "heat" and war is a young person's world.

But...
    Until the administrative and infrastructure issues are solved and the funding to initiate the changes is available we should not allow the open service of gays. There are to be a resolution as to what constituets a legal dependent, will the military recognize gay marriages or legal agreements with suvivor benefits? How will you house gay enlisted in garrison? Right now most military houses young soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines two to a room with a share shower and toilet and kitchen. Do you house heterosexuals with homosexuals? Start education courses for the military personnel to understand the action much as the Military took the lead in the late 60s and early 70s with race relations.

You must prepare for the change, provide the right solutions to housing, dependent, and educational challenges. The military can't be a social program, it must be enacted with deliberate and controlled actions. I guarantee that the Military will eventually (rather quickly I believe) accept anyone who is there as a volunteer to defend their country. If the openly gays enter believing themselves somehow different from everyother member they will fail and cause total disruption.

But do it right, not quickly.

May 8, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  93. Anthony

well, shane, if i have to tell you the obvious you might feel slighted, but here it goes:

when a heterosexual male looks at a another male in the shower, he looks away and thinks nothing of it. when a homosexual male catches a glance at another male, specifically a male who is soldier-fit and in good shape, if you want to argue that seeing another man's genitalia doesn't stimulate that homosexual then we might not be talking about a homosexual afterall. i go back to my previous statement – i can be an adult if a woman happened to take a shower or undress at my gym. i'm not gonna round around with aroused genitalia. but i'm certainly going to be stimulated. the very definition that makes me a heterosexual is that a naked person of the opposite gender arouses me.

right now there are gays in the military who aren't being segregated or treated differently. why do they have to now be allowed to wear a sign that announces they like people of the same sex? how would that benefit our military? what advantage would we gain on the battlefield by having openly gay people? there is none. so old, outdated morals aside, if it doesn't enhance our advantage then why change it? not everything in life needs to be PC or fair. if this policy bothers a homosexual person they have the option to simply not enlist. it's certainly not a surprise. go join Broadway or the fashion industry or anywhere else where homosexuality is unfortunately celebrated.

May 8, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  94. CocoZ28

Don't Ask, Don't Tell is a very simple policy to follow – without this policy then gays would never even be allowed to join in the first place.
    So why is it so important that you gay people feel the need to announce it to the world and tell everyone about your sexual orientation? Is it really that hard to keep that little bit of information to yourself and your close friends? Why does the whole world have to know?

As far as this Lt is concerned – he did openly break the rules and was punished for that alone. I did my time in the military and trust me, there are a lot of stupid rules (much worse that DADT). If I were to break any of those other stupid rules I would be punished as well.
    When you join the military you give up a lot of your rights and freedoms – military life is nothing like civilian life and it cant be explained if you have not lived through it .

May 8, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  95. john

Please everyone, quit saying 'don't flaunt your sexuality' We gay people don't want to flaunt anything, but we do want to be able to talk about who we are in relationships with. Some on here say "I don't flaunt my heterosexuality" but have you ever talked about your wife, or husband? If so, you did something we gays in the military can't do. We would get fired for it.

Just think about that.

May 8, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  96. HAWK USCG RET.

To be or Not to be, that is the question....true that is............ A good friend of mine and I were going to enter the Coast Guard together on the buddy system, as we got to the paper work there is an "agreement" that says "I will not engage in homosexual acts, I understand that by doing so can result in my termination in the US Coast Guard." He told the recruiter that he did not feel comfortable signing that because he is gay, and the recruiter, very angry said "get the F out of my office and don't come back!" I walked out and was later assigned another recruiter. Because of this I was entered in to the delayed entry program and had to wait 3 months before zI could go to bootcamp. My friend was willing to join, and serve but because of what he did in his bedroom, he was not allowed to even step foot in the office again. I think its crap! As a retired military man, I would not have a problem serving with gay men or anything. Homofobic men think that every gay men wants them and that if they are around them they might turn gay............guess what my best friend is gay.. I am straight.....and not every gay man wants you because you are a man! get over yourselves! Obama keep your promises to many good men and women are fired because of this! I say yes to patriotism gay or not!

May 8, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  97. Lia

Sexual orientation is not the sum of a being. This man is a good soldier. What is wrong with this country that we let extremist laws exist?

May 8, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  98. once upon a horse

people claim they want smaller goverment, especially those that lean towards the right. Then goverment needs to BUTT OUT of people's personal lives. No one should care or need to know what person's sexual orientation is if they want to serve their country. They can't have it both ways, yet they seem to want to have it their way all the time. Sad indeed.

May 8, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  99. JS

Bill – really? I really don't think those country's militaries can compare to ours.

Matt – I couldn't agree with you more – thank you for taking the time to explain it.

I, too, went to Monterey while serving in the Navy about 15 years ago. My language was Chinese, but the program was just as long and intense. This was "Clinton's Navy" at the time and the 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' policy had just been enstated.

Though I definitely don't agree with discrimination and every person has their own personal right to whatever it is they want to do behind closed doors, that policy is not accepted in the military. It's not only sexual orientation that is ridiculed. How many employers out there are allowed to 'fire' you for being fat? How about being depressed? How about falling in love with an E-4 when you're just an E-3? Many of our rights as 'civilians' are willingly given up when you sign the dotted line. Don't ask, don't tell is the policy, it's the rule in the military, Plain and simple. Is it right? That's not for me to decide. I gave up my uniform. To this day, I regret it. If you are not one who has ever given up your civilian 'rights' for the greater good, then I would recommend you go about your merry way and let the men & women of the military do their jobs.

May 8, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  100. dave

If they want homos in the military they should have there own unit or put them in with the women. The people that argue otherwise should be asked if they would want their son or daughter in the boys or girl scouts to be led by a homo. I'll bet not.

May 8, 2009 at 1:55 pm |