American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 8th, 2009

Don’t Ask Don’t Tell Continues Under Obama

President Obama pledged during his presidential campaign to end the military’s ban on gays serving openly, otherwise known as Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. The president has been in office for over a hundred days and the armed forces continue to fire gays and lesbians who violate the military’s policy on serving openly as a homosexual.

Lt. Dan Choi of the New York National Guard is an Iraq War veteran and a West Point graduate. He also happens to speak fluent Arabic. Choi received a letter of discharge from the Army for “homosexual conduct.” His firing comes after he came out in March along with 37 other West Point graduates in a group called Knights Out.

Lt. Choi joined Carol Costello on CNN’s “American Morning” Friday. He acknowledges he made the choice to publicly admit his sexuality.

“I publicly admitted who I was. I refused to lie and to hide my identity. And because of that, they said, it doesn't matter that you graduated from West Point. It doesn't matter that you're fluent in Arabic. It doesn't matter that you went to Iraq and that you want to deploy again. Pack your stuff and go home. You're fired.”

The Department of the Army's discharge letter to Choi states, "This is to inform you that sufficient basis exists to initiate action for withdrawal of Federal Recognition in the Army National Guard for moral or professional dereliction... You admitted publicly that you are a homosexual which constitutes homosexual conduct... Your actions negatively affected the good order and discipline of the New York Army National Guard."

Choi says the letter was a “big slap in the face.”

“I raised my right hand and said I want to serve. My commander in chief is going to send 21,000 troops overseas. I want to be one of those… Basically, by me saying I am gay, they're saying that that ruined the good order and discipline of the entire New York Army National Guard, which is very ridiculous. From what I've seen, my unit has been very professional. I'm very proud of my unit. They respect all soldiers for what they can do as members of their team.”

The White House has not yet commented on Choi's case, but their website’s statement on the policy currently reads: “He [President Obama] supports repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell in a sensible way that strengthens our armed forces and our national security.”

This is a change from what the website previously stated in April, which was ”President Obama agrees with former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff John Shalikashvili and other military experts that we need to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. The key test for military service should be patriotism, a sense of duty, and a willingness to serve. Discrimination should be prohibited. The U.S. government has spent millions of dollars replacing troops kicked out of the military because of their sexual orientation. Additionally, more than 300 language experts have been fired under this policy, including more than 50 who are fluent in Arabic. The President will work with military leaders to repeal the current policy and ensure it helps accomplish our national defense goals.”

Since the passage of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell in 1993, more than 12,500 men and women have been discharged from the military under the law.

Filed under: Military
  1. To evan

Evan Thomas wrote:
    How dare you treat us as second class citizens!! The last thing we will EVER do is roll over and play dead in this world. It is as much OURS as it is yours. I promise you, we will eventually have equal rights. Why? Because we are NOT GOING AWAY! More and more of us are born every day! We will NEVER give up this fight for equality. NEVER!

Eventually you WILL go away. It's simply a matter of evolution. Male and male can't breed. But male and female can.

Long live heterosexuals!!

May 8, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  2. paul

If you did not serve in the military, your comments are meaningless because you do not know what you are talking about. If you are homosexual and joined the service despite of its policy towards homosexuality, then you cannot be trusted anyway because you are obviously, by you own actions, not trustworthy. Nothing you may have to say deserves merit. And using lots of exclamation points or question marks after your 'ramblings' only makes you look childish.

May 8, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  3. Michael D. Houst

I fully support the military's ban on gays openly serving.

It's a wonderful way to get out of the draft (whenever they get around to reinstating it), or to leave the military if ordered on an unjust or illegal assignment.

Considering the fact that G.W. Bush was a disgrace to the presidency, and an international criminal, and managed to get over 3 times as many Americans killed than the terrorists of 9/11, if my sons were ever drafted I'd urge them to wear a pink skirt and plant a big wet one on the lips of the induction center officers.

May 8, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  4. Ted, Miami, FL

Mr. President; It is time for you to wake up and put an end to this stupidity!

May 8, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  5. Louise

Racy: What the hell are "real men?" Obviously, not the women who serve.
    KKKK: hope your hood is clean. Gay Rights parades are fun stuff like costumes for Hallowe'en some heteros dress outlandishly to attract attention
    retired army It seems to work in European military
    Bill: Their military isn't as good as ours? How come we keep asking for their help? Typical American arrogance.

May 8, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  6. Ryno

I can't believe all of you. The only reason you have the freedom to say these horrible things about the military is because they hold such strict guidlines that make our soldiers the best. You say its wrong to make people hide there sexual orientation, personally, I can't think of a better way to go about it. I want our servicemen and women to be fully concentrated on their task at hand (which keeps us safe and free) rather than worrying about someone of the same sex looking them up and down in the shower or bieng bunkmates with someone who is morally misguided. The bottom line is, there is a HUGE difference between military life and civilian life, if you arent or have never been in the military you have ZERO room to complain.

May 8, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  7. Bob Campbell

I think it's about time (way past the time) the military wised-up!
    Bob

May 8, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  8. Sandi

I can't believe this happened to Lt. Choi. Asa parent of a gay military member I'm so disappointed that this discrimination is still happening. We should be thankful that we have citizens who want to serve our country and protect this nation instead we are condeming them for living their lives as they choose. BTW – I felt like this long before I knew my son was gay.

May 8, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  9. Bobstradamus

Im not sure if this is possible yet or anything but when a baby is born does the doctor hold the baby and tell the parent "Here's your homosexual son/daughter"

Stop comparing gay rights to the civil rights movement or anything else until you can show the world the first scientifically proven gay baby.

May 8, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  10. Billy

Why does everyone think we care about their sexuality? We don't! Keep it to yourself! What happens in your bedroom should stay in your bedroom! Are you trying to breg because you are different, well, congrats, you are different, get over it, I don't care and most people don't care! Would it be interesting to the public that I enjoy the company of a women, NO! So why do I have to hear about your sexually exploits! I don't, and especially if you are a military officer, keep it to yourself, we don't want to hear it.

May 8, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  11. andy

you guys are all have the facts mixed.

the policy does say that fi you are openly gay then you are banned.
    that's part of the rule.
    Right or wrong..that's the rule.
    if you don't like it, don't join the Force.
    you join it , then you live by the rules.
    If the rule is wrong, write to your congress to have it changed by legistration.
    Choi openly challange and break the rule and hence he is fired.
    That's about it.
    It might be morally wrong to fire him but he give them the excuse to fire him.
    He already know before he out himself that he is going to be fired and he do it any way to be true to himself....Then he should have the same courage to take the end result and stop bitching about it when it happens.

If it's wrong, change the law.
    if no one want to change it...then vote those people out.
    don't blam the rule. blame those that impose it and had no gut to change it.
    like the Clintons.

May 8, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  12. mike

just goes to show that there is no leadership in the white house with any chewwannas....maybe all uniformed members of the armed forces should stand up together, all declare their homosexuality and watch the big wigs flip their wigs....what, discharge everyone. leadership with chewwannas, maybe someday, but Obama doesn't have any. gutless

May 8, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  13. Tiger2020

They are angry because they wanted to be in the closet with you...

May 8, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  14. militarybrat

Given his fluency in Arabic, a desperately needed skill, the National Guard should have overlooked his 'coming out.' The decision shows poor judgment, especially since there doesn't seem to be any indication that his unit was troubled with him being gay. On a personal note, mytoys, you’re just as bigoted in a different way by imposing non-universal views upon an entire group. Stereotyping everyone affiliated with the military as prejudiced is also prejudiced, because it encompasses a negative opinion on an entire group of people without evidence that everyone in that group is actually like that.

May 8, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  15. Michael Hsu

No gays in the military! Period. End of discussion.

May 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  16. Paul

I'm a veteran of 19 years and can tell you that gays in the military is not a good thing. It's a very simple reason and boils down to privacy. When I'm in the field I have to shower in an open tent with other males, I for one would not like to shower next to a gay man knowing that he's checking me out or going to go back to his tent and masturbate thinking about me. If you think there's nothing wrong with that, then why can't I shower with the females? It has nothing to do with how effectively you can do your job, it's all about privacy. This is not bigotry, just the truth.

May 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  17. Felix

Matt, how does a homosexual put our National security at risk? Are you saying that a biligual, fluent in English and Arabic, is less qualified than someone who doesn't know when to use than or then?
    Please explain.

thanks.

May 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  18. Brian

The only thing that disgrace in the White House has done right so far. This lieutenant chose to make a political statement with his announcement, and he deserves exactly what he got. Hope your happy LT because it was really a stupid thing to do. You knew the Uniform Code of Military Justice forbids it, and you did it anyway.

May 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  19. Elle

Do you think that when your in the presence with someone who is gay that there only interest is sex. If men and women are together is that all they think about is sex. Specifcally to you Luke you need to get over your sexual shortcomings, maybe you're gay and don't want to admit it., If I were with a gay person and they hit on me I would tell them I wasn't interested the same as I would a man i wasn't interested in. Right a way when you say gay you think sex, as long as I don't have to see anybody making out or having sex, I don't care who you do it with. Men are especially uptight, they think it might rub off and they'll be gay. It might be the rules of the miltary but it's a stupid one.

May 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  20. Anne

JB NYC: Have you served as editor of the Harvard Law Review, graduated from Harvard with a juris doctor, been elected Senator for the State of Illinois, addressed the Democratic National Convention, and then been elected President of the United States, leader of the free world? Who's the zero.

May 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  21. Bob

He new the consequences of his actions, yet complains when the consequences were carried out. It's like saying your companies policy is to fire anyone wearing a red shit to work, then when you wear one, and are fired, you are confused and outraged. He knew what coming out would mean... so stop feeling sorry for this guy, he knew what he was getting in to.

May 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  22. H

All of the military guys who argue that homosexuality has no place in the Armed Forces, you wanna take that point up with the IDF. Funny that it is easier to face death then to face your own cowardice and bigotry.

May 8, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  23. Steve

Truth, Injustice, The American Way

May 8, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  24. Frank

Thanks to Bill Clinton DADT is law. Clinton had the chance to issue a regulation to allow gays to serve openly in the military, but the miliitary brass said "no" and Clinton caved. Now, congress has to repeal the law. It seems that Pelosi said now is not the time to take up DADT in congress, just like gay marriage acceptance in the District of Columbia. The DC council passed the law, but congress has to approve it. It may take years to have all this happen. Obama promised to get rid of DOMA too – when will that happen?

May 8, 2009 at 2:51 pm |
  25. Luther Heggs

Here's a male soldier who's attracted to males (not that there's anything wrong with that) who announces that he is a male attracted to males.

Question: Come shower time, does he shower with the females? If not, why not?

I’m a male Army National Guard and am attracted to females, yet I’m not allowed to shower with them for a reason. If we accommodated this fellow, then I too should be accommodated.

May 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  26. Billy

Ok, I am a military officer and I like having sex with women! But does that give me the right to tell my fellow Soldiers? No, of course not, we do not do that, so why does he have the right to air out the type of sex he enjoys? He does not have the right to talki about anything reference his sex life, this is unprofessional as a military officer, heteorsexual or homosexual. How is he to take to others in his unit about sex? I don't care if he is gay or not, I do not want to hear it, and my Soldiers should not have to hear it. This is sexual harassment and his behalf. Oh, by the way, it is very interesting that he decided that he needed to "tell the truth" right before a deployment on national TV where he uses his rank, and position, which is against regulation, so where is his standards? Don't give me that line of crap that he is a hero, I have seen heros, and he is not one. I have served over 18 years and seen a lot, this man wants attention, no hero wants atttention!

May 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  27. Jeff Yablan

I'm and have always been an Obama supporter, but one must still remember that is he first and foremost a politician. Changing his statement on the White House website should be a clear wake-up call to those who regarded him as some sort of modern day messiah. Strong lobbying and pushing of this issue must continue, and now stronger than ever.

May 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  28. Tyler

The real crime here is that he just wasted all that time and money the Army spent on his training and education. He knew the terms (and the consequences if he violated those terms) when he joined, and here he is violating those terms and conditions. That slot at Westpoint could have gone to someone else... that slot at language school learning Arabic could have gone to someone else. He put himself before the country and the rest of us.

May 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  29. Curious in MS

There was a poll done recently that shows that the younger generation cares less about a person's sexuality and more about the person's job performance. I think it is time that, for this nation to move forward, to look at a person's performance as opposed to their sexuality when individuals are discharged for this reason.

May 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm |
  30. Bill

Why is it inappropriate to compare the American Military with that of every other NATO country except Turkey? Where is it written that the US can't EVER learn from other countries? Whether it is allowing gay people to serve openly, adopting salary caps on executives, instituting meaningful educational reform, or promoting fuel efficiency- why is there such hostility to learning from other, similar societis who have in many cases found better ways to do things? What's the problem, America?

May 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  31. ldb

why do so many straight people think that all gay people are always checking them out - in showers, in the locker room, wherever? and that we spend all of our time trying to get laid, and that we see everyone as a potential sex partner? that's simply not true of course, and the notion that you'd have to segregate gay soldiers from straight soldiers is simplistic and silly in the extreme... and it says more about hetero misconceptions and fears than it does about the simple facts of life. i hope the president resolves this in an honorable way, with pandering to institutionalized bigotry and ignorance. all that remains to be seen.

and i would really love to know the ages of the people who are so discriminatory and self-righteous here, because rest assured that generation is dying. it'll take a while - probably several decades – for this to be decisively resolved, but it will be resolved. remeber it hasn't bee that long ago that black and white soldiers were actually allowed to fight side by side in the american armed forces. not exactly the same battle, but certainly the struggle in both cases is against fear and ignorance.

May 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  32. John Edwards

Homosexuals should not be allowed to serve in the military. I think it should go back to this. If you keep your mouth shut and you are queer, then you can stay in. My country is falling apart at the seems and it is organizations like CNN that are leading the way! I hope that you will post this, but I know that you will not, CNN is afraid to hear the truth.

May 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  33. Chris

I am a Sgt. of the United States Marine Corps. I have served units such as 2/1 and Force Recon. I was the senior Sgt of our unit and out performed other members above and below my rank in every way possible. I have also served on the front-lines as a machine-gunner. A good deal of my buddies, brothers knew that I was gay and had no issue. Regardless of one's morals, faiths, politics or sexual orientation, none of it matters when you decide to serve your country..and serve it in the infantry. How you perform and the effectiveness in which you perform is all that matters. I fought, next to black, white, asian, latin, christians, wiccans, catholics and we all did our job and did it well.

So to every bigot out there that has not served this amazing country in the infantry or otherwise..either stand behind your troops, gay, straight and all, or stand if front of them since you hold yourself to a higher standing.

May 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  34. Roland,St George,UT

Homophobia – IRRATIONAL, DESTRUCTIVE, SELF-LOATHING PARANOIA INDUCED BY GUILT AND/OR SHAME OVER ONE'S OWN UNRESOLVED/REPRESSED HOMOSEXUAL THOUGHTS, FANTASIES, INCLINATIONS, CURIOSITY, AND/OR PRIOR ACTIONS/EXPERIENCES.

May 8, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  35. Ron

Just exactly how are we spreading freedom and democracy to the world when are prejudice ourselves. How embarassing to tell the Arab world that you must treat each other as equals and give everyone as seat at the table and then fire the very men and women that are there to deliver that message because they are different.

Shame on America for being bullies not to the world but to ourselves.

May 8, 2009 at 2:48 pm |
  36. Nick

I think everyone needs to give gay servicemembers more credit. Not every gay man is flamboyant and/or promiscuous. They can be civilized and be around other men and NOT be attracted to them or try to sleep with them. There are bad apples in every bunch, but let's try not to judge the entire group by those bad apples.

May 8, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  37. Former AF

Some of you are assuming that he knew, prior to joining, that he was gay. I don't know about you but I do know that at the ripe old age of 18, I only HAD an idea about who I was. The military teaches you how to grow up. Isn't that the whole premise of Basic training... to break you down so they can mold you to become a stronger person? To really know your limits, to allow you to find out who you really are?

I was in the AF, held a security clearance and worked in intelligence. We were one of the few career fields that offered bonuses for re-enlistment. But because I didn't know until AFTER I joined that I was a lesbian, I did not re-enlist. Why? Not because I wasn't good at my job, not because I didn't want to serve my country, but because I couldn't be honest with the people I worked with about who I was.

Sure you can say its not anyones buisness who you sleep with at night, but a majority of our lives are spent with the relationships we develope in the work area. The military becomes your home away from home, so how can you have a relationship with anyone you work with if you have to lie about who you are?

How many government officials are homosexuals? How many hold offices of great influence, like a Mayor or Governor? Do they disgrace their town or state by being who they are? No. How about a Supreme Court Justices? Was it not so long ago that having a woman serve in the military was frowned upon?

The military is supposed to set the example for the American people, but what example are they showing? That it is alright to discriminate against some one that you feel threatened by? What "High Standard" is the military showing? None. I'm sure if there ever was a draft this whole DADT policy would be out in less than a heart beat. Why? Because it would just be too easy for a coward to say they were gay, just so they wouldn't have to serve.

I got out because I am a lesbian, not because I joined as a lesbian!

May 8, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  38. Gilbert

LT Choi, isn't telling the whole story. He puts up front that he is a West Piont Graduate and has had the training on the circumstances of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. He is using it for personal gain. He should be ashame to smear this as if he didn't know what the outcome would be.

May 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  39. Carl

First of all, for all of you who have not served in the military, please find another topic to post on...you have absolutely no credibility here and certainly no right telling those in the military what's "right" or not. When you've served, you have a right to speak about it.

I'm so sick and tired of the liberals insisting on enforcing their social experiments on the military without any understanding of the implications or impact on those who are affected.

And i'm sick and tired of the gays insisting that anybody that doesn't agree with their views is obviously a bigot. Sorry...I simply disagree. When I served, I was willing to defend your right to your free speach with my life. So why is is to hard for you to even allow (forget about defending) my right to my free speach?

I'd just as soon the civilians assign the military the defense mission, allocate a budget, and then get the hell out of the way and let them do it the best way they know how. Every time the military get's micromanaged or socially engineered it's for the worse. They risk their lives for you...the least you can do is support them and get out of the way!

May 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  40. LY

I agree with "Retired Army"

May 8, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  41. Jeff

What a joke. This is the worst policy and really needs to go. It's an embarrassment that the United States can be so backwards. As for the soldiers, all the straight soldiers I know don't have a problem with gays in the military. According to them, the only soldiers that really have a problem with gay soldiers are the ones who are gay themselves and are afraid of being discovered. So eliminating this policy well finnaly let our soldiers concentrate on what really needs to be done, not be in fear of being outed. Let's finally move the US into the 21st century.

May 8, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  42. Leslie

You know, all you men claiming to be uncomfortable at the thought of being "checked out" by a man should try being a woman for a few days. Gosh, we get "checked out" by men all the time whether we want the attention or not (and, trust me, much of the time we don't). Surprisingly, we manage to survive the discomfort and life goes on.

Sexual attraction in any direction doesn't typically result in a loss of self control. Gays have been serving openly in several militaries around the world (including Israel and the UK), and, amazingly, these militaries have continued to function at a high level of proficiency.

The policy is stupid. It's time Americans learned to practice inclusion as opposed to exclusion. Divided, we are weaker.

May 8, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  43. Retired Marine Special Forces

What exactly do you mean, Retired Army, when you write "Gay lifestyle does not work in the Military"?

What exactly is the gay lifestyle? Is there a straight lifestyle? By your standards, I'd say the straight lifestyle is watching Spike TV, reading Maxim, and guzzling beer. Are all straights the same?

And unit readiness? Believe me, the threat of danger – or even death – would supersede any sexual urges of the most tempted soldier. What gay soldier would stare at another guy instead of hiking 2 clicks with combat ahead?

May 8, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  44. jeffreyjoemiller

Het men in the military are open about their affectional/sexual orientation to an extreme ( in fact many can't shut up about it). What they don't realize is that the military (all branches) is full of gay men – and always has been. I know, I was in the Army and the Air Force. and am gay. Gay men sleep in the next bunk, they are in the showers. They work side by side with het men. They are hard working, and heroic.

Only sexually insecure het men fear gay men who are as open as het men about their orientation. Het men who are secure in their sexuality have no problem being in close, dependent quarters with gay men. We know this is true because of all the militaries in the world that have no ban on gay people serving (in fact, they actively recruit them). To all you het men that don't trust your impulses around gay men...please grow up or get out of the military. If you're that insecure you can't be trusted in uniform. You are an interference to unit cohesion.

May 8, 2009 at 2:45 pm |
  45. Daniel

The service men and women are doing a great job protecting our country. Gay or straight there are there for one reason and that is do a job. The DON'T ASK DON'T TELL POLICY is reaaly absurd and not constitutional. If any service man or woman needed to save your life and you find out that service man or woman is gay, what would you say thank you or say don't save me. The President made the right decision to take off that policy for good. We are created equal in gods eye no one has the right to judge you. I am very happy he is standing his ground. LT CHOI you made a courages choice. you are a true american

May 8, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  46. john

I have read where people are commenting on the difference in numbers of the number of pro-gay and anti-gay posts on here? You should remember where it is we are posting. It is through a vocally liberal new outlet (CNN) and they are moderating comments. They can let in whatever they want.

May 8, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  47. Brandy

Aaron @ 12:21pm

"Homosexuality would be a downgrading of a higher standard of living."

I'm straight but I 100% disagree that being straight is a higher standard of living. Character and integrity are. There are way too much trashy teens getting pregnant and young punk men. Too many straight couples get married nowadays only to end up divorcing in less than a year. No one can work through anything anymore. They're lazy wastes of space. America needs 1 good dictator to just remove the trash folks from the US by any means necessary to let the rest of people live in a safe democracy.

May 8, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  48. Daniel

Wow, Listen to all the fear and anxiety based replies... as an US Air Force veteran, honorably serving in both and enlisted capacity, I was forced out of the service after a witch hunt.

Most of you 'anxious' he-men, worried about being seen and 'ogled' got to get over yourselves- don't you realize that many gay men go to the same gym you do? or bunked with you in college? Being gay has nothing to do with standards of conduct- would you automatically hit up/harass or/ and ogle a woman just because you are straight? Just because a woman has boobs doesn't mean that you are automatically want to grope her. Or are your behaviors based on having a sense of decency and adult behavior. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. Being gay and having values on how you live your life is NOT exclusive of each other. And what is a 'real' man? Is the definition based on who you have sex with- or your ability to fight for your beliefs, have integrity, be kind to others, have the strength to deal with adversity, have the strength to support and protect others. I know a lot of 'real' men who do not have the balls to face adversity with courage and strength, or who do not have the balls to accept that their point of view is not directly dictated by God. BTW, a lot of my friends who are still in the military, have no problems with other gay men or women serving along side them.... So 'man up' guys and get over your hang ups.

May 8, 2009 at 2:44 pm |
  49. survivor1

I was in the Navy for 8 yrs. and before I signed the dotted line I had to sign a piece of paper saying I was not gay. Everyone has to sign that paper, if you don't you go home. Lt. Choi made this statement..

“I publicly admitted who I was. I refused to lie and to hide my identity. And because of that, they said, it doesn’t matter that you graduated from West Point. It doesn’t matter that you’re fluent in Arabic. It doesn’t matter that you went to Iraq and that you want to deploy again. Pack your stuff and go home. You’re fired.”

I knew gay people in the Navy, they were no threat to anyone, knowone cared. I think they should be allowed in the service, but don't make an excuse that you were honest about it because you were not.

May 8, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  50. slowgun

@Sara in Chicago May 8th, 2009 1:23 pm ET

Homosexuals have ruined the Catholic Church.
    Let us not repeat this mistake by letting homosexuals
    permeate the last sound vestige of our government.

Liberals…leave the military alone

------------------------------

Homosexuals have ruined the Catholic Church?...I thought it was the blacks, or the Jews, or the Irish or the Mexicans. Thanks for keeping me updated on the latest group we are supposed to hate.

By the way Sara, Jesus loves you and shared your hatred of gays.

May 8, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  51. Bobstradamus

Wow, Im guessing most of the people responding have never served in the military. If you take away dont ask dont tell you're going to see a whole lot of abuse going on towards gays shortly afterwards. The dont ask dont tell policy is there to protect the homosexuals. You can be as gay as you want and in the military...Just keep it to yourself.

May 8, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  52. timinNC

In reply to Aaron:

"I appreciate the military for adhereing to strict moral standards. The military is 100 percent oposite of the civilian world and unless you are part of it you don’t and won’t understand that way of life. Homosexuality would be a downgrading of a higher standard of living."

Speaking as an officer in the U.S.Army you, sir, are full of crap. So is anyone else spouting the nonsense that you are.

*end of statement*

May 8, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  53. DEVILDOG73

I'd just as soon not be living in close quarters with some person sneaking peeks at me. Maybe the goverment can start a new branch of service just for these people.

May 8, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  54. JB

It's fascinating that some of the people leaving comments here assume all gays are the same ... participate wildly in gay parades, want to have sex with every man they see, etc. (I'm gay and believe me, that's not the case.)

These are simple-minded thoughts that are reviled when applied to other segments (minorities) of our society. Because someone is one thing, gay for this example, that doesn't totally define him as a human being. He is a son, an academic, a taxpayer, a voter and could be a genius, father and devoted spouse.

DADT is just another form of stereotyping that should go away into the history books. It assumes that an openly gay person in the military will cause problems. Doesn't sound like Choi posed any problems ... more like he was exactly what Uncle Sam ordered. The military should step in to punish and remove soldiers only where they have evidence of problems, such as it seems with the Steven Green case.

May 8, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  55. Michael - NC

A majority of people are uncomfortable with this issue. They are uncomfortable with homosexuality. Just because it is broadcast as mainstream does not mean it is. Homosexuals make up less than 10% of the population and some figures place it as low as 1%. You should not be willing to make the other 90-99% of the unit uncomfortable just so they can serve. Serving in the military is hard. Being away and having to do the things we are asked to do is hard. Stop seeing it as hurting them and start seeing it as hurting the people who are the majority. If you aren't personally ready for unisex bathrooms, then you aren't ready to serve with homosexuals. Sorry about what happened to him. Sorry about what happened to the others, but in the end, this isnt about them. Its about the 90%. Sorry if they dont share your values, but they are willing to fight so you can have those values. Remember, if you would be uncomfortable sitting on a toilet next to someone of the opposite sex, then you wouldnt be comfortable with a homosexual either.

May 8, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  56. Reed

You won't read this, it's too far down the page. Whether or not you choose homosexuality is besides the point. You do choose to live that lifestyle though ("how can I deny myself anything!?!"). He took an oath to live by the rules. He broke the rules. Sorry, this isn't fantasy land, you're getting booted.

May 8, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  57. Kimberly

I have served in the military and I think "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is a ridiculous policy. It is the year 2009. How about "Do Ask, Do Tell" because every one has a right to love regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Every one should have the right to live an open and honest life. And if that person decides to be a part of the United States military, so be it. That is their right as a human being.

May 8, 2009 at 2:41 pm |
  58. Ex AF

I served in the US military for nearly 10 years. I'm not gay, but I did know people I served with who were and kept it pretty much quiet except for close friends. I've never heard a single derogatory joke or insult about these people from other service members. It seems to me that the people who never served or wouldn't serve have an issue with this anyhow.

As far as the shower thing goes though, yall need to think outside the box. A simple fix is to put up tarps or dividers between shower stalls. Problem solved. A bunch of guys snapping towels and walking around naked in groups isn't necessary for unit cohesion.

And btw, there ARE gays in the military as we speak, oh no! So anyone could be checking all you paranoids out every time you shower. If you knew who was gay though in the case of it being legal, you might be able to avoid being nekkid around the more flamboyant gazers! 'Nuff said.

May 8, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  59. Hell Bent in TN

To XXXX – the crap that just spewed from your fingertips is the most stupidist thing that I have EVER heard in my life. What kind of moronic, idiotic things do you come up with? To say that gay men are "sex-crazed monsters" is absolutely absurd. It's probably safe to say that you would be safe in a room full of "sex-crazed monsters" because none of them would be after you. Grow a brain...or at the very least a half of one! IDIOT!!!

May 8, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  60. Don

Let's be clear, the issue is NOT his sexuality (directly)!!! The issue is, he knowingly and willfully disobeyed the policy!!! PERIOD!!! We all work at places that have policies, and we even have manuals outlining company policies. I applaud his college career at West Point, his ability to speak arabic, and HIS SERVICE!!!

Until DADT is no longer the policy, it WILL be enforced, and all service members know it.

May 8, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  61. Lorelei

"You are not welcome in this society." – Michael

One word...Hypocrite. You cannot voice your own opinion and degrade another for voicing their's whether you like what they say or not.

What it comes down to is the fact that this isn't fully a gay or straight issue. The issue is that he broke the oath he swore to when joining the service. Plain and simple. He knew the rules but decided that he and his other "Knights" were above reproach.

The issue is why is he being treated as special and to be felt sorry for when he "openly" broke the rules.

May 8, 2009 at 2:40 pm |
  62. Chelle

I love all the emails from supposed "veterans" who postulate on the fact that homosexuals would be disruptive and a distraction and bad for morale... well check this

A. Many of you haven't really served
    B. They said the same thing about blacks and women – guess what – The armed services survived.
    C. If 12,500 qualified people served and were discharged, most without causing any disruption, and more are still serving, obviously they are not disruptive, distracting, or bad for morale.
    D. Do you not think that the men and women that spend their days with them know full well they are gay???

May 8, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  63. Stuart L. Riley

Good, capable soldiers are getting the boot by a bunch of incompetent, homophobes that call themselves "military leaders".

This is a disservice to our country, and places American freedom, emphasis on the word ,"freedom", in jeopardy.

Anyone in the military who believes this is a dumb policy (and it IS), show your support by telling your commander that you too are gay.

Just how many soldiers are they willing to part with before they realize it's a stupid policy?

One more thing, if they ever did bring back the draft, it would be easy to dodge. Just say you are gay!

Think about it. Stupid is as stupid does!

May 8, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  64. Chris M

This problem is very similiar to women serving in combat arms. The problem doesn't lay with the women serving but the men, the status quo serving around them. From my own military experience and deployments I can confidently say that LT Choi may be a great leader but his open homosexuality would affect his ability to lead certain types of soldiers. While some can respect his choice, the ones that can't would casue problmes and diminish his capacity to lead. The military community just isn't ready to accept that change yet.

May 8, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  65. Airliftrr

Homosecuality, in fact sexuality, has no place in our military. 30 + years of service tell me we must leave that home when we pack for war. It has no place in the office, in the cockpit on the bridge or in the foxhole or any professional setting we employ to conduct our business. Being professional never includes sexual conduct or misconduct. That this Lt felt he had to disclose this indicates he cannot keep the behavior to himself in while serving his profession. See ya.

May 8, 2009 at 2:37 pm |
  66. Chris

Sounds to me like someone decided that using his sexuality to get out of the military for a better paying job! I highly doubt that he did it for the advancement of the Gay Community

May 8, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  67. Lesbian Veteran

The anti-gay comments here make me embarrassed to be a US citizen. Disgusted, in fact. How did a country with so much promise end up lagging so far behind other developed nations? BTW, don't bother to post something telling me to leave. I have.

Signed,

Lesbian Veteran, 1978-2000

May 8, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  68. Mike

Okay, besides all the talk about "don't ask don't tell" being repealed- which I totally agree, it's disgusting, insulting and archaic, and needs to end.
    Let's focus on Lt. Choi's actual case for a moment. Lt. Choi was discharged for homosexual conduct, and "conduct" is defined as, "the act, manner, or process of carrying on; a mode or standard of personal behavior; or to act or behave in a particular manner." From what I understand, he and the other Knights Out members did not specifically admit to any actions or behavior whatsoever. On the contrary, they acnowledged only their thoughts upon the subject of their own sexuality, and nothing else. Seems like, if we were to remove the context in which Choi was fired, there should be serious issues raised regarding the validity of the discharge based upon the facts at hand.
    And what is more, Choi and his comrades actually exhibited the exact behavior we as a nation claim to want and admire most in our country's leaders; they told the truth.
    America, I ask you: are we that lost? Have we come totally unmoored from the basic principles that our country was founded upon?
    This entire issue is a shame on our great nation and must end once and for all.

May 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  69. Todd

BTW folks, do you know that male and female service members occupy the same living spaces in Iraq?

Get the facts before developing arguments to support bigotry. Your ignorance does not strengthen your arguments.

May 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  70. Jeff

While I agree the policy should be repealed, this man is a bit of a hypocrite as he said he did not want to lie about who he was.....and how many years did he "lie" about his sex orientation? Why now? why not earlier on, why wait 8+ years of lying about it....did he just have an epiphany about be honest in all his dealings??? Not much credibility here, vet or not.

May 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  71. David

There are certain jobs in the military that require grown men to share very close-quarters and intimate experiences - as intimate as sharing a sleeping bag to stay warm in the mountains of Afghanistan. You simply cannot put the OTHER 95% of patriotic, self-sacrificing young men in situations that would require doing this with a homosexual. It would be embarassing, discomforting, and perhaps even traumatizing, to young men that already have to deal with the multitude of physical and emotional hardships encountered on the battlefield. I suggest that anybody who criticizes the military serve in it first - and not in a soft-skill such as linguist but in a combat-arms skill such infantry.

By the way, I fully support gays and gay marriage, and attended my very own sister's lesbian wedding recently. So don't even attempt that angle.

May 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm |
  72. Mel

This is absolutely ridiculous. As the wife of a retired Army sergeant, I am appalled at the thought the this young man and others like him can be "fired" from something that they volunteered to do. My husband was a detective with the Military Police, and investigated real crimes committed by soldiers who were straight and did horrible things to their wives, children or fellow soldiers. I don't care about the gender of the person Daniel Choi sleeps with...I care about his patriotism, his honesty, and his willingness to lay down his life for me and for my family. Nobody cares what the "straight" soldier does in his bedroom...why should we care what Lt. Choi is doing in his!!!

May 8, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  73. Former Airman

In 1979 at the age of 18 yrs old I joined the Air Force. I was proud to serve my country. I worked hard, never gave a bit of trouble to anyone. But it was my mistake that over a few drinks with a trusted fellow airmen and and I thought was my friend that I disclosed that I was gay. What followed was that this "friend" told my secret to our commanding officers. Before long I too was fired, but not before my First Sargent had me in his office telling me his disgust of my sexual orientation. To be humiliated and felt as if I betrayed my country. If people don't think that there are bigots in the military I have a big wake up call for you. My First Sargent was infamous for "Homo Hunting" as he would call it. I see what was almost 30 yrs ago still hasn't changed. More the pity. We, gays and lesbians just want to serve proudly and with honor and be treated with the same respect any other service man or woman would receive.

May 8, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  74. Chris

Wasn't Alexander the Great accompanied on his conquest of the entire known world with a male lover? What a woos!

May 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  75. Ret Army 1SG

The bottom line is he isn't being released because he is gay. He is being released because he is in violation of the Don't ask, Don't tell policy. If he would have said anything he would be deploying with his unit. He viloated his contract with the military and is being dismissed for the contract violation.

May 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  76. Jeremy

Jack,

The housing issue is a non issue. Do colleges, high school locker rooms, gyms... have separate showers for gays and straights. No.

I went to the Naval Academy and men and women we're in dorm rooms across the halls from one another. There was a lot of sexual misconduct (recent scandals at the AF academy also point to this). My point is 18 – 25 year old Heterosexual males are much more predatorial and yet this is subtly encouraged by the cultural of the military. Changing this cultural is much more worthy of our time and consideration than keeping a small minority out.

May 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  77. Todd

As a gay man I laugh and am saddened by a lot of these comments. There is no more a gay agenda than there is a straight agenda, a black agrenda, a hispanic agenda, etc etc etc. People are people and all deserve the same rights and respect. I tought that was the reason we are off fighting several wars.

Sure we are all different but that's what made this country great. I know the small minds of many people will never change and they will alwyas find a good "reason" to hate certain groups or types of people and try to instill your fear and ignorance in others but I am also hopeful that we are evolvoing as a country and that thinking is slowly (ever so slowly) fading away. Gay men in the military are no more a threat to straight men than straight men are to the women who serve in the military. Sure, there will be a few problems and bad apples, but those should be dealt with quickly and harshly.

The policy will change, when is hard to say, but it will change and all of the crazy fears will vanish into nothing.

May 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  78. thinker

I served in the military. In korea every tues the hookers would come through the back gate to get their VD checks. The married males would be hitting on the female soldiers all the time. That is a distraction to the soldiers. The army encourages whore behavior in its male soldiers. The male soldiers are so busy trying to get laid they wouldn't do their jobs. I have served with many gay soldiers and they served with distinction. If you don't want to serve with gay soldiers, get out of the military, because gay soldiers have been serving since the first armys were created. For retired army, you should give up your pension. You swore to uphold the constitution, and you are betraying the concept that all are equal. You are a disgrace.

May 8, 2009 at 2:33 pm |
  79. Michael

What'sWrongWithThisPicture – Saying that the military is booting Choi for being gay and keeping Green in even though he murdered and raped shows how little you really know. Green is also being given the boot – discharged, sent to prison, and then getting a needle in the arm for his crimes. The military does not support his actions because he isn't gay. Both people here didn't follow the rules they signed up for and both are paying the price.

Right or wrong in terms of policy, DADT is there and it is to be followed. Don't like it, ask Congress to change it, but if you are in the Military, do not protest it in public – there are rules against that as well.

Also mentioned was Rosa Parks and her civil disobedience. The difference here is that she was a civilian had the right to protest, Choi was Military and did not have that right. Folks in the Military have signed that right away along with many others so that they can defend your rights. They know it and by signing, agree to it.

May 8, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  80. Storytime

Let the gays announce to world they're gay. No ONE CARES where you put your privates. Why do you feel the need to tell everyone.

Put the gays in with the females. THAT would be a big deterent in how many gays joined the military. Of course then you would have straight men saying they're gay to bunk with the women.

If you're gay and want to be in the military keep your junk in your pants until you have finished your tour.

May 8, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  81. barbara

America still has a lot to grow up about....Our military is there to fight for freedom of our rights -speech, religion, to bear arms, etc, but not a person's right to be who he or she is – let's grow up. A soldier who is as qualified as this soldier being told to go home-......this is not right that this brave soldier can't be in the military-he is qualified, but he is out only because of his sexual orientation-how stupid is this--just as stupid as another soldier I know who is being discharged for adultery--how many soldiers of all ranks have committed adultery but they are still in the Army-this E-4 is being discharge-but it is not taken into consideration that he and his wife were separated.....The military needs to get with the year 2000 and not 1800. Let's not lose our talented soldiers to outdated stereotypes or ideas. I am proud of you, LT CHOI.

May 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  82. Marcus

Before he joined he signed that he read and understood that he could not say he was or perform homsexual acts. Patriot or not, he went back on his word. That in and of itself makes him unworthy to wear the uniform. I currently serve now. I could have cared less if he was or wasn't gay. There are many ( I'm sure) that keep there mouths shut and serve with dignity and honor for 4 years or more. I would have respected him more had he served a few years and left honorably to go and be gay. Again I say, It has nothing to do with being gay. It has everything to do with the fact that he went back on his word.

As far as my view on the "don't ask don't tell" policy, I don't agree with it. But when I work for someone, I abide by thier rules or I get fired. The Army has moral laws such as Adultery and lying, and we do prosecute. You have to abide by them to keep your job.

May 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  83. Kin

The World is SCREWED UP period !!!!!!!! If he wants to die, then put his ass in the middle of the fire fight. It was not accepted in any other war (sanctioned or not). This hate won't work, but ANY SIN will not work either. I propose that we have a Gay Squad and that will cut out all the noise. Give them a badge that says 'Happy to fight for America'.

May 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  84. Army Medic

All of you who serve and think gays shouldn't be allowed in the military disgust me. I was a a medic in Iraq and I am gay. I never once looked at a fellow soldier as anything more than a brother. It makes me wonder how many homophobes i scraped up off Iraqi streets. Maybe next time instead of accepting help from a fellow soldier you should just lay there and bleed to death. Since its don't ask don't tell, you really have no idea the orientation of anyone you are serving with.

May 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  85. Gary

I think that people should be keeping their private life private. As a service member I feel that it was a good thing for Lt. Choi to get the boot. If your gay then great more power to you, but I'm not so shut your mouth, I don't run around having parade's telling people how proud I am that I love women, I don't and quite frankly homosexual's bring alot of the criticism upon them selves and I don't feel bad for you. Have some respect for other people and some might have some towards you.

May 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  86. Juan G

If a homosexual cured cancer and your child was dying would you use the cure?
    If it all came down to another 9-11 and a giving homosexual the weapons to protect our freedom I think its clear... give them the gun, the ammo and everything else including a marriage certificate to stop another nightmare. .

May 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  87. Jose

With the economy the way it is they can easily replace anyone who wants to come out of the "closet" If he doesn't want to keep quiet i am sure there are thousands that are willing and will be willing to take his place

May 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  88. DDF

Why join the military. They are nothing but government sanctioned TERRORISTS and MURDERERS.

May 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  89. Failure

I would rather gay men be allowed to serve our country, and all the bigots and cowards that complain about taking showers that other men be pushed out of the military.

The American military is supposed to be an elite and dedicated fighting force that embodies American ideas. People that are full of hate and aren't committed to promoting equality and justice for all shouldn't be allowed near automatic weapons, cannons, grenades and bombs.

To all of you that say other people serving in the military would disrupt your conduct if you were gay, I say get out. The military is not an all boys club, and it is not some kind of special place for you. It is a tool for the will of the people. That is how it works in a democratic nation. A military that tries to impose it's will inspite of the civilian population is the core of tyranny.

Go take your fears and backward ideas and serve in some other country's military, places like Saudi Arabia, and the Vatican. There the people will accept your bigotry.

I do not pay taxes so you can go into other countries, shoot up people and abuse your position to oppress others. Freedom of sexuality and religion is what we are fighting for. You bigots people are just as bad as the Taliban and Al-Qaida. I do not want you running my country just as much as I don't want them.

Quite frankly, if the military was stripped to half of it's troop count, and half it's effectiveness, and we loss the war in the Middle East, and we suffered more terrorist attacks, I would be happy if it meant we as a people could live in freedom from the fear that OUR OWN GOVERNMENT would turn against us. Better the enemy from without then from within.

May 8, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  90. LB

Lt Choi knew the rules when he attended West Point and joined the New York Guard. Obviously, he has his own agenda and motivations for coming out and acting shocked when the known rules were enforced is a farce. I'm betting he was just waiting for the chance to get out of his service commitment after receiving a first class education under the policies he volunteered to uphold.

May 8, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  91. chuck

Hey "Active Duty", how many military women have been harassed, "checked out", cooed at by heterosexual "goons" who you so ignorantly state consist of 98% of the population? Maybe its about time 'yall had to endure some of what you have dished out since the beginning of time.

May 8, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  92. Lois

I do not believe that anyone should be fired for being gay, a minority or anything else. People should only be fired for incompetence. Having said that, so you are gay? Big deal. I don't go around proclaiming I am heterosexual. I had a cooworker "come out" to me years ago, I told him,"ok, and?" He just laughed. I just don't get it why it is so necessary to make a press announcement/big deal about one's sexual orientation. You are what you are.

May 8, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  93. Jesse

The comments on this article add to the shame I feel as an American. So far off the charts of common sense and rational thinking. Uncivilized, narrow minded, insecure people that have never known what it means to be a human being. Thankfully, these bigoted old ignorant fools will die off and a new human race will replace them.
    To Retired Army; "I don’t expect someone who has never served in the Army to understand what I am talking about." – It is you that does not understand what you are talking about. "Unit readiness"? How ready is a unit that does not speak the language of the region it is in? "Gay lifestyle does not work in the Military." What "lifestyle" would that be? Do they decorate the barracks and serve quiche for breakfast? You are an idiot.

May 8, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  94. Steve

As a retired Veteran I can tell you that Don't ask don't tell is the most fair system going. Open sexuality of any kind results in problems. It causes divorce court marshals and lowers morale. If you give openings to special interests the Military is done. You would have to make exceptions to people who do not want to fight and would have to make arrangements for those who can't fight on the weekend because of their religeon. This person signed on knowing what would happen if he outed himself. He is lucky he was not charged with false enlistment.

May 8, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  95. Goodforthem

Gays are free to choose whatever lifestyle they want. That includes choosing not to serve in the military. don't volunteer to serve and then demand that the service adhere to your code of conduct. It works the other way around. If you're gay, don't like the military viewpoint, then don't volunteer to serve. Very simple.

May 8, 2009 at 2:28 pm |
  96. will

To everyone that is on a rampage about this.

1. Clinton signed Don't ask Don't tell into law.
    2. The military does not have a choice in the matter when someone publicly announces, like Mr. Choi choose to do.
    3. Mr. Choi knew the consequences of his actions before he choose to announce his sexuality to the world. When we are filling out the paperwork to become part of the armed forces. One of the forms is the don't ask don't tell policy which tells us, it is illegal for them to ask us our sexuality, and we can't tell them ours. It's pretty simple. If you're motivated to go to war, you want to help your country, and you want to be an asset, keep your sexuality to yourself. It doesn't matter in a war zone anyway. I don't parade around on TV telling everyone I'm straight. It doesn't matter in a military atmosphere and gay or straight you shouldn't parade around with it period. Sexuality has no part in war, and shame on him for making it an issue like this.

May 8, 2009 at 2:27 pm |
  97. Officer1

If your gay stay out of the armed services!!! I don't want any man staring at me in the shower even if he's straight. Can't we have ANY privacy at all? Sure a gay might have my back at war but that's the only time I care to have him behind me!

Gay people STOP announcing to the world you're gay!!! We don't care what you're doing in your bed or with who. I don't announce how straight I am??!!

May 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  98. Gene in Philadelphia

HAHAHAHA... stupid just plain stupid

Think about it. If you want out of the military and to go home just say you are gay. That's it. Pack your bags and go home. To hell with serving your duty. This makes an easy out for those who have no fear in lying about their sexuality. Everyone should say they're gay and come home.

May 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  99. JimmieR

First, I'm a retired veteran of over 26 years in the military and am a firm believer in the DADT policy. Whether you choose to believe it or not openly gay Soldiers serving in combat operation (meaning real war-fighting) would be a distractor. Too many doubt's...too many questions going through the Soldiers mind when bullets are flying.

May 8, 2009 at 2:26 pm |