American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 11th, 2009

We Listen!

On Monday, American Morning viewers responded strongly against former Vice President Cheney’s continued appearances on talk shows, calling him “irrelevant.” Both Democrats and Republicans believed him to be disingenuous on multiple fronts.

• Sheri: Stop asking Dick Cheney his opinion about ANYTHING!!!! He was almost invisible for 8 years and his negativity is not needed – then or now! I'm tired of turning my TV on in the morning and seeing him complaining about what the Obama administration is doing and how it should be run his way. We voted them out of office – stop parading them around spouting their lame opinions. It only causes turmoil.
  • Jim G: For those interviewing Cheney-who is flaunting the miserably failed past 8 years-what his take is on the Iraqi journalist (an obviously real journalist)-who threw his shoe at Bush? That is, does Cheney think he owes an enormous apology to the American people-and why is he not being confronted on this? Throwing Cheney soft balls so he can attack Obama is ludicrous, particularly given the enormous challenges Obama faces-because of Cheney/Bush!
  • Jay: I have never believed what Mr. Cheney says on its face value. His intentions are never reflected in his words. I suspect his attacks Powell is because he cannot control Powell. Are all Republicans supposed to blindly agree with Cheney and Rush? Can there be no second opinion?
  • Paula: Were I Mr. Colin Powell, I'd deem it a supreme compliment to be "backhanded" by the likes of Cheney! He didn't have 3 words to say, over the past 8 years, and now is as difficult to neutralize as the AIDS virus, now! He is a dark, divisive, and pathetic creature...irrelevant, boring, and lacking in any constructive elements. As in the old vaudeville "stinkers"...someone should "hook" him, around the neck, and drag him off the "national stage"! He is negative message is counter-productive, and his snide "asides" are enervating to the pathetic condition of this severely-crippled nation...
  • Jim M: Typical CNN... only put out partial information, just want you want people to hear. The bigger story was how Dick Cheney is sounding the alarm of Obama making us less safe by removing safeguards that have kept us from being hit for the last eight years. This is why anyone who wants honest, fair information must go to FOX NEWS.

What do you think about former Vice President Cheney’s public appearances recently? Is he, as one viewer states, “irrelevant,” or are we only getting “partial information”? Do you believe he is representative of the Republican Party or has the party moved in a new direction?

Credit card users expressed increased anger at their perceived mistreatment by banks and card companies.

• Virginia: I'm sure many credit card holders will choose to default in response to the unconscionable actions of institutions like Bank of America. When a long term record of on-time payments, no late fees, good FICO - all the things that say "good customer" -brings notice that your APR of under 10% has been raised arbitrarily to over 20% with monthly payments doubling, it seems appropriate to say "NO MORE". B of A took tax dollars as a bail-out, then kicked tax payers in the teeth. Rates are now at usury levels and they should be shut down. Bail-out money is the last money they will get from me - I'm looking for a class action against them to join.
  • Jim: I pay my credit cards on time and usually pay them off by the next billing cycle. Citibank however, raised my interest rate from 11% to 28.99% for no reason, when I confronted them about this, they admitted that I have never been late with a payment and that my account is in good standing, but would go no further in explaining why they jacked my interest rate. My Citibank card is paid in full, now it just sits in my wallet, at that interest rate, I will not use it.

Have you been a victim of the recent credit card changes? How has this affected the way you use your cards, pay your bills, or even survive day-to-day? Do you believe there should be a “class action” lawsuit against the banks and card companies, ad the first viewer suggests? Are you more like the second viewer who paid off all cards, but now refuses to use them?

Filed under: We Listen
  1. thea chang

dear DOD,
    how long will it take for the USA, with "liberty and justice for all" to wake
    up to the reality, that liberty and justice for "ALL" does indeed mean
    for "ALL", irregardless, of creed, race, orientation, etc. This indeed,
    is shamefull when a talented young man, has pledged to put his life
    on the line, for his nation. I cannot understand why we are still in the
    stone age on this subject, especially when we are making much
    greater strides in civilian life. Our nation has an abyssmal record
    on this subject, from slavery, to genocide, and other atrocities.
    The time is far overdue for us to step up to the plate, and put such
    predjuces and bigotry behind us, once and for all, and live up to the
    ideals of our "founding father" and truly regard all persons who
    wish to serve their country as "equal" in all respects. This is a call
    to acknowledge, that all who should be applauded for dedicaded
    to answer the call of "service" to be fully welcome to the ranks, in an
    honorable way. It is indeed now the 21st century, and we must put
    such childish and inappropiate notions aside, once & for all.
    Many other nations have done so; must we always be one of the
    last to do so, kicking and screaming all the way, beholden to a small
    but fanatical group, trying to keep us a "great nation" as one of the
    last to do the right thing. this is indeed a shamefull thing and needs
    to be rectified immediatly.
    with all due respect,
    Ms. Thea Chang

May 13, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  2. Margaret

Please send Mr. Chaney, back to his cave, to hybridnate for yet another 8 years!! Perhaps, when he appears again, he'll have a better grasp on reality!!!

May 13, 2009 at 7:41 am |
  3. Bernice

agenda!! typo!! lol

May 13, 2009 at 6:04 am |
  4. Bernice

I think that Cheney has every right to voice his opinions about the issues in America, for I think that our country is in much more danger than we are being informed! I think that Cheney finally reached the age of retirement, but he has such fear for the safety of our country and the new administrations lack of restraint on thier spending problem which will cost us, the American people DEARLY!! He is very outraged and is voicing his MUCH NEEDED opinion to enrage the public to WAKE UP! I feel that he is right on the number when it comes to the safety...or lack of, as we now have the new administration. My goodness.... terrorists in south Mexico heading our way? I AGREE WITH CHENEY! We need to protect the borders, the people, and our military!(which we obviously have passed over for years) My goodness!! We gave the "other side" the details of what our military had done to prisoners, then appologized! We then "slightly" appologized for the Afgan war... people die in the crossfire!! But, we allowed our men an women to take the BLAME! Our country is in grave danger! Please don't ever think that we are much too powerful to be taken over by another country... or people! Many great kingdoms have fallen due to the lack of protection done for thier country and will continue to fall till the end of time. Cheney just does not wish this for OURS! Somewhere you have to hold some form of respect in that!! Wake up people! We are not safe! Anyone who feels that they are ...well ..they are simply living life in a bubble!! Our country has just became a "comedy act". I just don't see the humor!! He has fear, as do I....as should all of you! This democratic administration is possibly the worst that I have witnessed in my lifetime and will be changing my party before the next election and i would HIGHLY advise all to do the same! Safety for our people and way of life should always be on the "TOP" of any administrations adgenda!

May 13, 2009 at 6:01 am |
  5. Sunflower103

I agree with former VP. If obama is going to investigate waterboarding he should show the results of it. Release the documents.!!!!!!!

May 12, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  6. Bob Bechtel

NO you do not listen Chene maybe wrong for the Republican party but he is right about MR. Obama and the Demicates . They wreck this country

May 12, 2009 at 7:32 am |
  7. Bob Bechtel

No he does not represent the republican party . But he is right we are not as safe as we were. And it will show that he was right.And it was wrong to bail out wallstreet it was wrong then and it is wrong now.small businesses lose and big businesses win at tax payers exspence. they steal from us . MR. Obama wants to put new laws in place to deal with anti trust We had laws to stop them but never inforced them these big companies need to be broken up to save this economy to get better but you will never say this or put this on the air

May 12, 2009 at 7:28 am |
  8. Nephesh Amarcusa

Former Vice President cheney's is irrelevant however, his "Opinions" as he knows still has influence over faithful blind followers. We should be listening for and thinking about why he is making so many public appearances. When he was incognito V.P. only by name during his eight years with g.w. bush, cheney appeared then has much has Big Foot does. It is easy to see that he has a purpose for his sudden love of the camera. Could it be that he is hiding another agenda behind this media coverage or a strategy to distract & sway the court of public opinion ? Former V.P cheney does represent the republican party but, he represents the part that does not want to move in a new direction. He like most tea baggers & ditto-heads do not want a common consiousnous in America. e.g Rejecting bipartinship by becoming "The Party Of NO", attacking their own for having a different views. The previous administration spent big, failed to deal with wall street and were the first to bail them out but, has the "Medicine Balls" to say that now it is the wrong thing to do. Well, controversy does sells even if its a bunch of bull, I just wonder how many buying it.

May 12, 2009 at 1:40 am |
  9. hal

alexander the great composed his entire personal guard of gay men. he considered them the purist of loyalty, noone could blackmail them of their loyalty, gay men can be fierce warriors, as history has attest, why do we prejudice against them?

May 12, 2009 at 12:18 am |
  10. LISSA

JIM, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING. BECAUSE OF BUSH AND CHENEY PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO KILL US.I DONT AGREE WITH EVERYTHING OBAMA HAS DONE BUT STOP TRYING TO MAKE THE ARGUMENT THAT CHENEY CARES ABOU THIS COUNTRY. HE DODGED THE DRAFT 3 TIMES READ YOUR HISTORY BEFORE YOU TAKE UP FOR SOMEONE. COLIN POWELL FOR PRESIDENT. A REAL HERO.

May 11, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  11. Joe

Jim M... I feel sorry for you. To be one of so many gullible people in this country who so easily had their own ignorance used against them with fear-based propoganda for so many years. It must be difficult to suddenly be forced to see the world through your own eyes and through your own observations instead of having everything fed to you by a power-hungry political party. You have been used by the Bush administration so they could further their own agenda. And yet, you still stand behind them and support their ill-fated approach to running this country for the basic reason that you have lost ability to think on your own. Can anyone say Stockholm syndrome?

May 11, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  12. Diana

to Jim M.....Fox News, you must be kidding, talk about one sided.

May 11, 2009 at 10:03 pm |