American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 26th, 2009

Cyber bully victim and her mom speak to American Morning

When I first read about this story over the weekend, it sure sounded like a case of childhood bullying taken to a new extreme. I had to know more, so I asked our producers to call on the story. They booked Piper Smith and her mom Beth for our show.

I spoke earlier today with Piper Smith and her mom Beth about a video posted on YouTube titled "6 ways to kill Piper" made by some 11 and 12-year-old girls in Piper's class. Like any parent would be, Beth is outraged and claims the school district and the local sheriff and even the girls' parents aren't taking this seriously. Piper told us she is intimidated and so shaken up by the whole thing that she doesn't feel comfortable in her classes anymore. Here's a clip:

You can hear all of what they had to say and how the school district and sheriff's department responded tomorrow on CNN's "American Morning" 6-9am ET.

As always we'd like to hear your thoughts. Talk to us on Twitter @amFIX and @kiranchetrycnn

Kiran

Filed under: Controversy
  1. TGriffiths

And where are the parents of the students doing this? I'm sorry, if my daughter (who IS 11) made a website like this, I'd be making SURE she knew the repercussions, and that something was done to teach her that at her school. Children need to learn accountability for their actions. Why do you think that 16 year olds are being executed by gang members for selling pot around town? B/c they learn young that nothing is a big deal, that they are invincible, and that their parent's will always bail them out.

Get a grip on your children people, be involved, know what they are doing, monitor their computer usage, and BE A PARENT.

To the parents of the bullying girls, step up and speak out. Have your girls speak out, and teach others this is unacceptable!

May 27, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  2. TGriffiths

Krista Carlson, Bethel School District, that is a cop out of a response to this.
    The administration of the school has a responsibility to make sure their students are safe. A child being threatened with death, is not making her feel safe. They are discussing ways to KILL HER. One being shoot her. How dare you pawn this off on the sheriff. Do your job, and direct your administration at this school to step up, and get these girls into school counseling, and have repercussions IN the school.

It sounds like you are just not wanting to get your hands dirty, and actually handle this at all. Maybe it's time for you to look for another profession, if you can't take the one you have seriously.

May 27, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  3. Rebecca Lowe

I think these girls who are doing the bullying should be expelled because they are a threat to the other school kids. Thankfully, unlike other girls who have been cyber-bullied, Piper did not commit suicide or attempt it, the point of this is that suicide is a great possibility for children who are so threatened that they feel they have no other way out.
    Also why is the school board not taking action to also punish the parents for letting their kids getting away with this?

May 27, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  4. Jill Bonn

I started my morning by watching this story and my heart stopped. This happened to my daughter in eight grade at T/E middle school in Pa.
    Two sad and jealous girls, started a "I HATE EMILY" web site. I called the parents 3 times to take it down and I should have just gone to the police. Two days later, the gang of girls got larger and they decided to see how many people they could write on their hands as the "I hate Emily club". Emily came home scared, these were her friends. We had Emily go see her guidance counselor, who was more afraid of the girls and their parents, then of taking care of Emily. He didn't even tell the Principle, I did when this mob was getting even more out of control, days later. Kids put their nose snot on her locker, wrote her notes about her telling her parents, and they yelled at her in the hallways.
    Emily hid. She didn't go to lunch, out to play, to birthday parties, or any end of the year school events because we were not sure that she would be safe and the school had the "wait and see" if they do anything else to her!
    Forget "No child left behind". If your daughter does not feel safe DO NOT SEND HER TO SCHOOL. Believe what she tells you. Watch her to make sure that she does not take her own life.
    Emily's life was turned up side down by these girls, their uncaring parents, a lazy guidance person, and by her parents who at first could not believe that this was happening.
    But she came through. She is in tenth grade now. An honor student, on JV sports teams, tall, beautiful and full of the ability to forgive.
    She is changed, we are changed and I hope that the little girl and her mother gets help.
    DO NOT STOP IN MAKING PEOPLE AWARE THAT THIS VERY DAMAGING TO EVERYONE.
    I am very proud of the mother for speaking up!

May 27, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  5. Norioto

The gov, are need your help, for invest in the markets, and create the jobs for the grads, invest for the P.T.S.D.,for theirs needs personal, and theirs treatment special. Invest for T.A.P.S. theirs needs ,It's importent. Invest in the manufacturing. jobs for workers, invest for men and women in inuform, for theirs families,invest in energy new, It's not socialist, invest,for create the jobs for the people.invest for our veterans.

May 26, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  6. kim

I hear it can't be prosecuted because the kids are 11 and Washington state law prohibits it. I am curious if this is true....

May 26, 2009 at 9:26 pm |
  7. Krista Carlson, Bethel School District

The students who created this video have been appropriately disciplined. Since this video was not created at school, the incident was reported to the sheriff's office for their review.

May 26, 2009 at 3:25 pm |
  8. Evelyn

Wondering if any action has been taken against the cyber bully and her cohorts, if any.

May 26, 2009 at 1:24 pm |