American Morning’s Friday viewers remained focused on the pending confirmation hearings of Judge Sotomayor, as many expressed appreciation for AM’s in-depth coverage; others were frustrated that the “racism” comment attributed to Sotomayor was presented out of context.
- Bruce: Regarding Pres. Obama's supreme court nominee...I thought we had a process in place. First, the nomination then the Senate confirmation hearings. When did this process become so inflammatory? Why do we need commentary from the pundits, when the Senators will ask all the necessary questions and will then vote on her? Unfortunately, this process has become so partisan because the opposing party wants to tarnish the nominee. Who wants to go through that? This process should be dignified not a Jerry Springer episode. This is exactly why so many people are turned off by politics!
- Akua: Thank you for the interview about Judge Sotomayor it was insightful. However I will like to state with regards to the statement highlighted why is your show and other programs on CNN not stating she gave that speech at a diversity in the courts conference/seminar. When the statement is read without the correct context the information given to us is inaccurate. I love your show thank you for the good work. Cheers
- Ginspelts: The thing that worries me the most about Sotomayor is the video I saw where she is laughing and carrying on about "Judges are in the business of making policies. Oh I know I shouldn't say that. We are being filmed on camera, but hey we all know it is true." Judges do not make policies or the law. Judges are only suppose to interpret the law. As a American citizen these comments concern me greatly. I would like to know exactly what she meant when she made the comments. It is the job of congress to ask some very tough questions before making her one of the highest judges in the Supreme Court of the United States in America.
Has the American public been too quick to judge Sotomayor? What questions would you like to hear the Senate Confirmation Committee present to Judge Sotomayor?
Carol Costello’s piece on “Activist Judges” elicited some angry commentary.
- Ed: I just saw your piece on "activist judges". A little one sided wasn't it? You quoted all Republicans. Could you not find any Democrat who used the phrase "Activist Judges"? This is the example of just what is wrong with "news" media.
- Sylvia: So, according to CNN this morning the term “activist judges” is considered “name calling”? NAME CALLING? !!! This is the height of irresponsible journalism and bluntly propagandist. Now, according to CNN's Carol Costello freedom of expression and expressing one's point of view in generally accepted, clean English words should be stopped and be frowned upon????!!!!! Only because it is conservatives that are using these very decent words to say what they think? So where was CNN when Perez Hilton called Miss CA a “ dumb b%$#h”?,
- Gianine Garofalo called millions of Americans demonstrating against government spending “rednecks” ? and the list goes on and on. Quite to the contrary it is the American people that are sick and tired of self appointed, ACTIVIST JURNALISTS in the media trying to shove their political views and stupid pseudo intellectual stances on everyone else! You want to ignore what those of us on this side of the TV screen actually think and want. THAT IS WHY FEWER PEOPLE ARE WATCHING YOUR NETWORK PROGRAMMING….Lou Dobbs is the only actual journalist you have on the air these days and will continue to be the only one people will continue to watch at CNN.
What do you think about the term “activist judges”? Does it connote a negative image to you? Tell us what you think here or go to Carol Costello’s blog.