American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 16th, 2009

Father fights for son’s return on 5th anniversary

The case has made international headlines – a father's desperate quest to get his son back. It's been exactly five years since David Goldman's wife, Bruna Bianchi Carneiro Ribeiro, took their then 4-year-old son to Brazil and never came back.

Since then, he's been fighting to be reunited with his little boy, Sean. And just when he thought it was over, another setback. Goldman joined Kiran Chetry on CNN’s “American Morning” Tuesday to talk about the case.

Kiran Chetry: Today you're marking an unwelcome anniversary. It's been five years since you had your son Sean with you. It looked like things were turning in your favor. The high court ruled they were going to honor the Hague Convention on International Abductions. Most of those in the court said your son should come back to you. So what's the delay right now?

David Goldman: Well, what was filed in front of the [Brazilian] Supreme Court was, in fact, if the Brazilian judicial system was going to honor the Hague Convention. If their government was still going to be a party to the Hague Convention where they receive children back under the Hague from America, as well. And they decided yes, we are going to honor the Hague Convention, we will return children. This particular case, a couple of them pointed out that Sean has been here way too long and this needs to be resolved.

And then they punted it back to the second level federal court where there was a stay because of an appeal from this Lins e Silva guy to keep my son there. Hopefully with the [Brazilian] Supreme Court ruling, with the 82-page report from the first-level federal judge ordering my son to be returned home immediately as well as Brazilian court-appointed mental health experts evaluating my son, saying he's been under psychological trauma, emotionally damaged from this family in Brazil, pointing he needs to be home.

Chetry: They also even called it parental alienation, saying his stepfather – that's who he's staying with right now, correct?

Goldman: He actually lives with Bruna's parents.

Chetry: And that's an odd situation in itself. Just take us back to what happened. You were married, you were happily married, at least you thought. Your wife goes away for a couple of weeks.

Goldman: I drove her to the airport with my son and her parents for a vacation. Love, hugs and kisses with my blessings to have a safe trip. And I was going to go down and visit with them at the end of the trip and fly back to help with Sean, bringing him home.

Chetry: And what happened?

Goldman: I get a phone call; it was actually on Father's Day, two days after they arrived. “David, we have to talk. You're a wonderful guy, you're the best father I could ever imagine for my child, but if you ever want to see him again, you need to come to Brazil, meet with my attorney, sign ten pages of legal papers giving me full custody never pressing criminal charges,” a bunch of other demands. Another one was filing to the courts here that we will be separated.

Chetry: And you had no inkling there was any trouble in the marriage?

Goldman: I had no clue. I had no clue.

Chetry: Do you know what happened?

Goldman: She said she decided she is Brazilian and wants to stay in Brazil where she is known.

Chetry: And subsequently, sadly, she passed away in childbirth. And since then, your son, Sean has been living with her new husband?

Goldman: Yes…well, we were still married in America. America doesn't recognize this marriage to this guy. She married him in Brazil for ten months before she passed away. And now, this man is trying to say that he's got more claim of custody over my own child. He's got no blood relation to my son. And yet, in the court in Brazil, the state court, he filed some motion trying to remove my name from my son's birth certificate, to totally erase me and my parents and my son’s whole paternal lineage from his life and replace it with his own.

Chetry: I know that you've been to Brazil. Your congressman actually accompanied you there in helping with this effort. And it's been a very difficult situation because you've been away from your own son for so long now. How does he react to you? And what are your concerns that even if you do get him back, what the psychological damage of this whole tug-of-war will be on him?

Goldman: My concerns are what is being done to him right now. And those are things I can't control. And again, as evidenced from the evaluations…he's being psychologically and emotionally damaged by them. And where he is now is not a healthy environment. They have to look at the boy, they have to look at the child, not their own selfish or whatever reasons. But he is a child, he's a human, and he's my son. I'm not worried about when we're home. I know I will take care of him as I always had before he was abducted. Remember, he lived over four years with me and he was fine.

And he would call when I was able to speak with him, crying to come home to his father. Crying he wants to come home and see his friends and his grandma and grandpa. They tried to erase all that themselves in front of the media like he never had a life here, which he did, which he still does, waiting. It's not about the five years we missed. He's only 9. He's got his whole life ahead and there is bonding and healing. And the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children actually has a program for parents reunited with their abducted children to help them reconnect and re-bond.

Chetry: We wish you the best of luck in this situation. I know it's been a tough road for you. And the courts still have to rule, but hopefully within weeks you may be reunited.

Goldman: Thank you. I hope so.

Filed under: American Morning
  1. Denise

To Tanya – Why should David be cut off from his son? He did nothing to deserve it. His son was taken. Sean also remembers David – so the bond is still there. So I guess any parent can take their child, and if they manage to fool the courts for a few years – big deal? Come on – show some class.

June 16, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  2. Glen Brown II

I am an American, and I've been fighting in court for 7 years. In an American court, for my american child. This story makes headlines, but it is not uncommon. When money, influence, and politics are involved; there is no such thing as justice.

June 16, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  3. CJ

Kidnap your child back...it's not kidnapping if it is legally your son right? I would do whatever it takes and play just as dirty.

June 16, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  4. Debbie

Tonya Evans, how can you say that the David Goldman is being selftish? The mother took the boy out of the country, married someone else and now another man is raising his child.....Not even another man, the parents of the other man. There is no reason in the world that David should not have his son back. He is the boy's blood relative and was very much a part of the childs life. The child should be with his father.

June 16, 2009 at 1:40 pm |
  5. Shrinker

The damage being done to this child is by this psycho step-father. No one will EVER take my children without a fight. My husband feels the same way. I understand fully David's drive to fight this out until he has his son.

On another note, I don't understand why the military can't help out. This child was kidnapped! I know if he were mine, I would get him back any way I could...even if I had to 'kidnap" him back to the U.S.

I can't image living in the horror of this situation...Good luck to you David...May God bless you and end this situation soon.

June 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  6. Alice

Why is itt that when a child is kept in Brazil after his mother dies, while the father is in the US, averyone wants him back in the US, but when a child is kept in the US, while his father is in Cuba, people think it would be bad to send him back to Cuba?

June 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  7. Realist

My brother had a son 29 years ago last month. His wife left him and remarried a man from Switzerland. She left this country without permission with my nephew. My brother struggled from the time my nephew was 4 years old until he was 7 years old to get him back.

After a major battle in court, his ex wife was allowed to leave again back to Europe with my nephew. Why? Because she was 8 months pregnant and didn't want my nephew to miss out on the family moment.

We've never seen my nephew since. This has crushed my brother for years as this was his only son – a son named after my brother.

Not only is it wrong that women are allowed to do whatever they want to unborn children, it's even further more disturbing how the system favors women in every sense and has no regard for a father's love and care for his family.

June 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  8. Bryan

This is unbelievable. Every time I see this story I can't believe Brasil has the audacity to keep a child from their rightful parent. This story does NOT put that country in a good light at all. Most things in Brasil are insanely corrupt anyway from the top government officials to the local police officers. That country is messed up on so many levels. Good luck to you David; I hope you get your son back.

June 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  9. Pearl A. McKnight

This is a disgrace to our American Justice System, Why are we not doing more as A country to help this American born child be reunited with his father.

I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER ITEM MADE, PRODUCED OR FROM THE COUNTRY OF BRAZIL. WHY DON'T WE ALL DO THIS.

God bless you, you will be united.

June 16, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  10. Tori Hoff

David,

As a mother who is a non-custodial parent due to the negligence of our own US Court System, I complely empathize with you and your situation. I have signed your petition and I have joined your facebook group and I will pray every day for you and your son to someday SOON be reunited as you deserve. No child should be kept from their parent or family!

Tori Hoff

June 16, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  11. John from West Palm Beach, FL

This is so ridiculous! It goes to show that regardless of the culture, country and situation – FATHERS HAVE NO RIGHTS! When will there be a day that someone in power stands up for single fathers? Even in situations locally here in Florida the mother has to be proven 100% incapable of taking care of the child for the father to get custody. Even if the father provides a safer, more stable environment. If it was turned around then the father would have to hire a PI spend $15,000 on an Attorney and still end up getting every other weekend visitation.

I feel for this Father and can only imagine what he is going through!

June 16, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  12. jb

my prayers and best wishes are for you David. I am from South American and women like your ex wife give the rest of us a bad name. You are a wonderful dad and although your son no longer has a mother, you will love and care for him in a way that she never did...that b... had it coming....

June 16, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  13. Becky

I can't see the video – maybe this was brought up – but what about resorting to one of those security companies that recover abducted children? Although, I'm sure he's thought of this and every other scenario. My heart goes out to him.

June 16, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  14. Liz

There is a Facebook Group already created:

HELP US BRING SEAN GOLDMAN HOME

June 16, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  15. Debbie

Maybe supermodel Gisele Bunchendon (spelling ?) can be contacted and asked to lend her supermodel weight to this horrific issue

June 16, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  16. SHANNON

Thank you Tiger99. You said exactly what I was thinking.!!! Furthermore, the mother started this whole nightmare. "IF" things were so bad, she should of been woman enough to explain her unhappiness or gone to authorites if there was some abuse or talked to friends (in the states) , before running off. Being hooked into this story, even the friends of the couple had no idea of her plan. Secondly, and most important.. It's great to see a father fighting for his child and his rights to be a parent. There are too many dead beats out there, that don't even acknowledge their own child, that can be living a block away.

June 16, 2009 at 1:36 pm |
  17. Ivan

David, best of luck to you and your son. I am ashamed that our government is not doing more to help you with the KIDNAPPING of your child. This matter should have been resolved within days, not years in my eyes. My prayers go out to you and your son.

June 16, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  18. Herakles

To those in Brazil who may be reading this... kidnapping is a punishable crime and from History, we have all learned that wars have begun this reason(Trojan War) and for much less than this. Are you willing to sacrafice your nation's place in the world, your international reputation, and your future for a child that rightfully belongs with his "biological" father?

As one who has his eyes set on the highest office in this land, this issue has better be resolved soon

June 16, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  19. Someguy

This is the problem with our government. We have people in congress worrying about steroids in baseball. We have media worry about what Michelle Obama wears out to the garden and yet here is this poor little boy who has been abducted from his father and we, the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, the most powerfull nation in the world cant get this right. I will never understand why we allow other countries to do whatever they want but we dont fight back. There is no reason we shouldnt send someone over there, break down this guys door and take this boy out of there and return him to his FATHER!!!! Thats what we do here, if there is an abduction its an all out search, but NOOOOOOO, we dont want to hurt anybodys international feelings. We want to be everybodys friend. This is BS. When will we as americans quit letting other countries dictate to us what we will do.

June 16, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  20. heather

Tanya Evans-I pray you DO NOT have a child and this happens to you. You are out of your mind! Look at the postings...do you think he was not investigated prior to Hillary Clinton trying to help? Use common sense-if you have any. As a parent of 4 beautiful children, I am thankful for them every day. I can not imagine their dad would run off with them and they would be better off without me. Sean was 4 when he was taken...THEY KNOW THEIR PARENTS. You are ignorant and more self indulgant than any other person I know. This man not only misses his son...HE DESERVES HIS SON! IT IS HIS CHILD AND I PRAY HE NEVER STOPS FIGHTING AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU JUST GO AWAY QUIETLY.

June 16, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  21. Jonathan

Brazilians are jelous of America. They try to take their frustrations out on us anyway they can. Brazil should be considered a hostile country. With friends like the Brazilians, who needs enemies?

June 16, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  22. Michael, Oviedo FL

Sanction Bazil, period!

June 16, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  23. Amanda

Tanya Evans has serious issues of understanding legal systems. The father has been trying to get his son the entire 5 years that this man has held him in captivity. This child was kidnapped. Are you suggesting that if a child is kidnapped by a woman/man who wants that child and is able to keep their grips on that child for a certain period of time then the parents should just give up?

That's a slippery slope you want to take Tanya and I would suggest that you read the entire history of the case and the efforts this father has been making since he realized his wife stole his child. Once you have accomplished this, then evaluate your statements and come to the conclusion you are an evil person who probably do this to your baby daddy.

June 16, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  24. Gail

Buy NOTHING from Brazil, and BOYCOTT ALL TRAVEL TO BRAZIL

June 16, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  25. sheryld6425@yahoo.com

Sir,
    Keep on fighting for your son, God is in control of the situation and
    "No Weapon Formed Against You Shall Prosper"! May God continue to bless and keep you until you are reunited with your son again.

June 16, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  26. jeanne

POTUS AND HILLARY.......................STEP THE H- IN AND GET THIS CHILD BACK TO HIS COUNTRY AND MOST OF ALL HIS FATHER...........................

June 16, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  27. JJ atlanta

I am heartbroken for you. But it's not over. Please don't ever give up. Your child is yours and he's crying for you, justice will be served hopefully and he can come home to his daddy where he belongs.
    Good luck, i'll be reading the news looking for your story.

June 16, 2009 at 1:27 pm |
  28. leslee

My heart breaks for Mr. Goldman; as Americans we should all boycott Brazil as well as write to the Olympic International Committee to block Brazil from having the Games in 2016. I am quite sure Tanya Evans(previous comment) has no children of her own.

June 16, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  29. A Reader

What's even crazier, Brazilians are protesting AGAINST David Goldberg reuniting with his son!

Talk about uneducated people jumping on the wrong bandwagon...

June 16, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  30. milteach

I feel so bad for the man in this story. As soon as the mother died the little boy should have gone back home. What can we do as citizens to get the boy home? Can we lobby or just pray?

June 16, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  31. Debbie Hull

David...

I've seen you on TV many times and my heart and prayers go out to you. I can't imagine the grief and heartache that you and your family are going through. I hope everything works out for you and Sean.

June 16, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  32. Patricia

Who ever this miss Tanya Evens is i hope you don't have any children of your own, that you would leave such a mean and disrespectful letter to a man who is clearly going the right thing. Here is a man who has done everything the law has clearly asked for him to do. You will be in everyone's thoughts and prayers. KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT.

June 16, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  33. Lynn

Tanya Evans....you are a cretin.

This man did nothing but want to love and raise HIS son. He had no say when his his ex kidnapped him. You don't know the intimate story, so, don't judge. Sean also had no say. End this tragedy and bring him home so he CAN get on with his rightful life.

June 16, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  34. Ryan

Tanya Evans, may I ask then, what if this was your child? Your spouse bring's the child to another country, and no matter what you do your child is their for 5 year's. Would you say "we'll i geuss it's been 5 year's i might as we'll forget about it". What kind of parent are you? What kind of human are you for that matter. This is not a custody battle, this child was taken without any knowledge to the father and must be going through alot right now. I hope this child find's his way home. If not, we'll this shed's light on the Brazillian Judical system, or lack thereof.

June 16, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  35. TSimon

It's time to start a Brazilian travel BOYCOTT.

I'm writing to the Brazilian consulate and telling them I won't ever travel to their country nor will I spend any money on products that come from their country.

If enough people did that, maybe the Brazilian government would get a clue and do the right thing.

June 16, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  36. Denise

June 16, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  37. Jannell

This is a horrible story to hear about. I couldn't imagine the pain this father must be feeling right now. As to the person who commented that this man is being selfish, what kind of home life did you have? Every good parent has a right to be with their child and this man is fighting where most would have given up. There is absolutely nothing selfish about this. I was kidnapped by my father when I was young but my mother never gave up on me. My life would have been horrible if she had!! I will keep David and his son, Sean, in my prayers that they can be a family once again, as it should be. I think that if there were a President who would be willing to try to do something for this man, it is Obama. I will keep praying and hoping for you!!!

June 16, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  38. Mike

Where is Obama on this? He should DEMAND that Brazil return this boy to his father immediately or risk irreputable harm to the relationship we have with them. Not only that he should demand an invenstigation into all current child abductees who reside in Brazil and who have a legal parent as full custodian living in the U.S. This is an absolute outrage that other countries criticize the U.S. for decision we make but then pull this crap. As far as I'm concerned the entire U.S. should ban all products from Brazil until this boy is home with his father. The family members in Brazil keeping him from coming home should be arrested and tried as child abductors and abusers because that is exactly what they are. I'm incensed with rage just thinking about this story. If I had the means I would see to it that this boy is returned to his father in the U.S. by any and all means. Obama has the means and yet he remains silent. What a coward for a President we have.

June 16, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  39. Meg

David,

I wish you all of the best to reunite with your son. ou truly seem to be a stand up father and you deserve to be with your son.

June 16, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  40. John R

Previous Post: By Tanya Evans -> "Why rip this child from what he knows just because you are the biological father. "

One of the silliest posts I have ever read. Laughable.

June 16, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  41. Angelina

best of luck David. I sure hope the courts get their heads straight and return your son to you. It's amazing that this country is allowing this to happen with no consequences to the opposing party (his "stepfather").

June 16, 2009 at 1:21 pm |
  42. Ruby Red (USA)

To Tanya Evans, your nuts. What kind of heart do you have, go get lost
    or go live in Brazil & see if you'll like it there.

June 16, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  43. Su

David,
    i have been following this story very closely. Every day I hope to hear the news that you have got your son back. All our prayers with you and hopefully U will reunite with your son soon and bring him back to USA.

June 16, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  44. peter

wow tanya,

are you an orphan or what?

June 16, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  45. Sasha

This is probably not much worthy, but as support to David, I just canceled my business trip to Brazil planned for next February. I will travel to Brazil only after it reunites David with his son.

June 16, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  46. michael kenny

.why did the father just not take the kid using force if necessary to the us consul in san paulo or rio or the embassy in brasilia and tell the marine guard that he wants protection. why play by the rides when there are no rules, i don't feel sorry for the kid but sorry for the father, i would never alllow my children to be seperated from me, i travel to brazil multiple times a year and have a 5 year visa, so i know what is real and what is not

June 16, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  47. Anna

Tanya Evans, you sound like a very narrow-minded individual and clearly you must not be a parent. Please educate yourself by reading up on a few child psychology books. Children belong with their biological parents. This child has a life, family and a father who loves him here and he should be reunited.

Good Luck, David, I hope you get to be with your son soon.

June 16, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  48. sarge

Obviously Mrs. or Miss Evans has issues w/ men. The child was 4 when he was illegally seperated from his father. She does not know what caused the wife to do this. His wife may have met an old flame and decided she like that better. The child initially longed to come back to what he knew. If I was the father I would have spent everything I have to get my child back anyway I had to, legally or illegally. I love my children and and the best way to bring the world crashing down on your head would be to mess with with of them..Mrs. or Miss Evans.

June 16, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  49. JimK

I think, at this point in time, that David should seriously consider having a "freelance group" fly to Brazil and liberate that young boy.

June 16, 2009 at 1:13 pm |
  50. Mary

The child's stepfather is a wealthy well-known lawyer from a long line of lawyers and he and his family know the judges and have the influence and clout to make the judges rule in their favor. The only way this guy will get his kid back is if he keeps international pressure and news on the case and if he can keep American politicians pressuring for the child's safe return. Most likely he is appeasing the grandparents who don't want to lose a "piece" of their daughter–their grandchild. But it is extremely selfish and heartless

June 16, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  51. Mary

We returned Elian. They should return Sean to his father too.

June 16, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  52. Teresa Gilday

I am particularly disgusted by the fact that no one in Brazil is standing up and saying what has to be said - SEND THE CHILD HOME TO HIS REAL FATHER. What is it with them? Do they sell children? Do they approve of destroying a child's lineage and kidnapping an innocent child? Do they think Americans are trash and only wealthy Brazilians with connections have ownership rights over a child? I'm totally disgusted with their entire country - I hear no calls from them as a society to end this fiasco and to send the child home. Apparently all Brazil believes that you can just keep a child that is not yours.

June 16, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  53. Tiger-99

Tanya Evans you are not a parent to make the cooment you just made, what if your husband (and I pray you do not have one) was to take your child to another country would you just want to leave your child with his/her stepmother or would you want to getyour child back, he is the child father and he have rights and he want his son and I dont blame him for wanting to be in his child life get over yourself and please dont become a mother you will not be a good one.

June 16, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  54. Chris

David, my family and I are praying for you and your family to remain strong as this dreadful saga hopefully draws to a close. Its hard to imagine a more outrageous situation. This self-proclaimed 'step-father' disgusts me, I can only imagine the frustration, rage and despair you must feel

Hang in there and God's blessings.

June 16, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  55. troubled

There's something that bothers me about this story. I've been reading about it in the news for some time now. Years ago, I dated a man who was abusive. Fortunately I left that situation. He later married a much younger woman (a girl, really) who was from another country. I did a google search on him years later only to learn that he was in a custody battle with this woman who left him and returned to her country of birth with their child because he was abusive towards her. He took the case to the courts in her country and I am not sure of the outcome, but he used the media to portray his innocence.

My concern is if Mrs. Goldman was only back in Brazil for two days before calling her husband and telling him she wouldn't return, this had to be something preplanned, and not for no reason. I don't like to think of Mr. Goldman as abusive and perhaps they did have a wonderful relationship and he had no idea she was leaving him, but we're only hearing his side of the story.

Having said that, a child generally belongs with its parent(s) and assuming he's a good dad and there is nothing in court records about him being otherwise, the child should be returned to him immediately.

June 16, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  56. Di

David,
    With all our prayers & support, you will be reunited with your son
    sooner than you thought. Keep trusting the Lord. He will show you
    mighty things you have not known.
    "Look up young man, Look up !!!"

June 16, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  57. Karen Strickland

Find the Childlren has a reunification program with therapists trained in working with abducted children and their parents. Its 6-8 weeks of free therapy. It was started in 1991 with a grant from the Justice Department and is the only one of its kind in the country. We would be happy to help Mr. Goldman and Sean. Children cannot be reunified without special and long term help.

Karen Strickland
    Executive Director
    Find the Children

June 16, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  58. Chris

You deserve to have your son with you in the USA not some stranger playing father. I wish you luch and hope you get to see your son very soon. I can imagine what I would do in a suitation like this.

Praying for you.

June 16, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  59. Christopher Melton Maidt

As horrible as this sounds, it is happening right here in America with the full blessing of our own government.

June 16, 2009 at 12:59 pm |
  60. JohnnieDude

This is so sad! President Obama should send a SWAT Team NOW to Brazil; grab the kid (Sean) and reunite him with his father (David) in New Jersey! Can't our goverment do more to help? Father's Day is Sunday!!!

June 16, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  61. Chris Davis

This story is so painful to read. I have a 3 yr old, and I absolutely cannot imagine the trauma this is bringing to the father and HIS boy. The legal fight, the fact that there is even a question of whether the boy should be returned or not, seems so totally irrational, so completely unjust, I simply can't even believe it. Return the boy to his biological father so he can begin a normal childhood! It's that simple. Every fact, every measure, every aspect says this boy should be returned to his biological father. Why it's such a legal fight I simply do not understand!? How can he keep it together given this ridiculous charade???

June 16, 2009 at 12:58 pm |
  62. Tyler

Horrible! I feel for this guy! This is my total nightmare!

I hope you get your boy back!!!!

June 16, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  63. Leigh

This story is so incredibly heartbreaking. This child should have been immediately returned to his true father upon the death of his mother. I can't imagine being in this father's shoes. This child has lost his mother and now the person most related to him by bond and blood is being alienated from his life. It's tragic!

If Brazil expects the Hague Convention to be honored in cases where Brazilian children are returned to them then they should honor the convention and return this boy to his true father. If you ask me, our government should be doing more to help this man. They had armed guards deliver Elian Gonzalez back to his Cuban family - where's the justice for this man and his son?

June 16, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  64. roy

There are a lot of men in the USA fighting to see their kids, who are also in the USA. Sometimes another state sometimes the same. Five years is not uncommon. Grandparents often die without ever seeing their grankids. Simply because the 'mother' is a vindictive person and the court is a charade.

June 16, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  65. Post

What a sad and horrible story. The father should have had his son back immediately. I have been through a custody battle in the US and it is bad enough here. What kind of country would not return a child after the death of the other parent is horrible. good luck to you. Fathers like me are praying for you.

June 16, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  66. alex.

OBAMA ...!! Please Help us out here...!!!!

June 16, 2009 at 12:55 pm |
  67. DRC

I am a father and I would be destroyed if this ever happened to me. Brasil needs to return his abducted child NOW. This is not acceptable!. This father and son are missing out being the father being the son because of the Brasil court system.

June 16, 2009 at 12:52 pm |
  68. Lisa

Keep fighting the good fight! I am very proud of you!

June 16, 2009 at 12:49 pm |
  69. Amy

I think that it is uphauling that this man still can't get his son back!! Come on... in the US the government will give a drug addict her child back even after neglect has been proven. I can't believe that there is a government that wouldn't give the next of kin the rights that they deserve!

June 16, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  70. Rob

This is a horrible situation and is saddening that this amount of time has gone by without being resolved. This is David’s son and not this stepfather’s child. There is right and wrong in this world and people can be so selfish, especially when it comes to children. I could only imagine David’s pain and I truly hope his son is back in his arms soon.

June 16, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  71. Deneen

I can't write here what I actually said out loud when I read the follow up to the stories regarding Brazil's waffling about on this case, and the family playing mind games with a young child.

Considering International law, Brazil should be censored in some way for allowing this case to go as far as it has, and allowing your son to be traumatized further...they signed an agreement and should have stuck to it!

June 16, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  72. Christina & Jessica

My daughter and I have been following Mr. Goldman's story from the day he appeared on Larry King Live. This boy belongs with his biological father who has done nothing but fight to have his son returned to him and his family. I pray for you Mr. Goldman and for your son that you will be reunited soon. This child was abducted and kept in Brazil against his father's wishes I don't understand the delay in getting his son back. ???

June 16, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  73. Greg Rodgers

I feel for Mr. Goldman....I hope he gets his son back. What has happened here is terrible.

I do hope that the plight of this man gets a huge spotlight here in the states as this same thing happens right here at home.

I for one love my daughter. I used to see her every other weekend up until Aug 1999. Through legal channels, my ex wife got the visits stopped...and this was after years of her getting the visits halted and restarted because of my ex wifes meddling.

After 1999 I filed for custody...the court decided to keep my daughter with her mom citing my ex wifes home was all my daughter knew. The court then stopped the visits because the judge felt that all of the interuptions in visits and my ex wifes meddling was phsycologically affecting my daughter.

Now, my daughter thinks I just up an left her. Parental Alienation exists and it is real. All these years, my ex wife told her I did not want our daughter. My daughter will not speak to me...nice fathers day.

We should all pray for David and His son and for the thousands of good fathers who want to be in the kids lived but cannot behind nothing more than selfishness of others.

Pray that one day that these children all over this country will one day be re-uinited with fathers who love them.

-Greg

June 16, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  74. Karen

This is truly an outrage. This child needs to be returned to his father immediately. I have so much respect for this man for continuing the fight to do what is best for his son. This is doing so much damage to that precious little boy. He needs to be with his dad.

June 16, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  75. Muriel

This is a risk you take when you marry someone from a different country and should be taken into consideration before marrying. I hope he gets his son back, but there is no happy ending for the child.

June 16, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  76. Aparna N

Hello David,
    You are going through a nightmarish period, I hope you are re-united with your son soon. My prayers for this to happen.

Taking away a child from a parent is completely wrong, I hope the Brazilian government realizes this and co-operates in this case!

Wish you good luck.

-Aparna Narendar

June 16, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  77. Polly

Bad bad display on behalf of Brazil. Do we see the name of the step-father anywhere? Or the grandparents in Brazil?

June 16, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  78. Shanel DE

This in insane. I am glad our laws for the most part aren't this skewed. Good luck to you getting your son back...

June 16, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  79. Militarymale

The boy needs to be with his father and brazil needs to comply. This is completely bogus. They want us to treat there fathers or mothers the same way if the shoe was on the other foot. He is the father send the boy home to him.

June 16, 2009 at 12:39 pm |
  80. Katie

Brazil is an awful place for father's rights. Why they would want to be known as the child abduction capitol of the world is beyond me.

June 16, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  81. Carmela, Longwood, Florida

I have followed this case from the start, and it amazes me how in God's earth, somebody can deny Mr. Goldman's right to have his son back with him. Justice delayed is justice denied, and in this case the Brazilian Supreme Court played footsy with its decision to go back to the lower court, instead of ordering the child back to New Jersey where he belongs with his dad. Mr. Goldman is right in fearing for the damage inflicted already on his son by these undeserving delays in resolving a case, which on its merits should have been solved long, long ago. Good luck to you Mr. Goldman in getting your son back,which you will. And I sincerely hope it's sooner, rather than later.

June 16, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  82. Tanya Evans

Goldman you are selfish, all you care about is yourself. He is 9 years old now and has made a life for himself in Brazil, why rip this child from what he knows just because you are the biological father. You will do more harm to him by taking him away from what he knows now and he is much older, he has a life there not with you. I think you need to give this up and stop thinking of your own darn ego and what is good for YOU. I think that the Brazilian courts should be applauded for not bringing him back to USA because in Brazil they actually care about the kids and their emotional state not like in the USA where they could not give a rats ass for the kids but only what is good for the parent, it makes me sick to my stomach!! Leave Sean alone and let him live his life where he is and if he wants to see you then you go to Brazil for vacations. LEAVE HIM ALONE; STOP TRYING TO MESS UP THE CHILD’S LIFE! All you men think that because you are the biological father the child must be with you no matter how happy they are somewhere else and with loving people. Obviously there is another side to this and unfortunately your late wife is unable to have her say, but to move away from you I am sure she had very valid reasons. I hope the Brazilian courts do not honor the Hague Convention so that Sean can be free to live his life in Brazil.

June 16, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  83. Cheryl Shannon

This is not unique, as I have not had contact with my only child for 15 years now, due to in-laws (out-laws) and the court system who banished me from my parental rights. I am a Parenting teacher and yet, the court chose to believe lies about me and prohibited me from speaking!

I have been trying, but now that my child is in her 20's, her convictions keep her isolated from me. Praying that we will soon reuninte........

June 16, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  84. mary

Sad story, I hope all goes well!

June 16, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  85. Eddie B.

This story has infuriated me and I have been tracking it for a while. I really feel for this man and he needs to have his son back. What the mother did by taking this boy to Brazil and never returning him is just wrong and selfish. This case reminds me of the Elian Gonzalez incident. He needs to be with his father and what they are doing is a kidnapping.

June 16, 2009 at 12:30 pm |
  86. Mobius

Marry a foreigner and take your chances.

June 16, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  87. Cyndi

This is sad. I feel the boy should be returned to his father. Its the legal and right thing to do. I dont think the Brazilian Government should have anything to do with this matter. The mother took him, out of the country, without the fathers consent. He should beable to go into that country and get his son.

June 16, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  88. Virginia

These people need to be brought up on charges for what they are doing to this man, David Goldman, and his son, Sean. I am divorced and have put up with some crap from my exhusband and his current wife regarding my sons as well. It all surrounds his selfishness. I will say my boys now know it is his selfishness that drives him and not their happiness or wellbeing. Time will be on David's side, keep up the good fight!!!! God Bless

June 16, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  89. Vicky

Give this man his child, his life, back. The people in Brazil should have no claim over him, so long as he has blood relation alive. Grow up!

June 16, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  90. Joann

I say we start a movement that NO one goes or flys to Brazil from the United states until his son is returned to the US.

It can be started on You Tub, FaceBook and general email

June 16, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  91. Linda

David,
    I've been following your story since it was first in the media. God bless you in your struggles to get Sean back. I do pray that this gets resolved very soon for yours and his sake. Those Brazilians are crazy nuts. I know a few others that would try to pull off something like that. Take care in your journey.

June 16, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  92. Gary Nguyen

The Brazilian Supreme Court got this case right. The natural father must have custody of his own son (his own flesh and blood) back in a loving environment.

June 16, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  93. bella

This is the classic example of a devious wife using an American to gain a visa then fly back to her country, where it seems to me, she was caring an affair with her current brazilian husband. There is no way you jump from being a married mother with a loving husband, then go on vaction and then call say I want a divorce and then marry someone else just as quick. I will tell you that it is obvious that her family has munipliated the Brazilian courts to believe that this man is a terrible parent. I can assure you that they can claim that he has not contributed financially etc, but I garuntee you that if he had tried to work with them and go to Brazil, she would of tried to get him arrest under false pretenses. This situation happens all the time. Ask military men who marry women from other countries, alot get trapped in the "I am going to visit my parents' and they don't come back. They then use the law of their home country to try to arrest and keep the other parent away. I hope david gets this poor child back home. My prayers are for him and his family.

June 16, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  94. Deloys

David, I am so sorry you are going thru this. Don't give up!!! We are praying. Justice will be done.

June 16, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  95. Mark Henson

Why is it that our State Department is not taking more aggressive action to recover this boy? He is an American citizen, a minor, abducted against his will, and held against his will through illegal Brazilian manipulation of international law. Why is this not regarded as a hostile kidnapping? I don't understand the inaction on the part of our government.

June 16, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  96. Bob Johnston

I think everyone in the U.S. should boycott all Brazilian products until the son is returned to his father,

June 16, 2009 at 12:12 pm |
  97. JAMES DUCKWORTH SLC UTAH

BEST OF LUCK YOU WILL NEED IT

June 16, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  98. Trin

I can't believe in today's world that this is happening. You deserve your son back with you 100%. There should be no questions here. I don't get it... Best of Luck to you sir in your ventures to get your own son back where he belongs... WITH YOU!

June 16, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  99. Kim

David Goldman is a hero to all the other 50 left behind parents that
    have children retained illegally in Brazil. Not only has he fought this
    never ending battle for his son, he has brought to light the severe
    injustice a left behind parent suffers daily. David Goldman never
    forgets to mention the other 70 children held illegally in Brazil. That
    in itself shows what a unselfish great father he really is no matter
    what lies the other family has stated about him. He deserves his
    God given right to be a father to Sean. Justice has to be served soon
    as the maternal family is doing severe damage to Sean's emotional
    well being. This has been well documented in the 82 page court
    ruling by the honorable Judge Pinto. Why is Sean still under their care
    is a crime in itself. Bring Sean Home Now!

June 16, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  100. Fred Robinson

Cinderella:

Great story. Best of luck to David.

Is Christine on vacation?

Cheers,