American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 16th, 2009

Father fights for son’s return on 5th anniversary

The case has made international headlines – a father's desperate quest to get his son back. It's been exactly five years since David Goldman's wife, Bruna Bianchi Carneiro Ribeiro, took their then 4-year-old son to Brazil and never came back.

Since then, he's been fighting to be reunited with his little boy, Sean. And just when he thought it was over, another setback. Goldman joined Kiran Chetry on CNN’s “American Morning” Tuesday to talk about the case.

Kiran Chetry: Today you're marking an unwelcome anniversary. It's been five years since you had your son Sean with you. It looked like things were turning in your favor. The high court ruled they were going to honor the Hague Convention on International Abductions. Most of those in the court said your son should come back to you. So what's the delay right now?

David Goldman: Well, what was filed in front of the [Brazilian] Supreme Court was, in fact, if the Brazilian judicial system was going to honor the Hague Convention. If their government was still going to be a party to the Hague Convention where they receive children back under the Hague from America, as well. And they decided yes, we are going to honor the Hague Convention, we will return children. This particular case, a couple of them pointed out that Sean has been here way too long and this needs to be resolved.

And then they punted it back to the second level federal court where there was a stay because of an appeal from this Lins e Silva guy to keep my son there. Hopefully with the [Brazilian] Supreme Court ruling, with the 82-page report from the first-level federal judge ordering my son to be returned home immediately as well as Brazilian court-appointed mental health experts evaluating my son, saying he's been under psychological trauma, emotionally damaged from this family in Brazil, pointing he needs to be home.

Chetry: They also even called it parental alienation, saying his stepfather – that's who he's staying with right now, correct?

Goldman: He actually lives with Bruna's parents.

Chetry: And that's an odd situation in itself. Just take us back to what happened. You were married, you were happily married, at least you thought. Your wife goes away for a couple of weeks.

Goldman: I drove her to the airport with my son and her parents for a vacation. Love, hugs and kisses with my blessings to have a safe trip. And I was going to go down and visit with them at the end of the trip and fly back to help with Sean, bringing him home.

Chetry: And what happened?

Goldman: I get a phone call; it was actually on Father's Day, two days after they arrived. “David, we have to talk. You're a wonderful guy, you're the best father I could ever imagine for my child, but if you ever want to see him again, you need to come to Brazil, meet with my attorney, sign ten pages of legal papers giving me full custody never pressing criminal charges,” a bunch of other demands. Another one was filing to the courts here that we will be separated.

Chetry: And you had no inkling there was any trouble in the marriage?

Goldman: I had no clue. I had no clue.

Chetry: Do you know what happened?

Goldman: She said she decided she is Brazilian and wants to stay in Brazil where she is known.

Chetry: And subsequently, sadly, she passed away in childbirth. And since then, your son, Sean has been living with her new husband?

Goldman: Yes…well, we were still married in America. America doesn't recognize this marriage to this guy. She married him in Brazil for ten months before she passed away. And now, this man is trying to say that he's got more claim of custody over my own child. He's got no blood relation to my son. And yet, in the court in Brazil, the state court, he filed some motion trying to remove my name from my son's birth certificate, to totally erase me and my parents and my son’s whole paternal lineage from his life and replace it with his own.

Chetry: I know that you've been to Brazil. Your congressman actually accompanied you there in helping with this effort. And it's been a very difficult situation because you've been away from your own son for so long now. How does he react to you? And what are your concerns that even if you do get him back, what the psychological damage of this whole tug-of-war will be on him?

Goldman: My concerns are what is being done to him right now. And those are things I can't control. And again, as evidenced from the evaluations…he's being psychologically and emotionally damaged by them. And where he is now is not a healthy environment. They have to look at the boy, they have to look at the child, not their own selfish or whatever reasons. But he is a child, he's a human, and he's my son. I'm not worried about when we're home. I know I will take care of him as I always had before he was abducted. Remember, he lived over four years with me and he was fine.

And he would call when I was able to speak with him, crying to come home to his father. Crying he wants to come home and see his friends and his grandma and grandpa. They tried to erase all that themselves in front of the media like he never had a life here, which he did, which he still does, waiting. It's not about the five years we missed. He's only 9. He's got his whole life ahead and there is bonding and healing. And the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children actually has a program for parents reunited with their abducted children to help them reconnect and re-bond.

Chetry: We wish you the best of luck in this situation. I know it's been a tough road for you. And the courts still have to rule, but hopefully within weeks you may be reunited.

Goldman: Thank you. I hope so.

Filed under: American Morning
  1. JOEL CHAPARRO

I dont understand why the usa allowed this to happen....I am married to a brazilian and she thinks that this is horrible.and For whatever we believe in yoU must realize that we Cant Kount on our government for anything. you Can Not Not do anything we must pray for this family 🙂

June 16, 2009 at 4:31 pm |
  2. Nan

First as a parent and then as a decendent of a Brazilian – I am shocked and appalled at the decision of the Brazilian appellate court. Now I take the place of a single mom who tried for 4 years to engage the father of my child in her well-being and up-bringing. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone do the right thing and reunite this boy with his father. Put the political b/s behind us and just do the humanitarian and moral thing and reunite the bioligical father with his child. As a NJ resident – come on, where are our policiticans on this. My hats of to Ms. Clinton in the efforts she has made. To the biological Dad – while we (your supporters) do not have the power of the media behind us, nor the celebritiy status attached to us; please know that you have tons of support behind you – stay strong and stay firm.

June 16, 2009 at 4:30 pm |
  3. Mo

Tanya Evans- You obviously are a bitter, ugly human being.

June 16, 2009 at 4:29 pm |
  4. Eve

Coming from a family of 9 sisters and brothers and their multiple marriages, divorces, step-kids, half-siblings, etc., I've seen it from both sides. It always seems the 'custodial' parent is the one who keeps the 'non' custodial parent in a constant state of despair. It's wrong all on sides. Children have a right to know both parents without having to be traumatized to make that happen. Parents need to GROW UP, or better yet, really get to know who you are having children with before you have them.

David, hang in there just a while longer. I truly believe you will get your son back.

June 16, 2009 at 4:28 pm |
  5. Jason

Here's a lawyer joke:

How do you keep a lawyer from drowning?

–Shoot em.

June 16, 2009 at 4:26 pm |
  6. Chad Bullock

It's ridiculous that this takes 5 years. Our government needs to quit lolly gagging and get serious with their Brazilian president. It's his blood son and he should get him back. Isn't that universal in our world unless you are hurting the kid? I wish we would simply send in a tactical extraction team and take the boy back.

June 16, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  7. Calandra

I have followed this man's story from the beginning and have watched him age considerably under the stress of it all. If anyone thinks that David's motives are anything but for the betterment of his son I ask you to search inside yourself and let God touch your heart to soften your view of the world. Bad things happen to good people and I can only pray that when it's time for me to find a husband and father to my future children that I find someone as loving as this man is. Brazil is on my banned list until this is resolved. Good luck David and Sean.

June 16, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  8. mary

I am praying for you and your son. Please do not give up there are many many people praying for you to have your son back. What is the point of keeping the child? This gives Brazil a bad name. What kind of people are they? I certainly don't hold them in high regard. Please hang on!!!!!

June 16, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  9. Catherine

David, your son has endured many losses: the loss of you, his father, his mother, his life in the United States and many others. God bless you for endeavoring so long to get Sean back home, safe and sound. My children were abducted by their father when they were 1 1/2 and 3, and I know what it is like to endure the emptiness, worry and desvastation of not having your children with you. Life as you once knew it is changed forever. My heart goes out to you and to Sean. My prayer for you is that you bring him home soon.

June 16, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  10. Irene

Tanya @ 1237 – your post shows your own bias.

Troubled- I don't think you can claim that "she must have had a reason" to pre-plan leaving. If you read the story, she had a Brazilian husband before coming here! Sure sounds like she planned it.

et al making the "you take your risk marrying a foreigner" – that shows absolute ignorance.

I cannot believe our government hasn't put pressure on this case long before now. You have an American citizen, a minor, willfully kidnapped. The kidnapper's location is known. Upon the death of the kidnapper, the child should have been returned. Period. Even had this been an inter-country custody dispute, the mother's death should have ended it ESPECIALLY when a non-related individual is reportly abusing him. It's appalling! What the h*ck is Brazil thinking? The child has been significantly traumatized! Being forced into a new culture at the age of 5, and torn away from his father? With someone who reportedly does not care for him and is abusing him? The poor child!

Parental rights in general need to re-looked at here in America as well. The system is weighted against men. Look at the cases of men being forced to pay child support for children that aren't theirs. Or those who know and are forced to watch their children be alienated against them, or be abused. I know someone who watches his child exposed to Marijuana; he went to pick her up, smelled it, and called police who refused to respond. We need significant reform.

June 16, 2009 at 4:21 pm |
  11. DAVID

To Tanya Evans

Why don't you mind your on business, unless you have had your own biological child, who has been abducted, whom you love more than life itself, and someone else gets to raise your child their way. shut up . YOU probably take up for all the DAD"S who won't help raise and support their kids, behind on child support payments but can afford to pay for you. PLEASE GET A LIFE

June 16, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  12. FathersThatCare

I totally understand where this father is coming from, as I'm starting to have the same problem with my ex and my daughter. I met my ex about three years ago, and we ended up having a daughter that I have been seeing every weekend for two years. Also, I have been paying child support every two weeks, and i'm always there. If my daughter goes the hospital, she is sick, she needs medicine. I've been there. My daughter knows me as daddy, she runs to me everytime I go to pick her up. Well, my ex was married to someone that was in prison at the time. My Ex, and him just reconciled about 2 months ago. The problem is even though my daughter is Biologically mine, which has been proven with DNA test. The court system says otherwise. Mind you my name is on the birth cert. My Ex is threatning to keep me away from my daughter, I don't know why, but she is. When I take her to court, she will have a choice to make, and I cannot do anything about it. She has the right to tell the court that I'm not the legal father, as my daughter was born in to her marrige (DNA does not matter – as I will be a considered a sperm donor). I'm praying everyday that she makes the right decison.. I love my daughter and I cannot imagine not being able to see her anymore. Its the same kind of thing that happend to this guys son, even though this guy did not even get a chance to meet his son.

Why are men treated like this? What are we protecting?

June 16, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  13. Crystal

I can't imagine how awful this must be for this father and all the other fathers and mothers that this has happened to. David, NEVER let anyone or anything stand in the way of your fight to re-unite with your child. Best of luck.

June 16, 2009 at 4:20 pm |
  14. Laura

I hope the child is returned to the US. How many other children are being held captive in foreign countries other than Brazil...I am thinking Saudi Arabia, Iran (read the book Not Without My Daughter), Turkey, Syria? Marry a foreigner? No way! My dad's patient abducted their daughter to Iran in the mid 70's. She never saw her again.

June 16, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  15. dennis

Tanya. I'm not sure what you are taking but it has to be illegal. I hope you do not have children because as a parent you would really suck. You know nothing about Mr. Goldman, i.e., what kind of parent he was. His child was kidnapped. His good-for-nothing mother knew what she did was wrong because she wanted guarantees he wouldn't have her arrested and wouldn't fight for custody. That should tell you right there she knew she was 100% wrong. Again, if you don't have children please keep it that way. If you do have children, please give them up for adoption!!

June 16, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  16. Brian

Wake up folks! The U.S. will not even help out the good dads who have kids here. The court system is extremely prejudiced against dads in this country when it comes to divorce or any other matters. This country is so quick to punish the bad dads and even the President speaks out against them. Well what about the good dads who love their kids and want to be a part of their lives? No one helps us out when an ex takes them away. We are supposed to be great full that we get one day a week a total of four hours and every other weekend with them. How is that justice? Oh and the courts and lawyers always say, "its whats best for the kids".

June 16, 2009 at 4:18 pm |
  17. A Different David

My wife took my son without warning and moved 1500 miles away, but still in the US. I can try to speak with him each night (he's two and not into phone conversations at this point). Given how bad this hurts, I cannot imgine how hard this is for David. God bless and best wishes for the safe (and soon) return of your son.

June 16, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  18. Michael Cano

Is there anything we can do as the public to assist?

June 16, 2009 at 4:16 pm |
  19. Crow

Oh Joseph...You need to understand...Sean IS our business...he is a US citizen. David is a US citizen. That, sir, makes him and this situation VERY much OUR business.
    David did not abandon his son, which is what makes a deadbeat. His son was abducted. Do you pay money to the person who has kidnapped your child, especially when you are not allowed to see your child? Would you abandon your child if he or she were abducted?

joseph June 16th, 2009 3:46 pm ET

Hopefully this kid will stay were he is !!! this goldman is a dead beat dad has not paid child support and needs to move on this kid has a life with this other family . U.S . needs to mind its own business

June 16, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  20. Ann

Joseph,

You are obviously Brasilian and most likely associated with this family or campaign against International Law. NOT the US ... International Law. Children are not like dogs or animals in which they can move and adapt from one environment to the next. You obviously do not have children, OR you may be one of the "elite" (cough, cough) who prefer to leave the upbringing and care of their children to the nannies who rarely have more than a 4th or 5th grade education, rearing them with questionable or dual morals and ethics. The children (and subsequently adults) learn that their needs are what is important, NOT that of others (children) which is why Lins e Silva cannot see what is right and relinquish custody to David. He, like so many of the "elite," is just another spoiled bratty Brasilian who wants his way and will do anything to get it ... wrong or wrong. Don't tell me I don't know. I've lived there several times amongst that kind. Funny how those from other countries can see it, but most Brasilians can't.

June 16, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  21. A Rudy

It's funny how this is a big deal to CNN, even though the kid is being treated wonderfully and loves living with his mother's family. Meanwhile, on the other side of the Atlantic, Noam Schalit has been trying to get his son, Gilad Schalit back for just as long, and unlike this boy, Schalit is critically wounded and is beaten every day by his Hamas captors. Why does CNN not care about that story?

June 16, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  22. Bill in Indy

I pray for your son's safe return like all of the other people posting on this site. However, I disagree with many who are chastising "Brazilian people"....in one person's post they are called "nuts". Seriously? Come one people...you can't generalize about Brazilian people any more than you can generalize about all Americans or any other nationality. This is a VERY unfortunate story that needs quick resolution, but blaming all Brazilians for this is what's nuts.

June 16, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  23. Val

Boycott Brazil? What kind of dolt thought that one up?

I do wish you and your family much luck through this ordeal. YOUR son belongs to YOU –

June 16, 2009 at 4:14 pm |
  24. JOEL CHAPARRO

I feel for this Father almost the same thing happen to me but the country was Germany and they did strip my last name from my daugther certificate. It was not way according to them that my daughter could retain my last name it was awufull. I left Germany when she was 2 years old, now she is 14. I have been back to Germany to visit her for the last 12 years twice a year plus paying child support. I and my ex wife we are kiind of friends now and things have been always decent and my daugther granparents are ok too. But I miss her everyday is not a day that goes by that I feel like craying. This is not fear Mr David keep fighting I was chicken I said to everything yes to avoid hurting my daughter. My prayers to you Sir.

June 16, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  25. WENDIANNE LAZTISH

I Pray for you to get your son back, so many brazillians come to this country to marry and just to get their papers, this is a terrible thing to take this boy away from his biological father.
    All I have to say is please please give this boy back to his real father.

June 16, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  26. Cheri

Dear David,

I have been following your story for quite some time. I just don't understand how the Brazilian Government can justify holding your son. The American Government should be doing everything in there power to make this reunion happen. I hope that your son is home for good very, very soon!!

As for Tanya Evans,

Do you have children? Can you even understand what it must be like for this man to be seperated from his son? How his parents must feel knowing they have a grandson somewhere BUT are not allowed to see him? Would you be willing to fight for five long, drawn out years to have your child back in your arms? Would you drain your savings, borrow money from friends, contact government officials, give up a career, ANYTHING to make your dream of seeing your child again a reality. I know that I would move mountains for my children.

June 16, 2009 at 4:11 pm |
  27. Batyah

I would have been more sympathetic toward Mr. Goldman if he had not sue the Brazilian family for $500,000 and settled and received $150,000. The Brazilian courts have a problem handing over a child to a father that had never been able to financially support the child or the mother when they were living in the U.S. It would not surprise me if after being able to bring the child back to the U.S. Mr. Goldman sues the Brazilian family for child support. I'm dissapointed that CNN did not reported only the sensational portion of this story and withheld the not so glamorous side of Mr. Goldman's greed. I do not know any of the people involved but I do know how to seek balance journalistic information.

June 16, 2009 at 4:10 pm |
  28. Pippa

To Joseph: so the child is atually being held for ransom? If David pays child support does he get his child back? Rubbish. Why should he pay when he's as much a victim as the boy? Apparently they wouldn't even let him see his son for a couple of years.

By the way, if Sean is blonde and blue-eyed, then get ready for an even longer fight. Children who look like that absolutely FASCINATE Brazilians. I simply can't see them making this much fuss over a Black child.

June 16, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  29. Luiz

Please note that there are posts by two different people with the same name "Luiz."

Brazil should have followed the Hague Convention long ago and returned Sean to his father David. It's about time to end their story and to take care of the more than fifty other cases of children who remain illicitly in Brazil.

June 16, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  30. Played that game too

You should stop letting the legal wranglings of two countries keep you from seeing your son.
    There are people who can get your son back for you and it will cost a lot less that the lawyetrs you have been paying and it will be swifter.
    Man up and go get your son.

God speed

June 16, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  31. Dee

WOW..I know your pain. But instead of my husband running of with our daughter off to Brazil, this happened here for me in the USA.

It took 9 years for me to get her back. She was 4 when he ran off with her. She is 14 now. We were reunited last year after 9 years.

DON'T EVER GIVE UP! Keep fight, and fighting and praying. GOD answers prayers he really does. Don't ever give up!

Dee

June 16, 2009 at 4:03 pm |
  32. Dawnarie

We should all email the Brazilian ambassador Antonio deAguiar Patriota and demand that Sean be returned to his father. I looked online and the email address is: Ambassador@brasilemb.org, also email his Human Rights office at: Humanrights@brasilemb.org.

June 16, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  33. Susan demeritt

I am sure when you are reunited it will be wonderful! You deserve to get your son back... and he will know for the rest of his life how much you love him because of how hard you fought to get him back. I love my daughter and couldn't imagine your pain. You are a strong man...and your strength will provide security when he is in your arms again! I have been captivated by this story since it broke... You will get him back.... please don't stop trying... Warmest, Sue Demeritt

June 16, 2009 at 4:02 pm |
  34. Heather

This is so outrageous and unspeakable. I can't even imagine the heartbreak, or the psychological repercussions for this child. Good luck in your efforts!

June 16, 2009 at 4:01 pm |
  35. Stoli

Tanya Evans (previous post) – you are a confused individual. You should be ashamed of your comments. If I knew you personally, I would be embarrased to admit it. You are truly a deplorable person. I think you have mental issues. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you like the person looking back at you. I'll bet the answer is "NO". Not a single person in these hundreds of posts on this story likes you. What does that tell you? Loser...

If this kid's step dad wasn't some well known Brazilian lawyer from a powerful family this kid would have been returned to his father years ago!!! I for one and all for this Brazilian boycott until Sean is returned.

Mr. Goldman, I too am a father, and my heart goes out to you sir. I have been following your story for some time. I know you won't ever give up. You have literally hundreds of thousands of people wishing you the very best. I hope your prayers are answered.

June 16, 2009 at 4:00 pm |
  36. Heather

This post is in response to the post from Tanya Evans. I am wondering if you have any children of your own, if you do I feel for your children because what you are saying is that if your child or children were taken from you to another country by their father you would leave them there and not fight to get them back. I could understand if Mr. Goldman hasn't fought to get his son back or hasn't made an attempt and then all of the sudden 5 years later he decides he wants him back, that is different, but he has been fighting to get him back for 5 years now since he was taken. What is the difference between a child being with their biological mother or father, each has equal rights to the child. I commend Mr. Goldman that he wants to get his child back, because there are so many parents, both mothers and fathers, that do not care. A REAL parent would have fought from the day the child was taken until the day the child is back with the parent and that is Mr. Goldman. By the sounds of it you would not do that and that is ashame.

June 16, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  37. Red

To the deluded Tanya Evans: it's clear you don't have children and thus don't have any idea about the parent/child bond that forms as soon as the child is born. No biological parent who was duped like David Goldman was will stop trying to bring their child home. It's a natural instinct. If anyone deserves a "Shame on you" it's the stepfather that's holding this child against international law, and it's you– the childless idiot who really doesn't understand how important our children are to us. You should probably not have children.

June 16, 2009 at 3:59 pm |
  38. John

Its amazing how easily some will belive the lies put forth by that Brazilian family. Your own courts proved that all of those were lies and forgeries. Not only should Sean be returned but the all family members involved should be placed in jail. Then again, from the coments I have seen here from Brazilians im not too surprised nothing has happened to them.

June 16, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  39. Denise

Concerned – David started his legal battle in 2004 – right after Sean was taken. Educate yourself.

June 16, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  40. Janet

I am from Canada, and support David fight. The U.S. is Brazil's largest Importer. There are also many U.S. companies that import many of their raw materials from Brazil (sugar, cocoa....)

An organized boycott could affect many large American Companies.
    Many of those products then get imported to countries like my own.

June 16, 2009 at 3:58 pm |
  41. Pippa

Tanya Evans is repeating practically verbatim the majority opinions in the Brazilian press – leading me to believe that she is Brazilian herself. That's not a crime, but for a country that's only just shedding its reputation as a haven for European bank robbers, retired Nazis and such, it's certainly working hard to become the nation of official kidnappers.

I can imagine how the Rio family is 'working' on the poor boy with the mantra of the Brazilian higher class. That his house in the US won't have a pool or a maid, he won't go to beaches on weekends, he'll freeze in winter and grow fat eating burgers and so on. That's why they call the real father selfish. After all, who would want to leave their sybaritic life to 'suffer' in America. Except that if it was the other way round, the uproar would be about America throwing its weight around and stealing their children with impunity.

Tanya Evans, ask the 8 street kids assasinated (by the police) in front of Candelaria cathedral if Brazilians love all children – or just the rich ones. Every one deserves to grow up in the loving care of their own parents.

June 16, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  42. Lisa

I have been following your story closely David and I am embarassed that the U.S. will not do more for you. I have been a single mom for 29 years, my kids father has chosen not to have anything to do with them. You are a wonderful dad and you deserve to have your son back! I wish you all the best and I am confident you and Sean will be together soon, I won't stop praying for you!

June 16, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  43. hope for sean

I dated a brazilian woman for three years. this is exactly why I would not marry and subsequently have children with her. I wouldn't have put something exactly like this for a second. it looks to me like the only reason david has a shot a getting his son back is that the woman died. not the typical scenario in a situation like this.

moral of the story – buyer beware. when dealing with a foreigner, you are playing with two sets of rules. and more than likely both sets are not the order and structure of the US. brasil is not even a third world country but this doesn't surprise me for a second.

June 16, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  44. Mom of 4 In Texas

I personally am starting a campaign on Twitter/Facebook and wherever else I can to help this Dad reunite with his son. This is a poor excuse for justice! This child has RIGHTS, he is a US citizen! I am baffled that the goverment has not sanctioned this ridiculous excuse of a country.

I am only 1 person but if this FATHER can get up everyday and continue his FIGHT I will be doing my PART! How he can keep going is amazing! I watched on tv when he flew to Brazil and was told in the hotel room he would have to fly home without Sean. It broke my heart. Please cehck back for the twitter info.

Letter writing campaign, email, fax whatever it takes. If we can save the trees and the Barton Springs Salamander then I say Texans / Americans lets get together and save this little boy!

June 16, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  45. Debra

They need to pass a law that a child can not travel overseas if they have a foreign parent. . American parents married to foreigners need to be cautious and forbid their children to travel overseas if they ever hope to see them again.

June 16, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  46. Carmen

David, you deserve your son back, morally, legally and just because it is the right thing. I hope and pray you get your son back soon. VERY SOON!. Take care and keep praying as we are praying for you!

June 16, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  47. J

Need a hit man ? not serious but best of luck to David.

June 16, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  48. a father

as a father I feel for you, I would have gone there kick some ass and bring him back no matter what..... Keep your head up They day will come when you will be with him again, And when he gets older he will know how much you had to fight for him to get him back and it will show how much love you have towards your son

June 16, 2009 at 3:54 pm |
  49. B Jeezus

If that was my son, I would have been down there long ago with guns blazing on anyone who stood in my way of my getting him back. Outrageous.

June 16, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  50. Isabel

Tanya Evans: I am glad to see how passionate you are about this case. Maybe that will help you understand why we (the supporters of David and Sean) are so passionate as well. Before posting you need to get all the facts straight. To each statement you have made there are court documents proving exactly the opposite. Court documents from BRAZILIAN courts.
    It appears that you have an animosity towards men in general who want to be fathers to their children. Is this founded by a personal experience of yours?
    Most importantly you must understand that David has not just come out of the woodworks to claim his son after Bruna's death. He has been fighting this battle since June 18th, 2004. As far as Bruna's reasons go, we only have to look as far as her documented statement in court. She claimed that David is a great person and wonderful father. She said this under oath. No LOVING mother should be allowed to rip her child from its environment without trying to work things out first. She admittedly had never attemted this step, but skipped it right to taking Sean with her to Brazil.
    So who's selfish now???

June 16, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  51. Elizabeth

David, it is not a fair fight – we all understand it, but don't give up on Sean.
    God bless you.

June 16, 2009 at 3:48 pm |
  52. MAX

will you have followed the law and the law did't help you , so my advice to you , find a mafia grope who can kidnap your son and bring him to the USA land then let the court of USA deal with it !!!

June 16, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  53. regie

I dont get it ?! our government during the Gonzales incident went in guns drawn to regain custody of Elian and return this child to a father back in his homeland with a similar situation all be it his mother didnt die during child birth. Why isnt this father getting his son back?
    just another incident and the pusification of America. Lord knows we cant let the world see us be agressive when it comes to these situations but when it comes to business (oil,and revenue) we dive in head first shoot first ask questions later. U.S.A. has done nothing but turned itself into the laughing stock again. All we need now is for PETA to start training suicide bombers and were done for !

June 16, 2009 at 3:47 pm |
  54. joseph

June 16, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  55. Yvonne

David, your son should be so proud to call you DAD. I wish you both all the luck in the world. You all are in my prayers. By the grace of God and all our prayers I know that you and Sean will be united very soon. Your story has really woken me up to realize that our children can be here today and gone tomorrow. I know that your son will be the pot of gold at the end your rainbow. God Bless You!

June 16, 2009 at 3:45 pm |
  56. Sherry

This is absolutely absurd! I cannot believe our "power" country cannot get this man his son back. Have we lost our backbone when it comes to demanding other countries abide by the law? Every day that goes by that this man misses his stolen son is a blemish on our country. We need to stand up and get this man his son and press charges on those people who continue to hold him hostage. Parents should not have to fight for years to get their children back! This country is behind him and want to see his son back in America.

June 16, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  57. Bethany

What is the most sad here is no matter what Sean will always have to carry this emotional damage that has been done to him. Its no wonder the courts are having a difficult time here, because what is right?

Sean should have been sent home to his father years ago, if he had been then the life he has in Brazil wouldn't exist and there wouldn't be so much conflict over sending him home to his father.

Sad fact is that now, no matter the choice, there will be damage. Rip him from his home now and give his father his rights or leave him in Brazil where he now leads a life? Its a sad, sad world. It angers me that this was allowed to go on for so long, now there isn't an out for the child.

I'm praying that god puts this child in the hands that will best help him heal, no matter what that means for his family in Brazil and his father in the US.

June 16, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  58. AKB

What is our President and Secretary of State doing about Mr. Goldman's situation? Surely they are putting pressure on the Brazilian government? What are they doing about all of the illegally abducted and held children?

June 16, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  59. Sarah M

Lully ... you're stand on this issue has empowered me! way to tell it like it is.

and Sara who has the info on David's abuse & wanting money, where did you get that from? I'm sure you witnessed this first hand right? i mean you must have to make such bold accusations and sound like Mr. Moron Evans

June 16, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  60. Alley

David, I am so sorry you have had to endure this. There is simply no way Brazil can justify not returning your son. We are all praying that Sean will be returned as soon as possible. Another moment is a moment too long. With prayers of many, justice will prevail. God bless you.

June 16, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  61. Justin

Here's the email to Brazilian Consulate. Email them and support David.

ambassador@brasilemb.org

We're all praying for you.

June 16, 2009 at 3:37 pm |
  62. Shirley

Hey Tanya,

Clearly, your frontal lobotomy was a huge success.

June 16, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  63. Pam

I hope David gets his Son back. Unfortunately, some countries do not have any legal agreement with USA for child abduction. So if the children are abducted by another parent and takes them to those countries, it'll be no way for American parent to see or hear from their children.

Another thing is if Sean has duo citizenship. For example, I am Thai, married my American husband. My children can have both Thai and American citizens. In this case, my children can live in both countries permanently and lawfully until they turn 18 since, by then, they'll have to choose just one citizenship. If Sean falls into this scenario, then the court in Brazil has a high chance to turn down the appeal because of Sean's Brazillian citizenship.

Another thing is about the marriage between David and his ex-wife, Bruna. If they were not legally marred in Brazil, Bruna was still legally single back then. Legally speaking, Mother does have more legal right in children than father, married or not. I think that is why Sean has been there for 5 years and David cannot do anything until Bruna died.

June 16, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  64. A. Staton

God Bless you on your journey to bring your son home. I pray that both of you will be reunited soon. Best of luck and I will keep the prayers coming for both of you.

June 16, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  65. curious

I was wondering the same thing, Alice.

"Why is itt that when a child is kept in Brazil after his mother dies, while the father is in the US, averyone wants him back in the US, but when a child is kept in the US, while his father is in Cuba, people think it would be bad to send him back to Cuba?"

June 16, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  66. Less Talk More Action

Time for Black OPS Delta Force to just "get 'er done."
    Money wasted on lawyers and due process could be put to much better use. Do governments wait 5 years to act in response to irrational ,illegal, and unjustified behavior?

My .02

June 16, 2009 at 3:34 pm |
  67. Loki

Wow! Talk about Karma! She takes the child to another country and alienates him from his father and then dies later on in childbirth. What goes around comes around!

June 16, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  68. David

Excuse me. I miswrote. I meant to say Brazil does not export enough product to the U.S. that a boycott would make much difference to them.

June 16, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  69. Wynn

I haven't been able to see my son in almost two years and have to deal with the courts in North Carolina to try to get the custody order enforced. I can't imagine how tough it is to keep going back and forth to Brazil... Best of luck to David and his son.

June 16, 2009 at 3:30 pm |
  70. Scott, FL

We need to get him back the same way they kidnapped him. He is an American citizen, go after him, take him, bring him back.

Diplomacy is being disregarded at this point, so show them our true strength.

This is an American child being held against his will. We are not doing everyting in our power or he would be back already. We are the most powerful nation in the world and can't manage to bring an American child back home. Very sad. I think someone needs to step up to the plate and start making demands.

June 16, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  71. Tanya

Well have we learned anything yet? Don't marry outside of the U.S. this is what happens it is very sad but other countrys are not like the U.S. We can't protect in another country!!!!!!!

June 16, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  72. Sherry A. Overton

My prayers are with you David. I have followed your story every since I first saw it on the news. I had always dreamed of visiting Brazil before I died, but you could not give me an all expense paid trip for even (1) day since this story broke. I have (3) beautiful grandsons and if anyone tried this with any one of them I would hire someone to go there and kidnap them. I would advise everyone to ban ever going to Brazil, buying anything made there, and the US Government to stop trading with this very country. I wish you all the luck and I wil continue to pray for you and Sean everyday.

June 16, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  73. David

This is a game that plays out throughout the world. Brazil does not boycot enough product to the U.S. that it would be likely to make a difference. If, however, we sieze all Brazilian assets and embargo all of their products, that would get their attention. A similar plan for other so-called "friendly" countries that do that.

June 16, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  74. CeeCee D.

Tanya Evans – You are out of your mind. This child should have never been taken away from his biological father in the first place. It was the mother who was the selfish one. I was appauled when I read your comment.

June 16, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  75. mike schrya

to tanya you must a cold heartless person if you say child should stay in brazil what if that were your child. you should be locked up for even thinking like that

June 16, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  76. Flavia FC_FL

What's to celebrate here?

Give Sean back to his father David! It's shameful that Brazilian courts have allowed this travesty to go on for 5 long years!!!Enough is enough.

The stepfather, who's not a blood relative to the boy and does not even live where Sean currently lives – the so-called "Brazilian family" (maternal grandparents), should have the decency to plea with the grandparents to stop this nonsense and let the boy come back to his home in NJ. Ah, but he's not the one who's really fighting for Sean...it's the grandma, late Bruna's mother, who insists in keeping Sean alienated from his real father, from his "American family" (paternal grandparents), from his home in Tinton Falls. I guess she's suffering from amnesia, after all hasn't she forgotten that Sean was born here in the US? That her grandson lived 4 lovely years in the care of both David and her daughter? She even wants to rename Sean, to Joasinho. Give me a break!

I am lighting 5 candles tonight, for David and Sean, for all the years lost. I just hope I don't have to light another one next year.

Bring Sean Home and the other children held illegally in Brazil!!!

June 16, 2009 at 3:27 pm |
  77. Tanya Evans is fake

It's laughable to think that no matter how decent a man is relating to children and custody, there is always some anonymous feminist loony ready to cry "abuse" because they have no rationale argument as to why a father should be kept from his child.

Every father is not abusive. Is every mother child support hungry?

June 16, 2009 at 3:26 pm |
  78. Cheryl

This is insane! He should return to his natural Father immediately. My prayers are with you and your son David.

June 16, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  79. Steve

This is tragic, but unfortunately it happens here in the US also. My son was taken from me in much the same manor, games & lies in court and those games kept me from him for over 12 years. Now that he's 18, we are trying to make the best of it, but he was denied his father;'s influence, love and affection. Those years and the bond we had are all gone, we only have the pieces left. I pray that you get our son back before it's too late and before he's an adult. God Bless

June 16, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  80. Suzan Friedland

I have been following this injustice for a while now and I hope for both you and YOUR son's sake that he is returned very soon to you. I can not even imagine what you have gone through! What are his maternal grand parents thinking!!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Suzan

June 16, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  81. Luiz

Renee Lucas,

I have no idea why you asked me to read judge Pinto's ruling, which I did some two weeks ago when it was made available in Veja's site. The Brazilian family has indeed lied in many respects, I do agree with that!

June 16, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  82. Jeff

David I am preying this fathers day will be a day you will be reunited with him I know as a father when I had some one try to rip my daughter away because they said all people with mental health disorders are abusers even after she was only 3 days old and still in the hospital, so I know it must be heart wrenching to sit there day after day , but remember to those of the lord his justice is his and his alone and he seeks the best for his children so look at it as this brazil has already now made global outcrys so his justice will be served and you will be reunited

June 16, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  83. Kathleen

This is absolutely outrageous. That boy should be with his biological father. The "stepfather" has no claim on him. How in the world has this been allowed to go on so long? I cannot believe that anyone would say that Mr. Goldman is out for money and/or attention. He wants his son. I cannot imagine his desperation. The government has to do something about this whenever and wherever it occurs.
    This is very frightening.

June 16, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  84. angel

David, everyone is routing for you, keep fighting to get your son back.

June 16, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  85. angel

Tanya Evans, you need to crawl back under the rock you came out of. This little boy was kidnapped out of the USA, and brought to Brazil. The biological father is a good person and had a very good relationship with his son. There is no mention of child abuse or anything that should say this little boy should stay in Brazil. Sean belongs with his biological father end of story. Shame on Brazil courts system and how they exploiting this issue. Good luck David USA is routing for you to get your son back. Tanya do state your opionion your an idiot

June 16, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  86. Gloria

Mike: "What a coward of a President we have". Hmmm, Obama's been in office for what...6 months and this man's battle for his son has been going on for 5 years. Do the math, idiot. The coward of a president was Bush for 4 1/2 years!! I do not understand why people think they have to bring politics and/or Obama into every stinkin' subject there is, especially the conservative right! Is there any subject that you guys don't try to drag "liberals" into or Obama bashing?

June 16, 2009 at 3:15 pm |
  87. Angry

This whole thing is unconscionable. I think Mr. Goldman needs to hire Blackwater to repatriate his son and "mop up" the opportunistic meddlers who made this mess.

June 16, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  88. brazilian

Please don't make this personal, just because his wife did something really wrong, it doesnt mean that all brazilians are bad or don't care about child rights or anything else.
    This boy needs to come back to the US, he is american not brazilian.
    My country has beatifull and ugly sides to it just like everyone else's..
    Don't judge the whole population because one person, did something stupid!

June 16, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  89. dan

I hope it's especially hot in whatever part of hell that Bruna is in today....

June 16, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  90. angel

What Brazil courts are doing is an outrage to all parents that have there children abducted to other contries. I understand this little boy is living with his stepdad and half sister. No one is saying that he should not still be part of there life however the biological father has rights which were never revocked or taken away. What his late wife did was against the law and wrong. You know who suffers is the little boy. The step father should not fight this matter. My thumbs go up to the biological father. Keep fighting until you get your son.

June 16, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  91. PMAN

Hey Tanya Evans...

I guess you don't have children. If you do, maybe someone should abduct your child to a foreign country and then never return them and the country's courts uphold this crime. It is a crime, no matter what way you look at it. It was a crime when his wife was still alive and is a crime now.

David Goldman has been fighting since day 1 to have the child returned. There are facts, reports and court documents to prove this. Just because his wife no longer wanted to be married doesn't mean she has a right to determine custody and stop a father from seeing his son. If there was something more going on, like you are hinting at, which we have no factual information about, then she should have followed the proper procedures. There was nothing else going on, just a parental child abduction which happens daily in the US and other countries harbor these criminals!

You need to get a clue! You obviously haven't read all of the facts on this case because Sean is not in a good place with a good life! AND...what has occurred is illegal and this boy NEEDS to be returned to his father who has been fighting for him since day 1!

Good Luck Capt David Goldman! The entire fishing community, especially those from Monmouth and Ocean Counties in NJ are praying for Sean's safe and speedy return to you. We will not stop our fight until he is home!!

June 16, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  92. Jo

This is very sad for the little boy and for the father.

Let us hope that the step-father is a good man who is treating the boy well. It is possible that the boy has a decent life, although I still think he belongs with his father in the U.S. since he was illegally taken in the first place.

Let us remember in your prayers all those children who are kept from a parent – whether because of abduction to another country or state, or whether by a manipulative parent who is lying to the system to deny the other parent rights. This happens all the time.

My prayers go out to this boy, father, and step-father.

June 16, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  93. sue

Luiz and Tanya are freinds or family members of the kidnapping family in Brazil. Pay no attention to them, they just try to spread lies wherever they can. Sickening.

June 16, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  94. Denise

Bottom line – Brazil is holding Sean in violation of the Hague Treaty. All the appeals in the world can not change the fact that David Goldman is Sean's only surviving parent. Sean was born in the US, has a US birth certificate and lived the first four years of his like here.

Records prove that David has fought from day one to get his child back in his country of origin. It's time for Brazil to honor the document they signed.

June 16, 2009 at 3:05 pm |
  95. Tom

Tanya Evans, Are you insane?

June 16, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  96. Concerned...

My question is if he wanted the child wouldn't he have been fighting for custody from the beginning when she 1st took him away??? why has he waited so long?... and if there was abuse the child should stay where he is, in a safe environment. If that was NOT the issue the child should be with his father...hard one...

June 16, 2009 at 3:04 pm |
  97. Kay

David,
    Don't give up! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. God sees the injustice these people have caused you and he will intervene. Have faith. The fact that you have spent all of these years fighting is proof that you love your son and deserve to have him back. If only other fathers demonstrated their love for their children, the way you have, this world would be a better place.

June 16, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  98. Chris

Unbelievable how Brazil has no regard for the law (let alone common sense!). Every American should boycott Brazil. What a shame that this child is being raised in this third world country.

June 16, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  99. lostson

Dave, God bless and will pray for you. You have a battle ahead as most courts including ours are negated the fundamental rights that male have over their children. You are an example to other like me: a warrior father who does not give up even though doors shut in front of your face. "You will reap what you sow", with your love, tenacity the quest for justice and the American family behind you (with our prayers to God) you shall prevail.

June 16, 2009 at 3:01 pm |
  100. Crow

Tanya Evans: Sean was abducted. Stolen.
    A father's heart broke and continues to break as this process continues. Sean didn't chose to go with his mother and stay in Brazil Sean didn't chose to stay in Brazil. A man with no legal authority or authority under whatever religious belief you believe in, made stole this child and continues to withold him from his rightful father. A father who loves him; a father who wants to be in his life and help Sean grow into a good man.
    Mr. Goldman did not abandon him or give him up for adoption or get the mom pregnant and abandon her...he chose this chiild and to be in this child's life...Sean's life...he had this child, raised this child and HIS child was taken from him by a shelfish woman and a man who has no legal right to him.
    I ask you one question, Ms. Evans: What would you do if someone took YOUR child...?

June 16, 2009 at 3:01 pm |