American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 26th, 2009

'King of Pop' Michael Jackson is dead

Entertainer Michael Jackson died after being taken to a hospital on Thursday having suffered cardiac arrest, according to the Los Angeles County Coroner's office. Getty Images

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) - An autopsy on entertainer Michael Jackson has been scheduled for Friday and results are expected by afternoon, according to the Los Angeles, California, coroner's office.

The "King of Pop," who was preparing for a comeback tour, died Thursday at age 50.

Jackson, under apparent cardiac arrest, was taken from his home by paramedics to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, where a team of physicians tried to resuscitate him for more than an hour, said Jackson's brother Jermaine. He said the music idol was pronounced dead at 2:26 p.m. (5:26 p.m. ET).

Another one of Jackson's six siblings told CNN that he learned of Jackson's death through his manager, Frank Dileo.

"Frank told me that Michael last night was complaining about not feeling well. He called to tell him he wasn't feeling well," Marlon Jackson said. "Michael's doctor went over to see him, and Frank said, 'Marlon, from last night to this morning, I don't know what happened.' When they got to him this morning, he wasn't breathing."

Keep reading this story »

iReport: Share your memories of Michael Jackson

Filed under: Entertainment
  1. Dr. Potter P Kingsland, GA

As a boy growing up in Africa, My First love for America came because of Michael Jackson. My first words in English was learned listening to Michael Jackson. He was a family to me and an inspiration. I still play his songs in my car daily because they are timeless. I am hurting as if I have lost a sibling. I am a grown man and I am crying for you. Rest In Peace Michael, I love you forever.

June 26, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  2. Nicole

It's funny but the first time I remember hearing MJ was in 1998. I was 4, so unlike those lucky people of the 60's thru 80's I never really got to see him grow up I knew what was called the oldies. So, I remember my sister was in a dance class and they were teaching them the moonwalk so of course she had to come home and show off. Not only was I fascinated by the dance (I even attempted it at 4 and lets say it wasn't pretty) but my Dad and Mom began to play all his music and we sat there and 'danced'. That's a day I will never forget. R.I.P Michael.

June 26, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  3. Omar

During this time of mourning it is important to remember the good, and not the negative. Michael Jackson was first and foremost and a human being and like us all had his demons, weaknesses and was not perfect. It is the decent thing to do to think of what Michael has given us all in his lifetime, and for that we are indebted to him. Lets give him the respect he deserves, it would be in poor taste to speak ill of those that cannot defend themselves.

June 26, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  4. Charles

Are you really going to talk about Michael Jackson all day? I get that he was a pop icon, etc., ad nauseam, but there are also other things going on in the world: health care reform and Iran just to name a couple.

June 26, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  5. Patrick

It is so sad that both Michael and Farrah passed away yesterday. However we must all remember they both are in a better place now. Both will be missed and loved forever.

June 26, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  6. K.E. Camacho- Guam

He touched so many lives with his music...let him rest in peace. May God bless the Jackson family.

June 26, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  7. Sanela Ristic

I still can't believe that Michael Jackson is gone ... I use to listen to his music since i was a child i remember back in Germany me and my friends use to jam to his music we adored him so much ... There was only one of him and always will be .... MJ is eternal ! R.I.P. Michael Jackson ... WE LOVE YOU !!!

June 26, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  8. Kaylin

Its horrorible and i all prayers go tothe jackson family and he was role model to lots includeing me when i use to here abc and off the wall i sing to it 24/7 R.I.P michael jackson i love you always and for ever and im only 12

June 26, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  9. Sharon from Upstate New York

I remember seeing "The Jackson Five" on the Ed Sullivan Show for the first time when Michael was 10. My whole family was watching – I remember my dad saying what a talented kid and he was going to be successful. My dad was right. The music, the talent, the legend – what a loss. I've danced at parties and clubs to all his music. He will be missed – God Bless Michael.

June 26, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  10. Bily, New York

It is a very sad day. Who hasn’t danced on a Michael Jackson song or attempted the moon walk!? I understand how big this is, but what’s happening with the rest of the world this morning? Where are the other news on CNN today?

June 26, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  11. ROCIO

Michael jackson was a beautiful person in every way. I love all his music especially "Thriller,Billie Jean, and Bad"! His body may have left but his soul is still with us. Im really sad about the news but i'm still celebrating his life and career. I <3 MICHAEL JACKSON!

-ROCIO

June 26, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  12. Rhiannon

I grew up listening to Michael, When my 12 year old cousin Candice was killed back in 1996 by a motor bike that was speeding down a country road and hit her crossing the street! I tried to get her brother Allan who was 11 at the time to cry and let out his sadness, after a week of trying I played you are not alone and he went into his room and cried for days! That song will always be special to me with more meaning now and forever!!!
    I love you Michael <3 <3 <3

June 26, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  13. Dana

There are no words to describe the life and influence of Michael Jackson. People all over the world are crying because he was so much more than the King of Pop. Michael wanted peace all over the world, he wanted everyone to be happy and he loved life. It's so amazing to see one person be such an inspiration all over the world, to people who can't even speak the language, the rich, the poor, men, women, & children. Despite what has happened in his life, his true gift will always be with us. His music is indescribable to me, his vision of peace and his undying commitment to his fans. Everyone will be talking about all the gossip details of his life, but let's remember him for the amazing talent icon that he IS. It's still unbelievable he is gone.... "You are not alone, I am here with you" Love you Michael!!! You will always be with us!!

June 26, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  14. JEFF CHARRON

I THINK MICHAEL NEVER STOPPED BEING A CHILD IN SPIRIT AND THAT KEPT US ALL FEELING YOUNG WHEN WE LISTENED AND DANCED TO HIS MUSIC. IN THESE DIRE TIMES, WE ALL NEED A LITTLE BREAK FROM ADULTHOOD AND HE GAVE THAT TO US.

I ALSO THINK THAT HIS FAME, FORTUNE, AND KIND HEART, LED TO HIM BEING TARGETED BY SCAMMERS AND EVIL PORTRAYORS

June 26, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  15. Josh

An American Icon, A King of Pop music. All around the world this man has made fashion statements. Very Inspiring to many musicians. I remember listening to your eight track and playing Moonwalker on Sega Genesis. You will be missed by millions and I know you will be there when I get there. May God let you RIP.

June 26, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  16. Elizabeth

He was always the man of pop and we will always love you Michael Jackson

RIP Michael Jackson

June 26, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  17. Carmen Douglas

Thank you CNN for reporting on Michael Jackson's legacy. He was genius. His music will go on until the end of time. My sympathy to his family. We love you Michael. Rest in peace.

June 26, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  18. Charlie

With someone as dynamic and, well, frankly odd, as Jackson, people will have mixed thoughts, emotions, and reactions...I know, I am one of them. But what I choose to remember is that Thriller was the first dance I ever learned and then growing up, I knew every dance he ever did in a video. He inspired me to follow my passion and his work influenced my own. Beyond his dark moments and troubled times, what he did to the world cannot be dismissed or forgotten.

June 26, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  19. Keith Vozel

Come on already, he was a singer and entertainer. Get over it. I can't believe the coverage, has the rest of the world stopped? I'm just waiting now for President Obama to declare a National Month of Mourning.

Argh.

June 26, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  20. Whit

I understand why this is big news but I feel that it is rather insulting that they are not giving Farrah Faucet even five minutes. I think it is so important to cover her death too; she died of a very aggressive and rare cancer. Does that not warrant a little coverage? I just feel that they should do their 10 minutes or so on MJ and then MOVE ON. There are much more important things going on right now in the world.

June 26, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  21. MJfan

It doesn't matter how indifferent Michael Jackson was and what mistakes he made in life. We all made some mistakes and that doesn't make one worst than the other. The world has truly lost an icon and I myself have lost my favorite artist. Michael you will be missed dearly, but you legacy and music will live on. Rest In Peace Baby!!!

June 26, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  22. Donna

Although most of us in the world didn't know Micheal Jackson personally we are all saddened. I loved his music and was looking forward to his comeback, so may God bless him and his family.

June 26, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  23. Martha MJ Gould

I am deeply saddened by the abrupt departure of this phenomenal icon. He has touched the world through his music, his entertainment and his philanthropic efforts. He will be a tough if not impossible act to follow.

June 26, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  24. Mulan Jackson

I Will Miss Michael Jackson Forever
    I Lost a Huge Part Of My Life With His Death
    Music and Performance Will Never Be The Same For Me Again
    I Love You Michael

June 26, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  25. Christina

I'd love to see a news program that was brave enough not to devote the next few days to MJ. Sure, he had a huge impact on American music and pop culture and should be given a little attention, but I'm already sick of hearing about him! CNN, there are much more pressing issues in the world, please stick to what is truly important!

June 26, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  26. Melinda Stidwell Williams

Mourning the loss of Michael Jackson

As I sat in disbelief, I cried soft tears remembering the greatness of the golden years. More than a prince and greater than other Kings, the power of this being crossed the boundaries of all things.

A transcendent gift, a universal love, A life of duality, lived in both shadows and glare. One who sparkled so brightly it is no wonder that our white hot scrutiny would one day extinguish his flare.

So gifted and yet a gift. So loved but never known, forever a mystery for the world to behold. So misunderstood and perhaps led astray, but with his beginnings who are we to say.

The voice of an angel, now he out sings them too, Michael Joe Jackson we will miss you…

June 26, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  27. Mahasa

I feel he was my brother my best friend, I have lost something , something that I will never ever foget till I die, I will carry his legacy to my children and theire children...I have lost a piece of my soul....He is bigger than Elvis and his music will always live forever. At the age of 5 I became familiar with him and his music...He was and will always be my IDOL. I love you michael I never had a chance to say hi or even say goodbye....Love you and you will always be loved...I just wished that the world would appriaciate you more when you still were alive and I really wished that people would give you more credit for what you have created when you were still alive !!!! RIP I hope you are at peace now, because when you were alive it seemed you were very unhappy person. You will always be in my thoughts and heart forever !!!!

June 26, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  28. Howard Hanlan

This is Howard from Jamaica, Michael will be missed. He was so love by the people of Jamaica and the Caribbean. He has been such an inspiration to me all my life and to so many others. My love and thoughts go out to his kids and family.

June 26, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  29. Nelson

I truly hope in this tough and trying time for his family that his legacy is remembered as a musical genius. The man was brilliant in every capacity, and society will be hard pressed to find another one like. Remember a man, a father, a brother, a son, a Legend.

June 26, 2009 at 8:38 am |
  30. Dawn In Atlanta

Of course the media will devote so much time to MJ's passing.
    I think they wanted a break from covering the tragedy in Iran.

This coverage is good for ratings; that is what media is all about.

Thank God for the Internet; you know; Google, etc.

We can get more info on other events.
    We can turn off the TV

June 26, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  31. Jay T

Hey lady on CNN! Youre being really disrespectful to Michael!! Stop being so negative!!..this is a hard time for us al...and youre making it worse mentioning all of this about money problems....and the trial..he got through that, we dont care about that!! STOP IT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RESPECT THE KING AND LET HIM REST IN PEACE

June 26, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  32. roni

In light of this shocking loss, it is disturbing it see how some news casters on CNN insist on shedding negative light on one of the greatest and world renowed artists in the world and in our generation. The fact that some would like to elude that MTV was just making money off Michael Jackson seemingly dismisses, but cannot dare to stand in comparison, to the fact that Michael's talent and humaness is what allowed him to break through racial barriers; and he did it- and continues to do it till this day and inevitable forever. It's time to stop attempting to make race a reason to dismiss monumental achievement! The music industry maybe changing, but CHANGE has already begun in American and in the World!

June 26, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  33. Patrick Mourjan

The music industry has lost a legend. Michael Jackson was a blend of so many talents and a humanitarian. He will be missed. I am so disgusted by the media's reaction to his death. He is now a God when only a couple of days ago he was a monster. I don't have to wait for the result of his autopsy to know what killed this man, YOU DID, the MEDIA killed him. Shame on you!

June 26, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  34. Jay

I grew up listening to Michael, I really love all his songs, but the one that stands out for me is "BEN", which was also use in the movie Ben the story of a mouse and a little boy. May he rest in peace.

June 26, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  35. Howard Hanlan

This is Howard from Jamaica, Michael will be so missed. He was so love my the people of Jamaica and the Caribbean. He has been such an inspiration to me all my life and to so many others. My love and thoughts go out to his kids and family.

June 26, 2009 at 8:35 am |
  36. Tamara

It is truly sad about the loss of Micheal, but we should not be mourning over his death. We should, like most people are, celebrate what he has brought to us in his career. Unfortunately, I did not grow up with Micheal comming out, but I'm sure if I did, I would be in love with him as much as people are still today. It is a tragic moment, but we all know that "The King of Pop" will truly never die. I do enjoy his music myself, but again, I did not grow up listening to him. He truly is a remarkable icon in America, and always will be. Great going Micheal, and rest in piece.

June 26, 2009 at 8:35 am |
  37. Sharon

Oh, and as to the presumptions of cause of death... Yes, I do think that he bore great weights. Rx narcotics were a part of his day to day. I hope though that they don't let his children ANYWHERE NEAR JOE JACKSON. There was a lot of denial, and even Christ-like forgiveness in that DYSFUNCTIONAL family. Joe was STILL using Michael, even throughout his legal ordeals. Michael just still did not have it in him to make that man LEAVE HIM ALONE.

June 26, 2009 at 8:33 am |
  38. Dawn In Atlanta

John-Wesley,
    I agree with your comments on the Fair & Balanced stories.
    Farrah, Ryan and their children are just a controversial.

I am sad for all these deaths but I was taken back by how quickily the negative spin began on Michael.

The media could'nt wait to pounce on him before his body reached the morgue, yet they hold Farrah up like she was some type of Queen Mary.

He is not even alive to defend himself. It reminds me of Anna Nicole Smith except he had "real" talent.

All these people are human beings; people please stop worshipping them.
    Can't we celebrate entertainers' achievements without lifting them to these Idol standards?
    Why do we need to know where they eat, sleep use the bathroom, etc?
    I am about the same age as Michael and loved the Jackson 5 and loved to dance to their music as a child but I did not worship them.

Michael needed balance in his life but we do too!

June 26, 2009 at 8:32 am |
  39. gloria lewis

Let me first say i feel sad for him because if he had did his concert in london it would have help him deal with some of the demons we all have within us . I really want to ask the media kindly we all have demons it is obvious that he was fighting with his identity being black or white ,listen to the song man in the mirror .He prpbably was sucessful but because he was black he faced challenges that we as black people face .He probably only felt safe arounnd kids because kids dont judge you they do not care ,Think about those allegations and charges this really painted an awful picture of him ,but worst than than the public and the media concept of him ,the people he really love and trusted him when he was down never stood beside him .Some people trust people so much it hurts beyond beyound repair ,maybe that some of the issues he was dealing with .
    I sit here and i watch cnn and i tell you i am sad not for Michael death ,but the way we as people are .We speak from the mouth we have no love in the heart .Watch the songs he wrote look as the concerts he did to help the world .I cant watch we are the world and dont cry , i dont even understand how more people could love thriller more than we are the world .Do you know whats sad the media have no love this man has done so much for the world and the music industry everyone loves his much .I will never understand people in one tongue everyone speak s about how great he was in the flip of of a tongue we put his demons right behind it to cloud the good .
    It would have been so nice to give if nothing but one full day to only focus on his good what he has given us .Just imagine having one of your relatives dying and they made some mistakes in life in your time in mourning do you want to turn on the tv and see the negativity .I remembered the day my dad died on the islands ,in about 15 minutes our home was full they of people they never stop coming all day and night .Although my dad had his demons like everyone else i did not hear one bad thing said everyone was crying .The day of the funeral they were so many people at the funeral the church was full the church yard was full ,then to the grave site they were so many people an the site you could not park .They were even problems at the church as to who was going to carry the casket ,then to after burial celebration .
    Our belief that after death is you are going to heaven so it is suppose to be a sad because the body is gone but the soul lives on .Oh my good this was such a party we ran out of food and liquor . Like i said in all this time not a bad word about my dad .I am asking the media and the world kindly can we please leave the negativity for after the funeral i know you have to do your job but please please .We owe him and his family this much he touch everyones life all over the lets .Lets play we are the world and show the video .You the media had the power please you can do this thank you gloria .

June 26, 2009 at 8:30 am |
  40. RusRus

How many times can you rehash the same old crap about an overgrown child. Come on CNN I thought you were better than that, I guess I was wrong. You are really making me not want to listen to any MJ music ever again. The guy made music he didnt achieve world peace or anything insignificant like that.

June 26, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  41. mary brockenshire

So sad Farrah is gone now, she is an angel now in heaven.

June 26, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  42. Sharon

I am saddened by this loss for the world. However, I believe that Michael was pronounced dead at his house. I don't think he considered anyplace other than Neverland, 'home'. I was horrified to see that the LAFD would use ground transport for a critically ill man, yet Medivac the corpse to the M.E.'s . And, even shrouded, Mr. Jackson was so very, very small. I remember him. And I can smile.

June 26, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  43. mary brockenshire

The world will mourn Michael, he had such an influence on music in the 70's and 80's. He influenced many artists like Prince, Usher and Justin Timberlake. Many artists sang and performed his songs, Alien Ant Farm did his song Smooth Criminal, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. He will be missed, I feel for his mom, to lose a son, so sad.

June 26, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  44. RusRus

HELLOOOO, did the world just stop turning cause MJ is dead. LETS HAVE SOME REAL NEWS PLEASE. If you dont present real news by 9 am eastern standard time I am blocking CNN from my tv permanently.

June 26, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  45. munaza

michael was a star a legend a music icon...pls on this day all media should concentrate on his amazing musical carreer .....the legendary songs that were only his!!!!!!!!!
    i keep humming HEAL THE WORLD....and thinking when will we stop to be cynical and stop badmouthing people even on the day they die!!!!!!!!!
    for me he was one who rought the world together.....thank u michael....u will live on forever!!!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  46. Yeshiva

You know, I thought it was so incrediably sad when I had first heard the news of Farrah Fawcett's passing because I had truly hoped for the best of health. Also, as being a '80s Baby', as it were, and a female I grew up watching Charlie's Angel (reruns) and thinking what a kick-butt woman she was. She was simply so awesome. You'll be definitely missed. But I take comfort in knowing now you are God's Angel and you don't have to worry about the pains of sickness.

....however, to get the news of Michael Jackson literally only hours later was utterly too much for me and my heart. As far as artist goes, no one has ever meant so much to me and that I loved so much as I did with Michael Jackson. And certainly as an African American youth he was one of those people that showed me what one person could do to change the game on the entertainment industry and breaking the boundaries that so many other older African American artist struggled to do before him. For me, I'm still in a state of complete disbelieve.....I'm far more clear-headed about this than I was yesterday–as I think I just spent the entire evening balling my eyes out–but somehow, that still doesn't get over the numbness I feel.

I have been saddened by many enterntainers that have been lost in past, and have even shed tears for some (Tupac, Aaliyah, Bernie Mack come to mind, to name a few)....but nothing, NOTHING could have ever prepared me for this. I think, for the first time, I truly understand how diehard Elvis or John Lennon fans must have felt when they first heard the news of their deaths. Words can't even describe how sick I feel. Michael, you will be missed–you will be forever loved and your music shall leave a legacy that no one will ever trump. My heart and prayers go out to his family (and Farrah's as well).

June 26, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  47. RusRus

Ok so an overgrown man is dead, it has absolutely no effect on what is going on in the world, see North Korea, Iran, etc.

This guy is no different from a dozen other artists who's music I listen to,that have died.

I thought CNN was a news network not a rival to entertainment tonight. Seriously people, enough allready time to do what you are paid to do and cover real news.

How many times can you rehash the same old crap about the guy. Enough of this sensationalistic nonsense, please cover the REAL news. It will affect a whole lot more people in a much more serious manner than MJ's death will. He was just another overpaid entertainer.

June 26, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  48. Jodie

Please give the Jackson family some respect. Stop bringing up his legal problems right now even though he had these problems, so what, he was human. If it were you,you wouldn'nt want eveyone knowing your skeltons in your life. We all have them! Stop being judgemental only God has the right to judge Micheal. God loves and understands Micheal more, he's with God now. He was special and God gave him all of his magic to entertain the people of this world. But most of all the Love and Kindness we all need. HE WILL BE FOREVER MISSED!!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  49. Mark Palacios

I remember Michael Jackson when he came to Cleveland Elementary school in1989 after the shooting that killed five kids.He came to the school to lift the spirits up of the kids that were sadden.he handed out some of his music and talk to the kids and i just thought that was
    amazing because you just don't see that in celebrities.michael will be missed

June 26, 2009 at 8:16 am |
  50. Christin Hayward

To the people that posted remarks that CNN should covered other news beside Michael ... IT'S MICHAEL JACKSON, HE DIED the best performer of all time. If it was one of the beatles ... There wouldn't be a problem. Have some respect !!!

June 26, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  51. Lurain

Christin Hayward, i agree with you, his family is dealing with enough and knows everything that he has went through or did not go through, i don't think it's right to bring up a negative past, the family has more than enough they are dealing with right know!

June 26, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  52. Dawn In Atlanta

I do agree that Micheal Jackson's death, although tragic, should not dominate the news.

The Iran crisis still needs to be covered as well as other major events.

One question: the Iran crisis is horrible but I think our country is so hypocritical in some regards.

We are so outraged about Iran but who cares about the Darfur Crisis?
    This is a true genocide. I guess because thay don't have oil or weapons of mass destruction.

June 26, 2009 at 8:11 am |
  53. judith

ALL FANS,
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR REFUNDS FOR THE CONCERTS. INSTEAD COME TOGETHER ON THOSE DATES TO PAY TRIBUTE TO MICHAEL. HE NEEDS YOUR HELP NOW. THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO GIVE BACK TO A MAN WHO GAVE US ALL SO MUCH.
    PLEASE FANS AND LOVERS OF MICHAEL

June 26, 2009 at 8:10 am |
  54. John-Wesley

I am ashamed and disappointed in CNN for its coverage of the death of Michael Jackson. Last night I fell asleep listening to Anderson Cooper's passive aggressive speculation on the 'cause of death'. I awake and the first thing I hear is a CNN reporter talking about Mr. Jackson's debts. I MEAN REALLY; Did Michael owe Ted Turner or Time Warner.

This is a day to remember the greatest artists of the digital age and his life. I think CNN has deluded itself with its use of the term 'balanced reporting' because it is plain to see that you're simply going for ratings by wallowing in and rehashing controversy. Much of it settled by the way. He was acquitted!! You did know that ..RIGHT!!?

ps

Where is the 'balanced reporting' when it comes to Ms Fawcett? Where is the mention of her drug use? Her strange behavior that culminated in an appearance on the Letterman Show that caused concern for her from the general public and people that cared for her. What about Ryan Oneals drug use and his sons? Why the appropriate 'respect for the dead' for Ms Fawcett and the so-called 'balanced' treatment for Mr. Jackson???

June 26, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  55. Bob Eden

Enough of the tabloid journalism regarding Michael Jackson!
    Is it really necessary to inundate us with almost non-stop coverage about his passing?
    CNN and the other cable news networks always overdo reporting this type of news item. Simply report it and move on. Leave the tabloid coverage to the entertainment shows.
    He was an entertainer. Period. He was not a head of state. His death will not impact the world. It is not that earth shattering!
    I for one will not be watching any of the cable news shows this weekend because I've already had enough!

June 26, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  56. Woody Nelson

Michael recorded Say Say Say with Sir Paul McCartney , not Ebony and Ivory, remember Ebony and Ivory was Stevie Wonder, as your anchor Carol Miss Spoke

June 26, 2009 at 8:03 am |
  57. Jason Matot

First and foremost my deepest sympathy to the Jackson family. I am a musician by no means in the same genre as Micheal but I have to say that because of him I got into break dancing and music, no lie. I am forever a metal and hardcore rock fan but I can't deny I will always be a Micheal Jackson fan, he is the next Elvis. Peace and love MJ your fan, Jason. Who's Bad...

June 26, 2009 at 8:03 am |
  58. sunny

I had been singing "You're Just another Part of Me" all week. Little did I know that I was singing it for Mike. The world will miss this genius,this man. My Drama and dance students through the last two decades have viewed, "The Making of Thriller" video, when studyig make-up and special effects. A number of other videos were also assigned to study dance techniques. The world will miss him!

June 26, 2009 at 8:02 am |
  59. Alessandro Ramaldes

I agree with you Christin Hayward I dont think its is time to talk about his money loss or who will care his child, he had sufer his whole life with presure about his sexuallity and been acused to molest child, but i think now is the time to say thanks to him am give him our last moments before he go down the grave, but we cannt let his soul just go, cause it is all around us. the lost is hard but lets try be happy singing his song.

June 26, 2009 at 8:02 am |
  60. Sue Newbern

Michael Jackson "Thrilled" Us.

June 26, 2009 at 8:01 am |
  61. CORY HARRIS

EXCUSE THE TYPO(IN 1995 AND THEY KNEW IT)

June 26, 2009 at 8:01 am |
  62. Keisha

Michael jackson was not just a part of history but he made history, and I am disappointed that my small children will not be able to know the MJ that I grew up with.

Keisha

June 26, 2009 at 7:58 am |
  63. Maral Vartanian

I am very saddened by the death of Michael Jackson. Fame often comes with a heavy price... Often then none he was surrounded by few friends and true enemies. He may have seemed "weird" and our media did a great job of labeling him as such, but I saw someone who needed help, lacked love and someone who was trapped in a darkness that had developed since his childhood. Its sad, all the fortune and fame yet someone who seemed so "alone". I cant help but feel sad for Michael Jackson- Who was around him? Was he able to hear a loved ones voice when he took his last breathe? Was he at peace? Was he able to say goodbye to anyone that truly mattered ? Let this be a little kick in the butt, remember to tell the people you love that you love them. Life happens- in a blink of an eye without having a chance to say goodbye.... You will be missed MJ.

Thank you for all the beautiful music, creative videos, and making cds that were worth buying because he whole CD rocked and not just 1-2 songs!

My heart goes out to the Jackson children and family.

June 26, 2009 at 7:57 am |
  64. Lurain

I appologize for the name i meant Fawcetts' we keep Farrahs' family in prayer as well.

June 26, 2009 at 7:57 am |
  65. Christin Hayward

I wish CNN, the media will stop worrying about his money ,debts and the negative outlook, the media loved to talk about Michale Jackson, he died give him his family and fans the respect to celebrate his music. Haven't the media had enough of dragging his name through the mud! Stop focusing on the negative aspect of his life. Stop ... Show some respect Michale has died! Respect him! Respect his privacy of his life. All I been hearing is the negative aspect of his life. The media didn't give him privacy in life, least give him respect and privacy in death. Respect him !

June 26, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  66. thomas mckinney

He was greatest ever I love music and can't believe he is gone I thought he was untouched but I guess not their is ever going be another like him if it was not for there would be no ushur,chris brown or omorion u would be miss love always thomas

June 26, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  67. khan, R

I am very sad about the death of World Singer ‘King of Pop’ Michael Jackson. I think we all at one time enjoyed his concerts and music and we are deeply going to miss him. THE MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD LOVE THE MUSIC. Plz Every One, Pray For Him. Allah (God) Bless to Him.

From,
    Khan, R
    Bangladeshi &
    New York

June 26, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  68. sad and annoyed

Annoyed that your commentators this morning have big smiles on their faces as if Michaels death is an exciting happy event. While we all want to
    celebrate his life and career, it seems very inappropriate to be so flip and party like less than 24 hours after the passing of this great artist.

Additionally, the large CNN scrolling boxes at the bottom of the screen above the already annoying scrolling box at the bottom of the screen, are severely hiding the videos of Michael.

While I am at it, how about adding a little meat to your commentaries....like the empty words....Michael is outstanding, there will never be another performer like him, etc........how about more facts about how he changed the music world with his style, how he wrote most of his music, how his clothing and dancing changed music videos forever, and other points. And why the focus on his money, money, money.....do your jobs and bring your level of reporting up to the stature of this individual.

June 26, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  69. Dave

I am so glad to hear that Iran and North Korea have resolved their problems.
    They did resolve their problems didn't they? You guys haven't talked about them in almost a whole day!

June 26, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  70. nigel

asnother comment.
    i love the music you are all playing in tribute and poeple are playing it all over the world today.
    i just wanted to say can you imagine what the tribute concerts are going to be like and the stars in the music business that will be singing his songs and paying tribute it will be the biggest thing ever wow ,i cant wait for it

June 26, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  71. Bryan

It is truly shocking to loose Michael Jackson so suddenly; without warning. My thoughts and sympathy go out to his wonderful family. I agree that the music icon deserves to be well remembered and mourned, but I am quite disturbed at the unreasonable amount of coverage which has minimized other enormous events of the day. Michael was great at what he did, but was he really greater than Farrah Fawcett who also lost her life yesterday. In fact Farrah's story, especially at the end, is so inspiring; her spirit and fight have been unmatched. And then there are those who have lost their lives fighting for freedom in Iran. Is an entertainer, no matter how excellent, really more important than an ordinary citizen showing extreme courage who has been murdered in their pursuit of equality and freedom? I beg CNN, please mourn Michael, but please give equal time to Farrah and others.

June 26, 2009 at 7:50 am |
  72. Lurain

I just want to say M.J. was one of the kindest men in the music industry, many times people forget all the good one has done because day to day challenges we face. To the Jackson family and there closes friends I just want to let you know that you all will remain in my family and I prayers. Mrs. Fosters' family will also remain in our prayers! GOD BLESS!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 7:50 am |
  73. Curtis NC

Michael,was undoubtedly a very nice but naive man.He trusted to deeply in people particular,the america,he thought was there.His song it doesn't matter if you are black or white.Unfortunately it does to many people.His music went accross,racial lines,and he thought he,
    has crossed over,but after the molestation charges.He started to realize after the second set that everyone did not love him.And people in general even white ones are also bad very bad.He was the assumed King of pop,but not real royalt in many peoples heart.His treatment through these injustices,rewally broke his heart.He was avery damaged individual from his own child hood,trying to spread love to others through his good fortunes and people used him.To bad the love shown now was not shown,prior to now.It would have had a profound effect on him.

June 26, 2009 at 7:50 am |
  74. Aynur Walid

The Moonwalker died .. The King of Pop left the music world .. The Dancing Machine has just stopped .. Michael Jackson left his soul alive in our hearts .. I love you Michael Jackson and you are alive forever in my heart. Michael Jackson you are my inspiration for a 24 year-old girl who loves to live to listen to your music and look at you dancing, walking, smiling and saying I LOVE YOU,

Before I was born I was inspired by his songs, since age of 3 I was jumping up and down on his Thriller album, I loved him like a lover, I loved him through my 24 years of age, I am still shocked, I can't believe he's gone, I used to celebrate his birthday every year like it was mine, my wish was to see him live next month, the ticket I will never ask for its money back, I can't believe he passed away before I see him, I'm from Jordan, I was a faithful fan for all my life, I stood by his side in good and bad. Michael Jackson you are not alone you were never alone, faithful fans will remain true to you. I love you Michael Jackson though I can't believe the news yet and I couldn't close my eyes yet, I'm currently in Chicago now, I went out to the streets but I couldn't see any gatherings for his memorial, I felt alone walking out, I preferred to get back to watch CNN not to feel alone. I need to express my love for him, but how I have no idea..

MICHAEL JACKSON, YOU ARE MY ALL.

A faithful fan and lover,
    Aynur

June 26, 2009 at 7:49 am |
  75. Barbara Meyer

Normally, CNN is my most trusted news source, but I am deeply disappointed and ashamed of your choices in news coverage last night and this morning.

The death of a rock star is sad, and may be important to his fans for awhile, but certainly not to most of us, and it should not replace the coverage of the frightening events in Iran.

Shame on you CNN. Please, please, PLEASE drop the endless inane and identical quotes from celebrities and tell us what is happening to the protesters in Iran.

June 26, 2009 at 7:48 am |
  76. SHERIL SNIDER

HIS MUSIC MAKES ME ME SMILE I DID NOT KNOW HIM BUT HE STILL WAS PART OF MY LIFE THROUGH HIS MUSIC ALWAYS A FAN SHERIL SNIDER

June 26, 2009 at 7:48 am |
  77. Linda

I want to give my deepest smypathy to the Jackson Family about their loss. On the otherhand I feel that CNN and many others have made light of the fact that another icon passed on yesterday as well, Frrah Fawcett. Why are we not seeing clips of her life?

What about other world and local news that needs to be reported.

June 26, 2009 at 7:47 am |
  78. Sue Newbern

In Remembrance of Michael Jackson"

He thrilled us.

June 26, 2009 at 7:47 am |
  79. Kelly Crutcher

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, as well as the families of Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcett..

June 26, 2009 at 7:46 am |
  80. sharon bogney

Let's not forget the fact that Micheal was a guy who really never had a childhood; some say he became weird in his later life, but let's be honest, if we where trust in the same position where we never had a chance to play like normal children, but work and keep on working, i know we will not be sane. i want to believe that he became a genius, a legend because of all that he went through in life. he made music with every part of his body. Michael rest in peace and may that love that you really sort for in this life find you in the after life.

June 26, 2009 at 7:45 am |
  81. Alessandro Ramaldes

Well i just want in this little space tell how much i love michael and how big he was in my life. everything I have a can tell you he have a big influence, I am who I am cause i grow up listen his som but not only it I get the real sense in his words : heal the world, make it a better place" thanks michael you really did the world a little bit a better place and i hope the people keep doing it.

June 26, 2009 at 7:44 am |
  82. Jeresica

I would like for everyone to remember the little boy who went on to become a teenager and then an adult who for over 40 years who made people happy through his music and bought all races creeds and colors together. This was a man who had so many road blocks that he had to stop for but he never gave up and neither did the people because they loved him for his music and didn't turn away from him when trouble set in. We have lost 3 ICONS this week and the world is a little less empty. God bless the families of all 3, and Micheal i will always remember you and the man in the mirror!!!!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 7:44 am |
  83. Toronto-Canada.

I am STILL crying over Micheals death.its just so hard to accept.i feel like a family member has passed away.its one of those things you would never imagine happening but when it does you're just like in utter shock.all we can do is pray for him.and celebrate his life.The world misses you micheal and We'll always love you!!.
    rest in peace.Gone but never everrr forgetten.

June 26, 2009 at 7:42 am |
  84. Ali Azimi

Michael Jackson, what can i say? theres so much to say... The man who changed music completly, and went through a journey that we all know. The small kid from indiana who formed a group with his brothers, which later got siged by mo-town records, to that small kid growing up making singles that everyone can sing on spot, and gaining the name "The king of pop". Having the most sold album of all time is just remarkable, and amazing. You wanna know how much of an effecr michael jackson has had on the world? Go to china or kazakstan, and ask a local if they know who 50 cent is. then after that, ask if they know who michael jackson is. im sure the answers will tell for themselves, and thats really what michael has done to the world. Im gonna miss him, he did so much to me, as i remember dancing infront of my tv being 4 years, and trying to be like michael, and now just listening to his music brings so many memories and joys. i thank you michael for what you have brought us, becuase no one will ever bring the feeling, and popularity that you did, and you making the sickest jams to dance too!! RIP Mike. 🙁

June 26, 2009 at 7:41 am |
  85. H. Kabir

R.I.P. You will be missed but never forgotten. Your name will live on forever and inspire many generations to come as it has the last 40 years. Love u and miss u.

June 26, 2009 at 7:41 am |
  86. Kandy

I don't think you should keep on with all of the ridiculous things Michael was accused of because they were vicious lies. I wish the news wouldn't speak so ill of the dead. Michael was a hero nothing less.Let's remember him that way.

June 26, 2009 at 7:41 am |
  87. monique anderson

Michael Jackson will truly be missed but he will live on through his music,Michael has been a lot to many people. He broke barriers that we as African American thought would never be broken. I am truly sadden by his death.

June 26, 2009 at 7:40 am |
  88. Tamara Toronto Cananda

I am devestated.... words cant decribe what i feel what my family feels by this sudden and tragic loss. Michael was the greatest entertainer the world has ever known..... people around the world loved him....even if you couldnt speak english you knew all the words to Michaels songs..... the world juss simply wasnt ready to say goodbye to him....but now we have to.......
    Michael is now at peace and will never have to feel pain again...now he can be free..........I love you Micheal one day i pray we will meet ..... you never can say goodbye!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 7:40 am |
  89. Melissa

Yes the passing is very sad as he had a great following of fans and has a large family and children who will morn his death but why are we allowing his death to over shadow the death of two other legendary people who truly deserve a lot more respect then Michael Jackson? Farrah Faucet and Ed McMann are also two people that have passed away and those two are not under the shadow of the many legal issues that Micheal Jackson faced, although he was acquitted the suspicion will always be there.

Rest in peace to all three

June 26, 2009 at 7:39 am |
  90. Kelly Columbus, Ohio

Michael Jackson is the most brilliant, entertainment genius to ever live. A black man that was the most famous person to walk the earth since Jesus. He is even more famous than the mother of Jesus, and Elvis couldnt lace his shoes. Michael we will miss you. RIP.

June 26, 2009 at 7:39 am |
  91. Philip

It is always sad when anyone dies, but for CNN to devote ALL of it's coverage to nothing but MJ is absolutely disgraceful for a NEWS organization. I watched CNN for 3 hrs. last night and other than Larry King (which I understand devoting his show to this subject) there was NOTHING else mentioned. Farrah Fawcetts death got nothing but a passing comment. Is there NOTHING ELSE happening in the world or is this just a blatant ratings grab? SHAME on you CNN!! I expected better.

June 26, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  92. Becky Johns

Irregardless of his alleged transgressions he was and will always be an icon. He changed music forever and is a part of history immortalized through his music.

June 26, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  93. Dawn In Atlanta

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

I am a few years older than Michael Jackson and grew up in Michigan, the home of Motown Records.
    I was in love with the the Jackson 5; they are part of my generation.

I don’t think he was that complicated. It seems that his identity was tied to his celebrity; he needed balance in his life.

He and his brothers were so famous, on the level of Elvis Presley and the Beatles.

As Michael beccme older, his popularity started to fade so he changed his appearance in order to re-invent himself to be at the top.

He never had a “normal” childhood so his only identity was with his fame.

I hope parents, especially learn a lesson from this; stop treating your children like “Cash Cows”, trying to make them famous for your own benefit.

His song/video Thriller was best selling but he also later became a Jehova’s Witness and wanted to distance himself from that image.
    He even placed a disclaimer at the beginning of the video stating just that.

People feel so tied to his music because he was talented and music transcends all areas of our lives; language, race, religion & economic levels.

Please don’t worship him, lets mourn him, not become absorbed his death and move on.

June 26, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  94. Cals

Diane Diamond? You guys are pathetic! Why don't you bring on Michael Jackson's accuser today to remember him as well?

June 26, 2009 at 7:37 am |
  95. sunny

Michael gave all he could to the world:saved a failng MTV, taught us to dance,taught us to sing,taught us to give to the poor and downtrodden uplifting them with finances and insiration. It is quite sad that the right people were not around to give him the same in his greatest time of need. We'll never see another talent like his.

June 26, 2009 at 7:36 am |
  96. Katherine

I cared about this for about 10 minutes. It's been on the news for 2 days straight now. Has the world gone on hold for michael jackson's death? Have the protestors in Iran stopped to mourn his passing? No! Move Michael aside and broadcast important news.

June 26, 2009 at 7:35 am |
  97. Cals

Michael Jackson set the bar for all artists – music videos, publicity, humanitarianism. He did it FIRST. You guys can cool it with your negative reporting that followed him to his death. Now is NOT the time. He was never convicted, and that is NOT his legacy. So, give it a rest CNN and every other news organization that should be ashamed of how you covered him all the way until his death. Now you are getting a "clue." Too bad he isn't alive to see it.
    Michael Jackson...God given talent, a historical figure in our time.

June 26, 2009 at 7:33 am |
  98. tomeka

I hate Cnn. My friends and family always asked me why i watch your station and now i know i will never again watch you. the reporter that interview Uri Geller did not want to hear anything good said about Micheal Jackson after his death she just wanted to hear about the sick rumors and innuendo put on Micheal. CNN you are sick and I or my children will never watch you and I will make sure that my loved ones will know about this racist network. Where if you are black and acquitted you will still not get your fair shake. Down with AMERICAN MEDIA. YOU GUYS ALL DOOMED TO FAILURE!!!!!!!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 7:30 am |
  99. Sherry

While I mourn the death of a great talent in Michael Jackson and wish to send my sympathies to his family, I can't help but be shocked that THIS is the ONLY news happening in the world today. Did the Iranian voter conflict suddenly get resolved or the issues with North Korean threatening the US get resolved? I saw "briefly" yesterday, that Farrah Fawcett passed away and while Michael Jackson WAS an icon, I feel that Farrah's death was completely overshadowed by the Jackson coverage. I am amazed that the mainstream media seems to have tunnel vision and can ONLY report on one issue at a time. I have seen virtually nothing else coverered on the news since Jackson's death was first reported, especially on CNN. Sadly, Michael Jackson is just another major news event away from being totally forgotten, just as Farrah Fawcett was and the voters in Iran. THAT is the real tragedy.

June 26, 2009 at 7:25 am |
  100. nigel

im not sure maybe you can clarify for me.
    i thought that micheal wanted to be frozen when he died,is this not true?
    and if it is true how can an autopsy be done?

June 26, 2009 at 7:14 am |