American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 26th, 2009

We Listen! Your comments 6/26/09

Editor's Note: American Morning’s Friday audience mourned the untimely death of Michael Jackson. Many shared their memories of “The King of Pop,” and expressed their condolences for his family. Others speculated on the cause of his death, and wondered about his estate and pending financial issues.

• John: WOW! The death of Michael Jackson yesterday was a surprise, guess I found out what it means to be in shock because it seemed like a dream until I woke up today and now it is upsetting. I am a 38 yr old man whom I grew up listening to Michael Jackson and even did breakdancing with some of his songs! Now I understand how the Elvis Presley fan felt! What a shock and terrible trajedy
  • Mary: The world will miss Michael Jackson, he had a tremendous influence on pop music of the 70's and 80's, he was a music icon. He influenced artists such as Usher, Prince, Justin Timberlake and many more. He will be sadly missed.
  • Jina: MJ was the greatest entertainer of all time. But, lets not forget how great of a humanitarian he was. Lets remember him for that too.
  • Kristen: Michael was a great man even though he had troubles in life he still made a lot of people happy.REST IN PEACE MICHAEL!
  • Dawn: I am a cnn diehard. It's like my daily fix but aside from the election of Barak Obama nothing you have broadcast to date has affected me this much. The passing of Micheal Jackson, has left me broken. I hardy slept last night. I am in complete shock. He was a part of my childhood that I cherished deeply. I will never forget him.
  • Antonio: We can never replace Michael Jackson. We can continue his legacy throughout his music! He will be dearly missed! In my opinion, we should have treated him better when he was alive! Listening to the King of Pop made me immediately dance and he put a smile on my face. We should have taken the time to properly understand him. Rest in Peace, Mike!!!!!!!!
  • Bernadette: I would like to add some thoughts about Michael Jackson. He was used by his father and handlers. He was allowed to have a normal childhood thus the behaviors as he grew older. He had a plastic surgeon who should have had his license to practice taken away. He was a genius in his music, but oh so deprived in life. May God rest his soul.
  • Irma: Never has the world seen a musical genius like Michael Jackson. Never will the world see his type of genuis and legendary status again. He was truly the "King of Pop"! I am fortunate to have experienced his majic and I will always have a fondness for the boy star that I fell in love with as a child. My most sincere sympathies and condolences to MIchael's family, friends, and all his adoring fans. Farewell Michael. You will never be forgotten.
  • Kim: I am so saddened by Michael Jackson's death. I was truly a fan of his and he will be so missed. I remember when I was 21 years old back in 1986, as I would get ready to go out on a date w/my husband, I would listen to Michael Jackson's song PYT Pretty Young Thing. I played this song over and over again. My husband and I would go to dance clubs and would dance to his songs. It was such a wonderful time. And, finally he came to Richmond a few years later and I went to his concert. It was unbelievable. He was definitely one of a kind. And, despite all the weird stories everyone has heard about him, you can't take away the fact that he was and still will be the King of Pop. I love you Michael. Rest in peace.
  • Desiree: I can't believe that Mj's gone. To everyone it a shocker. Just like Elvis King of Rock&Roll. Mj's music will live on and on has the King of Pop. With trying to make a better places. I'm only 16 and when i was 9 my first Cd was Thiller and i got 2 more Cd's cause i love music and him every since huge fan and always will to everyone he will be.R.I.P Micheal Jackson.

Share your thoughts on the passing of Michael Jackson.

Filed under: We Listen
  1. Jerry Rome Bass

Is doctor assisted suicide legal in California ? Did MJ have Life Insurance worth millions to be paid to the family that will be void ? If as I believe MJ died with a doctors assisted suicide. The hand writing is on the wall, the way I see it. The nurse told him that Diprivan would kill him, and he wanted it anyway. And my local Houston TV news reports that doctor as a pill dispenser. His Houston office is nothing more than were you go get you'r prescription drugs.

July 14, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  2. Bernice

Well Chris. What an interesting statement that you had posted! I applaud you! Someone speaks and is understanding some truth! I have been keeping a very close eye on the current events in our own country, and have come to be worried that what you have just written, will soon be taking place right here in the USA! I have thought this for some time as each right that we have (had) we no longer can seem to enjoy. Our own president asked for a term of 40 years! I think that this progressive worldwide government is tryin to accomplish a worldwide "take over". The people should, I beg you, pay close attention to what is going on aroung you. I would hate to see us, as a people, lose our country. Everything is changing much too quickly around us to even be able to keep up with anymore. Thanks to places like cnn, we can try to. Lets not lose our freedoms here! Maybe hondoras did the right thing after all. Maybe we would, being put in that similar situation. And, yesenia, don't give up the fight!! I have always opposed prohibition! A theft of a freedon that noone relly ever had the right to take! Interesting though, isn't that what we were talking about in some strange way?? Our government really is not there to do these kind of things against its people! Are they? I think, no country should be able to change thier 4 year term, to a 40 year term, without a COMPLETE vote of its people! That is democracy!

June 30, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  3. yesenia

i say the united states legalize's marijuana!

June 29, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  4. Chris

As a Honduran, I humbly ask that the media get their facts correct. What happened yesterday was NOT a coup. It was the destitution of a president who had consistently violated the law. The military acted on orders from our Supreme Court and now congress has named a their president (from the same party as former president) to be our president. We had to go to those extremes as former president planned to re-write the constitution to his likings and re-elect himself. We don't want Chavez or his friends anywhere near Honduras. Long live Honduras and the democracy!!

June 29, 2009 at 9:56 am |
  5. LaDonna

I too am shocked and saddened by the passing of music icon Michael Jackson. I pray his family finds comfort in the outpouring of love and grief the world is displaying. However, it feels as if CNN has become ETV. A disturbing trend that seemed to start with now forgotten Britney coverage. Surely, CNN, there are more important things happening in the world that we do not need 24/7 covereage of Michael's death. Let him rest, please, and give us our news.

June 29, 2009 at 8:30 am |
  6. Randy Griesinger

To: Kiran Chetry
    Subject: Michael Jackson & CPR.

I was in the medical field for 27 years including stints as an Army medic and an Emergency Room Technician in a hospital. Anyone who has taken CPR is taught the following:
    When it is determined that CPR is necessary, the patient is taken to the floor 1st. It doesn't matter if the person is sitting in a chair or laying in a bed. Chest compressions must be performed straight down @ 1.5 inches on an adult at the correct ratio to breathes given and the correct location on the sternum. The heart compression is against the spine. If the doctor was truly alone /w Jackson, he should have called 9-1-1 FIRST!
    The doctor's technique for CPR was totally wrong!
    1. You don't leave a patient on a bed. CPR becomes USELESS!
    2. Putting his hand under his back for support during compressions? WRONG!
    3. The lawyer said Jackson was "Frail..." and the doctor was concerned. REALITY: Cracked or broken ribs is common but, saving someone's life by doing CPR correctly, is the goal until EMS is onsite and can take over. That's why you practice on a dummy.
    Kiran: Michael Jackson may have had an aneurysm that no CPR practicenor, E.R. Tech., or MD could have saved. The toxicology test will determine the results, but if he had a "slight pulse" and could have been given "rescue breathes" the CPR might have been successful.
    The key factors /w Dr. Murray:
    1. How many minutes had Jackson been in his non-responsive state before Dr. Murray found him?
    2. Why didn't Dr. Murray attempt to call 911 before he started?
    3. Why didn't Dr. Murray perform CPR correctly before EMS arrived?
    A cardiologist of all doctors, would know how to do it correctly!
    I don't blame the Jackson family. This doctor has a lot more questions to answer...
    Thank you for a great interview!
    Randy Griesinger
    Seattle

June 29, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  7. Kim-Ha Albert in Seattle

You turned "The Most Trusted Name in News" into THE MICHAEL JACKSON SHOW, exploiting the singer's death to gain ratings, while neglecting the sufferings and hardships of American troops and heros in harms way in Iraq & Afghanistan, and by doing so, you forced millions of people who want NEWS to flee to NPR & the BBC, because you always seem to cause a MEDIA BLACKOUT when a celebrity dies, and your marked LACK of coverage on Honduras, the Middle East, and other domestic developments, such as the news from Homeland Security, really does a disservice to everyone, and in the end, we all pay for such lousy reporting.

June 29, 2009 at 7:44 am |
  8. Natalee

It seem a bit suspicious to me that Michael Jackson had a Cardiologist with him, medicating him, did he have a heart condition that would require him a personal physician with him at all times. His close family and friends insists that he was in perfectly healthy shape. Joe Jackson should stay away from the public scene for a while, out of respect for his son. His family ask for privacy while they mourn and he shows up at the BET awards?! May MJ rest in peace.

June 29, 2009 at 5:35 am |
  9. Wayne A. Hayes

Michael Jackson was the "soundtrack" of the music industry.......

June 28, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  10. jenny

Yes its sad MJ has passed away. But it buried so to speak the rest of the worlds news.

We all need to get back to the news. Whats going on in Iran.
    PPl being harmed still there.

Not to be ride but MJ is gone. Yes he sang good.

But people are being beaten and its inhuman. How sad are we if we let that go ...................

June 28, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  11. Marcus Monserrate

How sad and what a commentary it will be if the media coverage of MJ's passing does not allow MJ's family, and all people who loved him the space and respect to mourn our heart felt loss.

But what a sadder commentary it will be if after this our media allows this rabbit that right now is out of it's hole and caught by the ears; which is the licensed medical professionals that prey and exploit us when we need their help the most. Those that cater to the rich and Hollywood; how many rotten apples are in that barrel.

June 28, 2009 at 1:51 am |
  12. Carl Hinzman

I am tired of hearing about MJ. You folks should get a life.

June 27, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  13. diana mckinley

i have watched the news all my life, this thing with michael jackson is crazy, what about farrah fawcett, not hardly a word about her or her life. she was such a coragious woman dealing with her cancer, she sure wasn't accused of molesting children. yes i loved michael jackson's music, but what a discrace to farrah!

June 27, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  14. Way

While Michael Jackson's death is tragic, I'm already tired of the 24 hour news blitz. Certainly there are more important things going on in the world that CNN can cover. Let's get things back into perspective and do what the news is supposed to, critically inform us of what is going on.

June 27, 2009 at 6:48 am |
  15. Ricardo Estrada

It is sad the Micheal Jackson has Died. I was Lucky enough to see him in Concert twice as a Child and again when he was about 23 years of age God bless him and his Family... Rick

June 26, 2009 at 5:27 pm |
  16. jace

Michael Jackson was the KING OF MUSIC....Why is CNN trying to liken his death to the death of ANNA Nicole Smith? This is absurd. You have no evidence of drug abuse, yet you are reporting news based on an opinion given by a disgruntled employee of MJ. Aren't you supposed to report factual news and not hearsay...my my my, unbeleivable!!!!!

June 26, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  17. Erick from Dallas

" If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make the change" . My favorite line from Michael Jackson. I have 100 lines like the one above.
    MICHAEL JACKSON WILL LIVE FOREVER IN MY HEART