American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 30th, 2009

Ex-con: Bernie won’t be too popular behind bars

Going from a Park Avenue luxury apartment to a federal prison is going to be quite a change for Bernard Madoff. He was sentenced yesterday to 150 years in prison. What's life going to be like for him behind bars?

Larry Levine served ten years in prison and is now a consultant for white collar criminals preparing to go to jail. He spoke to Kiran Chetry on CNN’s “American Morning” Tuesday.

Kiran Chetry: What do you fill people in on as they get ready to go to prison?

Larry Levine: Well, I do damage control. Once the judge slams down the gavel and sentences you, the lawyer has no idea what's going to happen. So I prepare people for going into custody. I teach them everything they need to know from the time they go in, until they get out. If they get in a jam while they're on the inside, their families can get a hold of me and we can straighten things out.

Now in Madoff's case, he doesn't have an out date. What, 150 years from now? So he really has nothing to look forward to. I see them possibly putting him on suicide watch and/or protective custody because people are going to want to get to him. On a lighter side, he will get about 19-and-a-half years off on good time. They will give him that even though it'll never apply.

Chetry: In a way you're saying he doesn’t have hope for an appeal or hope to get out if he does well?

Levine: You have to prove that the judge abused his discretion by sentencing him to 150 years. Well, Madoff's off the charts as far as the dollar loss and the U.S. sentencing guidelines. They could have given him 200 years, although it wouldn't really make a difference. The judge had the latitude to do that, so an appeal really is going to go nowhere.

Chetry: What's daily life going to be like for Bernard Madoff in a federal penitentiary?

Levine: Well, he was in a detention center. … He's had a little taste of custody, but now he's going to be living in a cell, which is going to be his permanent home and this man who lived in a penthouse for years is going to be living basically out of a two-foot by four-foot wall locker. That's where all of his personal items are going to be stored and he's going to be subject to being counted several times a day, possibly strip-searched. He's not going to have any privacy, and he's probably going to be terrified for his life because people are going to want to get to him.

Chetry: Is he going to be among “hardened criminals”? Is he going to be serving with other people who committed non-violent crimes, meaning white collar?

Levine: I did a custody classification score on him… He really should be in a camp. He really should be in minimum custody, but the problem is, again, the dollar loss. Because of his dollar loss, they're putting a management variable on him. He's going to go to a medium. And he's going to come in contact with people that are bank robbers, killers, rapists and gang members. He's going to be in an extremely dangerous environment and he's going to be serving time with other people that have life sentences. Those people don't have an out date either. So if things jump off, they're not going to hesitate to do something to Bernie. They don't care. What can you possibly do to somebody who is serving a life that's not getting out anyway? Nothing.

Chetry: They would put him in the same prison as rapists, killers, and others?

Levine: It's the custody level. Medium custody.

Chetry: Rapists and killers are in the medium security?

Levine: Well, they work their way down, absolutely. They go from, let’s say a United States penitentiary, which is a high, to medium custody. Yeah. I saw them when I was in the medium in Phoenix; you have people serving life sentences there. I had two cell mates, one of them – he robbed an armored car up in Washington, I think it was in the late '80s and killed one of the armored car guards. These are dangerous people and you've got a lot of racists there – white power Aryan brotherhood – in these institutions and Bernie’s Jewish. Well I’m Jewish myself, but Bernie's not going to be real popular. He’s not going to have any friends.

Chetry: What were you in there for?

Levine: Narcotics trafficking, securities fraud, racketeering, obstruction of justice, and machine guns. My whole case was organized crime.

Chetry: How busy are you as a consultant prepping people to go?

Levine: My phone rings off the hook. Everybody has a problem, everyone has a question. Some people I can help, some people I can't. Now, I had Madoff's reps get a hold of me before he went into custody and I turned them down. I wouldn't help the guy out because I view him as an economic terrorist. If you rip off a bank and insurance company, an institution, that's an acceptable crime. Bernie hurt people. He hurt people individually and I refuse to help people like that. Let him rot in hell.

Filed under: Controversy • Crime
  1. Lisa in Shelton

why listen to a guy who thinks ripping off companies and institutions is ok but not people? Isn't there a Bill Gates behind a Microsoft? If the company fails due to scams, don't thousands of employees feel the pain? No crime is ok. This article was all hype – it was supposed to be a story about how Madoff was advised about how to survive in jail and this disgruntled holier-than-BLM criminal got his 15 minutes of airtime to yield NOTHING – the article wove to a close with a ridiculous DISS.

June 30, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  2. W.D

Madoff is just the tip of the iceberg. The real eye should be on Bernanke, Paulson, Geithner and Summers! Heck, how about just the entire corrupt Fed and SEC...Madoff was just a sacrifice, a distraction. Yea he stole from a lot of people, but have you looked at your retirement account and housing value lately? That is theft, our whole economy is a Ponzi scheme...I wonder what the sentence would be for those clowns running this show!

June 30, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  3. robynware

My question is, if Madoff had to give back all of his assets, how does he still have the funds to hire a prison consultant? He should be on his own, like so many of the people he swindled.

June 30, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  4. jplaur

His wife and two sons should be stripped of all their belongings. They play the innocent card. They knew very well what bernie was doing, and they all profited. I think it's wrong for the wife to get 2.5millions. Most of the people that invested with mr.monster don't have anything left, she and the sons should not have anything left in their pocket either. The money she got is stollen money therefore, she should go to sell burgers and see how the rest of the world earn money. 2.5 is a disgrace, she has no right to anything. mr. monster I hope he lives for a long time and has sleepless nights. SHAME SHAME.

June 30, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  5. Trollin'

I dont know what the big deal is. I think 150 years is too much.

June 30, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  6. capnmike

Hope they get Bush and Cheney too...much worse criminals than Madoff.

June 30, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  7. Adam

I heard someone cry hypocrite for Levine snubbing Madoff. Maybe you're right but there's something poetic about this article. Bernie robbed private citizens, they had no protection, institutions due. Madoff lived off the fat of individuals hard work and dreams while turning their lives into nightmares. It's so disgusting there's no words for it.

FYI-A psychiatrist contradicted Levine's theory of suicide. According to the doctor, Bernie is unlikely to kill himself because he's so narcissistic he can only see himself as a righteous victim. Sadly even imprisonment is unlikely to penetrate this guys ego.

June 30, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  8. Sam

That term – "economic terrorist" – is classic. But there's something ridiculous in Larry Levine – a man who is an ex-con – claiming that he "turned down" Bernie Madoff. Are you kidding me? That's like the pot calling the kettle black.

If Larry Levine really is in the business of counseling white collar criminals on jail life, then I assume most of his customers are unsavory characters. Bernie Madoff was able to pull off his large scale crime because he had connections and a rock solid reputation in the New York finance community. Most other criminals can't really pull a stunt off like this because they don't have the same assets to use. But don't think for a minute that this makes them less culpable or less evil than Bernie. So quit the grandstanding, Larry. You're no better than Bernie.

June 30, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  9. Ron Paul Fan

Wow. That guy is hard core

June 30, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  10. Carl

Larry,

I pray to Jesus himself that I never need your services.

But if I do need anyone like you. I pick you!

You look like a total B.A.

And

You did the crime, the time and now are making good.

I predict Madoff does not last 5 years.

June 30, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  11. Michael Fallai

more props to Larry for that last line of his. Screw Madoff, I am sure it will be a bit of comfort to his victims that he's literally getting in return what he figuratively did to others.

June 30, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  12. RJ

My wifes parents are now living with us do to this parasite and I see the the damage he created daily. Life in prison for him should be hell, glad to hear it will be!

June 30, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  13. Howard

To get the full appreciation of his dramatically changed life style of his 150 year sentence in Federal prison. I hope Bernie lives a very long time.

June 30, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  14. Emma

Regarding comments by "Joe": Why is there always some moron who just wants to disagree with the prevailing wisdom? Madoff is a serious offender who caused people to commit suicide, lose their homes, retirement savings, life savings (Kevin Bacon is an example) and cost us, the taxpayers, millions of dollars to prosecute. He was given a lighter sentence than his victims will have endure for the rest of their lives.

June 30, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  15. Chris Emposimato

Joe – You're an idiot. You want to give him a medal because people didn't get that money working 9-5? Do you know anything about this case? No, you don't. Get the facts strait....ALOT OF PEOPLE GAVE MONEY TO HIM: PEOPLE WHO WORKED 9-5 IDIOT.

June 30, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  16. Hank

Talk about the chickens coming home to roost. Madoff is just a product of our corrupt, capitalist system. So, he ripped off a bunch of super-wealthy individuals. So, some people may lose their 4th or 5th beach house in the Florida keys.. Big deal! Corporations, banks and so-called financial institutions have been ripping off the lower and middle classes for decades. People need to wake up... This man is just a byproduct of a system that has "terrorized" hard-working, regular people for as long as I can remember.. Why is our anger always so misdirected?

June 30, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  17. Sarah

I don't see Mr. Madoff as any more criminal than the next. Some of you say that his crime is worse because he hurt people. Well guess what? Many, many of those 'people' hurt a hell of a lot of other people to get their 'personal' fortunes. Get your priorities in order! Killing a person is infinitely worse than a ponzi scheme.

June 30, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  18. Dave in Houston

Bernie should change religions quickly - I wish he had done it a long time ago! He's a "shanda fur da goyim!"

June 30, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  19. Jane

Levine says "If you rip off a bank and insurance company, an institution, that’s an acceptable crime" ... because, apparently, nobody gets hurt.

... and all you people are saying he's some kind of hero because he doesn't want to help Bernie.

I wouldn't help Bernie either, but some ex-con saying that it's okay to rob banks, insurance companies – or anything at all – sure doesn't get my vote. Crime always hurts someone; you rip off an insurance company, then that's why everyone's car insurance/health insurance premiums go up. You rip off banks and that's why you get screwed with bank charges for everything.

Nobody gets hurt? Yeah, right!

Aside from the pure economics of it, there really is something wrong with ripping off anything or anyone; i.e. it's simply morally wrong. But, of course, meat-head Levine could hardly be expected to know about such advanced concepts as morals and ethics.

June 30, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  20. bartles

"Let him rot in hell".......hopefully continuing investigations will turn up
    company for him there.

June 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  21. Art

They should throw his wife and sons in jail with him.You can't tell me they didn't know he was stealing all this money from these families,what did they think he found all this money on the side of the road ? I hope that the Madoff family all rot in hell and that the goverment makes them homeless!

June 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  22. KirksNoseHair

Madoff is not a rapist or a child molester. Not that many prisoners are going to want to "get him" unless someone has put a price on his head, which, considering the scope of his crime, is entirely within the realm of possibility.

June 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  23. BM

I couldnt agree more, Levine is a hypocrite!

June 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  24. David E.

Dear All,

For some people, they may not understand why we would like to see an elderly man put away.

Bernie has ruined thousands of people beyond repair, they have no financial support in their age and some have no family to go to for help.

Bernie has also caused some folk's to have commit suicide, and sadly maybe more in the days and years to come.

With Bernie's wife with ONLY getting 2.5 million, I think that is 2.45 million more than she needs, and the money should go to the victim's in this case.

Bernie will have medical care and three hot's and a cot now, more than his victims. Trully sad.

June 30, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  25. Marlan

Ponzi scheme should now be known as Madoff Scheme.

June 30, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  26. James

Bernie's lucky. In ancient Rome, he would have been fed to the bloodthirsty crowds at the gladiator games or crucified alive, with his entire family, outside the city.

June 30, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  27. June

I wish him to have a big company arund him. All those Economic Terrorists, who took millions of dollars, and the same time laid peole off from their jobs. Carelessly. Those people should be Madoff company in the prison.

June 30, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  28. J P

I don't know of anyone who feels any sympathy for Madoff... Obviously, he never felt any for all those her swindles over many years.
    I don't wish him to be killed or even beaten up in jail as this would not be a valid justice. It would only perhaps kill him, which is probably what he wishes at this point.
    The better punishment in my opinion is solitary confinement without ever seeing daylight for the rest of his life. Under 24 hour surveillance so he does not attempt to commit suicide.
    Imagine seeing no one, no daylight, and living alone 24/7 in a 6' X 10' cell for the rest of his life, would be a much harsher punishment.
    He has made people prisoners financially for the rest of their life by his actions. he deserves no less.

June 30, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  29. Kybill

I believe a 150 year sentence is a joke. The judge should have just said life without parole! There are those who say a better sentence would have been one where he is forced to panhandle on the streets of NYC with a big sign on his back. For someone used to living in a lap of luxury his whole life, the ultimate shame of being forced to beg for a living would be worse than a life sentence where at least he gets free food and medical care.

June 30, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  30. Andy

Larry Levine is not a hardened criminal. While he may have done some time, it was not hard time by federal standards. This is all an act to make money. Typically an experienced attorney will know quite a lot about the prison environment to which his client will report. Larry was a scam artist before prison and he's one now. Don't waste your money on this guy. You can go to bop.gov and learn pretty well everything this guy could tell you –along with some common sense.

June 30, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  31. Michael

Larry said it best..."rot in hell"-econ terrorist? perfect–what better guy to interview for something so high profile and show what changes HE has made-Larry, good for you and what you're doing...I DO disagree with one of his points-I think Bernie will be QUITE popular in prison

June 30, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  32. Peter

Too bad Bernie can't live another 150 years to enjoy all of his time as a guest of the US Government!

June 30, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  33. Dennis

Interesting perspective from a man that was on the inside. I agree. Let Bernie Madoff "rot in hell".

June 30, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  34. ab

Right on L.M.

June 30, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  35. Liza

So, according to this guy, it's okay to help a criminal out if they ripped off an insurance company or robbed a bank? Interesting. I'm not sure what to make of this.

June 30, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  36. Erik

I couln't agree more with PJ. The remaining crooks out there (Chuck Prince-Citi, Hank Greenberg AIG, Sandy Weil- Citi, Bill Clinton and Robert Rubin the wretched guys that helped them out) should all be in jail. As the Scandinavians say: "The fish is rotten from the head down !!)

June 30, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  37. B. Nelson

Just to play devil's advocate, I wonder how much responsibility any of the victims are taking for their role in the whole thing: they wanted to make a killing, getting in on something only available to the elite, and when they got burned they suddently became victims. Boo hoo. I say "man up" and accept that you took a risk and lost. Who in their right mind puts all their money, all their savings, in one place - all their proverbial eggs in one basket? I'll bet most of them were grinning and patting themselves on the back, thinking themselves superior to the rest of us working class suckers, drooling at the thought of making a killing. My sympathies are limited.

June 30, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  38. clevemasters

Larry levine is a mutt and not connected in any way with OC, now or ever. MUTT!!

June 30, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  39. robt

he'll be dating in no time

June 30, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  40. yaakov

Wow what a moralist. Madoff hurt people and you didn't?? Your narcotics trafficking and fraud only hurt "institutions" and not "people". ??

June 30, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  41. aefghasfdg

Please stop the insanity. most of the victims were greedy and they knew something was up but figured they had nothing to worry about. also, why are we giving bernie more hell than molesters and rapists and gangsters? you got rolled, wise up and move on!

June 30, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  42. Diane

Trafficking drugs, machine guns are not crimes that would hurt people????? Oh Please! How stupid do you think the American public is? You are just another scum bag trying to make a buck doing nothing.

June 30, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  43. Ceboia

Many of Madoff's victims are going to have "harsh and terrifying day to day" lives..just wondering where the money is going to come from for rent and food. Living on a fixed social security income, which requires careful planning but at least is something. I have much sympathy for Madoff's victims..who have nothing.

June 30, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  44. Jessica

Apparently this tool doesnt understand that when you rip off a company YOU ARE STILL HURTING PEOPLE. The banks, they HOLD OUR MONEY...you steal that, you're stealing MY MONEY

crikey, that's why these people are stupid criminals...

June 30, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  45. Syd

Joseph said:
    servedg federal prison time in 80’s federal white collar charges this guy is trying to con someone Its very simple 1 he will be in a very low security prison because of age , crime type, never been in trouble!! My yard had putt putt golf in door swiming pools everything you need except freedom, dont gamble , keep a few friends mind your own business, and most of all respect others not that hard hardest thing missing your loved ones!!

I don't know you or your crimes, but Madoff's notority is what's going to get him in medium security. Everything is publis so the press would have a field day given what he's done if they let him have the same type of deal that you did.

Erza is next, followed by Ruthie...and I doubt she'll get to go to camp cupcake!

June 30, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  46. Fataboy

I predict a WHOLE NEW group of prison guard millionaires!!!

June 30, 2009 at 12:15 pm |
  47. Nick

what a nice criminal! He has morals! Makes me feel all good and fuzzy inside, kind of a joke wouldnt you say, RIP Bernie!

June 30, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  48. get real

I'm guessing that machine guns ended up 'hurting people'

anyway, highprofile cons like Tyson, Vick, etc., generally don't mingle with everyone else. Not life is a picnic for them.

June 30, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  49. Penelope

That thieving S.O.B. got what he deserved!!! I hope he rots in his cell dwelling on why he's there. The only problem is that people that can commit acts such as he did dont feel genuine remorse... The only thing he's probably sorry about is getting caught!

June 30, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  50. Eric

I wonder how are the odds running in Vegas on how long will he last before he's killed . . . .

Is going to happened. That's a given. He had to messed up someone with a relative or friend in jail.

June 30, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  51. Jerald Morris

Madoff is in trouble with God. He needs to saved before the killers get to him. No safe place for him except in the Hands of God.
    Get with Bernie your party time is up here, you hurt too many people who counted on you known and unkown. Fidiciary responsibilty carries a big burden when you abuse it, and you did.. you and your wife.

June 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  52. DMoney

I think for his sentence, it should have been this:

Charge him 1 arm and 1 leg
    Let this Larry guy be his cellmate for 2 weeks raping him every night....................!!!!!!!

What an ass this Madoff guy was, thinking he would get away with it? lol

June 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  53. bob russell

Everyone loves this narcotics trafficking soprano for his ethics/morals.

It's difficult to square this circle. His statements are purely PR. "I'll sell drugs to kids, but I won't work with madoff types". Yeh right. He'll work with anyone that pays. He'd sell bernie crack if he could swing it.

June 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  54. sammy

So, Narcotics trafficking, securities fraud, racketeering, obstruction of justice, and machine guns I'd say this puts you in the same class as Bernie Madoff!
    Imagine how many kids got hooked on the drugs you trafficked!! Please, don't you think you are being a bit hypocritical...I think Murdoff will be killed within a month. You just got lucky!!

June 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  55. mark siegel

I think the wife should be locked up as well,She lived a lavish lifestyle off of everybodys money just like he did.I think she'll be the lonyest women in the world though!!

June 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  56. Kelsey

CNN needs to tell me that jail is scary? really? come on, now.

June 30, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  57. Jaycee

I like this guy! (Levine, that is!)

June 30, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  58. DM

mlosan – As the guy said, the hardened cons are doing life. They have nothing to lose. They'll do w/e they want.

June 30, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  59. Donald L

How about the federal government going after all of the bank executives, including that idiot Paulson, who caused the financial chaos that we are dealing with today. Oh, wait, that's right, Paulson is Obama's buddy so I guess that won't happen.

June 30, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  60. Raven Darke

Has anyone thought to do a test for psychopathology on Madoff? No one lies that well for that long and lives on the avails of misery unless they have no feelings of remorse. I couldn't care less where he serves the sentence. He's an economic terrorist, he should be in Gitmo maybe. At least then using the Dick Cheney water boarding method we'd find where he hid the loot.

June 30, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  61. Brooke

Larry Levine is no better than Bernie Madoff. He should not be allowed to make a living off of his prison experience. I guess crime does pay doesn't it Larry?

June 30, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  62. HAP

Perhaps those at the SEC who let this situation grow over ten years, despite constant warnings about Madoff, should get to spend some time in the same cell as Bernie.

June 30, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  63. Lee

Great article. Madoff is getting exactly what he deserves.

June 30, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  64. Jason

Maybe Cheny can hire him in advance to train his for his upcoming debut for his crimes against America. As a bonus he can addin a few sessions for Bush too

June 30, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  65. Nick San Diego

I'm a get even type guy with no compassion for this piece of work Madoff. I hope he hurts bad.
    Can't wait to see his brother,sons and wife in prison also.

June 30, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  66. Melissa

This is one time where i would not want to spend a weekend at Bernie's

June 30, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  67. Mo Lacourse

Economic Terrorist – that is a good term for Madoff. He deserves a lot worse than he will ever get. True justice for this 'terrorist' will be for him to live out the remainder of his miserable life in total fear. Perhaps somewhere down the line, one of his fellow inmates will do what the justice system failed to do and end his sorry existance. Few outside of his family will weep. That end, along with the humiliation he has so justly earned so far, will bring some closure to his many victims. I agree – let him rot!

June 30, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  68. Joe

They should be giving Bernie a medal, not jail. The people he stole from sure didn't get that money working 9-5. I guess his big downfall is that he didn't give to the poor. OK, send him to jail for being Greedy and Stupid (He should of left the country when he had the chance!)

June 30, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  69. Paul

Economic terrorist is exactly what Bernie is.
    He should have been tried as a traitor and enemy of the state.

June 30, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  70. JAMES DUCKWORTH SLC UTAH

I HOPE HE MEET'S BUBBA IN A DARK PRIVATE PLACE
    THEN HE MAY SEE WHAT IT IS LIKE TO GET SC-REW-ED

June 30, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  71. Susan

Awww. Poor Bernie. My heart bleeds. Not for him but for all the people whose lives he ruined. A lot of those people were retirement age and they won't have time to build back a nest egg.

The people at the SEC who were warned about Madoff and did nothing to stop him belong in the cell right next to his.

June 30, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  72. Barbara Ryan

I have absolutely no pity for this man. He knew exactly what he was
    doing when he took others money to live a lifestyle 99% of the
    people can't even imagine.
    His wife, sons and all the others involved with him should be prosecuted
    because I don't believe for one minute they were all ignorant of what
    was going on.
    He has ruined so many lives and put so many into poverty especially the elderly who trusted him to do the right thing.

June 30, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  73. Don

Levine: You are a moron and don't have any idea what you are talking about. You are in the same camp as Madoff (taking money for nothing).

June 30, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  74. Rhonda

It's nice to see the softer side of ex-con Larry Levine – with compassion for Madoff's victims. I agree with Bernie – let him rot in hell!

June 30, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  75. Sharon,Daniel Island, South Carolina

bernie will not be popular, i listened to some of the people that were ripped off and i have to wonder what they expected from there investments. you don't amass millions of dollars to invest because your and idiot

June 30, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  76. AB in MN

Levin trafficked narcotics and dealth machine guns. I wonder if he hurt any individual peoples? My guess is yes just like everyone else would guess. But yet he says let Bernie rot in hell for his crimes against humanity. Don't get me wrong, Bernie deserves to go to jail and he deserves to rot in hell for all the people he's ruined. But for this dude Levine to condemn him, come on!? People died because of Levine. People lost money because of Madoff. Which is worse?

June 30, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  77. Adam Switzer

This guy is awesome. His analysis at the end is brilliant – hurt a corporation, that;s fine. Hurt people...rot.

June 30, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  78. Jim Powell

As an ex-con myself, after 15-years in the system, I believe Mr. Levine assessment is incorrect that "people are going to want to get to him." In general, there are people who want to get to everybody that comes in, it is sort of like a test or entertainment in the joint.

Madoff didn't do anything against the criminal society or anything that is less acceptable among the criminals. If Madoff had molested a child or raped a woman then the situation would be different.

The opposite is going to be true: the criminals are going to recognize that Madoff as clever and they will want to learn some of the tricks of the trade that he pulled off, as well also taking advantage of his knowledge of the financial system.

The biggest threat to Madoff is the garbage that Mr. Levine is talking,
    which ain't about nothing and just typical head-running. Besides, Madoff is an old man and hardly anyone would mess with an old man in the joint unless he was a child molester.

Go figure Levine.

June 30, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  79. k

I agree with Levine....let the man rot in hell. The pain he may receive in prision from others is only half the pain he has caused others. I hope other inmates get to him while the guards to the other way. I hope he gets what he has coming!!!! I hope you ROT in the depths of hell and may GOD have absolutely no mercy on your sole!!!

June 30, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  80. Glenn

Cool article, Bernie better not run into a guy who's family he ripped off. That sob has whatever he gets in there coming to him.

June 30, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  81. L. M.

Seems Mr. Levine needs clarification about the difference between his life in organized crime and the fraud committed by B. Madoff. There isn't any. Sorry, Larry. The crimes you committed are just as bad as what Bernie has done. But "narcotics trafficking, securities fraud, racketeering, obstruction of justice, and machine guns"? Please tell me how you avoided hurting anyone; I'm sure your sins are still being felt by those you harmed. I smell a hypocrite.

June 30, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  82. joseph

And if you have money you have friends a plenty !!

June 30, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  83. joseph

this clown is a moron I servedg federal prison time in 80's federal white collar charges this guy is trying to con someone Its very simple 1 he will be in a very low security prison because of age , crime type, never been in trouble!! My yard had putt putt golf in door swiming pools everything you need except freedom, dont gamble , keep a few friends mind your own business, and most of all respect others not that hard hardest thing missing your loved ones!!

June 30, 2009 at 11:55 am |
  84. John R

I know that life for Madoff is going to be pretty awful. But he had many years to think about the pain he was inflicting on others–destroying many lives. This wasn't a one-time violent act committed in an extreme moment. He indulged in these crimes for many years. Where was his conscience? Sorry, I have no sympathy. I don't wish for him to be whacked behind bars, but a harsh and terrifying day to day life–serves him right for what he methodically put so many others through all those years.

June 30, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  85. FL

If you rip off an institution, like a bank or insurance company, you still hurt individuals because the loss to the company is handed down to the individuals in higher rates. So funny to see criminals that try to have standards, that don't make sense when taken to their logical conclusion. But then if a guy was really smart, he either wouldn't be a criminal, or he wouldn't get caught.

June 30, 2009 at 11:53 am |
  86. Andy Myers

Bravo to Larry Levine. I hope the victiims of the scumbag of the century gain some solace from what Larry said.

June 30, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  87. Fran Parente

I think he hit the nail on the head when he described Madoff as "an economic terrorist". It's a perfect description for him. What does that make the SEC, since they where alerted about Madoff many times over the years?

June 30, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  88. zephyr

A con with a conscience. I love it.

June 30, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  89. Jason

hehe, this guy's cool.

June 30, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  90. AL

I would help him – but it would cost an arm and a leg.

June 30, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  91. rex Howard

I agree with Levine, let him rot in Hell, maybe they can send some Gitmo prisoners to visit him too. Because they all are going to get their up and comings....

June 30, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  92. Ricky 'n' Julian

This guy rules!

June 30, 2009 at 11:50 am |
  93. PJ

Hey! Larry Levine gets it! These people are Economic TERRORISTS. The CEOS of Goldman Sachs, BOA, AIG, et. al. are NO different. They should be swept up by the DOJ like all the other terrorists and locked up in Gitmo- no lawyer, no release, no appeal. Since Obama is backing the Bush Admin's stance on just about everything else, let's go after America's REAL enemy- the boardroom.

June 30, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  94. Joe L

Amazing. So glad that Levine wouldn't help Madoff. Glad there are still people that can turn down money in favor of their morals!

June 30, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  95. rick

"let him rot in hell." couldn't have said it any better.

June 30, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  96. charles

This case is not closed. Bernie could not have done all that damage alone. Others will be joining him.

June 30, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  97. ucantfindme

Gotta love this Levine......:)))

June 30, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  98. Clyde

When criminals don't even respect you, that says it all.... Levine's last line says it all.
    My only question is when are they going to get to Madoff's enablers in the SEC? They need to rot too.

June 30, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  99. Jake

Alright Larry! Love that last line and couldn't agree more.

June 30, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  100. mlosan

Dayum....even a hardened criminal wants nothing to do with Madoff! There is justice after all.

June 30, 2009 at 11:43 am |