American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 2nd, 2009

Blogger calls Joe Jackson "shameless"

Three days after Michael Jackson’s death, Joe Jackson talked up his record label on the red carpet at the B.E.T. Awards. Some people have quietly questioned the actions of Michael Jackson’s father during the grieving process.

Journalist and blogger Jimi Izrael is questioning his behavior loudly on theroot.com, calling Joe Jackson “shameless.” He spoke to Kiran Chetry Thursday on CNN’s “American Morning.”

Kiran Chetry: You have some pretty harsh words about Joe Jackson. Why do you feel he did not necessarily look like the father in mourning after the death of Michael?

Jimi Izrael: Well, look, you know, when somebody dies – like when Nipsey Russell died for instance I was looking to his family as I was mourning to get some idea what the tone was. And the way it goes when people die, you look to the family members to get some idea of how to react. The sister's all broken up, the mom is in pieces and the dad's off in the corner trying to sell bootleg T-shirts and CD’s. I got to say it’s a bad look. Joe Jackson just hit the wrong note.

Chetry: You were especially critical of that red carpet appearance. He spoke to our Don Lemon saying he owned a record company called Ranch Records distributed by Blu-ray technology and that's the next step. You say he was pitching his music label. How did other people react to that when you spoke to them?

Izrael: … On theroot.com, the piece has gotten as of now about 813 comments. And about a quarter of those, you know, people didn't agree with me and accused me of being just another white man, shilling for the white man and who couldn't understand the pain that obviously black people go through. And I’ve got to tell you, it's hard out here for a white man.

Chetry: Well, there were some other people who commented. This piece got a lot of comments, more than 800 as you said. And one of them wrote, “what a person does in public and in private can be two different things. Plus it depends on how the person handles grief. Joe Jackson strikes me as a person that would not let the public see him in an emotional state.” Is that a fair point that perhaps he is doing some grieving but it’s just not in his nature to show it?

Izrael: You know what? If he had went to the B.E.T. Awards dressed up like his son with the hat on and the glove and kind of as a homage that would have made a lot of sense. I don't think that people grieve by selling CD’s out of the trunk or anything like that. That doesn't strike me as a grief thing that strikes me as an opportunism thing. That’s what I think it is.

Chetry: Michael and Joe certainly have had their arguments through the years. Michael Jackson, in a brutally honest interview back in 1994 to Oprah, said about Joe, “…he was very strict, very hard, just one look would scare you… there’s been times when he'd come to me and I’d get sick.” He went on to say that he beat him and at times even as an adult he would start to regurgitate when Joe came around and even in that interview he said “He’s never heard me say this, I’m sorry, please don't be mad at me.”  It strikes me as a complicated relationship especially when you look at Joe Jackson not being in Michael Jackson’s will.

Izrael: It's not complicated at all. Joe Jackson is a monster and he must be stopped. It's like Godzilla. He’s not the guy you want raising Michael Jackson’s kids. What? Flavor Flav, Rasputin – they’re not available? Joe Jackson, no, we've got to cut that short.

Chetry: How ugly do you think this is going to get within the family as all of the legal issues start to ramp up. Who gets control, who executes the will and who ultimately gets guardianship of the children?

Izrael: You know the circus has started when Al Sharpton comes, right? And you know how it's going down. The circus has just begun. So we're maybe we’re a third of the way through the first act. We haven't seen anything yet. It's going to get even messier. You wait until Debbie Rowe steps into the arena and then maybe Al Sharpton will do a little rendition of "Thriller." I’m telling you we haven’t seen anything yet. So stay tuned.

Filed under: Controversy • Entertainment
  1. Claudia Schmitt

The real MURDER of all artists is "THE MEDIA", they only show that what they want you to know! They hunt the celebrities like animals, they KILLED " Lady Diana", they destroyed the image from Michael Jackson and his family, they destroy the image of many, many celebrities, and they continue the "HORROR SHOW" with the next victim....now a 80 years old man who lost his son. They don't even think about the rest of the family, NO RESPECT!!!!
    Michael is dead, and now everyone wants to blame somebody for it! BUT ALL OF YOU OUT THERE, that loves to read the bad news, scandals, manipulated pictures, manipulated interviews and much more are helping the MEDIA even more, to continue to kill people!
    Our world is a "MEDIA HORROR SHOW" and the celebrities are the VICTIMS of this HORROR!
    Remember they are just humans, just like us, they also make mistakes, we should support them, help them and give them a chance to get up again!!!!

I WAS SO HAPPY ABOUT MICHAEL "COMEBACK" BUT VERY SAD WITH THE MEDIA PRESSURE ON HIM!

LEAVE JOE JACKSON IN PEACE!
    LEAVE THE JACKSON FAMILY IN PEACE!
    LEAVE ALL THE CELEBRITIES IN PEACE!

July 7, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  2. Annie Wint

In summary, I am saying that if someone sprays chlooform of a certain amount in Michael Jackson's room while he is sleeping, this could slow down his breathing and eventually deminish oxygen intake and if the condition remains stable, the heart will stop beating. CPR could help wihin appropriate time only when the patient is removed from the place of occuring situation.

Annie

July 3, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  3. Annie Wint

The swine flu, there were a set of people coming in the students' center at my college obviously trying to innoculate us with the flu. I phoned news 12 and I heard something about it on the news and the college took action by providing enough sanitizing liquid to clean hands, desk and computer/keys. Another situation occurred yesterday. My next door neighbor tried to kill me like the way they killed Michael Jackson. The walls between our apartment are like cardboard. One can hear each other using the toilet. Yesterday the tenant on my left who used many annoying drugs/chemical to my dissatisfaction of living and many times I called on the city hall or police for help without much help.
    Yesterday morning, July 2, I was in my bathroom when my next door neighbor open their bathroom door and throw in a chemical and quickly slam the door shut. First I recognize the odour as chloroform. quickly I became faint and I get out of the bathroom and closed the door and stayed out for a while. The action repeated and I went out of my apartment and stayed out for a while. If I were sleeping when this happened, it coul;d cause my breathing to slow down and weakened my heart beat. If the condition remained still my heart beat would be so weak that cpr would not help because the odour of chloroform disappears fast but the situation remains effective. It is likely such a situation may occur to the death of the Pop King.

July 3, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  4. That Teowonna!

I guess I'll be adding theroot.com to my blog reading list!

July 3, 2009 at 7:09 am |
  5. CJ61

If the “Jackson Family” movie was any indication of how Joe was as a man, husband, and father, I commend him for raising 9 kids in the rough Gary, IN. times. Yes he was a harsh, strict disciplinarian with his kids. In that movie when he had the boys carry those cinder block from one side of the yard to the other, and yes that was cruel to me, but in his thinking he wanted those boys to see the type of life they would have; hauling bricks all day, working in low paying jobs if, they did not succeed as the best singers. Also with his taunting and belittling the kids was his way of preparing them for life, and yes Michael and his siblings were ridiculed a lot. Sometimes kids can’t understand the “decisions” their parents make for them, all they are thinking about is “when I get old enough, I am out of here”. Joe Jackson is an eighty-year old man, rambling on about his supposedly “new” company. Some old people try to hide their true grief, by talking about future events or taking every one back to their past. However, there is no doubt in my mind, he is hurting very bad on the inside, he can’t be any other way, because a link from “HIS” family chain has been broken with the death of Michael. My God, No parent wants to see their child go before them! My heart goes out to Joe, Katharine and the entire Jackson Family

July 2, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  6. debby s

I am totaly ourtaged at the actions of Joe Jackson, what kind of father see's dollars signs instead of mourning his son's death. Thank God Michael had a very loving mother to rely on. Joe should not be allowed on tv for anything, He has done nothing himself to be famous for other than hurting his family. Even in death Joe can not show some compassion and Love to Michael. Shameless Joe should not be given any air time at all.He is taking advantage of the news to promote his idea so he does not have to pay for air time. HOW CRUEL AND COLD!!

July 2, 2009 at 6:52 pm |
  7. Joseph, MD

Indeed Joe was a shame to positive parenting. I am proud of the things Michael was able to do in 50 short years with nearly 45 of them being taken from him. Having been manipulated for far too long, i am glad he can rest. The Plug was almost as shameless as the entire B.E.T. tribute! I wrote a letter to B.E.T. voicing my concerns and my email bounced back! How bout that.. I do not think that it is being covered too much.. what i do think is that the chaos cause by this untimely departing was much too much for some people to handle thus they start throwing stones in glass houses! IE: Joe Hackson

July 2, 2009 at 3:32 pm |
  8. jloome

Anyone who has followed Joe Jackson's behaviour over the years might well come away with the impression that he's a sociopath.

July 2, 2009 at 3:17 pm |
  9. nancy

Yes, Joe Jackson is a jagbag for sure. I didn't hear about the will, but I sure hope Michael EXCLUDED his so called father.

July 2, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  10. phyllis germaine

I REALLY THINK THE MICHAEL JACKSON STORY IS BEING COVERED FAR TOO MUCH.ALL THAT IS EVER ON NOW ON CNN,IS HIM.
    THERE ARE OTHER STORIES,AND REMEMBEER FARA FAWCET DIED AS WELL NOT MUCH ON HER.

July 2, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  11. a.j

i agree. joe jackson hasn't played a fatherly role in michael's life and he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the will. michael doesn't have to leave behind any of his fortune for this monster.

July 2, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  12. Ellie, MD

I agree. Joe Jackson has been nothing but disgraceful. The man has no scruples when it comes to Michael. I see why Michael doesn't even mention the man in his Will.

Since day one, Joe Jackson has done NOTHING but toot his OWN horn. He's walking the red carpet at the BET Awards like he's a star!! Are you kidding me? I have never heard Joe Jackson said "I'm so very proud of my son, I LOVE my son deeply, I MISS MY SON".....

What's wrong with this picture?

Others have to tell Joe Jackson to "clue it" with his comments regarding Michael. What does that say?

This grown ass man is NOT the star, icon or anything. He needs to STOP fronting like he's a celebrity. NO ONE cares about what Joe Jackson wants or thinks. We ALL know Joe Jackson is responsible for Michael's demons.

The only person who TRULY loves Michael UNCONDITIONALLY is his mother Catherine. She's the LOVE of his life and it showed all the way up till his death. YOU could tell he loved his mother and she LOVED him. Catherine has conducted herself honorably and with such integrity when it comes to her entire family. SHE is the one Michael LOVED the most beside his three children.

July 2, 2009 at 11:14 am |