American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 2nd, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 7/2/09

Editor's Note: Canadians chastised American Morning on Thursday for misrepresenting their health care system and reporting it in a negative context. Most believed that any American would be pleased with such health care.

• Carolina: Jim Acosta's report on health care – Please DO NOT keep referring to Canada as a negative health care system. It works VERY well here. Please come to Canada and interview people, educate your own people on how well this system works. All I can say is Canada is not in the mess that the US is in and we can take care of the health of our people – how is it working for you guys????
  • Edward: John, I watched your bit on the health care fight in the us. I find it funny how the one side keeps threatening that your heading toward a Canadian system and that’s just so bad. John, I remember watching you up here on city TV so you should know how our system here in Canada is. Why don’t you do a bit comparing our two countries healthcare systems because the average American doesn’t have a clue. I would bet most Americans would love to have Canadian healthcare. Thanks a Canadian fan...

How would you feel if you had the same health care coverage as is available in Canada? Do you believe their system of coverage is appropriate for U.S. citizens? What would ideal universal heath care look like to you?

Regarding FAA whistle-blowers, some wondered why the head of the agency had not been charged with manslaughter for dereliction of duty. Others suggested that few acted as whistle-blowers because of the fear of reprisal.

• Feebe: The problem with complaining or filling a safety issue to the FAA is the paper work. No one wants to put a name on their work if the paper work is going to slap them in the face or even worse lose their two bit job that pays them good. This could be said for a lot of jobs of this type.
  • John: I would like to know why the Head of the FAA hasn't been charged with manslaughter. After all it was his decision to over look safety problems that inspectors seen and he just brushed them under the carpet. I really wish we adopted China's rules and take people like him out and eliminate greed from this earth.

What do you think about whistle-blowers? Are there enough laws to protect people when they speak out about such issues as those at the FAA?

Filed under: We Listen
  1. eloise

i would like to see the USA address the TRUE immigration issue. The fact that illegal aliens coming to the USA can have their children here, regardless of their immigration status and AUTOMATICALLY the children are US Citizens. There is where it all starts (begins).
    From there they AUTOMATICALLY qualify for FREE health care paid for by the Middle Class (ME!) 'Anchor Babies'

SO all this talk about not supporting illegals receiving health care is just BUNK...
    we (the middle class) all know we will end up paying for it in the end.
    And AGAIN the middle class will not get anything FREE, again only the poor..so nothing has changed.........................

August 11, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  2. Paul Lamb

Sara Palin will be the Republicans candidate for President. The swell in the United States is behind her wheather CNN wants to believe it or not. Talk her down all you want, but you do not hear the people in this country who are marching behind her. CNN like Washington has a deaf ear and will try to keep her out, but I do not think the stratagy will work. The American citizens are brighter than that. GO SARA GO SARA GO SARA!

July 6, 2009 at 8:28 am |
  3. Mary Shannon

Health Care in Canada is NOT free – I live in Ontario and last year it cost me $1000.00 – $600 from source and an additional $400 at tax time. Wait lists – how about 3-4 years for a knee replacement (my husband), 1.5 years for prostate surgery (my brother) – 17 hours in the ER just to be seen on several occasions(me) In addition, no one can find a family doctor – it has been reported that a high percentage of people die because we don't have enough ambulances! If you are over 65 – forget about it – you aren't going to get the same treatment as younger patients. The Government decides what tests you get – average wait in the capital city of Ottawa is 8+ months to see a specialist.

July 6, 2009 at 7:15 am |
  4. Mitchel

Hello Sen. Hutchison and Sen. Cornyn,
    I sent this email to Gov. Palin, and I wanted to send it to you, and also to Sen. Cornyn, because I am making a broader point about energy, and our ever increasing size of government, and our increased government controls and national debt. I hope you eliminate the "cap and trade" portion of the energy bill. It will bring down our economy in time. Here is my email paste. Please fight for all of us Americans Sen. Hutchison and Sen. Cornyn.

Hello Gov. Palin,
    I sent this email ( below ) to my friends and family. But first let me tell you how I feel. I supported you during the campaign last year, and I have always defended you in my emails to others. I think that you make some people nervous and afraid, so they want to destroy you at all costs. But, God will judge them later for their hypocrisy. So, ignore them and their mean words, and be a better, stronger soul. Turn the other cheek.

I do think that you need to learn more about Geo-politics and domestic politics, because as much as I supported you, I feel that you did not show a commanding knowledge of these subjects. So, my advice is to study-up, and learn, and then you will be fine. I like your core principles. But, I think that you need to show comprehensive knowledge on domestic and foreign policy issues. Having said that, I do not think that you deserved to be attacked in all the ways that you have been attacked. It is absurd, and shows the worse of what it means to be human. The personal attacks especially angered me. My thinking has been, that I support you, and you just need to read up more, and then you will silence all those who love to hate you. I don't like those kind of people, because they are fools. They are the ones who propose how to make everyone else live as they do now. But their existence is a false one. And if they are allowed to continue their liberal
    socialist agenda, then we will go bankrupt as a nation ( fiscally and morally ), and anarchy will rule the day. Then they will be the ones asking why it happened like the fools they are today.

I am a conservative, libertarian, and even liberal...it depends on the issue. But, I am a fiscal conservative/libertarian. I like small, efficient government. I believe anything too large...whether it is a global corporation, or government is inherently corrupt, and inefficient...and history is on my side. I believe that charity begins at home.... not trying to save the world. Because we can't save the world even if we had all the money in the world. And we are in fact broke as a nation. The only reason China, Japan, Saudi Arabia and other countries bankroll our national debt is because of our annual GDP, and their belief in the idea of our free market system...which means that anyone of us Americans can invent, and start a business that will "sky-rocket" in profits and prosper.

So, all these new government programs will bring us down as a nation sure. Because we allow global corporations to move out of here and we have an ever increasingly small manufacturing base. We tax our corporations too high, and with all the new cap and trade standards coming soon by this new energy bill, then no corporation will move here to make business. Plus we are killing off our small businesses who make up 80 percent of the jobs here... by our hidden taxes... like the new tax code for people making over $200,000 per year ( small business men/women file this way ), and the "cap and trade" clause in the new energy bill. Costs always roll downhill. Energy will cost more from this cap and trade, hence energy companies pass it on to manufacturers of all of our products, including food. Plus we will pay more for energy for our houses and cars. Obama estimates $3,100 per year for a family of 4, or $600 more per individual. But, I am sure the cost will
    be much higher, because when have politicians ever really told us the real cost?

I want all kinds of energy...Nuclear is best for the money in terms of amount produced versus cost, and it is cleaner than all other "green" energy. We are the only advanced country who refuses to accept Nuclear power...even China, Japan, and India are increasing their Nuclear power plants. I also want solar, and wind too, but even the US government estimates that only 30 percent of our energy will be by solar and wind by 2030. So, we have a 70 percent gap here, one that idealistic, brainwashed ideologs don't see. This must be filled by Nuclear, oil, and clean coal in the interim. And cap and trade will kill small business, plus it is a hidden tax revenue for the federal government to fund their bloated size.

This means no more middle class. No more hope, and this means higher taxes to pay for big government, our national debt and increased interest charges on that national debt, and more anarchy as people struggle to live. This is the future we face if left wing extremists continue of this self-righteous, masochistic policy of doing what will save the world, instead of doing what will save us first...so then we can help to TRY to save the world. Anyway, I will stop there, because I am sad how I see our future in this country. This is my reply to the Vanity Fair article, and I sent it to many news agencies too. God bless you and your family.

I'm sad that so many Americans who are not touched or affected by her in ANY way- only Alaskans who she governed are affected by her- are showing mob mentality. If she was in a group of such hate and venom, then I'm sure that once one hateful soul threw a stone at her, then all others would join in and stone her to death. For what? Did she hurt you or your family? Does she affect your life in ANY way? Let those without sin cast the first stone. I'm sad that we have not evolved as humans.

July 6, 2009 at 7:14 am |
  5. Mitchel

Hello friends and family,
    Sometimes life is obvious and yet concealed. Todd S. Purdum is one of those cases. His article is filled with hearsay and NO published sources...he does not name a single source in his article! He also does not name sources which would come forward and refute his teenage fantasy of "nailing Palin". This is the essence of his limited mind and libido. He secretly would love to "nail" her, but as his name indicates ( pronounced: per dumb ), he doesn't have a clue how to get a real woman of substance. Hence , he is resigned to publish slander. Okay, enough said about this loser called per dumb. God will humble him in short time. The following quote from his Vanity Fair article below, proves his impotence in loving women and respecting them. I hope everyone reads his article, because it will finish him as a reporter.

"As Palin makes her way slowly across the crowded ballroom—dressed all in black; no red Naughty Monkey Double Dare pumps tonight—she is stopped every few inches by adoring fans."

"Nuff said". Read the article below, if you want to see how big a hypocrite and pig that he really is now~!! Loll.

July 6, 2009 at 4:39 am |
  6. Stephen Golder

Since Bernice was allowed two posts, I will too. I know our doctors can't earn as much here. That's probably the main reason so many move to the U.S. On the other hand if a doctor has a better than average income and can practice what he/she wants to do with fewer business hours needed with paper work.....My surgeon told me he does around 200 heart operations each year, and I understand (correctly I hope) his U.S. counterpart only does around 100. I don't know about your thoughts of course, but it seems to me an experienced person does a more efficient and less rushed performance where it counts. I really wonder how an insurance company who has to show a profit managed to interject itself between the doctor and patient??! As to tax implications I don't care. I checked my recent submission and paid nothing, I earn less than $20,000 a year. The maximum I see in the Ontario Health plan chart indicates a sliding scale to a maximum of $900 paid by anyone earning $200,000 or more a year. I'm not an expert, so treat my information accordingly. To see Clay pays $1,328 per month sound ridiculous, when some legality allows them to deny your claim.

July 4, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  7. Stephen Golder

I lost my first attempt to submit a comment; never attempted this before and must have hit a wrong key. Not seeing CNN for over a week, I'm sorry I missed your president's town hall meetting. For Bernice to object the way she does about a president 'lying' she must be as old as me with a poor memory too. My severe angina attack landed me in the hospital bed within an hour of the onset, operation scheduled three days later. Be creative and do what George H.W. Bush suggested. "Ask a Canadian". Go to your 'socialist' library and find a Canadian phone book. Randomly select a name and call. Tell them you're a concerned citizen and ask their thoughts about health care system we enjoy. Is your FDA a private enterprise system? How about the 'socialist' highway system you enjoy. Our health system operates in a similar fashion; go when you want, where you want and how you want. We'planted' Canadians to be available to you in California. Larry King could interview them for you. I'd
    like to suggest a few, They grew up in our system: Jim Carey, Mike Myers, Pamela Anderson, and Celine Dion. Keanu Reeves and Ryan Reynolds, how about Ali Belshi? Don't invite Kiefer Sutherland. He'd probably be biased in his opinion. His grandfather started this whole thing in Canada. For an entire nation with three million fewer residents than your state of California, we afforded it. A former prime minister, Pierre Treaudeau remarked "Sharing the north american continent with the citizens of the United States is like a mouse sharing a bed with an elephant. " We're affected by every grunt, wheeze and slightest movement.". Maybe this mouse has a heavier experience. Google 'Sicko' as I did a few weeks ago. I wa shocked to see what you people suffer.

July 4, 2009 at 9:19 am |
  8. Dave M

I would simply like to ask " Where do American's get the idea that most Canadians hate our health care system?"
    It can't be from us but maybe they believe the ads that are running sponsored by the big HMO's or their lackies.
    If you people decide that you would rather go bankrupt and keep your present system then I guess there isn't any hope for you after all.

July 3, 2009 at 4:15 pm |
  9. tom from santa rosa

I would love to have any single payer plan that works.the canadian plan,the english plan or the tiwanese plan,congress wants to reinvent the wheel and they just dont get it.I am an american citizen with no insurance because my employer eliminated healthcare to their employees

July 3, 2009 at 3:23 pm |
  10. Anne from Canada

Canada health care system is not perfect but I would not trade it for the American system. Every Canadian has coverage. Do you have any idea what it is like to not have to worry about how you are going to pay for your health care??? My father spent 4 months in the hospital with several specialists treating him and just walked out the door without spending a cent. If you cannot afford to see a doctor then you just end up delaying treatment and in the end it will cost more. When you are sick you should NOT have to worry about money. And I especially like the idea that my tax dollars help pay for the health care of the less fortunate.

July 3, 2009 at 10:20 am |
  11. Bernice

I am hoping that the private sector can handle this without MORE govt involvement. We will all reget this in the end!

July 3, 2009 at 6:15 am |
  12. Bernice

They must think people are just plain stupid!! They begged for better healthcare stating that they had to wait in line for years! I know some one whos mom died waiting in Canada!! All of the sudden, Canada has its supporters!!! Great timing guys! I would take a guess that these two supporters are Obama supporters! He will probably pay for thier healthcare if they added this onto the blog!! Kinda like he now does while in a news interview!! Be careful Americans!! This administration lies WAY TOO MUCH!!! Look for yourself on all matters and trust noone!! He wants to pass bills now that would wipe out the American way of life! He should not be able to pass anything more than what he already did, then someone may be able to get back in office and undo this terrible damage done to us by this administration! Most Canadians hate thier own medical healthcare system! These must be Obama supporters! I wonder how much more of the taxpayers money that he had to pay them to get them to feed us more of this bologona.

July 3, 2009 at 6:12 am |
  13. Clay

John, in the vein of "Keeping them honest", someone needs to keep US (the American People) honest. We continually pat ourselves on the back for being such a "compassionate" society because we share stories about things like bringing Iraqi child victims of the War over to the U.S. for medical treatment not available in Iraq, and free of charge! (the LEAST we can do). After all , we have the BEST Medical Care in the world! All the while, we ignore, on a daily basis, millions of Americans who have no access to our vaunted system. I am one of the fortunate. I have a PPO that only minimally limits my choice of Drs., and I do have access. Self-employed, I pay $1328 per month for myself, wife and two sons. I have serious health issues and spend an additional $400/month on copays and medications. My income is about $6000 a month, so I'm spending nearly 30% of it on healthcare and insurance. As you can see, this is unsustainable long term. We ALL need to demand affordable access, and soon.

July 3, 2009 at 5:01 am |
  14. john logan

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT PLANET CHRISTINE ROMANS IS FROM..AS FAR AS HER REPORTING ON THE "IMPROVEMENT IN THE ECONOMY, AND STOCK MARKET."
    JOHN LOGAN

July 2, 2009 at 5:44 pm |
  15. Kenneth Taylor

I think the American people would benifit from a health care system similiar to the Canadian one. I'm not sure where your getting negative information about Canadian health care, but I do not think it represents how the average Canadian feels about their health care.

July 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm |