American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 6th, 2009

What’s on Tap – Monday, July 06, 2009

(Getty Images) Fans take photos of a Michael Jackson billboard covered in messages outside the Staples Center in Los Angeles on July 5, 2009.

Here are the big stories on the agenda today:

• The lottery to say goodbye to a legend.  Late last night, only a few thousand die-hard Michael Jackson fans got an email telling them they'd won two tickets to his huge public memorial.  With tickets or not, they're coming, by the tens of thousands, and they'll be watching, by the tens of millions.  This morning, we're asking: is the LAPD ready for this?  We’re also talking to two fans who were lucky enough to win tickets to the memorial.  Hear why they feel they have to be there.  And American Morning will be live from Los Angels, starting at 6am eastern tomorrow.
  • Hitting the “reset button” with Russia.  Right now, President Obama is meeting with President Medvedev in Moscow.  On the agenda: nuclear weapons and thawing icy relations.  But the real test could come later when he's face-to-face with Russia’s former president, who may still have more muscle.  Our Suzanne Malveaux is in Moscow tracking every development.
  • Many in Washington still saying,  "she what??” – about Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's decision to step down.  The man known as "the architect" of two successful White House runs was baffled by the move.  One conservative even called her – a quitter.  What could this mean for her chances in 2012, if she chooses to run?  We want to know what you think about Governor Palin's early exit from office.  Sound off right here, or call our hotline at 1-877-MYAMFIX.

Filed under: What's On Tap
  1. Ron

I am disappointed that CNN elected to spend so many hours devoted to Michael Jackson. I watch CNN for news. The continuous reporting about Michael Jackson is sensationalism. At least FOX is reporting real news.

July 7, 2009 at 6:11 am |
  2. Beverly Kamara

Are you kidding me, a memorial without a body? I believe the promoters are using the passing of MJ as an opportunity to promote their brand and to calculate future earnings from MJ's rehearsal tapes. Shame on all of them especially Joe Jackson. I have never been a fan of opportunists like Al S. and Jesse J. because they do not stand for a cause they stand for self interest and face time on major net works. CNN I recommend you cove more important stories than digging up dirty on MJ and reporting unworthy news.

I have been a loyal viewer of CNN but I am loosing interest because CNN is becoming more like TMZ, Entertainment Tonight, etc.

July 6, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  3. Paul

I would like to know if there will be a public viewing, it was planned for Neverland was'nt it?

July 6, 2009 at 9:02 am |
  4. audreypapke

Sarah's unwed daughter loves her son, though can she save him from the madness? Has Sarah also decided how he is to live his life? If he can have sex? If he can suggest his girlfriend use the birth control pill? Or is that up to Sarah as well?

Can he practice the faith of his choice? Of his mother's choice? I simply do not know how some parents become so narcissist – so mad. Sarah can barely manage her own life, yet "she knows" what others should be doing – how they should be living their lives, what their future decisions will include.

My God, she is an extreme narcissist. I told my daughter. I decided her life according to my benefit/image.

July 6, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  5. audreypapke

I never took her serious to begin with. Due to the economy, and other reasons, the people would elect a democrat. And Obama – young, vital, and filled with hope would win the hearts of the people.

If you viewed the movie "The Wolrd According to Garp," and twisted the story to the extent of a new world order according to Sarah Palin, the result of our lives was what? It isn't up to me if I don't want to have children? It is Sarah's decision if my daughter is responsible enough to get on the birth control pill? She wrongly believes there are "women out there" to take care of male union workers' elderly parents, so the privileged brat doesn't miss a day's work? What did the plan include? Beating and starving females who were not married? Beat us until we know our place – taking care of the result of her sex jollies?

How about women who never married? They could escape the slave labor camp of some male's right to ejaculate? And yes, I'm talking about the x-chromosome male retarded 30-yr-old who "want females bathing it," oh, he meant him. Have his dad clean him, or put him where he belongs – not bothering me.

Not even the pretense of work can waiver my right to privacy from another, and this does too include retarded adults and others' elderly.

July 6, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  6. stuart bellant

Can we please, please keep the coverage of the Jackson service to a decent minimum tomorrow? Not all of us are all that concerned over his passing. I'll bet most of the nation has heard more than we want already. With all that goes on in the world every day, please return to being a news station rather than a gossip rag that looks more like the national enquirer than a News Network.

July 6, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  7. Charlotte

This is the same woman who thought she could handle both being a mother to a child with special needs and the vice presidency (potentially the presidency) but now it's too much to handle the state of Alaska. Suppose she had been elected vice president and now 120 days into her term, "it's too hard."

Palin is just showing that she's an intellectual and political light-weight. The woman, touted as being able to communicate to the "base", can't even put together a cogent reason she's quitting. She runs thoughts together and needs translation when she makes oblique references. And it's all the fault of the big bad media, according to her.

Palin supporters, take heed! She's just showing her true talent, that of playing the victim.

July 6, 2009 at 8:30 am |
  8. Mark

What a putz Palin is. Had the world by a string, let it all fly away.

July 6, 2009 at 8:26 am |
  9. Spivey

I know I did not hear the comment that there two circus's coming to town, refering to the Michael Jackson Memorial on Tuesday and the Ringling Brothers circus on Wednesday. That was a very telling and thoughtless comment and I expect a retraction and apology from the substitute.

July 6, 2009 at 7:56 am |
  10. nick

Palin? the new face of what it means to go off your meds.

July 6, 2009 at 7:47 am |
  11. RJ

The FBI neither confirms or denys, well it looks like they did confirm and the FBI agent who confirmed should be fired! Its not the FBI`s job to protect Palins image! Palin should be investigated, shes a phoney and a hypocryte! I would moved to Canada if the people of this great nation ever decided to elect this moron our president!

July 6, 2009 at 7:23 am |