American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 7th, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 7/7/09

Editor's Note: With the all day Michael Jackson Memorial coverage, Some were very pleased to see the coverage and asked that CNN stay away from the “negativity” during the day. Others offered memories of the singer and what he meant to them.

• Linda T: We as fans do not want to hear all the negativity today. Pay some RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In one minute you say something good about him, the next 20 minutes you degrade him. Shame on you CNN. Al Sharpton is so right!
  • Joshua: Through out the years of time the world has lost many great talented artistes. It is sad to say Michael Jackson is now a part of that group. Michael's spirit will live on for ever in the hearts and minds of his loyal fans across the world. We must always remember the example Michael set by starting with the man in the mirror; and that's just what he did. We to need to take a look in our mirrors and do every day the best we can to make this ever changing world a better place for the people of today and to marrow. With Gods Help and the example Michael has left we all can help to make this world a better place...THANK YOU MICHAEL!
  • Earnestine: Thank you CNN for broadcasting good things about the Late Michael Jackson. I know that his family knows that many around the world is praying for them right now. I just wish Michael could have felt the love for him and his work by his fans. If I could just get one message to the family, I would like to say "God sees all and knows all.” Let not your hearts be troubled. Everything will be alright now. Michael is at home, at peace, and resting. We loved him but God loved him best. He did so much for humanity, his reward is in heaven now. I will miss him – the man and I'll always keep the family in my prayers. My tears are just temporary, but the love will be remembered though all times.
  • Linda R : With all due respect to Michael Jackson, he was a genuine gift to the arts. Talented, philanthropic, kind and gentle, terribly misunderstood and abused by hangers-on, and even by some of those he trusted. Rep. Peter King, the Republican congressman from N.Y., is an ignorant, crude individual, the personification of the "base", that tiny portion (thank God it's "tiny) of the population that still admires Bush and Palin. I read that Michael's fans are now trying to raise lots if money to defeat this moron in the next election, and I hope they succeed. His horrid insults and slanderous remarks against Michael are being largely ignored. However, having said that, I hope that after today, The 24/7 coverage will finally end, and we can get back to reporting the "real news", the stuff that concerns our survival. Also, I must add that I will really feel sorry for Larry King, who it appears has been adopted by the Jackson family. He may have to resort to "retro" stuff, like covering Elvis and John Lennon again. Seriously though, please, go back to the news.
  • David: I graduated from the Boston Conservatory of Music in 1969. I appreciate the quality of music that Michael Jackson brought into this world. I am a band, strings, and guitar teacher in public school. I am also studying to be a pastor. It is a real pity that Michael and so many other gifted people have fallen pray to drugs in our society. He was brilliant to say the least! But only one thing can give you that peace that Michael was lacking, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Peace be with you all!
  • Yvonne: Michael Jackson will live on in my memories, I have not gone to bed one night since, without having dreams of his death. I watched him in concert in Florida 1985, he left a lasting impression on me. He is such a talent. I mourn his loss and wish his family all the best. For those who has nothing good to say about Michael Jackson, I suggest you search your selves, something is radically wrong with your mind and the way you think about people, you obviously have racial issues.

Share your memories of Michael Jackson

Governor Palin was less a focus, while some still believed she was a “quitter.”

• Richard: Maybe it's just me, Gov Palin. Abdicating your DUTIES to the folks that elected you sure sounds like a quitter, not a fighter. Shame, shame.

After seeing the interview of Governor Palin with Drew Griffin, has your opinion of her changed? What do you think her next step will be? Would you like to see her in political office at the presidential level?

Filed under: We Listen
  1. Marie

I really thought the memorial was nice, it was tasteful and not tacky. I was shocked to see that they allowed Paris to make a statement since Michael's children were always well sheltered from the media. When she came on though, it put me in tears. This whole situation is so sad and my thoughts and prayers go out to the Jackson family. I hope though, that they take that clip of Paris and show it in court during the custody hearing, those kids need to be with family and their family are the Jackson's, not Debbie Rowe. A REAL mother does not "sell" her children for over $8 mill. The children's best interest would be to stay with their real family. And who cares if they are biologically Michael's or not, regualr people do what he did so why are they making such a huge issue over this?! They were Michael's children and still are...leave them be...they are too young to endure all of this.

July 8, 2009 at 12:23 pm |
  2. nancy

@ Randy ~~ July 8th, 2009 6:50 am ET

Why should the city of L.A. have to foot the bill for jackson’s memorial?
    This should be the resposibility the family and the company who organized it -AEG. I really wish CNN would ask this question!!!!!!
    If I die and my family asks the city we live in to give escort to the cemetery or any other involvement; my family would receive a bill.
    If the citizens of L.A. wish to contribute they should do so, but the city itself should not be responsible.

Boy oh boy, do I agree with you. He's got tons of money ~~ let his estate or FAMILY pay for that show. the city ought to send them the bill.

July 8, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  3. eliz wolfgang

Re Stimulus: No, it is not working because each state have their own agenda regarding this money. I thought this money was suppose to go to the "distressed areas" to put people back to work, not to the state's adminstration to relieve their "debts" that they have accumulated. I am so sick of Beiner (OH), McConnel (TN), Reid (NV) Pelosi (CA). You all are such whiners.. You need to do your jobs. The people who voted you in sent you there to help but you are so busy criticizing everything the news administration is doing. Instead of criticizing, what have you come up with. You can't think on your own. If you can't come up with a solution, you need to just shut up and let someone else atleast try and solve some of the problems that have come down the pike. I am not just blaming the Republicans/Democrats. Everyone is to blame. I am sick of all of you. You all are forgetting about the people who sent you to DC. So get off your asses and do what you are suppose to do. We don't need another stimulus, we need the states to get off of their high horses and get the money out there where it is intended. Put people back to work. Who cares about their so-called budget? The money is not meant for your administration/budget. You blew your budget. It is meant for the poeple so that they can maintain ther households, not yours. President Obama is doing the best that he can with with what he has to deal with. How about backing him up sometimes Congress?!!!

July 8, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  4. Larry

Show some RESPECT and stop clogging the news channels with this when there are more important issues in the world that need our attention.

July 8, 2009 at 7:32 am |
  5. Ray Melnik

Jackson may have been an admired and talented entertainer, but CNN had disappointed me. All the news shows have, but I expected a little more integrity from what I thought was a serious news channel. CNN is not Entertainment Tonight. There was an important vote in the House on energy yet you wouldn’t know it from CNN. A new probe is circling the moon, but I guess science is uninteresting to most. I'm just happy to know what color underwear he had in his drawer, who his plumber is, what he fed his pet lama and other compelling details. My life was incomplete without that

Did it deserve coverage; yes, but every few minutes and every show? I don’t think I can ever have the same respect for CNN after it sank to the bottom with the rest.

July 8, 2009 at 7:21 am |
  6. randy

Why should the city of L.A. have to foot the bill for jackson's memorial?

July 8, 2009 at 6:50 am |
  7. Jason

Enough about Michael Jackson's death. Tell us about the economy, the war, and scientific breakthroughs.

July 8, 2009 at 6:41 am |
  8. Jaime

It is impossible to articulate the profound impact that Michael Jackson had on not only the world as a whole, but it's people as individuals. The joy he brought and the unity he inspired through his incredible music, his selfless generosity, his kind heart, his brilliant mind and his gentle soul were his gifts to us. And for those of us who's lives he touched, he will always be loved, cherished, appreciated, respected, remembered and revered. My heart, like the heats of so many, aches with the loss and smiles with the love of Michael Jackson.

July 8, 2009 at 6:19 am |
  9. Vee

Farewell Michael Jackson; God Bless your family! The Memorial was terrific; glad this focused on his humanitarian efforts, fatherhood & relationships. I was tired of negative press reports & sensationalism! Let the dead rest in peace; we don't need to know all of the ugly details of a person's life. Who among us is without sin, let him cast the first stone. We want to remember his music and the love he shared with the world!

July 8, 2009 at 2:30 am |
  10. melissa

MICHAEL JACKSON the name says it all. He Is such an inspiration to all of us he changed the way music is he changed pop culture in history forever. Michael will be shining down upon us. And as long as we do not forget him i know that he will never ever forget us. WE LOVE YOU

July 7, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Sheree

Michael Jackson will live through his music and his contributions to the world.We love u Michael!!

July 7, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  12. joann B

I truly loved MJ as though he were one of my brothers. Me and my sisters use to ditch school and go to Fairfax high just to get a glimpse of the older brothers. Truly Michael was a real Icon that will live forever in our hearts. Its too bad the people who ridiculed him did not know who the real Michael Jackson was when he was with us.

July 7, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  13. Branae Tait

Dear CNN Team Members,

I can't Thank You for your recent stories on Michael Jackson Death. Today was over the top you deserve the Best Media Coverage your Team as hole. It was done in good taste. Very respectful. Thank You CNN. Keep up the good work the world now knows what Michael was trying to say.

July 7, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  14. Melanie

I am heartbroken by the loss of Michael Jackson. On hearing of his death a flood of childhood memories came rushing back. Things I hadn't thought of in years. As a 10 year old girl standing in the kitchen with my older brother, sister, cousin, and yes, my mom, all wearing the slickest socks we could find, like that was going to help, trying to do the moon walk. I was the only one who could do it. To junior high school dances dancing to his music and watching the boys do the robot. At home watching music videos and being energized by his music and dance moves. He was an amazing performer. I think it's sad that it's not until his death that we decide to celebrate his life and recognize the man he was. His kindness to all people and efforts to make a difference is an inspiration to me. To his family and children my prayers are with you. Michael Jackson, The King of Pop, will be loved and remembered forever.

July 7, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  15. Robert

When I looked at the Quick Vote this AM, at last count, almost 80% said they would not be watching the Michael Jackson funeral. I guess CNN didn't like the vote for the question was changed in the middle of the day.

July 7, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  16. Bernie J.

Yes it's a tragedy to see anyone die but I honestly don't think the passing away of Michael Jackson deserves all this media hype especially since we have so many still in harms way over in the middle east. As it turns out I was working all day trying to run a business as I wish many of the people were doing instead of trying to get tickets to see a funeral. Are there that many that can miss work for something like this??? Besides who wants to listen to the likes of someone like Al Sharpton. I'm sorry; what a bafoon........

July 7, 2009 at 4:43 pm |
  17. Sandra

The memorial service for Michael Jackson was truly remarkable. Hearing his daughter say he was the best father, that was it for me, tears just flowed. RIP Michael.

July 7, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  18. Ricardo Estrada

I was Lucky Enough to see Micheal Jacson 2 times in Concert as a Child about 10 years of age and the again at 24/25 years of age still have my ticket stubs, May he rest from all the people who did not see him for who he was as a man and all he did for people around the world Rick

July 7, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  19. Jimmica Vincent

I am so sad today. Everything that was said about Micheal Jackson was true and the World knows it. That would be the reason we do not want to hear anymore negative drama about his family. If the birth mother had any kind of respect or had those childrens back, she would have showed her support for them. I did not see her, I seen his mother, sisters and brothers supporting his kids and eachother. If money is the only reason to seek the kids, she can go to HELL and make her own money.

July 7, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  20. Katharine

wow that was moving and im floored and speechless, it gave me chills just watching the memorial

July 7, 2009 at 4:07 pm |