American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 10th, 2009

Stimulus meets the street

House Minority Leader John Boehner is a fierce critic of the stimulus.  He recently posted a web video featuring a bloodhound named "Ellie Mae" on the hunt for stimulus jobs.  The video asks, "where are the jobs?"

As it turns out, he should have released the hounds on his own home turf.  We visited  Boehner's Ohio district where we found the Butler County Sheriff got almost a million dollars in stimulus dollars. He's using the money to hold on to correctional officers he had planned to layoff.  If he had laid off those officers, the Sheriff says, he would have been forced to release inmates. It's his department's policy to have a maintain a safe ratio of officers to prisoners.

Meanwhile just up the road from the Sheriff we found a stimulus road project that's days away from getting started.  It's on I-75... Also in Boehner's district.

Vice President Joe Biden held a campaign style rally in Cincinnati to defend the stimulus.  To Boehner's claim of "no jobs," Biden responded "that dog won't bark."

Biden held the event outside an an abandoned warehouse that's slated to get stimulus money.  Developers want to use the funds to turn the building into loft apartments.

It was a curious spot for the event.  The project's developer says he's still waiting on financing from the bank to start construction.

No wonder Biden asked the crowd for patience.

Filed under: Politics
  1. Bernice

I am sorry, I forgot this addy .... The jobs being created now are nothing more than minimum wage jobs, or slightly above! OH BOY!!! And, he takes half for taxes?? OH BOY! VOTE HIM OUT!!!

July 13, 2009 at 7:49 am |
  2. Bernice

They want to now throw us a bone. They are only looking to have your votes in 3 years! No matter, vote this administration out before we see our country destroyed! He lost my respect, and my vote! The turtles, frogs, sheep, minnows, and the mouse was more important to this administration that the American Peopple could ever be! Vote these Christmas spenders out of our WHITEHOUSE!! Then we can actually vote for a responsible group to work FOR THE PEOPLE!!

July 13, 2009 at 7:46 am |
  3. cre

So your saying almost a trillion dollars to keep us "out of the abyss" and for that we have some corrections officers and a road project that is "days away from getting started"? This is reporting on or supporting of the government plan? No need to answer, we already know.

July 11, 2009 at 2:10 pm |
  4. Terrie

Mr. Biden I would like to say first of all you are a joke as well as numersous others from your administration. The economy in Ohio is just as bad in West Virginia and you keep asking the American people to hold on.....Hold on to what? The economy is getting worse and worse and you are on camera SEVERAL times telling one lie after another...You need to get a backbone and stand up for one thing or another. You and Obama are constatnly getting on STAGE and saying electricity prices are going to be outrageous and unemployment is going to go into double digits, while you constantly ask Americans to hold on while we are loosing everything we have. I guess you have forgotten about your campaigning and that you were fighting for Joe the PLUMBER. Well Joe and the rest of your administration the so called DOGS are barking!!!!!!!!!!Enough is enough!!!!!!!

July 10, 2009 at 3:22 pm |
  5. Carolyn Askew

That's just great! 1million $ spent out of 787 billion$ I just love it! Mean while just that many people lost their jobs. The dogs does bark Joe! And by the way those were not new JOBS. So far the only ones to get stimulis dollars are a few Execs from AIG. About 30-40 got 165-185 million$. Oh yeah and AIG is asking to payout more millions today. The rich get richer thats the dog that bark Joe. You cannot tell the people that they don't see what they see Mr. Biden! I don't know one single person that the stimulis has helped. I don't see any evidence around me in my state or city Bridgeport, Ct of any stimulis. I see signs in front of homes bank owned. I see more people at home because they are not working. I see hunger. No food in the food banks. People picking up bottles and cans for a nickle deposit! I see commercials from Jim Himes bragging about inrolling 23,000 children in Medicaid. What about the unemployed uninsured? If you get unemployment you can't get medicaid and you can't afford cobra! Can't get food stamps! Can't pay pay rent or mortgage on $350 a week!The dog does bark! As a matter of fact it's howling! Where is the STIMULIS?

July 10, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  6. Larry

Boehner has been bending over backwards lately to get his mug in the paper. He's such a critic of the current administration and as typical has no solutions of his own to get the economy going.

If the Republicans cared about their constituents over the past 8 years the economy wouldn't be in this condition.

Can you see where the stimulus is working yet idiot? Right in your own districts.

I'm from Ohio. Pack your pags Boehner. You're outta here!

July 10, 2009 at 7:34 am |