American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 13th, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 7/13/09

Editor's Note: With the Senate confirmation hearing of Judge Sonia Sotomayor commencing today, Monday’s American Morning audience voiced diverse opinion about Sotomayor’s heritage and its impact on the court.

• Jay: If someone is invited somewhere to speak for being a wise Latina woman can you really fault them for putting it in their stump speech. Anglo Republicans are really pushing a non issue.
  • Ruth: Judge Sotomayor's life is the classic American story. I do support her and have contacted my senators and my congressman. She is truly a woman of our time.
  • Bil: The question is whether the public and the Senate will be willing/able to separate the implication of statements from the facts of Sotomayor’s actions and her decisions. I hope this will happen.
  • Virginia: Judge Sotomayor should be confirmed with little debate. Her record is clear, her willingness to communicate with Congress unprecedented, and her background will be an asset to the bench.
  • Dolores: I do believe that Judge Sotomayor should be approved for SCOTUS; I trust President Obama's prudent decision-making and her decision with respect to the firefighters was based on the law. If republicans are looking for someone who follows the law, Sotomayor is the next Justice. On the other hand, if Vice President Cheney's directive to keep a counter-terrorism program secret from Congress is found true through all due diligence, he should, indeed, have to account for such dictatorial decision-making. If true, I do believe laws were broken. He was covered in Teflon for eight years; it's time to lift that slippery coating and see what's underneath

How do you feel about a Latina woman being considered for the highest court in the U.S.? Do you feel her heritage helps or hurts her chances of nomination? How do you think her background will affect her decisions on the court: will she defer to minorities or will she treat everyone equally under the law? Comment here or follow the story.

Many were still divided about her ruling on the New Haven Firefighters’ lawsuit and continued to debate the topic.

• Abednego: I am confused. Maybe I do not know the entire case. But I disagree with the Supreme Court for over turning Judge Sotomayor's decision in the firefighters' case. No court (especially the Supreme Court) should be promoting promotion on the job based on testing instead of merit. In my view, this decision carries a grave potential of cheating and unfairness in the work place. There is a potential of bribery by employees to gain access to the test in advance, supervisors secretly giving test materials out to relative or favorable employees, and so on. Unless there is something I am missing about this case, this is a terrible decision by the Supreme Court. Can you imagine a one year employee getting promoted over a five, ten or more years employee based on test and not on hard and honest work? I cannot. Is this how the news organizations promote their employees? No company or organization, especially those who use tax payers' money to pay their employees such as this fire department should be doing this. IT IS WRONG. Please tell me what I am missing?
  • Lee: I am not concerned about Judge Sotomayor's comments as I believe her incredible life experience to be a plus. I am concerned about her decision on reverse discrimination. She should have ruled in favor of the fire fighters that brought the law suit and given an opinion that the minorities would be better served to follow the example of those who take academics seriously and tell them to go back and study for the next exam.
  • Bill: I would like to comment on a few things about Sonja Sotomayor, but I still acknowledge her accomplishments. Much is said about her growing up in a project. The projects were new buildings surrounded by park areas built almost exclusively for the new immigrants, mostly Puerto Ricans. Many of the buildings in the Bronx had been burned either by unscrupulous landlords to collect insurance, or by careless tenants not used to living in apartment buildings. Indeed the South Bronx looked like it had been bombed. Of course the unscrupulous rich profited from all of this and the middle class lived in the older buildings while the new immigrants moved into brand new "affordable" buildings. As you know the "middle class" left New York City. From what I understand Sotomayor was given allowances during her education which would not have been granted to a non-Hispanic. Given that she turned around to do the same thing for non-whites in New Haven, taking away the rights of the white firefighters. I don't think the "middle class" is going to support a privileged class. They voted in New York City with their feet by moving out. Many of the "middle class" would have loved to have moved into a new building (project) with playground and park areas. Growing up in a project was a privilege not a detriment. Who inhabits the projects today. Are there a lot of white people living there? Fairness equals equality in tests.

How do you feel about Judge Sotomayor’s ruling on the New Haven Firefighters’ case? Do you believe that the recent Supreme Court overturning of her ruling will be detrimental to her confirmation to the Supreme Court?

Filed under: We Listen
  1. George

The appointment of Sotomayor will be another poor decision made by President Obama and the Democrats. The question that should be raised over and over throughout this year and the entire administration is: "What has changed?" President Obama's campaign focused on change from politics as usual. Yet, we see nothing but the same old politcal jousting that has caused so many to believe that nothing good will come from our nation's capitol. There should be no suprise if we continue to become a nation filled with apathy and indifference. This is what the bitterness and partisanship in Washington is really producing. Rather than being one nation indivisible we are one nation in disarray.

I hoped for change. I believed Senator McCain was more authentic in pursing change and had a stronger (not perfect) record supporting change. The sad truth is that I feel in some respects we elected the lesser of two evils. I sure hope the politcal forecast in this country improves. If not "exit plan" might take on an entirely different meaning.

July 14, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  2. George

Just the very fact that Sotomayor referred to wise Latina women being more capable or discerning combined with some of her judicial decisions being overturned by the Supreme Court (if reports are accurate) would indicate that her qualifications for being one of those "wise Latina women" would be in question.

July 14, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  3. A Grandmama Who Remembers

I am bothered, troubled, and in a state of disbelief that ABSOLUTELY NO mention of now Senator Jeff Session's demonstration of extreme bigoted, arguably racist actions and comments during his nomination for a federal judiciary post. The man's comments were past offensive and truly anti-American. I don't know about the rest of you but MY COUNTRY has conscientiously worked to make every citizen a stakeholder in the process of governance. When a clear bigot, racial hierarchical thinker, makes similar charges against someone who has demonstrated an amicable-bipartisan perspective under the application of the law, i become incensed with the hypocrisy. Last time I checked, make reference to ones pride in heritage while acting like a strongly civicly engaged American is something to be lauded. I empower CNN broadcast journalists to do their jobs well...present the full context of all questioners. When that doesn't happen, it lends itself to entertainment, or worse yet, propaganda. I empower everyone to do and think better...followed up with action.

July 14, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  4. pat

I think she has enough education but does she have the common sense to keep her own opinion to herself.It's more then an education it's your character Would she be fair or biased.
    Pat
    Feasterville Pa.

July 14, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  5. Jerry Rome Bass

College Grads face a catch22 situation when hiring practices include "Credit Discrimination" . Should not CC scores be confidential and you'r private information not for distribution to anyone ? What would Myanmar Sotmayor rule ? If you'r score is poor you can't buy a car, a home or get a top paying job.

July 14, 2009 at 8:30 am |
  6. Kelly

I oppose Sotomayor. She is an anti-white RACIST. Objectivity is crucial for Supreme Court justices and she is biased. She is tyrannical because she will apply personal bias instead of objective law. The fact that she stated extreme racism should automatically disqualify her the same as if a white person made the same comments. This country needs to end Affirmative Action racial preferences because many areas are dominantly black and/or hispanic and they still get "minority" preferences eventhough they are the majority. Nationally, blacks and hispanics are now more than 60% of the population so giving preference to hispanics and blacks is anti-white racism. Sotomayor will promote racism instead of ending it.

July 14, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  7. Bernice

Yeah! Is she really an American? With noone left to overturn her horrible racist decisions, what are we to do? This is a terrible mistake for our country, but this administration knows what it is doing! NRA////look out!! Here she comes! Taking our gun rights!! Here she is ...giving to the minorities ...while taking it off of the "whites"!! I think that she will vote anyway that this administration wants her to! That is just unjust!! We are losing our way of life! If this continues, we soon will lose it all. Thank you....everyone who voted for this! I love my country, a democrat, but still ...I did not vote for him! I will NEVER vote democrat again after this left a lifetime of horrible tastes in my mouth!

July 14, 2009 at 8:00 am |
  8. dustin

Sotomayor has shown that her ethinicity and gender are more important than any other qualification she has. She should not be confirmed. There are others that will at least make a better pretense of objectivity.

July 14, 2009 at 7:55 am |
  9. Mel

Sotomayor has already proven she is not a fair Judge, just look at the Firemen case. I pray she is NOT confirmed.

July 14, 2009 at 7:24 am |
  10. patsy smith

There is no doubt there her heritage is important in the way she thinks. Basically she is saying that the greater depth of one's experience enhances the ability to be broad-minded about decisions that are made. I know that when you are exposed to more diverse ways of thinking, you acquire new tools for making decisions. This means that you do not rule from a narrow point of view. She is very intelligent and very smart. She should be confirmed without political posturing.

July 14, 2009 at 7:10 am |
  11. s

all i have to say is y does this show waste most of its time talking about frivolous crap all the time?i hardly never see any news on this show.Just stuff that dont matter? do u all at am fix know what journalism is? then u all on cnn say that the zoos would euthanize the zoo animals then the zoos "say they wont do that? then u all turn around and say its a publicity stunt ;well if u knew that then why report it? I mean this is what iam talking about, u all dont report news just whatever sounds like a ratings giver;' u report ... THis show is just a mocking joke .... where is the journalism?

July 14, 2009 at 2:55 am |
  12. jim vicalvi

I believe that Sotomayor's ruling was properly overturned by the Supreme Court. However, if she is confirmed to the Court, who is going to overturn her future decisions?

July 14, 2009 at 2:25 am |
  13. jim vicalvi

I've heard her called a lot of things with "latina" being the most prevalent. However, I have never heard her called an American.

July 14, 2009 at 2:21 am |