American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 14th, 2009

Sotomayor confirmation hearings continue today

Supreme Court nominee Judge Sonia Sotomayor is sworn in during her confirmation hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee July 13, 2009 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - U.S. Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor said Monday that her hotly disputed judicial philosophy is, in fact, quite simple: Remain faithful to the law.

"In the past month, many senators have asked me about my judicial philosophy," Sotomayor told members of the Senate Judiciary Committee during her opening statement at her confirmation hearings.

"It is simple: fidelity to the law. The task of a judge is not to make law, it is to apply the law. And it is clear, I believe, that my record ... reflects my rigorous commitment to interpreting the Constitution according to its terms, interpreting statutes according to their terms and Congress's intent and hewing faithfully to precedents established by the Supreme Court and by my Circuit Court. In each case I have heard, I have applied the law to the facts at hand."

Sotomayor said the "process of judging is enhanced when the arguments and concerns of the parties to the litigation are understood and acknowledged."

Do you support Judge Sonia Sotomayor's confirmation to the U.S. Supreme Court? Tell us your thoughts.

Filed under: Supreme Court
  1. Ilona

If the wise white men are so wise, why did it take them so long to understand that "All men are created equal" "Life Liberty and persuit of happiness" includes all gender and all races.
    Judge Sotomayor was not out of line.

July 15, 2009 at 9:09 am |
  2. Luviminda B. Villacorte

To Whom It May Concern:

I like so much the choices of Words of Lawyer Sonia Sotomayor.

Choices of words is enough clue to conclude that the speaker is
    INTELLIGENT.

I am not present to any of Her speeches but I like much her way
    of speaking PUBLISHED in the Newspapers.

Please let us HAVE HER AT THE SUPREME COURT.

THANKS FOR ALL WHO HAVE GIVEN ATTENTION TO MY COMMENTS.

MAY GOD BLESS US ALL TO THE FULLEST; MY PRAYER.

Luviminda B. Villacorte
    Indabv@yahoo.com

July 14, 2009 at 12:56 pm |
  3. AJ Peterson

How well we are "trained" or not trained as a country. Take a second to think or read beyond a 10 second statement! I find it scary that people hear one comment, potentially taken out of context, and then make lasting judgments about people. As I understand it, Sotomayor's controversial speech was about the past, and her potential contribution as a female judge. A male judge had made a decision that a woman who had a child out of wedlock should be sterilized. Sotomayor's comment was about her position as a Latina and female having compassion about this situation as a woman, and yes, perhaps making a better decision in that instance because of her experience, compared to the experience of a man. Personally, since we are a country of diversity, I'm glad that our Supreme Court will continue to move toward reflecting the diversity of our country and have people on the bench who reflect the diverse opinions and faces of our nation.

July 14, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  4. jim vicalvi

When we have one judge wipe out the votes of millions and millions of voters because HE feels something is Unconstitutional and all these voters don't have a clue, The judge is the one that is Unconstitutional and violating the rights of the majority. This is called making law and judges are not supposed to do this. But, we are seeing more and more activist judges doing just this. They are using their positions to subvert the same laws that they are supposed to be upholding. Now we are looking at putting another activist, racist person on the highest court in the land. Obummer is laughing all the way to his socialist bank.

July 14, 2009 at 10:56 am |
  5. GODsDiva

I am a hispanic woman and my husband is black, and I dont agree with her nomination mostly because obamanation is backing her up. I dont think a judge should make judgements solely based on their feelings. Especially not when their feeling go against "OUR ORIGINAL CONSTITUTION" made by our founding fathers. ( not the constitution that obamanation is trying to change it to .....Diversity is great and wonderful and should be accepted but we should not just be voting for people because they are different or diverse or to add diversity.

July 14, 2009 at 9:54 am |
  6. mo

All I want to know is this: If Presidents Bush and Clinton nominated Judge Sotomayor in the past and she was confirmed, what in the world are the Republicans trying to do by asking the same and silly questions they asked many years ago?. One thing should be clear to them, that is, they should rule out 99.9% if not 100% of the latino votes next year and other years to come in their respective states.
    Thanks to them for supporting Rush Limgburg by their actions thus far.

July 14, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  7. Bernice

Mimi, no. We do not need to endorse racism! She is a racist, pure and simple! I do not want latino anything! I WANT AMERICAN! This is still America, isn't it?

July 14, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  8. osas monday

Judge Sotomayor has more judicial experience than any other justices sitting in the Supreme Court right now. The question I have is: Who amongst the sitting Justices have not use empathy in their ruling, including Alito based on his comments during his confirmation hearing couple of years ago.

July 14, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  9. Deanna Farrell

Sotomayar is a thankless example of Affirmative Action. Many of the millions of taxpayers that made her success possible worked two or three jobs, never qualifying for the enormous benefits she was privy to. I voted for Obama and hoped I would never see the kind of bias she has shown toward the firefighters.

July 14, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  10. Mimi Cappelli, New Jersey

Of course Judge Sotomayer should be confirmed. She has all of the qualifications and has an excellent judicial record. What is wrong with someone achknowledging her heritage and the unique insight life experiences bring to one's world view? Judge Sotomyer clearly has the integrity and character to separate her beliefs from her ability to impartially apply the law to her decisions. She is exactly what Americans need on the Court.

July 14, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  11. Garry

Judge Sottomayor is a remarkable judge. I understand her comment very well. Though she is going to be linshed for that raw truthfull comment she is absolutely right saying that a " wise Latina woman would come up with a better decision'" Guess who is judging her and group of white panel senator/ mostly white man. The experience of minority in America is a compelling one. As minority when we are hired we cannot be as good as our white counterparts we have to be better/we have to offer something better in order to be considered for that position. Case in point Mc Cain Vs Obama. One is the 5th from the last in his class. the other Harvard Law Review President/ I know as a doctor when I see patients, the fact that I speak Spanish & French at the hospital I am able to communicate better with patients of all ethnic background & understand their personal experiences better. I understand their fears better. I even understand what hurts them better. And as a result my diagnosis is too often more accurate than my white colleagues. I am not a racist. I know what they experience. As a judge when you are presiding over a case the Law has too often too many loopholes. One has to dicifer the intent of the Law vs the Letter of the Law. The Law was written by white men in so many arena in our justice systems. if you cannot afford a good lawyer in this country one will be provided to you. But is it the best one- NO. Abd you can be a innocent man and seat in jail. Too many innocent minoity seat in jail. Judge Marshall in the Supreme Court knew this. When one reviews his opinion it is evident that Judge Marshall made better decision than his other supreme court counterparts. The VASTNESS AND THE DIVERSITY OF OUR EXPERIENCE MAKE US BETTER- PERIOD- THIS APPLIES TO MEDICINE TO LAW TO LIFE PERIOD. AND THAT IS THE SIMPLE TRUTH. THANKS TO ALL WHO SHARE THEIR THOUGHTS. WE ARE A BETTER SOCIETY FOR THAT FREEDOM. I APPRECIATE YOU ALL.

July 14, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  12. Amber Krutak

I watched much of the hearings and have put a decent amount of time into researching her as a judge and I have to admit as a Democrat and an American I am not a fan of this nomination. Is there no one else? I don't like her decisions on many cases and I don't like her personality thus far. Next candidate please.

July 14, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  13. dennis zielinski

I cannot support her nomination....why not a wise Italian woman, Irish,
    woman,man? Is she kidding? She has no business on the court or any bench except a park bench as far as I'm concerned.

July 14, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  14. Quentin Schroder, New York, NY

Yes and do not see the point of the hearings. There are enough votes for confirmation. Why put this woman through all of this? Vote and move on.

July 14, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  15. Lida

I don't support the nomination of Sotomayer because she does not show good judgement in her comments. How can she be expected to show good judgement at work.

July 14, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  16. William Beers

I do not support the nomination of Judge Sotomayer to the Supreme Court. At a time when our nation is being bombarded by many things that are contrary to our initial constitutional formulation, I am concerned that her decisions will be based on deep personal bias. There are many issues at this time concerning laws, or activities relative to the Mexican illegal immigration factor. There are many facets of this issue which can have a profound affect on the American way. I doubt that she can, or will, vote on those issues with the best interest of our nation in mind.

July 14, 2009 at 8:03 am |
  17. pr

I am a woman of color but can't phatom supporting this appoint of sotomayor. The length of time a person spends in something has no bearing as to what they'll do if they finally reach the goal and in this case I just don't feel she'd be a Supreme Ct. Judge for all, but for THE SO CALLED WISE LATINA WOMEN instead of for the people of the United States of America.

That comment was so uncalled for and according to the press she's used it more than once. It appears to be a "cliche" of hers and has become a part of her psyche. What she did to those Firemen was uncalled for and I do strongly support:POLICE, FIREMEN, EDUCATIORS, and a my favorite people THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVE OUR COUNTRY.

We have enough racism so we didn't need her tidbit of minutae disguised as "wisdom." What is wrong with Obama? He has me very concerned now about supporting him also the way he treats former Senator Clinton as though she were his "poster girl." Obama, get it in your spirit, she garnered 18 million votes and could still rally support or you could cause many of us to join one of the parties.

Sarah Palin is alive and well on Planet Earth. Get a grip and I see the set up, was born a Democrat, but this could be a start of a new dawn for me...changing parties because the President of my party used his authority to misplace a great woman/pioneer (Hillary) and to bring in someone who really doesn't understand the Constitution that we are all suppose to defend and uphold...this is not appropriate or tolerable.

July 14, 2009 at 7:58 am |
  18. Bernice

Just like Obama ...lies just to take the seat! She a racist! She has intentions that are NOT in the best interest of the American People! We actually needed someone to look out for our best interests, for a change! This woman changes her story faster than Glen Beck changes his pink socks! What an embarrassing addition to our judisial system! Like we needed another liar to make new laws for us!

July 14, 2009 at 7:47 am |