American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 16th, 2009
  1. Chris

Best breakfast:

3 strips bacon
    2 eggs anyway
    2 slices toast
    homefries
    Glass of OJ

Healthy, maybe not but the best in my opinion. The question should be:

What is the healthiest breakfast food? Best is a subjective term in regards to a persons preferences as you can see from the above comments.

Healthiest? Any fruit, yogurt with granola, whole grain cereals,etc.

Different question, different results.

October 20, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  2. Sam

Mike is scientifically accurate, but he forgot the coffee...

Will fuel you all day, if absolutely necessary...

October 6, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  3. robin

Avocado
    Diet Coke
    followed by vanilla protein shake shortly thereafter.
    yum.

September 30, 2009 at 12:21 pm |
  4. thehummelr

Sharon of South Carolina. What!? Watching CNN? You must have just moved to South Carolina, right? No self respecting South Carolinian would be caught watching CNN when Faux News is available.

September 23, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  5. Sunshine

I agree with Undercurrent....been eating waffles with peanut butter and syrup and a tall glass of milk for years...yummy!

September 22, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  6. Vicky

I microwave oatmeal in a 2 cup measuring cup, so that it can foam up but not spill over. I can make 2 servings in the measuring cup. I add chopped up Walmart's Tropical Trailmix to the oatmeal and water before I microwave it. The trailmix has dried papya, pineapple and apricots, as well as almonds, cashews and raisins.

September 15, 2009 at 5:30 am |
  7. Sooner

1 JD sausage delite and a cup of green tea.

August 23, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  8. Bill Logan

1 poached egg cooked in a microwave in one of those polymer egg poachers
    1 english muffin
    1 cup of coffee
    small glass of oj
    multivitmin, omega -3 pill. vitamin C pill
    small slice of lean ham (size of the muffin) on the muffin with the egg
    thats it then more coffee at work 2 or 3 cups with equal and skim milk
    Since starting my day this way I have lost 75 lbs I started doing this right after my divorce 18 months ago.. I am very happy and feel great

August 21, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  9. JollyPop

I usually have a coffee and 2 cigarettes for breakfast.

August 17, 2009 at 2:07 pm |
  10. Diane Loebig

I see that you said oatmeal and nuts as part of a good morning breakfast. What about for those folks who do not like oatmeal or nuts, what is your suggestion for them?

Thanks!

August 17, 2009 at 1:10 pm |
  11. Mike

Hey there Doc,

Best breakfast possible:

3 egg-white omelete with red peppers, a little chopped onion and garlic, and spinach/kale to taste

A bowl of steel cut oatmeal with flax-seed, mixed fruit, and a drop of honey

And wash it all down with a tall, cold glass of low fat milk

All of these breakfasts sound great. I'm hungry just reading them

August 6, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  12. Margaret

The ideal breakfast for me most mornings, as an over 40, with hyprothroidisim, is a power shake that consists of: 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, 2 tbls of flax seed oil, celery, 1 carrot, 1 clove of garlic, 1 banana and a cup of frozen kale. Not the most tasty breakfast however, it has helped me to shed some pounds! I often opp for an 2 egg white omelet, with green onions, garlic, green peppers and a little low fat cheese. On the weekends, it's sometimes, grits, scrambled eggs with (evol) and low sodium turkey bacon!

July 27, 2009 at 3:12 pm |
  13. Yogi

Anything with eggs...I believe there should be a law under which you can't call breakfast as such unless there are eggs in it too.

July 24, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  14. larry

A cup of cocoa and two slices of brown bread (plain). Make the cocoa from skim or 2 percent milk and dry cocoa from the baking section, sweetened with one teaspoon sugar. Tastes good and keeps the weight off.

July 24, 2009 at 2:00 pm |
  15. Kristine

A fresh from the chicken egg, fried with olive oil spray in a hole in a piece of whole grain bread. A clementine (orange) and a glass of what I call "yomilk"; Half a glass of yogurt mixed with half a glass of skim milk to make it drinkable. That is what my son and I eat every day for breakfast. Thank goodness for low cholesterol numbers. I don't know what I would do without my eggs.

July 23, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  16. Kewpie

Everyday for breakfast: old fashioned oatmeal with granola, strawberries, blueberries, raisins, sliced almonds, coconut and 2% organic milk, lowfat sausage patty or leftover chicken and 1 piece of fruit. Skip the juice.

July 23, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  17. Deborgiö

For breakfast, I have one serving of Total cereal, then one serving of strawberries and bananas, two cups of whole milk, and 50 grams of walnuts. Its my favorite meal!

Anyone eat something similar, or have some recommendations?

July 22, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  18. stanley pratt

Make sure you get protein and dont over do carbs and fat.

Protein tells your body its OK to burn fats and sugar. If you dont eat anything, your body closes down the burning process because it may be starving and that is a defense mech. to keep you alive.

July 21, 2009 at 3:57 pm |
  19. Sharon,Daniel Island, South Carolina

Silver dollar pancakes (the size of a silver dollar), 1 egg whipped/1 tsp yogurt cheese, light fry (olive oil pan spray),2-3 slices of bacon (cooked in the oven), warmed maple syrup. fresh peach sliced into slivers,fresh blueberries. Coffe (homemade blend of african and jamaican) splendor,non dairy creamer(Liquid). While in your PJ's watching CNN

July 17, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  20. William Sommerwerck

If affirmative action exists solely to force an employment balance that reflects the population as a whole, then it should end. If it exists to reduce institutionalized discrimination, then it makes sense.

Your "discussion", as usual, barely scratches the surface of a complex issue. How does the achievement - judged either as grades or career success - compare/contrast between those who were aided by affirmative action, and those who were not? You don't say.

July 17, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  21. Bernice

Thanks guys!! Now you have made me quite hungry this morning! It's all your fault! BUT, peanut butter and maple?? lol Interesting combination! Undercurrent, altho it does sound quite strange, I may try it one day soon......for you! Thank you for the interesting idea!

July 17, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  22. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Thanks for the breakfast tip/menu. I have all those items on my next shopping list. I also enjoy all those food items, so it should be easy. I live alone and can't finish up alot of fresh fruit, but I will get some of the frozen mixed fruit bags in the grocery freezer, I hope that will do. I also have to deal with diabetes, so will make an adjustment with some of the fruits.

July 16, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  23. Anna

2 pieces of french toast with cinnamon and vanilla in the egg mixture, and an over-easy egg in between the french toast while you eat it.

or

2 scrambled eggs cooked with italian seasoning and cheese, with toast

or

GOETTA with eggs

July 16, 2009 at 6:30 pm |
  24. Larry

3 eggs sunny side up, 6 strips of bacon, 3 sausage patties, biskits n gravy and a pot of coffee. I call it a heart attack on a plate.

YUM!

Sorry Doc Gupta. I know you're adding up the cholesterol in all that.

July 16, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  25. Undercurrent

Homemade waffles topped with peanutbutter and finished with maple syrup. Seriously, it's delicious.

July 16, 2009 at 3:03 pm |