American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 17th, 2009

Buy a truck, get an AK-47

The rough economy has been particularly tough on car dealers, so many of them have come up with innovative promotions to get vehicles off the lot.

And then there's this: starting in August, Mark Muller, president of Max Motors in Butler, Missouri will be giving away a free AK-47 assault rifle with the purchase of any truck. Muller spoke to Carol Costello on CNN’s “American Morning” Friday.

Carol Costello: Tell me about this promotion and why you decided to do this.

Mark Muller: Well, last year we gave away a free handgun with the purchase of any vehicle and it went over very well. It spiked our Web traffic. We sold, we estimate, 35 extra cars during the promotion than we normally would have and this year we're trying to sell an extra 100 cars more than we would. We're just trying to generate some traffic, generate some interest and enthusiasm and it seems to work real well. We're not just going to give people an AK-47 gun. Felons buy cars, too. What we are going to do is we’re going to give them a voucher where they can go to their local gun dealer or we have local gun dealers we would strongly recommend where they can go buy a gun and go through the proper background checks so the guns end up in the right hands.

Costello: How much does an AK-47 cost, I'm just curious?

Muller: It depends. You can get a good AK-47 for $450, maybe $500.

Costello: Some people watching this might think owning a handgun is one thing, but owning an AK-47 is something else and maybe this is just a tad irresponsible?

Muller: It's a little grandstanding. But how about that guy that just had him and his wife killed that had the twelve children with the seven guys coming through the door. I guarantee you he wishes he had an AK-47 as those maggots busted through his door and slaughtered him and his wife in front of his children. The purpose for guns like AK-47s is home defense.

Costello: Police officers are shot in the line of duty all the time and they carry guns every day. So maybe some might not think that is a great argument.

Muller: Well, I'd personally like to have a chance instead of just becoming a victim. I guarantee you those guys that broke through that door that used guns to kill those people did not have legal guns and did not go through the proper steps to get them. Those are all illegal guns and I would bet my bottom dollar on it. I haven't seen the facts yet, but, look, there is a bunch of evil in the world and people need to protect themselves. We’re real firm believers – we're country folks down here.

We live down here and we’re real firm believers in the Second Amendment and we don't want to become victims. I live out in the country – 15 miles from the dealership here on 1200 acres – and the response time to my home is about 15 minutes. And if I'm counting on the police – we have a great police force in Bates County, great sheriff, great police in Butler where we live – response time is still 15 minutes no matter how great the people are and how great their intentions are. And I would rather defend myself. The only 911 call I need is chambering a round. And I think that’s the case of most people down here.

Costello: I grew up in rural America, too. We had guns in our home, but they weren't AK-47s…

Muller: How long ago was that?

Costello: When I was a teenager. 20 years ago. 30 years ago.

Muller: Things have changed dramatically. I don't know if you know anything about Missouri. Where I live in this county there is a tremendous crime problem with people doing meth and these people – they’ve lost their souls. They don't care about you, they don't care about me, they care about one thing: getting more dope.

Costello: I understand evil in the world, but I'm just questioning the assault weapon to protect yourself. That's all I'm saying. Your motto is “God, guns, guts and American.” Why did you come up with that particular motto?

Muller: Actually it's “God, guns, guts and American pickup trucks.” Because we sell cars.

Costello: But you include God in that and, you know, some might wonder why God is included in a motto that also includes guns.

Muller: You don't have a problem with God, do you? I’m just curious…

Costello: No, I don't. But the combination some people might – between God and guns – some people might have a problem with that.

Muller: We're a Christian nation. We're Christian people. 70-80%, I would guess in this nation, would classify themselves as Christians. I’d say 90% of the people in this country believe in God, whoever their God is. And to try to remove God from everything I think is a huge mistake. I don’t think we need AK-47s if more people…

Costello: That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying putting God in a motto that also includes guns might be a little upsetting to some people.

Muller: You don't think God wants us to defend ourselves? I'm confused. You know. I don’t think God wants us to become victims.

Costello: I don't know. I could ask you the question, you know, we could do the “what would Jesus do.” Would he carry a gun?

Muller: No. They didn't have guns back then, but I do believe he’d carry a sword if he needed it. But he was so powerful he didn't need any weapon.

Filed under: Gun rights
  1. swordsman2000

C.ommunist N.ews N.etwork ..strikes again

They don't like what you have to say; it doesn't get posted

"You can do things your own way–If–it's done just how i say"

"The United States of America"
    Fascist since 1913
    Police State since 2001

July 22, 2009 at 10:52 am |
  2. jackie

i cant fine that deal about cell phone ban i wish they ban it here in montana me and my family was almost kill a men was on his cell phone in montana smast the left side of the cab we were in he ran a red light i was on the lft my husand was next to me my nephew jump out the window we are very luck to be able to talk about it i still ppl on there cell whlie driving i seen them even tex

July 22, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  3. MO man

I dont understand why the reporter made such a big deal over his motto "God, guns, and American Pickup trucks". Its his motto and if people are offended by it they should get over it, because its his right and none of thier own to judge him. Kudos to him for thinking outside the box.

July 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Tere Burdett

Hope you sell another hundred truks man!

July 21, 2009 at 3:01 am |
  5. Danny

I would buy a truck from this guy if I needed one. The reporter acted as though a AK 47 is an evil weapon. Some people are evil. A gun is a tool. I think a AK 47 is an appropriate weapon when the Zombies attack!

July 21, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  6. Louis wheeler

Most of this is silly: Mr Muller is merely taking advantage of the run on guns in this country since Obama was elected. This is good marketing. Mr Muller is doing nothing illegal, immoral or imprudent. It is unlikely that his neighbors or customers will be offended.

What makes this video interesting is the fact that Ms Costello was driven by a Leftist agenda and got hoisted by her own petard. She kept trying to put false statements into Mr Muller's mouth - putting her Liberal spin on things like any good propagandist.

She was the one who brought up God and Guns. God is not opposed to weapons or tools, he merely wants us to use them wisely. It is traditional for conservatives to bring up those things which leftist, such as Ms Costello, want to outlaw.

God, Guns and Guts are a Red State tradition. It is good business for Mr Muller to combine them with American Pickup trucks - good marketing.

It could also mean that he doesn't want to sell to liberals.

July 20, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  7. ranndino

@ Bernice

"Moses was a commander of Egypts fully equipped army! It would be safe to say that they too, did not use ballbats!"

It would be safe to say that you have not a clue of what you're talking about. For someone who uses the bible to defend your views you might want to actually read it, or I don't know, check your statements on Wikipedia, at least.

You've got it all backwards. Moses fought against the Egyptians! The stupidity and ignorance of you right wing nutcases never ceases to amaze me. Moses was a commander of Egypt's army... LMAO. Good one.

July 20, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  8. ranndino

One more point I forgot to mention. The people devoid of mental capacity to see irony not only think that using god in the same sentence with guns is OK, but also the image he's using of AK-47's in front of an American flag plastered with patriotic slogans. AK-47 is a Soviet made weapon.

July 20, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  9. ranndino

This Muller guy is a very good representative of the current conservative mindset. He is so conditioned to think that liberals are out to get him and that CNN is a liberal propaganda machine that he doesn't even understand her questions. So defensive.

She basically agreed with him that you need a gun to protect yourself when you live in a remote country side. What she was saying is that you don't need an assault rifle.

Same with his slogan. Once again he completely misunderstood the question. No one was questioning his god. She was simply questioning whether it's prudent to include god in a slogan about guns and trucks. The answer is obvious. I find it said that so many of these purported Christians do not have any understanding of their own religion. Everyone thinks god is on their side. The Nazis had "Gott mit uns" (God is with us) engraved on their buckle. That's about as ironic as what he's doing.

Lastly, he mentioned meth heads and he's right, rural America (the so called "real America" according to Sarah Palin) has turned into methland with a bunch of soulless low lives running around cranked out of their head. What his small mind hasn't accounted for is that most of them have not been caught so do not have a criminal record. Thus they are legally entitled to purchase these weapons. So yeah, good work spreading AK-47's throughout methland. That's what will solve the problem of personal security. Having methheads armed with AK-47's running around.

July 20, 2009 at 1:02 pm |
  10. Mitch Ballard

For Martha Whitfield:
    “He, who has no sword, let him sell his coat and buy one,” Jesus Christ – Luke 22:36

Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears. Let the weak say, “I am strong.” – Joel 3:10

...watch out, Michael Moore will try and villify the car dealer next.

July 20, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  11. Bruce Hoff

Sorry folks, the computer made a hic-up and I thought the first message was lost.

July 20, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  12. Bruce Hoff

Dear Dipstick Muller,
    The AK-47 is a selective fire, gas operated 7.62mm assault rifle developed in the Soviet Union by Mikhail Kalashnikov. Design work on the AK began in 1944. In 1946 the rifle was presented for official military trials, and a year later the fixed stock version was introduced into service with select units of the RED ARMY. The AK-47 was one of the first true assault rifles. Wikipedia
    The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects a right to keep and bear arms from infringement by the federal government, including federal enclaves and Washington, D.C..
    The AK-47 was never designed or intended to be used for home defense. If you had the mentality you would have the common morals and common sense to offer a voucher for any form of home defense the buyer may choose.
    Ever hear "There ain't no free lunch"? How long do you think it will take for your buyers to realize they are not receiving a FREE anything? I doubt seriously you are deducting the price of the voucher from your profit line. How long do you think it will take before one of these pissed off buyers come and knock on your door to discuss it, dummy? Maybe you could peddle them as "Ripoff Defense".
    It sickens me when some fast talking con artist waves the American flag to make a profit.
    Do yourself and the American public a favor; retract your morally controversial (at best) attempt to screw the public and offer something useful like a REAL discount. What a novel idea.

July 20, 2009 at 11:42 am |
  13. Bruce Hoff

Dear Mr. Dipstick Muller,
    The AK-47 is a selective fire, gas operated 7.62mm assault rifle developed in the Soviet Union by Mikhail Kalashnikov. In 1946 the rifle was presented for official military trials, and a year later the fixed stock version was introduced into service with select units of the RED ARMY. The AK-47 was one of the first true ASSAULT rifles. Wikipedia
    The AK-47 was never designed for home defense and would most likely be determined as overkill if someone used it for home defense.
    The Constitution provides the right for people to own firearms, however I think you have a twisted view of making money by giving away vouchers for assault rifles. I would have serious doubt that you are deducting the cost of the weapon from your profit on the sale, so the buyer is not receiving anything for free.
    There Ain't No Free Lunch! And there are consequences for those who try to pass off your brand of salesmanship. Maybe one of the folks you sell a truck too will be unhappy when they realize you suckered them into the deal and come knocking on your door. Why not just offer a voucher for any form of home defense the buyer may choose. Or is that beyond the grasp of your mentality?
    Yippee ki-yay cowboy! How many buyers have you screwed today?

July 20, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  14. Lenny Herbert

I got this email sent to me and thought it was great. The problem is Carol-she's an egg sucking liberal. She has no clue about the subject. Stick to reporting on how Obama can help save the economy. I can see why CNN is getting their butts kicked all the time by FOX.

July 20, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  15. Ron Larson

The 2nd amendment is NOT about hunting it is specifically about keeping guns in the hands of patriotic defenders of our countries freedoms so many died for.freedoms that democrats want to give away.Why do you think this out of control us government wants to disarm its citizens.USA revolted against England because of a lot less then what is being shoved down our throats by gun grabbing AMERICAN COMMUNISTS in the white house.This man is truly a creative PATRIOT.A healthy government is one that fears the people who it represents not for the people to fear the IMPOSING EVER CONTROLLING GOVERNMENT.Look at England GUNS are outlawed ask them how they like that .In fact the govt there is outlawing the carry of knives.We have to stop these CRIMINALS in the white house not by force at this point but just be glad we have guns if and when it ever gets to that point.GOD BLESS A CONSTITUTIONAL FREE AMERICA.......

July 20, 2009 at 8:43 am |
  16. Country Guy

Just what we need - another gun-totin' moron who thinks he's a hero and knows exactly who the bad guys are.

July 20, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  17. Little Ole Me

In the first place it is easier for a gang member on the street or the cartel to get one here than the average joe. So lay off that part. Secondly think twice before you make a derogatory remark about guns. The dang gun doesn't go pop on it's own. Plus as stated it is easier for a gang member to get a gun than an average person. The average joe has to go through so much paper work and checks that they wait and wait now illegal weapons hit the street show some cash probably within an hour if not less you will have a weapon of your choice in your itty bitty little hands.
    Okay consider in the event of war after all weapons are removed from the average joe and someone crashes in your door then what?

July 20, 2009 at 7:12 am |
  18. Bernice

Margaret, since when would it be a formula for disaster to be able to keep our constitution in tack, so every American can protect his home, land, and loved ones? It is OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT! I would guess that a company would not feel the need to give one away if OUR rights were not being tampered with to begin with! Without OUR Constitutional Rights, Margaret, the only people having access to the guns in this country will end up being the "bad guys". Curious though. What do you think that you will end up protecting your home and family?? Your country? ...A ballbat?

And, Elliz. Even God gave a staff to Moses for him to carry into battle. This staff was said to have been held as a weapon towards its enemies and large armies were killed! Gods army also used weapons. If you study history, the wars were to have been quite bloody between Gods army and different armies they had to pass during thier long trip out of Egypt! The bloodshed was to have been massive just to free Gods people. I would not speak for God as to say that he would not use a weapon, for in the past, he did! It does not mean that you do not LOVE to own a weapon! Even God gave every man the right to make his own CHOICES! Kinda like a domocracy! Kinda like FREEDOM! Moses was a commander of Egypts fully equipped army! It would be safe to say that they too, did not use ballbats!

July 20, 2009 at 6:09 am |
  19. commentor79

This was an uncomfortable interview to watch, especially for a gun owner like myself.

The story is about an over-the-top car dealer that sells vehicles for a voucher, in this case, probably a Romanian version of an AKM modified to fire semi-auto only. Let's face it, this isn't hard news. These weapons were available even during the so-called "assault weapons ban". That's right, you could have purchased a rifle similiar to this one say in 1999.

Inviting this dealer on the air for free publicity and then beating him over the head with questions like these is a little uncalled for. It's one thing to grill a pundit on gun control, that's good journalism, but aggressively interviewing a car dealer over a soft news story like this one isn't.

CNN don't turn a quirky news story into a national conversation that the nation isn't having right now.

July 20, 2009 at 6:00 am |
  20. AK Owner

"The Devil is definitely walking this Earth. "

Yep, and he will walk right through your front door – rape & kill you so CNN can run another story – unless you have the ability to protect yourself. Those who don't believe in the Right of Self-Defense are not victims, they are foolish volunteers.

July 20, 2009 at 4:19 am |
  21. AK Owner

HEY CAROL – I hate to break the news to you, but the AK47 is not a magical death ray. In fact, those "guns you had in the house but weren't AK47's" were just as powerful. A .30-30 deer rifle is nearly identical to the AK's 7.62x39mm cartridge. Heaven forbid your family had a MORE POWERFUL .30-06 or 12 Gauge.

July 20, 2009 at 4:13 am |
  22. Mike

The idea is great. Might have worked even better if they were giving away something made by Colt or Smith and Wesson.

July 19, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  23. eliz wolfgang

The Devil is definitely walking this Earth. I see most of the people who made comments prior to mines, are walking side-by-side with him. He is recruiting his Army of Ugliness and God is shaking his head. Take care everyone, God doesn't like UGLY; he doesn't Make Ugly People, only the Devil does that. My heart is breaking.

July 19, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  24. Margaret

The idea of giving away free AK-47 assailant weapons,to sale cars is ludicrous!!! How could the government allow this action. With today's economy, I'm sure that potential buyer's would be just as interested in say, a $200.00 gas card or a gift card to purchase groceries, or an extended warranty, on a purchase, would be more useful, then doling out weapons to people who are now disenfranchises. In my opinion, this practice is a formula for disaster!!! I'm just saying!

July 19, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  25. Bernice

This is just a company trying to hold onto it's rights to bear arms! Every American right now, being a gun collector, hunter, or having NEVER shot a gun ...should register as a member of the NRA. NOW! This administration is trying to slide in through the back door to take away all of our gun rights! I do not trust them AT ALL! Google..... HR45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009. OR.. Google ...HR45. You can read up on this! Fight for your constitutional rights people! This guy seems to thnk that we don't need any rights in America! What we don't need any more, is a president who does not like our constitution to begin with. If he wants to keep changing it, lets start by our vote for the presidential election in 2012. Get him OUT of there, before we have no rights as a citizen of the USA!!!

July 19, 2009 at 5:28 am |
  26. OK J

I Hope that one day rusrus is not attacked by some meth heads and need some idiot with a gun to save him, as I would think the cracks at the collective IQ of the gun supporters being 47 might have offended some of them. Any person who is in favor of gun bans would be considered lacking in IQ (in my opinion). All the people calling for bans have obviously overlooked one important fact, In general criminals are criminals because they broke the law. Maybe its just my so called extremist beliefs that we should uphold and defend our constitution and bill of rights that make me think with common sense on the subject. The only part of that interview that I found offensive was the bias of it, I don't think the outcome could have been any better. I know if anyone ever tries to harm myself or my family I am prepared to defend myself, it might not be with an ak but I don't own one yet.

July 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Barry

delysia56, you sound like one of those people that thinks a gun goes on a shooting spree using the mind that is built into it....

July 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  28. thatnameistaken

Just a little bitter, huh proud pagan in VA? This country was founded by christians. Get over it. By the way, GWB, Toby Keith, Foxworthy, or whomever else doesn't make it cool to be redneck. It's listening to whining crybaby librerals like you and having the satisfaction of not being anything like you. Also, he didn't avoid any questions. She got her backside handed to her as usually happens when a liberal tries to debate with someone with common sense. As for the I.Q. of the country, I think you are half right. Just look at who was elected as president!

July 18, 2009 at 9:15 pm |
  29. O'Maolchaithaigh

If one is indeed a Christian, the words: "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into its place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword," should mean SOMETHING. Putting guns and god in the same motto, phrase or slogan is an attempt to show that guns and God go together somehow. The reporter did what all TV reporters try to do, hype up a story so she could get paid. The question of God and guns is a critical one in a world where fanatics kill innocent people in God's name. Anytime people begin to believe that God, or Jesus, or God by any other name supports their right to kill over anyone else's right to kill is when everyone should question the implied support of God in humanity's use of weapons. Now, either God wants every person on earth armed to the teeth, and capable of killing each other at a moment's notice, or God wants people to stop killing each other. Most people I know support the right to self defense, as a civil right, not one given by, condoned by, or encouraged by God. As for the question about AK-47s: How would most people, including the reporter, have known that there is an automatic one used in war and terror, and a civilian one that doesn't work the way we see them work in movies? The question was asked in ignorance, but that does not support the ignorant attacks on on 1st Amendment rights, and the personal attacks on the reporter.

July 18, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  30. traveler

thanks for info

July 18, 2009 at 6:49 pm |
  31. fredware

First of all, the reporter got her head handed to her. The car dealer had it all together and didn't make a single mistake.
    Unfortunately, many of you here have shown that you chose not to hear the whole interview. You argue about " what Jesus would do". SHE asked HIM would "HE" carry a gun and he speculated what he thought, big deal!
    As far as having an AK47, I knew a guy that had an intruder in his house late one night in his living room. My friend left his bedroom and fired his .44 Bulldog with a 10" barrel at the guy when he saw a silver plated subnosed .38 in the intruders hand. As the guy raced across the living room, my friend fired 2 more times into the wall just behind him like a shooting gallery as he followed the guy just before he dived out the window. My friend then called the Police. Size and sound play a major roll in the fear that the intruder has placed in you now being placed back into the intruder.
    And to the one nut job that hopes ill will happens to this fine businessman, what goes around, comes around! BEWARE!

July 18, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  32. Sir Gnome

Now I'm not a believer in the "liberal media" myth, but there are certainly incidences where a journalist puts political (hyper-) sensitivities before actual reporting.

"Some people" think X, huh? "Some people" meaning "I, Carol Costello," methinks? Does speaking of one's hypersensitive political persuasions in third person vindicate that those views aren't flagrantly unresearched, bourgeois latte chatter?

"Some people" don't think so.

July 18, 2009 at 11:56 am |
  33. nearlynormalized

Ak-47...Bright, thoughtful give-away. Last year it was a pistol, what is it going to be next year, hand granades, how about the guys wife?

July 18, 2009 at 10:50 am |
  34. Wren

swordsman2000 you are right this does speak for its self and has from its inception “The Right to Bear Arms is; as a last resort, to fight tyranny from government”…Thomas Jefferson (just slightly mis-quoted)

So for the last 200 and some odd years our Government has been nothing more than a tyranny that “we the people” are fighting? “The right to bear arms while our militia was away and we had a to fight tyranny from a government” …..Thomas Jefferson a none Christian as was the majority of our Founding Fathers. But they wanted this country to have a freedom religion. That no man and or Government would or could tell them how they would pray to a God.

You do not just read the paper you read about the men who implemented and put down the words and laws on this paper. If we still lived in a prairie type civilization, where vigilantism was still the way of the law, then hey there would not be a problem at all with all these variants of guns and riffles and semis and uzis that are out there to be bought. But we are an advanced civilization now, with hired policemen. We pay for their jobs we are taxed for all that is needed for them i.e. cars, kevlar vest, training and the list is endless.

People can quote the Bible and interpret it to fit their wants and needs. That’s the beauty of the Bible it can be translated to fit anything if a person wants it badly enough. But if you have to use the Bible to defend your stance one has missed the point completely to start with, just as people have missed the Constitution completely and use it to suite their wants and wishes. Instead of following what the legal laws written in it and what it actually means.

AND that is what really speaks for it self and declares the start, middle and end of an argument in this country, sadly.

July 18, 2009 at 8:26 am |
  35. Richard Adams

I see the redneck batallion is well represented here. How sad.

July 18, 2009 at 5:33 am |
  36. Dennis

Hey Carol, stick to reporting on subjects you have at least some knowledge of. I'm just sayin'...

July 18, 2009 at 4:19 am |
  37. Delysia56

Certainly a new low in the evolution of man! God help us!

July 18, 2009 at 12:40 am |
  38. Delysia56

Wonder how proud he'd be if one of those AK-47s ended up killing one of his children or other family members. Will he pat himself on the back for what he obviously sees a some brilliant manuver on his part. Talk about sick! This takes the cake.

July 18, 2009 at 12:38 am |
  39. Leroy Jenkins

This woman is a biased liberal who has an anti-gun agenda. Otherwise, This would never had made the news. Thank GOD for folks like this guy! I would be proud to buy a truck from him and go down and get my SEMI-AUTO COPY of an AK-47 which is NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON! It fires one shot with one trigger pull just like many,many other semi_auto rifles used for hunting or sport shooting. This guy handed little Ms Liberal her head on a platter and It makes me so happy to hear it and see someone say what so many Americans want to say.

Mark Muller for Governor of Missouri!! Maybe he would do away with the Homeland Security Memo which calls all CONSERVATIVE, GOD LOVING,GUN OWNERS Domestic Terrorist!!!

America is SICK of Liberals on TV who use the media as an outlet to push their socialist and liberal agendas. Well Guess what? God Fearing and God Loving ,Conservatives Have 90% of ALL the Guns and Ammo...Molon Labe, Comes to mind!

Good Luck Mr Muller, I hope you set a record for most American Trucks sold!! Also, a record number of the most AK-47's given away in the process and if I were able to buy a Truck, I would certainly buy it from you!

We don't need no... AROCK

July 17, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  40. John

Carol stumbled on this one. She came in with her position and tried to paint the guy to look like an idiot and quickly found herself in a spirited debate. Kind of like watching a sporting event where the favorite finds themselves in a real dogfight instead of the expected walkover.
    I also had to laugh when she was asked how long ago that she lived in the country... her first response– 20 years ago was funny... she quickly added a decade. Come on Carol... Was it more like three decades ago?

I would also suggest you or your researchers "pre-interview" your targets better next time. I think this one gave more (excuse the pun) ammo to the gun rights folks.

By the way what would Jesus do? You are funny. Didn't he take a whip to some money merchants profiteering because they were too close to the temple? Good thing he didn't have a gun.

July 17, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  41. rick

Would be more willing to buy car if it was a american made pistol! Its easier to conceal which is a right that should be protected in missouri.......

July 17, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  42. Father Nectarios

The car salesman obviously doesnt know which God he speaks of:

Christ, in disarming Peter, unbelted every soldier.

– Tertullian, de Idololatria 19
    It is well known that Jesus was born in the reign of Augustus, who, one might say, brought the mass of mankind under a single sovereignty. The existence of many kingdoms would have hindered the spread of Jesus’ teachings over the whole world …because everywhere men would have been forced to serve in the army and go to war on behalf of their country…How could this peaceful teaching, which prohibits a man from avenging himself even against his enemies, have gained sway if the whole world situation at the time of Jesus had not been made more peaceful.

– Origen, Against Celsus, 2:

July 17, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  43. Scott

I am not generally pro-gun, but this is hilarious, and I really gotta hand it to the car dealer... I think he's found his new vocation as a talkshow host on Fox!

July 17, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  44. GMoney2009

I want to be more like Jesus, you know so powerful that I didn't need a gun or even a sword... just the WRATH OF GOD! But of course, I wouldn't use it because I'd be a pacifist, and Iwouldn't need it, because I'd just turn the other cheek, because, like the death penalty, the WRATH OF GOD would be a good deterrent, unless you were like, not afraid of a Christian God like the Romans and the Jews, even though there really wasn't a Christian God yet, well, unless you're a Christian, then you think the Christian God created the Universe, but was a closeted Christian God till he gave his only son, which was really him, and a ghost, a holy ghost that is (should holy ghost be capitalized, i'm rusty on my Christian punctuation)

But anyway, he did school that CNN reporter and her pre-concieved notions of guns and God. Leftist Liberal God Hating Media.

As for the guy who was slain by gun wielding maggots, I was car jacked once, and that night I did everything wrong. SOOOOO wrong, that had I had a gun, it would have been where I didn't need it, and my assailants would have gotten to it prior to me. I was a little less for guns after that night, because truth told, my gun would have been the gun that was used in the next crime those A-holes committed.

Sorry to shatter the Cold Dead Hands fantasy. The only one that would have gone down, was me reaching for the gun, and them shooting.

Of course if I slept with an AK-47 under my pillow, the other story, woulda been a completely different scenario. And yeah, they say you sleep better with a gun under your pillow, but I doubt you sleep at all, which makes you more likely to be jittery and shooting at everything that makes a noise within 100 yrds of your home, which I suppose could offer some security because all the neighbors would be talking about the crazy guy down the street with the huge scary bags under his eyes that's always shooting up the place, and who wants to rob that guy. Instead you throw rocks at that place, and run for cover.

Robert – You Rock!

What was this article about again?

July 17, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  45. Nunyabisnes

I hear some talk about Ms. Costello "bashing" Mark, but from the outside view of someone who knows neither of these people through TV or otherwise, it looks like a simple, common-sense back and forth discussion...until the end.

Ms. Costello may very well be anti-gun and Mark may very well be a nut, but I can't see much of that here. A few things bother me about Mark, though. He's using some sucky arguments, especially towards the end, throwing platitudes and God into the mix like some sort of get out of jail free card. That may not have been his intention but that's what I'm getting out of it. The easiest way to pretend you have a basing is to repeat what everyone else is saying or to say "God likes it." When in fact people don't want to hear the same thing over and over, and that the latter is never assured since the Gods of Religion seem so keen on staying hidden and quiet.

Point is, anti-gun arguments are inherently pathetic. It doesn't help to use God, who means different things to different people even within religions (as evidenced by anti-gun people using the same God(s) as their pro-gun opponents to justify themselves) and it doesn't help to use extreme examples of self-defense, either.

You show people concrete, common sense applications of self-defense and then you get more folks on board with protecting themselves and being responsible, rather than it being viewed as a strictly religious thing or something only for the most violent of situations. The idea is to prevent things from escalating or happening at all by being armed and disciplined, right?

Anyway, that's my 2$. It's not the best-articulated, for sure, but it's decent I think.

July 17, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  46. swordsman2000

To all you Brainwashed Liberal Sheep...how does it feel to know that your party has convinced you to water down your spirit so bad that you've forgotten that you're even Human.

"Don't fight back...Tell the teacher...etc etc"...these are the attitudes that have turned this nation into sniviling little crybabies unable to think and stand up for themselves and go crying for help at the smallest sign of trouble instead of working their way through it.

No one is suggesting that the local gang-banger is welcome at this event...if you paid attention they aren't giving away the gun at the dealership, they are giving away a voucher to get the gun from a local gun dealer who will conduct the proper background check.

On that topic: Do you REALLY think that a gang-banger is going to walk up to that "Redneck's" door and buy an AK ?..No.the said "Redneck" most likely has a strong enough moral compass that will enable him to make a good decision on who to sell or not sell to....Sorry to burst your bubble, gang-bangers who use guns for the wrong reason get them from other gang-bangers who stole them, or from unscrupulous people just looking to make a buck...either way they obtain them from people of–What ?...Poor moral compass

Moving right along: Are you so naive to believe that our military is soooo big that if the U.S. mainland was attacked; our military could handle it alone ?....A history quote most aren't aware of "You cant attack the U.S. mainland for there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"...Admiral Yamamoto, Japanese Navy....Guns in the hands of citizens protect citizens from enemies home and abroad.

Now before you get your New Age sensitivites all in a bunch, I believe as you that 'We Are All One' and so on....But with being "all one", you must admit to yourself that violence is a creation of "God" and it is to be used wisely.

In closing...For as much as you may want to "Put the Gennie back in the bottle"...we can't...guns and the knowledge to make them are here to stay (barring nuclear holocaust)....You would save yourself the headaches if you would elarn to live with it

P.S. before you prepare to bombard me with Neo-Liberal insanities thinking i'm a crazy Neo-Con...If i must wear a label; it would be Libertarian...I believe in a womans right to choose / gay marriage / leagalizing pot / etc......But I also believe in Personal Responsibility; and in owning any gun required to stop whatever threat is in my path who has forgotten his Personal Responsibility

July 17, 2009 at 8:35 pm |
  47. Caro

This is a great idea. I hope someone does this near me as I need a new truck soon and would love a new gun before hunting season!

July 17, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  48. Steve

Why did God even enter this video. I'm surprised they aired this, to be honest. Bearing arms is a fundamental right as long as the person is owning within the boundaries of the law. Giving away in AK47 with a truck isn't a bad thing. Many gun crimes occur with illegal ownership of guns, not legal ownership though there are some exceptions.

As an atheist, I don't support her bashing on the second amendment as shown here. If you invade my home and try to assault me or my family, you will be sorry. Why does she even try t demonize the ownership of an AK47? It's semi-auto.... much like many rifles able to be used for hunting.

July 17, 2009 at 6:59 pm |
  49. Bryce Beattie

I would actually be more worried about the “local mentally unstable person” buying a truck, they'd be a danger to the community every time they sat behind the wheel – and doubly so during the road rage of heavy traffic.

And another thing – if I had a business, I wouldn't care if I did offend a couple of people if it meant selling a lot more product. I'd be able to keep more people employed and fight the recession.

July 17, 2009 at 6:43 pm |
  50. Brandon

Robert- You are what is wrong with this nation. I 100% believe in your right to to free speech and even in the right to bear arms... but people like you seem to think we should all believe exactly how you believe and that if it's in the Bible it must be so... The Bible thumpers of this country always love to pick and choose which verse they want to use, but forget that this is a book written by man 1500 plus years ago...it has been adapted through time. It also says every man should have slaves at that we shouldn't eat shellfish. But let's forget about those verses. More to the point of the article, there are more accidental shooting deaths in this country than there are shootings for cause, almost three times as many. As soon as these country bumpkins get in their trucks and start drinking moonshine with their AK's, someone's going to accidentally shoot one of their buddies thinking he was a deer...

July 17, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  51. Brandon

Whats funny, is his car business was booming before this promotion! He is a marketing genius! Not to mention he is one smartest people you will ever talk to. He is crazy, but a good crazy. Oh, and we sell cars to 46 states and 42 countries, so this is just icing on the cake!!

July 17, 2009 at 6:09 pm |
  52. Troy

I love this guy!!! I would drive as far as needed to buy my next car from his dealership! Thanks for putting Ms. Costello in her place. Bleeding heart liberals are whats destroying this country!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 at 6:05 pm |
  53. Wayne

I can attest to the fact that an AK style weapon is overkill for home protection. I think it is generally agreed that a reliable shotgun or handgun(personal choice would be .45 of course) is a far better choice. Assuming one is loading 7.62 in their AK, errant bullets will easily go through walls and endanger anyone else in the house. Even in an instance where I’ve got a heads up and have 100-200 ft. to pick off a would be intruder, I’d much rather have my 30-06 or a Mini-14/AR-15 than an AK.****************

Now this statement above is contradicting. AK-47 round would penetrate walls. Well, so would a .45 cal and some shotgun rounds too. So your not quite correct in your statement .

Ms Costello interview back fired on her,maybe next time she will think again before trying it again. In the economy these days, I give him credit for trying something different to stay afloat. Thos of you that think guns should not be owned by the American citizens, then be sure to duck when the time comes.

July 17, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  54. Shamoo

Buy a truck and get an assault rifle ! Thats a shame.

Give the guy national air time ? Thats unfortunate.

Reporter , car dealer debate ! Ridiculous !

CNN , you gave up reporting the news a long time ago. This story is more about pathetic pseudo jounalism than anything else.

July 17, 2009 at 5:11 pm |
  55. Wayne

Carol Costello, an AK-47 is no different then any other semi auto rifle. So what's your point! If they were giving a free semi M1 carbine, semi shotgun,semi 22, would you be saying the same thing? Your just exploiting the issue just because it is a AK47 Try to remember it is not the gun that kills, it's people. There are gun enthusiast all over the world and no incidences has happened by them.People like you always try to dramatize the bad issues about the gun when there isn't any.

July 17, 2009 at 5:09 pm |
  56. Robert

Thanks for the oportunity to express thoughts and thanks to all for expressing their thoughts. CNN provides open forums and obviously allows for varied opinions and I can think of nothing more American nor freedom inspiring than being in a country and in a time that this can occur.
    We have broached the subject from many perspectives covering gun ownership, freedom of the press and opining on its limitations. We have covered states bigotries over one another and assigned IQ levels to others without even needing to go through a testing procedure to accomplish that task. We have stated we would buy a truck from Mark and we might move to Missouri. All in all a good sign, America is strong and active and we have opinions we are willing to defend. Thanks to Carol and Mark today.

July 17, 2009 at 4:49 pm |
  57. Jonathan

I think he should brush up on his bible reading...

Matt 26:51 "Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword."

Matt 7:15-23 "“Be on the watch for the false prophets that come to YOU in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. By their fruits YOU will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? Likewise every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit; a good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, neither can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. Every tree not producing fine fruit gets cut down and thrown into the fire. Really, then, by their fruits YOU will recognize those [men]. “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness."

July 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm |
  58. Proud Pagan in VA

First, you may be christian people, but this is NOT a christian nation. Don't believe me? What's the OFFICIAL religion of the US? None. Go ahead and TRY to pass a law adopting ANY form of christianity as the official religion. The majority of christians only believe in religious freedoms as far as they relate to THEMSELVES and those like them. I'm sick of it. Believe whatever you want, but don't you DARE try to push it on me. Buncha self-righteous blowhards.

Second, I don't see a single bit of this interview where he turned it around on Carol. In fact, it was little more than the Machine Gun Man avoiding the question long enough to push for bazookas in elementary schools. (you know, so kids can protect themselves from those bullies who have slingshots.)

Third, rednecks.. go away. I remember a day when it was considered in poor taste to be a redneck. Now, thanks to George W. Bush, Toby Keith, and Jeff Foxworthy, it's considered COOL to be a redneck. It has made America the laughing stock of the globe and has effectively reduced the mean IQ of this country to just below that of a cucumber.

It's sickening. How about re-evolving into rational, thinking folks?

July 17, 2009 at 3:52 pm |
  59. Robert

Just to keep Carol straight on Jesus and God and swords:
    The sword was used: by the patriarchs (Ge 34:25; 48:22). By the Jews (Jdg 7:22: 2Sa 24:9). By heathen nations (Jdg 7:22; 1Sa 15:33) Often sent as punishment (Eze 14:21). Was one of God's four sore judgements (Eze 14:21).Was brandished over the head (Eze 32:10). In time of war, plowshares made into (Joel 3:10). In time of peace, made into plowshares (Isa 2:4; Mic 4:3). And Of persecuting spirit of the wicked (Ps 57:4; 64:3; Pr 12:18).

Whoa, tired of typing the truth about weapons of the bible. The list is exhausting if not exhausted.

Jesus was very powerful and of course allowed his crucifixion/sacrafice as lesson and gift to all. His most powerful exhibits were in lessons taught – even in allowing his own destruction.
    Make no mistake Godly powers were capable of ordering the total destruction of others, ie Canaanites and all that (Ex 23:23-24; Dt 19:1; 31:3-5).

The guy is a good christian, he knew of what he spoke. Car salesman is solid thinker and accurate. Probably owner of dealership, certainlly owner of self.

July 17, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  60. Brian from NJ

Martha Whifield, I can play too:

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Luke 22.36

July 17, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  61. Bothered

" It is 100% ILLEGAL for a criminal or a drug addict or an alcoholic or a mentally unstable person to buy a gun. Period. In case you weren’t paying attention, the dealer isn’t handing out rifles as keychains. They are giving truck-buyers a gift certificate to be used at a local gun store. The recipient can use it to buy the gun of his or her choosing, assuming he or she is eligible and passes the background check performed by the gun store under penalty of law, just like any other customer who walks in off the street."

That is how Virginia Tech and all the other shootings that were done with legally bought weapons by a mentally unstable person were stopped right? It's obviously not working so lets give the gun shops some more business.

July 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm |
  62. Gun Man

To the Anti-gunners – How dare you tell me how I can or can not protect my life and those of my family!!

For me it's part of my way of life.

Most AK-47's are not fully automatic. They are semi-automatic, clip fed. Very accurate and fun to shoot. I would wager that most people that are against those black evil guns, would change their mind once they were taught safety and had a chance to shoot one.

Red Neck and proud of it.

July 17, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  63. Brian from NJ

Rudie, I'm appalled at the fact that you claim to be a gun owner and have such little knowledge about ballistics and the over-used-and-seldom-understood "over penetration." Let me put this simply: ANY caliber firearm that is suitable for home or self defense will go through a standard interior wall. If your choices for home defense are a .45 and/or a shotgun (loaded with buck, I hope), that is your business, but please know that both of these oh-so-common recommendations have been proven to penetrate MORE than a .223 rifle round (Galil AK's, Saiga AK's etc.) even in an urban environment. That is precisely why AR-15s are replacing the common MP5 sub-guns that many tactical and entry teams once carried. As for the AK, a standard 7.62×39 might be suitable for the living conditions of many Missouri residents (do you live on 1200 acres in Cali?). But then again, you completely throw me off when you say you'd rather have a .30-06 than a 7.62×39. Are you being serious, or just trying to build up some street cred by throwing some gun jargon out there?

Also, please be sure of what you're talking about when making reference to the Bible. Regardless of your thoughts on Jesus, the fact is that there were at least 2 swords carried by his disciples and, in one account, he urged those who did not have one to sell their belongings and buy one.

But then again, my points are moot because he is NOT GIVING AWAY AK-47S! He is giving away VOUCHERS/ GIFT CARDS to local gun stores.

July 17, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  64. Woody Hall

He made her look like a complete idiot. If I could afford a new truck I would buy one from him. I live in California, they don't like any kind of guns here, especially assault rifles. Only the criminals have them here.

He is right on with his comments about defending himself and his family.

Don't come into my house looking for money to support your drug habbit or for any other reason without my permission. You may have to be carried out in a bag.

I love his attitude and his stance on his promotion. I hope he sells 250 trucks.

July 17, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  65. Tom

@Rob: American assault rifles are more expensive.

Frankly, it was a pathetic display of yellow journalism that was turned around used to bite the "journalist" in the butt. CNN, are your standards really this low? Is factual reporting really that difficult?

July 17, 2009 at 2:58 pm |
  66. mike

if thew people get upset with puting god together with guns thats their problem... wwjd who really cares the fact is that we have thre right to bear arms and its out constitutional right if i had the money i would have an mp-55 ar-15 and an ak 47 why does the media seriously get involved in things that dont concern them..

July 17, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  67. Sandie

The media, with CNN at the top, has become a bunch of left winged yes men. What happened to reporting the facts and keeping your personal views or opinions out of it? What happened to finding out the WHOLE TRUTH? That's why this Country's in the mess we're in now!
    We're only getting the parts the Administration wants us to hear regarding the policies, appointees, stimulas etc. The entire truth and consequences are getting left out. At one point i had a lot of respect for reporters, now.....all i see is a bunch of spineless, take the easy way out, yes men!
    As for Carol Costello....If she grew up in a rural area it must've been in a subdivision built on land a developer bought from a broke farmer. I live in the country/rural area and I'm her to tell ya, youd have to pull our guns out of our cold dead hands! I wouldnt mind getting a gun with my truck and neither would any of my neighbors!

July 17, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  68. Brian from NJ

Maureen, if more people in Missouri were like this guy I would move there in a flash. I live in the 2nd most anti-gun state in the country where a promotion like this would be tantamount to eating a baby on live television. It gives me hope to know that there are still people who know the law, know what's right and stick up for it.

Frankly, it's disappointing to hear you say that you're concerned about a "local mentally unstable person" getting his truck and being given a gun for free. This shows how undeducated the average CNN viewer is regarding guns and the laws that regulate them. It is 100% ILLEGAL for a criminal or a drug addict or an alcoholic or a mentally unstable person to buy a gun. Period. In case you weren't paying attention, the dealer isn't handing out rifles as keychains. They are giving truck-buyers a gift certificate to be used at a local gun store. The recipient can use it to buy the gun of his or her choosing, assuming he or she is eligible and passes the background check performed by the gun store under penalty of law, just like any other customer who walks in off the street. Why mention the AK-47 in the ad? Because it stirs up controversy. That's just brilliant marketing.

Finally, I find it equally disturbing that you don't have a single problem with the fact that a mentally unstable person can legally buy a 6400 lb. Silverado, capable of a lot more destruction in the wrong hands than one medium-caliber, medium-range semi-auto rifle that a buyer may or may not get.

July 17, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  69. rudie

This story only goes to show that there are still strange stupid people in the Unites States. As an owner of a MAK-90(in California no less), I can attest to the fact that an AK style weapon is overkill for home protection. I think it is generally agreed that a reliable shotgun or handgun(personal choice would be .45 of course) is a far better choice. Assuming one is loading 7.62 in their AK, errant bullets will easily go through walls and endanger anyone else in the house. Even in an instance where I've got a heads up and have 100-200 ft. to pick off a would be intruder, I'd much rather have my 30-06 or a Mini-14/AR-15 than an AK.

As for associating God and guns, this guy's assertion is ludicrous. Perhaps if he bothered to read the Bible he would understand that Jesus would not carry a sword nor any other weapon. Jesus was by and large a pacifist. Perhaps if Jesus had carried a sword he wouldn't have allowed himself to be crucified, but obviously that would contradict his teachings. And this is why mixing religious dogma with personal opinions is dangerous; it gives the impression that men are allowed to do whatever they please because God said it was ok. This also undermines the sanctity of religion.

In regards to Carol Costello getting being put in her place or not reporting well... I guess that's all in the eye of the beholder. As a reporter Carol did do a good job in that she asked a question that elicited a passionate and telling response from her subject. In my eyes, Muller's response makes him look like a zealot, connecting his religion with weapons and violence. How is this any different from the jihadist that claim they must defend themselves from Christian heretics?

Let's keep this in perspective people, Muller is a car salesman trying to make a buck. He doesn't give a rats ass about you or your family's safety. Rob brings up a good point; why doesn't he give away more All-American guns, like Mini-14s or ARs or even Keltecs? Well probably because they are more expensive. Muller is simply trying to garner publicity and money. A sad commentary on America if you ask me.

July 17, 2009 at 2:34 pm |
  70. Wren

Okay so if all Americans are armed, why are we paying for the training and then job placements for policemen?

I really get this love for metal and chrome rapid firing instruments that seem to be security blankets for the people in this country. It is not those with "rap sheets" one has to worry about anyway. It is the James W. von Brunn's and Christopher Bizilj's that 'should' make people with common sense and a conscious pause and worry.

But no one really cares about that as long as they have their semi's and bullets and are free to "fire em anytime they feel like, after all this is America".

So gun toters help out this country and oust the police sense you're armed to the teeth and can protect yourself and your neighborhood. One less tax to worry about and you get to play with your semi toys.

July 17, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  71. Robert

Sorry, can't let this slide

Maureen stated, "but my concern is with a local mentally unstable person who goes in to buy a truck and gets this gun for free." Did you miss the part where Mark Muller stated, and I quote, "We’re not just going to give people an AK-47 gun. Felons buy cars, too. What we are going to do is we’re going to give them a voucher where they can go to their local gun dealer or we have local gun dealers we would strongly recommend where they can go buy a gun and go through the proper background checks so the guns end up in the right hands."

So then, I suppose that Maureen of Missouri, can't read but is fully willing to comment. That must be a trait of her area. The good folks of Kentucky and Arkansas must be amazed that Maureen thinks so little of them. Fortunately the wiser folks of Missouri, like Mark Muller, bring a bit of class to the state.

I am so happy to see Mark Muller's auto sales business continuing when so many have closed due to Detroit's foulups and the economic downturn hurting so many. It is quite a testamony to good businessmanship to be able to forge ahead in spite of the downturn. I hope he and other entrepreneurs like him continue to flourish, it is what our country needs.

He was calm and articulate when being harrassed, he was accurate when pushed to err, he was sure to explain a well thought out reasonable approach to providing law abiding citizens the benefit and to deny the felons the benefit by allowing professional gun shops to vet the purchasers of the advertized guns.

By the way I am Ohio born and bred and married a Kentucky girl (you know, a UK girl with Adolph Rupp blood in her veins.)

July 17, 2009 at 2:11 pm |
  72. RusRus

All the bonehead responses in here just strengthen my belief that IQ tests should be mandatory for gun ownership, as it appears the collective IQ level or the responders here does not equal 47, and I am surprised they managed to spell AK. Keep up the good work boys. This story proves the dumb redneck theory is real and not just a myth.

Any of you clowns clean your ear with your guns? I really hope so, otherwise its going to take one of your drunk friends to shoot you by accident for us to get rid of your stupidity.

July 17, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  73. swordsman2000

This is yet another blatent anti-gun oriented "News" article...Another CNN reporter deliberately misrepresented a story on AK-47's once before; and they were busted on it

They should be called C.ommunist N.ews N.etwork

"Cops have guns; and they get shot all the time"...Okay genius, so lets take guns out of cops hands because they get shot at !!!....Has the world REALLY gotten that retarded ?!....I seriously think CNN has a radical liberal think-tank come up with these questions and perspectives for their Anchors....The again people have become more brainwashed into being panty-waisted crybabies; so who knows

I have a shotgun; which is more deadly than an AK-47...but if 7 or more people broke into my house, I'm reaching for the AK due to higher volume of fire.

"Guns kill people like spoons make people fat"

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"

"I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy"

"Anyone who wants to disarm you wants to control you"

"A fear of weapons is a sign of sexual and emotion immaturity"...Freud

"The STRONGEST reason for the people to retain The Right to Bear Arms is; as a last resort, to fight tyranny from goverment"...Thomas Jefferson....That should put an end to that arguement

July 17, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  74. Edita Karcag

"Shot down" any truck-dealrship...... one way or other....?! Any of them who offer free guns. How deep is the filth we live in in America?...
    dee, AZ

July 17, 2009 at 2:02 pm |
  75. RusRus

Wow god and guns, hhhmmm if he was a muslim everybody would be screaming terrorist, but the good ol boy network is just fine. These god/gun lunatics are just as, if not more dangerous as any terrorist anywhere. What a ridiculous marketing concept, just call it marketing and its ok? I guess this goes to prove that stupid is as stupid does. That dealer is a lunatic. I laughed when he said Jesus would have carried a sword, perhaps IQ tests should be required before anybody is allowed to give away guns? What an excuse of living in a rural area, and needing the weapon to defend one self from meth addicts. I hope the meth addicts get him real good, he is one of those people I would not shed a tear for.

July 17, 2009 at 2:01 pm |
  76. Rob

LOL! Comments like this show the true color of your neck!

" I would expect it from the more stereotypical southern states (Arkansas, Kentucky, etc..) but not Missouri. "

July 17, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  77. Yeah

GOD BLESS BATES COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  78. Martha Whitfield

And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. {52} Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into its place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
    Matthew 26:51-52

July 17, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  79. Southern Man

Maureen – you apparently did not listen to the piece. He is not giving guns for free like calculators. He is giving a coupon of sorts for one and then the person who gets it has to go to the/a store and go through the usual back ground checks.

As far the the location he lives in, you would not be attempting to be prejudice against people from the south would you? What is the difference whether he lives in Missouri or Kentucky? That is a non issue. That would be like someone from New York saying people from Missouri are simple minded. There is no basis for such a statement.

July 17, 2009 at 1:12 pm |
  80. Tom

The job of a reporter is to report, not give opinions on the story at hand, not to use the show as your bully pulpit and not to talk over someone while he/she is attempting to answer the question you just posed to him/her.
    Reporting is about objectivity not subjectively – Carol C. with all of her voice inflections and body language should be read the riot act and take a refresher on journalism, that's if she took the course in the first place. It's a shame that 'some reporters' are more 'readers' than the aforementioned. Even John (aka Ted Baxter) is guilty of this and I'd expect more from him as well considering he's from Canada as I am.
    By the way, the guy with the creativity is exactly right and spoke well for himself. I'm just sayin' . . .

July 17, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  81. Rob

His argument is faulty.. Why isn't he giving away American assault rifles? Huh?

July 17, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  82. Robert

I have always enjoyed CNN and other news programs but Carol Costello is making a fool of the word newsworthy. She obviously has an antigun bent and is promoting that ideology using the media pulpit to do so. It is interesting that this dealer has this promotion and I don't have a problem with his method. Innovative sales is good. Costello tried every trick [talking over him, interrupting him, misstating his words and rewriting his clever use of a phrase, “God, guns, guts and American pickup trucks,”in the book to demean him and to get her position to dominate. He was sharp and calmly put her in her place. She made me wonder if CNN does actually have an anti gun agenda that it is promoting whenever possible. If so, shame on them for trying to form policy rather than report the news. I do think she has attempted to produce news rather than report it. This week has not been good for Costello, she has been handed her hat a couple of times [and has stated that to Roberts following todays debacle.]

I have nothing but disdain for the comments of Sudarshana. We probably can guess who the creep really is in that commentary. Shame on you for your lack of perspective.

Good luck to Carol Costello, I am afraid that, if she doesn't reign herself in, we will be seeing less and less of her.

July 17, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  83. Maureen

This guy gives Missouri a bad rap. We are not all like this. I would expect it from the more stereotypical southern states (Arkansas, Kentucky, etc..) but not Missouri.

I think she had every right to question why put god and guns together because there is probably a decent portion of the population that would have a problem with those two words in the same motto. I'm all for people's right to bear arms, but my concern is with a local mentally unstable person who goes in to buy a truck and gets this gun for free. I think giving guns away like a free calculator is pushing it a little too far.

July 17, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  84. Another 'Southern' Guy

I really wish I could afford a new truck! I would buy his!

July 17, 2009 at 12:25 pm |
  85. Ms. Kansas

I live in the KC area and wouldn't necessarily buy a truck from this guy but I was impressed by him and disappointed in CNN. He stood up for what he believes in and didn't try to be politically correct which is more than I can say for Carol. She blew this one for sure. She did OK until she asked him if it was OK to use God and gun in the same sentence...really? Filling up airtime or did she really mean to say that? The AK-47 play is a gimic; he handled that part well. My favorite was calling the Florida killer maggots or something along those lines.

July 17, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  86. Joey D. from Dallas

I was disappointed watching Carol Costello on your American Morning program bash the owner of a car dealership in Missouri for offering AK-47 vouchers if the buyer purchases a truck from them. This is his right and no one should criticize him for that.

Carol also bashed the 2nd amendment in general, which obviously means she does not believe support the right to self-defense. She also bashed the guy because he was proud to be a Christian, a God-fearing American, and took issue with him because he mentioned "God" and "guns" in the same sentence.

And even after Carol covered the Virginia Tech shootings, she still cannot comprehend the value of self-defense and owning a weapon. I hope 911 is sufficient for her someday when her life is being threatened by a thug.

In my opinion, the anchors on the CNN American Morning program appear so godless, so un-american, so out-of-touch with American heartland values that it’s truly pathetic. They appear to be blatantly , anti-god, anti-gun, and obviously very pro-socialist and big government.

I say, hey Carol, leave this guy alone to generate truck sales and stop making fun of people who want to exercise their 1st and 2nd Amendment rights to worship their God and also to defend themselves in peace.

July 17, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  87. James

You tried to bury this guy with shame and make him look stupid. Unfortunately it appears to have backfired.

July 17, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  88. Southern Man

Chuck: How is this ludicrous and irresponsible?

July 17, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  89. Ryan

Surprise, surprise, more liberal media demonization of the "eeeeevil AK-47". Talk about brainwashed.

First off, civilian AK-47's are NOT fully automatic; they are semi-automatic. They are excellent home defense weapons, especially in cases where you have multiple assailants.

Second, that bullcrap argument about police carrying guns and still getting shot in the line of duty demonstrates how little this reporter knows about guns and issue of self-protection in general. Anyone with any tactical sense knows that the element of surprise is the most important advantage in a combat situation. Cops, simply put, are easy to spot, and criminals know they are armed. An armed citizen on the other hand is not easy to spot, and criminals in general do not assume a citizen is armed, whether inside or outside of the home. Therefore, an armed citizen can utilize a gun more effectively in a self-defense scenario than a police officer in most situations.

Military-style semi-automatic rifles are used in only a small fraction of a fraction of shootings, and that cute little "assault weapons ban" of '94 did absolutely nothing to curb gun violence. All it did was tilt the balance of power in the criminal's favor. As an AK-47 and AR-15 owner, I'm sick of all this "evil black gun" bullcrap. I'm not some gun-crazed wacko; I'm a responsible, tax-paying citizen.

It's time we start listening to our brains, not media-conditioned emotional responses.

July 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  90. Chuck

This is about as ludicrous and irresponsible as can be.

July 17, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  91. reg. joe

wow, this guy really gave it too her. she should have stuck to her talking points that "guns are evil!!!" and maybe she would have done better.

what really surprises me though is people like Sudarshana (who commented) dont even understand or pretend to respect the constitution. it amazes her that the constitution gives people the right to bear arms? how about the right to free speach, not have soldiers quartered at their homes, speedy trial, ect. try taking a history lesson and thinking for yourself rather than spewing the crap you hear on cnn and nbc. there is a reason the const. protects our rights. look through history, nothing good ever hapened when a govt. took the right to bear amrs from the people.

this car dealer was great and if i was in the maket for a pick up i would drive half way across the country to buy it from him.

July 17, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  92. Southern Man

I would have to add that I am surprised that CNN aired this story as well. Thank God for men like this and their creativity to try to save his car business. The fact is that many will be appalled at the story but he represents more people in his thinking than the anti's would like to think. The fact is when people know you have a weapobn and are prepared to defend yourself, your home/family or business then they will go sown the road to the location of the person who desires to show outrage for such a thing. If I needed a truck, I would go to this dealership just to be supportive of someone who clearly speaks his beliefs rather than hides behind the curtain of political correctness.

July 17, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  93. David Beck

First the rifle being given away is not an AK-47 which is a machine gun capable of automatic fire. The rifle being given away is a semi-automatic rifle which isn't much different than what many people use to hunt or target practice with. Please quit calling semiautomatic rifles by their full-auto names. The car dealer handed the CNN "reporter" her head, she needs to get more indoctrination from the liberal bosses at CNN to be able to paint this guy as a loon. The car dealer was very good at expressing why someone might own such a weapon and she couldn't believe that Guns and God belonged in the same sentence. What a dope.

July 17, 2009 at 10:43 am |
  94. Sudarshana

Two things amaze me- 1. CNN actually aired this story. The constitution gives private citizens the right to bear arms, and the ban on assault weapons has been lifted, why give creeps like this guy airtime?
    2. Ms. Costello got chewed up and spit out by a car dealer from Missouri who managed to very effectively put her on the defensive when he questioned her personal belief system. Honestly, what did Ms. Costello's beliefs have to do with this interview? This guy did not have an answer to her question , so he got around it by making a personal attack on her and she fell in to the " what would Jesus do" trap. Bad journalism all around, definitely not what I would have expected from Ms. Costello and CNN.

July 17, 2009 at 10:21 am |