American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 20th, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 7/20/09

Editor's Note: Monday’s American Morning feedback was solely focused on President Obama's health care reform. While the majority were in favor of reform, those opposed remarked that “the swampland of government we have” will not provide decent health care.

Pro-Reform

• Susan: The rich in this country have the ways and means to find all of the loop-holes so they don't pay the amount of taxes they should in the first place. It’s the middle class that carries this country, and being part of the middle class in this country, I have no problem with the rich paying more.......
  • James: I listen to the news about health care reform and I hear our law makers say that people don't want reform, who are they asking? I spend over $1500.00 per month for my wife and I on health insurance and still have to pay the 20% that the insurance won't cover. The people we talk to are not happy with their health insurance the only thing I do not think is right is taxing the rich I am not rich but would be willing to pay tax's for health care. Base it on income.
  • Haydn: I am very much for Obama's plan for health reform. Yes, the financing of it will always be controversial because the plan is helping the disadvantaged. The economic elite should see this as rather adding to the stability of the body politic. Its an important opportunity to reform Medicare and Medicaid so that people wont have to lose family assets because of a 'catastrophic' illness. Costs have got to be controlled in a reasonable way.
  • Bob: The time to fix healthcare is now! With 47 million uninsured, the cost is passed on to everyone at a premium price when they receive care. The only way to stave off high health cost is to provide all Americans an opportunity to receive quality healthcare at a competitive rate.
  • Ruth: Of course we should have coverage for 100% of Americans. Of course we should tax the wealthy to help pay for those who can't. When folks are healthy, they can work and pay taxes. When people's health costs come down, they can buy more products and services and these create and maintain jobs. Universal health is a no-brainer. Do we have the best health care in the world? Experts say, "no." Experts we have the most expensive! We should do this now! Thank you for your coverage of this issue.
  • Sanford: I fully support President Obama's efforts to get healthcare legislation sooner rather than later. I do not object to taxing the wealthy in order to achieve this. After all, the wealthy have benefited from eight years of Bush tax cuts. Healthcare legislation must have a public option. Why shouldn't all of the American people receive the same government-supported health benefits that members of the Senate and House receive, even those who are against granting those benefits to the rest of us. It is time for some LBJ-style arm-twisting.
  • Jerry: You keep framing heath care taxes as payment by the rich or with payroll taxes. Why not tax both? Just an idea from a retired person worried about Medicare.
  • Maxx: We keep hearing the detractors complaining about the Health Care reform bill and how it will not pass but I do not see anyone one either side of the aisle offering any alternatives to the American Public, it seems that if you say no it will not pass that there should be a "but. . . maybe with these modifications or changes it could".

Anti-Reform

• Diane: This swampland of a government we have cannot give decent healthcare to our military or our veterans....so it is indecent to even consider giving healthcare to people here illegally.
  • Niel: The healthcare push would have had better chance had not been preceded by a grab by the feds for control in so many areas. The populace is finally waking up to that socialization and are recoiling from Washington’s major control of such a massive percent of our economy.
  • Tom: It's not that we don't want to see some sort of Healthcare Reform. But these plans which the President is trying to rush through are a disaster in the making, both for our economy and those just hanging onto their jobs, Taxing the rich is NOT the answer. Throw out the current proposals and start over!

What is your major concern about heath care reform? Share your thoughts with us.

Filed under: We Listen
  1. Thor H. Asgardson

Has anyone questioned why Resident Obama is multi-tasking at such a furious rate?
    The Great Imposter is doing everything under the sun, in an effort to distract the American people from the one thing they are asking him to do, in the way of proving his American citizenship.
    Resident Obama has spent a million dollars on lawyers to block access to dissemination of this vital information.
    Obama has left a smoking gun, pointing to the murder of the Constitution.
    If the glove fits, you must convict.

July 29, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  2. Shannon

Everyone has good points to be made.....but...I have a question for congress and obama....

If the health reform bill is so great, why is congress and pres opting out of participation. If they believe it is so wonderful, even though there are so many questions about it by the American citizens, any that for vote for it should mean mandatory participation in the plan, including pres obama and his family. Should be no problem to congress to be in the plan if it will be such good coverage. Good enough for the rest of us, but not good enough for them?????????

July 21, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  3. gordon lee

I am a Canadian who has worked in the United States for 4 of the last 8 years. I saw the advertisement this morning showing my fellow country woman telling Americans that government health doesn't work in Canada. In my opinion nothing in any system is perfect and there will be mistakes, however,watching your clip yesterday about the free clinic in Knoxville hit home the need for everyone in America to have health care. I can assure you that there is no line up like that in the Canadian Health Care system. As for paying for this health care, again maybe my Canadian roots take over but Alchohol and Tobacco in the US are extremely cheaper than in Canada. Would not a tax on those 2 items assist greatly in paying for this health care cost?

July 21, 2009 at 12:53 pm |
  4. Don

Make it private or make it public, but make it happen. Legal US citizens should have uninterrupted health care coverage or access regardless of moving from job to job or state to state.

July 21, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  5. Anne from Canada

I remember Katrina. I remember watching the horror of the suffering of the patients and the dedication of the nurses and doctors. These patients were poor and probably uninsured. I remember when the helicoptors finally arrived to evacuate the patients. I remember watching the doctors and nurses standing on the ramp outside the hospital with critically ill patients waiting for the helicoptors (military helicoptors) evacuate their patients. They were watching with frustration while the helicoptors evacuated the patients from Tulane University Hospital first. The reason the Tulane patients went first was because they were paying patients. Most were not critically ill. That one episode in time shows American way of thinking. People who can afford medical insurance get the best care and everyone else must stand in line and wait...and hope.

July 21, 2009 at 10:58 am |
  6. lbrignac

Someone needs to look into Louisiana's high risk health insurance plan. Since Bobby Jindal became Gov. my co-pays have become unaffordable. Before he was Gov. my co-pay for medications was approx. 700 every 3 months now they are 800 a month this change happened in January. If he is making health care worse in his own state, believe me you don't want him trying to persuade the country.

July 21, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  7. Victoria Mitchell

Enough is enough! The state of healthcare in America is shameful. The only people who oppose reform are greedy and can afford decent medical care and medication(s) when they have to. A healthier America will be a happier America-and we need that!

July 21, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  8. Chagit

Every working American is rich and can afford to pay for healthcare.

If Medicare recepients who live on fixed income can pay $96 per month for healthcare, so can every one else.

Healthcare payment should be deducted from salary each month.It should not have to be paid only by employers.

July 21, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  9. laura

YES on the reform! Let's have all politicians go without health care coverage for one year. Including their families. Everything medical, including existing conditions, starts to come out of their pockets. When they feel how 47 million Americans feel every day without coverage, they'll have a better understanding the financial toll it takes.

July 21, 2009 at 8:34 am |
  10. Jim

If the health care reform proposals are so beneficial to the public , why are Congress and federal employees exempt from them? Why isn't this question being asked by CNN and the rest of the media?

July 21, 2009 at 8:32 am |
  11. mike

the gov't yips about costs of medicaid but doesn't close down the system. my medicare and supplemental ins costs the same as before I reached 65.I see no benefit in gov't ins. Oh, I forgot, I pay my own way and 1/2 of US do not. why should I be my brothers keeper or pay for it..... think about this America" neither the pres or congress willo be a part of the "health reform bill". Instead of taxing the rich I recommend a tax on the liberals

July 21, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  12. terrynuma

Regarding health care
    It is interesting to hear Senator McCain talk about hoping the plan fails, I am sure that he has health insurance, and has no idea what it is like to not have any health care. It is also interesting that his long years in Washington he hasn't had any success in this area or solved the problem, yet he is critizing the President who has done more to try to solve the problem,right or wrong.This is why Senator McCain lost the election, he is out of touch with the needs of the American People. We don't want to hear critism and failing messages, if they are going to critisize Where is their solution? And they have had many years to solve a problem and have come forth with no solution.
    I am a cancer survivor who will be without affordable health care in November of this year. Is Senator McCain facing that dilemma, if so maybe he would be singing a different tune.

July 21, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  13. marilyn hector

let me see if we've got this right. greed trumps fear on wall street but fear trumps compassion for main st. can we leave our emotions at the door and stop lying about canadian health care. if anyone is delayed for health care in canada but can afford to pay in the u.s. it would have been cheaper to pay in canada and get the money back later...money speaks in canada also ....eh! stop lab test waste!!!!

marilyn in maryland

July 21, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  14. mike

unfortunately, most of your viewers are liberal as are your reporters and anchors so I see from liberal comments

July 21, 2009 at 8:17 am |
  15. Joanne

In your example you note that a couple with no children making 1.5 million dollars a year would end up having to just under $656,000 per year in taxes, included the $9,000 health surtax. This means that a couple with no children would have $844,000 net per year left to spend for two people! Why wouldn't a couple who have that kind of amazing opportunity, no doubt because they are Americans, be more than happy to contribute to the welfare of their fellow citizens. I am sure you can go much further down the wealth scale, easily to those who earn income of $350,000 per year and find people that would be grateful, rather than greedy, to have the opportunity to know that they are contributing to health care of fellow citizens.

July 21, 2009 at 8:15 am |
  16. Amy

Is this something we need? Yes. Do we need a bigger defecit? No. Will this tax cover all the added cost? No, but it's a start. I also think there should be additional taxes on products that lead to health issues, things like fast food, and redistribute or raise current taxes like tobacco taxes. Even traffic fees for speeding or drunk driving could go toward health care. If you are unhealthy but paid extra taxes on what made you unhealthy at least you're paying a higher premium than those who try to remain healthy. And by the way, I do eat at fast food but either I pay higher taxes on it, or I may start eating healthier!

July 21, 2009 at 8:14 am |
  17. David

Americans care more about their countrymen and women more than money.This bill will pass!!

July 21, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  18. Lynn Baggett

I am so sick of hearing about how blacks are discriminated against in this country. I hate to tell you but the native americans discriminate against all races. I live near the Cherokee Indian Reservation in North Carolina ( I can see the it from where I am typing this). They discriminate against non indians every day. Their movie theatre has one price for indians and one for non indians. Whenever the tribe puts on fair, show anything like that one price for indians and one for non. They also are against other indian tribes from becoming federally regcognized. They get federal tax money by the bucket. Why should they be allowed to discrimate? If you get tax payer money you are not allowed to discriminate on race. If I tried to discriminate against them my business would be shut down. It not fair at all. They make their own rules and laws and can and will discriminate as they wish. CNN needs to forget Black in America and investigate why the tribe is allowed to continue such racist practices. You should investigate why this is allowed especially taking tax payers money. You want a race issue find out why they charge indians a cheeper price than non! After all tax payer dollars are funding this discrimination.

July 21, 2009 at 7:01 am |
  19. ELLIOT RIEBMAN

By dodging many of these most violant storms John,we are blessed to have the return of "EL NINO" but you also have to look at the negative side too.Doesn't say much for global warming,and how global warming affects all of us.There is no easy way out,someone has to take the brunt ,and just hope for the best that it isn't all of us,that
    were spared.Praise GOD for "EL-NINO to stop these most powerful storms.All of my best,
    THE "ORIGINAL" "BIG "E"