American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
August 4th, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 8/4/2009

Editor's Note: Most of Monday’s American Morning audience was unconcerned about increased middle class taxes to pay for universal health care.

• Michael: I spend between $7,000 and $8,000 per year for family health insurance. I would rather give that money to the Federal Government via higher taxes than a private company whose only interest is making money for their stock holders. My guess is that my tax increase will be a lot less than what I pay for my private insurance...... it's a no brainer!!
  • Linda R.: Let's stop scaring the public with the "tax bogeyman". If you took a truly honest poll, most Americans would not mind paying a few cents more in taxes if it meant access to health care, and a better life in general. Also, let's not forget, that it was the Republican party, not president Obama, that got us into this mess in the first place. Unfortunately, we have a "corporate mentality" which translates into the power of terrifying the public into voting against their own interests in order to serve the powerful. The MSM is guilty of aiding these crooks by advancing their agenda. If we had a single-payer health care plan, all that lovely money doled out to greedy politicians by the private health care providers would dry up. At the minimum, a public option would help enormously, but the rich and powerful could care less about ordinary Americans. If McCain had managed to eke out a victory last November, (heaven forbid), we would already have bread lines, runs on the banks, and people selling apples in the street. Oh yes, and Iran would already be a pile of rubble (think "shock and awe II"). Give our new president a chance to turn this mess around. He's not "Merlin the Magician". We are in a much better place than we were under Bush/Cheney, and you know it.

How do you feel about paying higher taxes for universal health care? Would you, as the first viewer noted, prefer to pay the government over a for-profit institution?

The “Cash for Clunkers” program was found to be less than desirable, as most believed the program lacked assistance for those with a low income or poor credit. Others questioned the fate of the “clunkers” traded in; were they being resold, recycled, sent to other countries?

• Unbelievable!! You praise the 'cash for clunkers'. One more spin for CNN!! The only way to take advantage of this program is to have above average income and credit. Who else can afford it?! Lexus, bmw, etc. are being bought!! One more time the rich stay rich!! Obama is just continuing Bush's destruction of the middle class and really our whole country.
  • Bob M.: The two concerns that I have with the cash for clunkers program are, what are they doing with the clunkers(being junked or put back on the road as a used sale) and why is the program being stopped when the government doesn't really know how many cars have been sold with the program yet? Shouldn't they error on our side and not their side this time?
  • John: I have to say I’m not impressed with the cash for clunkers -the buy out is only good if you have cash to spare and the people that have work long hard hours -then have gotten laid off or lost their jobs have been left out in the dark and tossed aside. Give every jobless person a new car to job hunt in . My cars are each ten years old and I am jobless.

How do you feel about the Cash for Clunkers program? Have you or someone you know taken advantage of this? Tell us your thoughts.

Filed under: We Listen
  1. linda pike

Until- WE THE PEOPLE – demand reform in Washington and all levels of gov- we don't stand a chance in this country... I thought thats why we voted this Prez into office......shame on us fooled again, I still believe he had the right ideas..but soon realized that you cant change the way Washington does business.......what i would like to know is what did...Blago...with his -pay-to-play impeachment did differently than everyone else in Congress or the Senate....thats all they do !!!!! We need to impeach each and every elected official on every level and demand that Washington quits playing the political game with our lives.......... yea, right, now lets see what this 1000 page bill turns into (probably 5000pages) once they comprimise as they call it, i'ts actually vote-to-play in this case.Remember we are no longer a face witha name, we are consumers and constituents as they like to call us.must make it easier to sell our souls to the devil(our elected officials) and they sleep with a clear conscience ????

August 18, 2009 at 6:27 am |
  2. A

But of course the government should run health care, they've done an excellent job with Social Security, Medicare, and public education.

August 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  3. Tony

I already have government run medical care...It is called the Veterans Administration. I am so very thankful for it. Any uninsured person would be happy to get the care, no matter who is running it. I get my tests that I need, medicines, and all special provider needs I may have. I just don't think most folks really understand how regular people have to make do, and get along as best they can.... Don't try to tell me how it would be if everyone had health care, it would be wonderful... My government healthcare works just fine...

August 10, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  4. Tom Mount

I believe that the mob outrage at town hall meetings is a phenomenon right out of the Republican Playbook. The idea that some people come to meetings with the purpose of disrupting the meeting and preventing anyone else from talking, asking questions or get information from their representative is not acceptable. These people should be subject to arrest and held accountable for violating the rights of others.

The RNC may claim that they are innocent, but I don't believe them. These events appear to orchestrated by professional lobbyists and then later encouraged by right wing media and some elected Republican officials. Some of the recent events have bused disruptors to the town hall meetings with their own video camera personnel. Later these manufactured protest/disruptions are offered on the web video clip proof of grass roots objections to health care reform.
    Americans are not going to fall for this flim-flam.

August 7, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  5. Jack

The cars that are traded in under the cash for clunkers program have to be scrapped. This removes them from the road (and market).
    Used car dealers (like me) get their inventory from cars that are traded in at the new car dealerships, and this new program has produced a shortage in used cars. When supply is short, wholesale prices goes up, and therefore the price of used cars for the public, which are commonly bought by people with lower income and less solid credit., also will rise.
    The cash-for-clunkers program is supporting the big auto makers, and the buyers who can afford big new cars, but the little people who have to buy inexpensive used cars are taking a hit, and they can least afford it in these bad economic times.

August 6, 2009 at 9:21 am |
  6. Dave Reeder

We need a Health Care Plan for all americans..if we keep it the way it is right now...The Doctors...Hospitals and Insurance Companies will just continue to raise the prices and give less service. Pretty soon none of us in the middle class will be able to have any health care at all.
    Right now the deductables for Health Care insurance where we work is so high that you would have to have a catastrophy to collect on your insurance...and even at that, would probably take 5 to 10 days in the hospital..before your Insurance would kick in..but yet you are paying at least 400 to 600 dollars a month for health insurance out of your own pay check, even after your company kicks in a couple a hundred. At this rate and an annual 10% increase of premiums..none of us will collect or get ahead. You might as well not have health care insurance and just take your chances and if anything happens, just go to the Emergency Room for Health Care like people are doing now.
    I was just in an Emergency Room a couple of weeks ago..and it was packed with patients..and I'll bet none of them had any Health Care Insurance and that is why they were there....not because they had an Emergency but because they didn't have any Health Care Insurance.
    This is appalling..to say the least in this country.
    I can assure you all of our Representatives and Senators in Washington..are getting 100% Health Care for themselves and their families and don't have to worry about Health Care costs at all for the rest of their lives...no wonder they want to become Politicians.

August 6, 2009 at 7:26 am |
  7. Bernice

I do not mind pying more in taxes for a great health program!! Give the American People the govts. healthcare, and give them this garbage that they are trying to shove down OUR throats!!

August 6, 2009 at 6:57 am |
  8. Mark

It's all a joke! Not the joker, thats even going overboard for repubs.

August 5, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  9. Bill

I am a great fan of CNN and the morning show; but I was truly disappointed by the decision to air a segment on the "Joker" poster. I believe in free speech to my core; but there is no need to use your position to promote something that has no news value and is just simply disrespectful both to the institution of the Presidency and to a decent family man who is trying to do his best. I am a Republican and I do not agree with everything he is doing; but I deeply respect his commitment to his job, his family and and to the major issues confronting this country. There is enough detraction of him personally without you using the airwaves to bring stories like this or your emphasis of the birthers. I was especially upset by your use of the term "beer summit" rather than talkiing about it as a moment to bring two protagonists together for a special opportunity. You trivialized it rather than using it to promote the real issues there. Yes Dr. Gates was wrong; but Crowley did act stupidly. He is the trained professional and he was not in danger; he could have walked away and removed the heat from the situation. He could have demonstrated professionalism and understanding how ethnic and religious minorities feel about police treatment in this country. That is a serious subject and not one to trivialize. Stick to what you all do so very well – be solid journalists and resist the urge to stoop to the level of Fox News.

August 5, 2009 at 3:55 pm |
  10. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Good morning CNN. Listening to John earlier mention the accident and the female driver who was impaired with booze and pot. A person can smoke and drink and grow in impairment but if a person drinks and gets loaded and then smokes pot it is like the person drank twice as much and causes twice the level of impairment. Smoke before you drink and it is alright but if one drinks and then smokes it has adverse affects. Why doctors have not given out this warning beyond me thus far.

August 5, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  11. Doe Hall

I truly think that CNN should fire Lou Dobbs. He does a terrible job representing your fair and balanced approach. Lately, he has gone way over the line. I believe that he is a Republican in sheeps clothing. I just want a fair and non-biased news cast. CNN watchers deserve better.

August 5, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  12. Mark

Sickening, how in the dark you all are. There are so many people who need help, because of the stupidness, that has been left in place too long.
    I have no health-coverage, because of a pre-existing condition, that I was born with, now bankrupt, about to be homeless, so call it "Socialism", or whatever label, you want to put on it, but for the MAJORITY of this country we'll take it!
    Pittying, or feeling sorry for private insurance cos., makes me sick to my stomach, BOO-hoo! maybe they will only profit 1 billion this year, instead of 2. I cant believe the ignorance in this country!

August 5, 2009 at 7:26 am |
  13. mark godsey

anyone who pays 7 to 8 grand per year for health insurance needs to do some looking for a new insurance company i think cause i've looked and found alot cheaper out ther with good coverage as well and if the government gets your money you may find your self or a family member dead before they let you have some thing done when it takes 4 years and two lawyers to get your disability i worry about what else our government will pull on us now since there giving away billions to banks,auto makers,and people who will buy a new car right now they maynot be able to cover the cost of your doctors anymore i don't trust our government at all after all i've been through thanks to them and i'm disabiled and my wife works for walmart so i have medicare and my insurance from the company i worked for and thanks to nafta we have more problems with health insurance now and no jobs and any new jobs are years away before we see any out there wake up america and take back your government and lets get our jobs and health care back in this country for once and stop nafta and some thing these companies can hold over workers like general electric is doing now either take what we give you or we'll move your job to mexico like the 3700 jobs in bloomington ,in they moved and they was gonna close the plant but with all the give aways our government is having there gonna keep about 400 jobs there if the workers take a big pay cut and benefits cut wake up people

August 5, 2009 at 7:15 am |
  14. joyce stengel

Health reform must be!!!!!!! Too many illegals are getting health care for free and we, with health insurance, are paying for it. Hard working Americans who don't have health insurance or who have high deductibles are dying, now is that fair????? What the government should do, is decide on three health plans from all parties and all interested parties. Congress should choose three to put before the puplic on a vote in November, and let us choose which is best for the country!!! Joyce Stengel

August 5, 2009 at 7:01 am |
  15. Shadow Warrior

GOP is sendin agent provocatuers into these town hall meeting, just like the swift boat tactics they unabashedly used on Kerry.

Republicans have no honor and no shame. Their goal is all that is important, you haven't seen the criminal pattern, then you've been on the Bikini atoll for the last ten years.

What's amazing is that there was no public outcry when Bush sent 4000 of our young men and women to die in Iraq. No outcry when 135,00 military members were wounded for a bogus war. No outcry when when military families were separated three times in as many years under Cheney's 'stop loss' programs which resulted in thousands of broken homes, children without fathers or mothers.
    No outcry for our troops, but all this fanfare over a program designed to help Americans?

Methinks the motives are otherwise. Perhaps we can't let a Black man help make America what it should be. It would be embarrassing on the world front to see a second class citizen help the entire country in a way that hasn't been done since MEDICARE.

August 5, 2009 at 6:57 am |
  16. Bernice

By the way, I know a vet who has the WORST medical I can even imagin! Hard to even imagine that somehow you ended up with good vet coverage! You are the very first person I have ever heard defend that horrible program! Makes me wonder who you really are! People, please educate yourselves! QUICKLY.....before we lose our country, as we all knew it.

August 5, 2009 at 4:29 am |
  17. Bernice

Then Lyn, please, by ALL means, you go on the program and let the American People know how it failed you in the long run. As for Americans, WE DON"T WANT IT! You will not only have the worst medical plan in the world, but you will lose many of your constitutional rights in the process. I will just rather remain a faithful American, and stick with what I have got! Thier medical bill stinks for the American People so badly that the govt. officials do not want it themselves! The Republicans agreed to use the same program, but the demos declined that wonderful offer! Let the demos....along with you Lyn, use it and let us know how badly it worked for you in the end! My mom talks to her doctor. Not a govt official!!! She wants it to remain that way!! They want to now take more of the money from Medicare and transfere it over to the govt. program! There goes all the money (once again) that Americans paid for to help in thier elderly age!! What's new? I welcome NO abortions! If you wish to pay for thier sins, then get out YOUR checkbook! GO PROTESTORS!!! The Ameriican People need to ban to gain back thier country....and thier lost freedoms! Trust them running a medical program?? What a joke!!!

August 5, 2009 at 4:25 am |
  18. Mary T.

We need reform-If like me and many others who only have coverage
    on the JOB if you lose your job no coverage try as you may to find an
    affordable coverage there is none only COBRA therefore you are left
    with no other alternative either you don't see a doctor when you are
    sick or you go to the Emergency Room and who can pay the fees if
    you are out of work so you cannot get help It show will not be the
    people that are disrupting the meetings by protesting to keep
    any information STIFLE These are the same people who are against
    Abortion, Birth Control etc. yet they want the woman to keep the very
    child that they don't want to feed or see a doctor or give a Education
    GIVE ME A BREAK YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS PEOPLE
    make up your minds give AMERICA what it was founded for A PLACE
    FOR EVERYBODY TO BE ABLE TO LIVE THERE DREAM IN THE
    LAND OF THE FREE

August 4, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  19. Tony in Largo, Fl

The word is out. It’s the Health Insurance Lobbyist who are trying to derail the Health Care Reform. I wouldn’t put it past them to be organizing the opposition groups at the Town Hall Meetings. At least we do know who they are and what they are doing. They are spreading fear and lies about the Health Care Reform. I’m hopeful that Congress will act in favor of the constituency that voted for them. I’m also hopeful that people will read and see thru the tactics of the Health Insurance Companies. People need to support this reform; it’s for the good of the nation as a whole. Slavery, women’s right to vote, banking reform, desegregation, environmental regulation, occupational safety & health, all faced challenges and stiff opposition from the “conservatives du-jour”, but they were instituted and made our society better. Let’s not fall prey to the big lie and fear mongering. That would be a tragedy and a travesty in the land of the freedom of speech. A freedom whose ultimate goal is the truth; and the truth will set you free!!
    And as a matter of a suggestion for anyone willing t listen, a semi-public health option would be to issue grants to students in medical, technological, pharmacy and nursing schools and have them pay back with one year of service for every year of study that they receive aid. That would allow for a gradual structuring of the program to de-bug it and it would assure a limited size. Hospitals currently receiving Federal Funds would be required to provide space and services and would be also be paid for the same at monitored rates. VA Hospitals could also provide facilities and services with some additional funding.

"Some men see things as they are and ask why? I dream of things that never were and ask, why not?" Robert F Kennedy

August 4, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  20. Fred dean weaver Oklahoma city, Oklahoma

For now on im turning Lou dobbs off because he report lies about Obama's Birth and Obama health plan. he is no i ndependand but a Lying republican. Republicans should change their name from Grand Old party to greedy old party.

August 4, 2009 at 9:43 pm |
  21. Lyn M

Just a comment on the meetings that are disrupted by the protesters. Why isn't there a check by the Congress person for the voter's registration cards that would establish that the person is indeed in the Congress person's district and or State. Another check is to have the addresses checked against the district lines.

We need reform – many companies and most health care insurers will screen for the appropriateness of a proceedure or demand generic drugs. Who is really incharge of the health care – the health care provider or the insurer? I receive care from the Veteran's administration and can say that I receive the same care that I received from my private doctor and health insurer. In fact, better because I don't have every prescribed drug and proceedure scrutinized the insurer.

As far as providing assistance to seniors for end of life decisions, I think it is great. No senior wants to be a burdon to their families. As far as abortion, I remember the back ally abortion when women were brutalized and many times either died or rendered sterile. I would welcome limited abortion in the bill.
    Thanks for listening.