American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
August 13th, 2009
  1. Chris

After seeing this, I agree the man didn't need to take matters in his own hands but on the other side, does she think she is better than anyone else because she is well known in her area? If she is so well known, then she should set a better example than that. Also, what does Rosa Parks have to do with health care in America? Was it maybe because she wasn't getting proper treatment for her tired feet so she chose to sit in the front of the bus in retaliation? I don't think so. Having a Rosa Parks poster clearly states to me that she was instigating a racially motivated CNN issue. There are fat too many blacks in America who cry racism. What Congress needs to do is sign into law that makes it punishable by law to accuse someone od racism when it clearly is not. To me, it should be categorized as a hate crime because it shows you are trying to ruin someones reputation by portraying them as racist. If you have a case, then by all means say it. How many times in a day do you think a black cop arrests a white suspect? Do you hear about it on the news? No. Why? Because we aren't out trying to create racial tensions like the woman in this video or the professor that got to enjoy a beer at the White House. As far as standing up for her rights as a black person, what rights don't they have? Their rights are the same as ours. We are an equal nation so what do you want from us "white" people?

August 16, 2009 at 7:13 am |
  2. Carol

I listened to her interview. Other people had signs. No one attacked them, maybe because they were white folks? The man who grabbed the sign sounds like a radical trouble maker. Personally, I have health insurance provided by my employer. If he did not pay for it I wouldn't have any. We do need a national health care system, I have close family members who have none. You think Jesus would act the way some folks are? If I read the bible right I think he said, "go out and help the poor".

August 15, 2009 at 2:31 pm |
  3. J Bunnap

This could have been a racially motived act or it could have been as simple as he was peeved because he didn't get to bring his poster in, but when security brought it to light that she had a poster the man was certainly out of line jumping up and snatching it.
    As for her actions, I would have responded the same way. Nobody needs to be snatching anything of anybody elses' . However during the interview she went on to long about the racism issue. If she wanted to make a point she had done that after the first maybe second question. Beyond that she was ranting and lost my sympathy for her plight.
    Concerning the health care bill, it is too big, too bulky, and I am leary of anything the president comes out and says that "it is needed for the economic recovery to work". They should never have hinged that kind of importance on something as contreversial as passing a health care reform bill. Reminds me of Bernake threatening the use of martial law if the bailout were not approved. That kind of tactic is what you are seeing a reaction to at the town hall meetings. People are just tired of being threatened with one calamity after another.
    If it is not terrorism, it is the bailout, if not the bailout then the stimulus, if not the stimulus, it is domestic terrorists behind every corner, if not that then a flu pandemic, and everybody but the government is a bad guy.

August 15, 2009 at 1:09 pm |
  4. Vlin

I laugh at how people say Obama has ruined our country – he has been in office for what, 8 months now. What exactly has he done to ruin our country? Let's see, he has turned around a severe recession, he has passed seriously needed environmental legislation, he has begun healing damaged foreign relations, and oh yes, he has attempted to put together a health care bill that will provide lower insurance rates for all people as well as cover those without insurance today. What a terrible man he is!!! What people who are going nuts about this health care bill don't understand is that we pay higher insurance rates and hospital bills because the uninsured go to the ER and the cost for ALL of the unpaid bills gets tacked onto the rates that the paying patients pay. I know this because I used to work in healthcare administration!!! Do you really think nurses, physicians, and health care employees work for free???? BTW – many of the ER visits are gunshot wounds from the insane number of semiautomatic weapons on the streets!!!!

August 14, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  5. Mischelle

Berneice above, I'm ashamed of your juxtaposed logic. You have an acorn for a brain, and I fear that's insulting to oak trees, when you castigate this poor woman for breaking the "rules."
    There were others in the room who had signs and were not accosted.
    Did they not break the rules?
    Why did so many police attack this woman who was reacting to having her property snatched from her . . . what if it had been her purse, while only one man was on the attacker?
    I hope she pursues a civil assault case on the man as well. We cannot live in a democracy where now only wingnuts are allowed to assemble and exercise their free speech.
    I will have my poster with me at our upcoming town hall meeting in my town and fully expect my rights to be respected.

August 14, 2009 at 7:08 pm |
  6. Bishop

The bottom line is this, everyone has the right to voice their own opinions, and no one has the right to infringe on their freedom to do so. This "True American" guy was out of line; I do take issue with the fact, very clear in the video, that these officers immediately went to this Black woman, and only one went to the white man. Hello somebody! Typically, when I man and woman are fighting, aid always comes in the form of help for the woman because men are naturally stronger. I was appalled by this blatant act of wrong doing. Also, when black folk get together for anything and act defiant, the media uses buzz words like mobb, tyrants, gangsters, thuggs, etc. When black folk are displaced, as in the case of Katrina, they become refugees in their own country (contrary to the actual definition of the word); however, white folk in the same situation are "victims" of Katrina. (Read the Essay: "The English Language, My Enemy" by Ossie Davis)

This pseudo notion of "White privilege" affords people with white skin to act like they want without the negative characterization being placed on white folk as a whole. This is not the case with Black folk.(ex. young black man walking down the street with his pants sagging must be a thug; it's proven that most white women cling tighter to their purse, and white men are guarded when approached. Whereas, Black folk are not scared of white middle class clean cut men even though that's the description of most serial killers; but maybe they should be based on this town hall meetings.)

There is no civility in the eyes of bigots because they are ignorant and blinded by their hate for people based on skin color. Such a sad existence.

August 14, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  7. Nate G.

I enjoy the race relations issue in the United States, especially the double standard that is so prevalent. A white person yelling and screaming is an extremist trying to bring down the government through fear, a minority screaming at a town hall meeting is called a hero and claims racism when she is punished for not following the rules. Bravo CNN I can now see why “Black in America 2” was so popular.
    As for the health care bill; when people who have never participated in politics before stand up and say ‘no’ maybe it’s time for our politicians to act on behalf of the people. Although if this bill passes and it fails miserably, which it will (just like the stimulus and the Chrysler bail out), republicans will take back the house and senate. Who will, hopefully, but doubtfully, undo the damage inflicted by ‘Boss Obama’ and his cronies.

August 14, 2009 at 10:47 am |
  8. Bob K

Those people protesting or those groups who are intent on killing yet another health care proposal will hurt the average American once again. The facts are that the obscene rise in health care costs have hurt big industry, crippled small business, and impacted each an every family in America who pays for health care insurance. Health care insurance companies already have reaped in billions if not trillions of dollars in excessive costs and continue to deny people of certain coverages because it would cost the company too much money. This is a never ending ploy by the health care industry to increase their profits at the expense of average Americans and American businesses. Anyone who believes that this industry will self regulate their costs is well.....................lacking some gray matter.

The current health care proposal is designed to offer an alternative (better known as competition) such as to control these unjustified rising costs in health care. Competition works and like it or not the US Government is the ONLY mouth piece that we the average citizens have (except AARP for Senior Citizens) to fight obscene pricing that currently exists in the health care industry. Competition works. Give you an example. During the Bush Sr and Clinton administrations gas prices started to climb. Both Bush and Clinton released oil from the federal reserve storage system to add competition. Guess what? Bush realized a 35% reduction in gas prices and Clinton realized an 18% reduction by using competition as a combatant against rising energy costs. Providing competition against the health care industry is no different and IF competition is not used you and I will continue to pay higher and higher costs for the same medical care we received 15 years ago.

So all of you out there that are throwing up smoke screens, shouting, wanting big government out of your pants, think twice as you are cutting your own throats. Will the initial bill work wonders? Probably not but it is a start. Had Hillary Clinton's original bill back in the mid nineties not been shot down (and yes it was flawed) we would have by now learned the good and bad points of how to control health costs and we NOW would have been enjoying reasonable health insurance premiums. But NO! Too many were playing politics and now we ALL have been and are paying the price............billions and billions of dollars. So you got a choice. Keep complaining or do something to stop the bleeding. It is your choice America.

Oh yes keep this fact in mind in that the CEO of one of the health care companies is making $430 million dollars a year. Think about how much we could reduce premiums by bringing this one guys salary down to about $400K which is all he deserves. Think about it.

August 14, 2009 at 9:31 am |
  9. jeremiah

In the year 1712 Mr. Willie Lynch (the man the term lynching is named after) gave a speech in Virginia along the James River where he said...

..."In my bag here, I have a fool proof method for controlling your blacks. I guarantee every one of you that if installed correctly it will control them for at least 300 years. My method is simple. Any member of your family can use it. I have outlined a number of differences among them and make the differences bigger. I use fear, distrust and envy for control..."

The speech goes on to outline in great detail very distinct and exact physical methods for controlling the psychological growth of a people for generations to come. I applaud the woman for standing up and defending the rights she has that so many before her died to ensure she could have.

August 14, 2009 at 8:28 am |
  10. Bernice

I am an American, who loves her country, and has the RIGHT to attend meetings in this country! They do not have to pay us a dime sweetie! We go because this is a garbage bill, the larger population now sees this, and WE THE PEOPLE BETTER SPEAK UP! This bill is over 1000 pages long, so I assure you, there is SOOOO much more in it than helping the "poor down and out" people! That statement is way beyond misleading!

Our Congress needs to listen to its PEOPLE for a change! (Instead of blowing all of Chinas money for us)....

Besides, what happened to the black man giving out flags, who got assulted by Union members (of the same color) , putting him in a hospital for a spell? Even called him the "F"...and the "N" words! Whites are attacked daily here too... Racism? It all needs to STOP, which most is set up anyway, I believe.

And yes.. EVERYONE, even her, needs to apply to the rules! You can't just go around thinking that it is ok to "do whatever you want" attirude either here! Yes....Wingnut of the week award applys here... She takes grand prize for the week. Feed her some acorns. Maybe she was with acorn... Yea..just maybe.

This has to do with a lage majority of people disagreeing with this administration in not only healthcare, climate control, gosh darn everything it's done! NOT COLOR! Someone is trying to start a racial issue..... u think? Take your minds off of the REAL SCARRY ISSUES. Give her title to being a wingnut, and quickly move on!

August 14, 2009 at 6:15 am |
  11. Jazz

It is so unfortunate that this woman was attacked at the town hall meeting by that gentleman, who apparently had no respect for her as a person. If she indeed was told to conceal/remove the sign, to which she complied, then the gentlman had no right to approach her, as though he were the secret police or something. This does not excuse the fact that she was allowed??? to disobey the rules by bringing in the sign, by the security officer, who checked her purse. The bottom line, however, that gentleman should have reported her to the security, instead of taking it upon himself to remove the sign.
    There are a lot of tempers flaring and I truly hope no one gets seriously injured or hurt by these "orchestrated" protests. It is said the insurance companies are paying $1,000,000 a day to block this reform movement. THIS HEALTH CARE MOVEMENT WHICH IS TO HELP THE POOR AND DOWN AND OUT PEOPLE. NOTHING MORE.

August 13, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  12. jim vicalvi

We have a new nominee for "wingnut of the week". Maybe even for a whole month.

August 13, 2009 at 1:26 pm |
  13. L.T. Carson

This is racism at its finest. Most of these town halls don't even have blacks participating and now I see why. These people could care less about healthcare, even though most of them need it. Anything President Obama is for because they will be against.. This young lady's rights were clearly violated. I think these angry white people are some of the spirits, not from the Civil Rights Movement but from the Civil War who don't realize that the war is over and the country has moved on. They believe that violence is the only way to get their way. I'm so glad we have an African American president so that people can see what we have gone through all our lives. Sen. McCaskil was wrong to make it look like this law abiding citizen was at fault. She is not my senator and I am glad because she is catering, not to her base, but to the republicans. She has definitely lost her way. She thinks she can outsmart people by playing this "I can't believe you all are acting this way!" Well if she can't believe it then she's been hoodwinked!

I want to say to the young lady who was definitely wronged that all white people are not like that. I admire her courage in even going to the meeting to support the people in her community. We need more people like her. I could see that the police officers were all over her just like the cameras were to one more time depict a negative image of African Americans. Lately every time the cameras have done that it's been back in their faces. I'm glad she's sticking up for herself and her community. It gives us hope and courage that even in the darkest of times there is a ray of hope.
    L.T.

August 13, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  14. joeland7

Racism is alive and well in America. Who is really behind the Health Care Reform protest?

August 13, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  15. Cheryl

I listened to part of her interview this morning and have to say that she is right on a couple of accounts. As a white, 51-year-old woman, living in a very conservative town in the Midwest, I am too met with hostility unprecedented in my 51 years when I show any signs of being Pro-Obama. I try to express the point that we can agree to disagree and still be friends, but it just doesn't work. I am on Facebook and have actually tended to post only noncontroversial comments with my lean toward the left so that people will realize just because I am white, middle-aged, and live in the Midwest, I have differing views so they will quit sending me the racist and extremist conservative hate-filled messages and emails. What people post on their own walls is their business, but I agree too that the extremists are the only ones saying ANYTHING and those of us wishing to make our statements quietly are being drowned out. The town hall meetings are a joke and only serving to give voice to the extremists in this country because the rest of the open-minded calmer voices on both sides don't see the point in screaming more loudly. I do, however, believe there are those of the extreme right that will disagree with anything the dems put forth, no matter what race the president is, but I also believe there is now that element, who may otherwise have just taken a backseat and wait out the next 4 years in a huff, that are inspired to become radical because of their racism.

August 13, 2009 at 11:11 am |