American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
August 19th, 2009
  1. Walt

As a vet and a civil service worker for 28 years working WMD and antiterrorism and a concealed weapon permit holder I want to add one thing to this thread. There are many areas that I must remove my weapon and store it in the car/truck which scares the heck out of me. Cars are constantly being broken into and or stolen. When I have the weapon on me, it is concealed, safetied, and secure. In a car in any parking lot it is not.

September 22, 2009 at 9:34 am |
  2. Matt

Sean,
    I am not sure where you get your information on guns and people but Mary is right, The second amendment allows law abiding US citizens to carry their weapon even in places that serve alcohol. If people like you would open their eyes and look at the world around them you could see the second amendment has helped this country more than people give it credit for. If every person carried a firearm with them at all times (like most do in texas) crime rates would drop significantly. Although your mind is probably made up you should really do your research before you attack an idividual like Mary who share their opinions, even my 4 year old knows when to shut his mouth.

September 19, 2009 at 8:37 am |
  3. JMZ

Sean* its fools like us that mde this country great. its fools like us that kept this country free. its fools like us that make it so spineless hippie liberals like you can goto starbucks and talk about how sophisticated you are, how you know whats best for everyone and how your self esteem was shattered because you stubbed yer toe when u were 5. and im willing to be that this bar full of rednecks is a hell of alot safer and more crimefree than your average hip hop bar full of gang bangers–oops im sorry"urban warriors"

August 20, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  4. Darius

Hazen and Timothy,
    You have both been trained how to use your guns properly yes. Were you ever trained to control your temper? What if someone else who is drunk at the establishment hits on your girlfriend or wife? What about all the other people that ARE drinking in the place? Perhaps when you get up to go to the bathroom someone who's drunk sees your gun while your using the urinal and grabs it and points it at your head and robs you right there in the bathroom, then runs off on a crime spree, with YOUR gun. There are plenty of reasons why places that serve alcohol and guns do not mix. If you are a responsible gun owner and concerned about protecting yourself and your family then don't park in areas that aren't well lit and are places that you know are typically 'bad areas' having a gun doesn't make you 100% safe, and chances are if you are being robbed or assaulted and you try to pull your gun your getting shot first. In a gunfight whoever draws first wins 99% of the time, and if you are being robbed/attacked you already have a gun/knife/whatever pointed at you, so why endanger yourself and your family more by trying to be a hero?

August 20, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  5. Timothy

Hazen Weber, I agree with you wholeheartedly as I am a law abiding firearms owner, we should be able to carry our firearms to protect our family, friends in any setting, I have been through the background checks, fingerprinting and firearms safety courses, so why can’t I bring my firearm with me wherever I go? It is not me or the other law abiding citizens who carry firearms you have to worry about, it’s the criminals on the street who can obtain a firearm at will.

August 20, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  6. michael armstrong sr.

I think the person who proposed this hair brained idea had to much to drink I dont go to bars so im not all that concernd about a gun totin drunk that cant hold his liquer getting peed off at the bar tender for refusing him more to drink or getting drunk mad because somebody says something he dont like what it boils down to is they might as well leagelize drunk driving.

August 20, 2009 at 5:17 am |
  7. Julia

Well done, Mr. Rayburn. Can't say how you might be promoting your restaurants, when none of them were mentioned on air...and as for marketing, I go to a restaurant for the food, not the guns. And knowing they aren't allowed makes it easier for me to tell drunk friends with guns to get on home!

Seriously, I hear the message from people saying they need a gun to walk to their car. Fair enough – you are ready and willing to use your gun if necessary. More than likely, if you are held up and try to pull that gun, you'll both get shot. I go out on my own a lot, and I will NEVER carry a gun to walk from Midtown Cafe to my car. I want the right to bear arms (in my house or in a militia – whenever THAT need comes back around) but I don't want a private business owner to be forced to tell everyone who walks in the door that s/he prefers that the establishment be gun-free.

I am still trying to figure out a REAL reason you need a gun in a restaurant or bar. Please somebody tell me. And then tell me again why the number of gun-related deaths in the UK is so much lower than ours???

August 20, 2009 at 1:22 am |
  8. Hazen Weber

Law like this typically state that it's illegal for anyone carrying a concealed weapon to drink. Right now in my state I can't carry my gun into a restaurant like Chili's and have a meal with my regular Diet Coke because they serve drinks. If the establishment isn't just a bar, but is mainly a restaurant that either has a bar, or serves drinks, then I feel I should still be able to carry concealed as long as I don't enter the bar portion of the restaurant and I don't drink any alcoholic beverage. I'm not the one to worry about, I don't have gang signs, marked hats, or tattoo's for gangs. I'm not loud, nor do I disturb the peace. When I carry I probably sit beside people like you at Burger King and McDonalds and you don't even now it. What I carry for is to protect myself and family from the folks who's attributes I listed above. People who don't carry think those that do are hoods. Those that legally carry typically aren't. Remember in my state I had to pass a range test, a written test, and take a 14 hour course, provide finger prints at the Sheriff's office and had the same background check used on me as if I was applying to become a police officer. I'm vetted and safe, it's the other crazies out there you need to worry about. And whether there is a law against it or not, they are carrying. I think this law is good. Remember FBI reports state police officers only land 15% of shorts fired and only stop 8% of the crimes in progress. If cops stopped crimes they wouldn't need a CSI team.

August 19, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  9. Jim Steele

It is my understanding that there is a seperate law which forbids carrying a firearm while under the influence of alcohol (whether inside a bar/restaurant or outside).

August 19, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  10. Joe

You can only bring a gun into the bar if you order a Sasparilla. No need for the police anymore we can just take 10 paces and shoot.

August 19, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  11. Darius

Furthermore,
    The owner of the gun might not always be the one that needs to restrain themselves. If we start allowing legal gun owners to carry guns in bars, a non-licensed person that's drunk out of their mind might see it in a shoulder holster or tucked into the back of their pants and grab it. A criminal who is just spending some time at the bar might see it and snag it and run off with it, then it is free to be used against other law abiding citizens, how would you feel if you were carrying a gun to the bar and someone stole it from you and used it to rob and kill a store clerk? A family? Your family? These are questions we need to seriously consider before passing legislation like this.

August 19, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  12. Darius

Mike,
    You can't use these one here one there hero stories of law abiding people saving people from the 'bad guys' with guns. Sure it happens, but way more often than not the bad guys get away with the crime (at the time at least). I am all for 2nd amendment rights and I like to go shooting myself, in places meant for shooting, such as a gun range or out hunting. Going to a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol is not the place to have a gun. You don't have to be rip roaring drunk for alcohol to inhibit your judgment. And furthermore, I don't know of any police force that would allow their officers to be drinking and carrying a firearm. I just spoke to my friend who is a Captain and he said the only instance in which an officer on duty or off would be allowed to consume an alcoholic beverage while carrying his firearm would be in the performance of duty (I.E. Surveillance at a bar or similar establishment) Even if police were allowed to drink and carry weapons they are police officers and they are thoroughly trained to use their firearm AND also trained to deal with belligerent suspects and taught to restrain themselves. The everyday gun owner is not.

August 19, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  13. jay m

Guns, Alcohol, and Idiots what a deadly combination

August 19, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  14. Ronnie Snow

It is not a personal right to carry a gun into a private establishment. It is the owner's right to allow it. However, the owner had better make sure he has sober security in his establishment to ensure that there are no unfortunate incidents.

August 19, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  15. timmy

funny the police give you a dui if you have 3 beers to prevent you from committing a crime. but yet it's okay to bring a weapon that could end somones life into a bar. Wow! the irony. wouldn't banning guns in bars be a preventive crime? I think so.. Remember the wild west days of cowboys with guns in bars?

August 19, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  16. Darius

Mary,
    Are you kidding me? Second amendment right is fine and dandy however in a private establishment people should not be carrying firearms especially in a place that serves alcohol and where people have to be hired to keep the peace/maintain order (bouncers). It's not like studies are being done to see if alcohol impairs peoples judgment, its a known fact. Even if your a law abiding citizen, if your going somewhere to knowingly and willingly impair your judgment you should NOT be carrying a firearm. And if you are trying to say "Oh I need to protect myself from criminals" come on, lets be serious, are you really going to carry a gun EVERYWHERE you go? 1. You can't. and 2. That is scary that people feel that they have to carry a gun with them everywhere. Having a gun does not solve your problem, if your out somewhere and you get robbed at gunpoint what are you going to do? They already have the gun pointed at you, just give them your money/credit cards/whatever the hell they want and let them leave, your life is far more valuable than any of that.

August 19, 2009 at 1:32 pm |
  17. Robert

Interesting in that people who disagree with this usually resort ro condemning the writer. I am neither a rednock and I certainly do not live in a trailer park.

August 19, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  18. Ben

Not the kind of shot I want in a bar.

August 19, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  19. Mike M

The restaurant owners have no ones interest in mind but their own. I’ve worked in areas of my city Richmond, VA that their restaurants had to close for evening business due to crime and it was much safer to go through the drive through sit in the restaurant. Just a few weeks ago (in Richmond) a robber shot a store clerk and was about to shoot him again when a patron in the store shot the robber. No charges were filed against this hero. Daytime service for breakfast and lunch were all that is offered in some of these areas. We are not talking about letting concealed Carry Holders get drunk and be carrying a gun that is already against the law, though I find it strange police officers are allowed to drink and have there guns in this state. In nicer restaurants the issue is not that it will be held up in the restaurant itself but that you might well be held up or worse getting back to your car which with limited city parking could be several dark block / alleys away. You don’t see the restaurant owners providing in most cases secure and monitored parking areas or stepping up to guarantee your safety coming and going to their establishments. This is the same tactic used by gun opponents since they have lost the battle in the concealed carry debate they’re trying to ban guns in employer parking lots, shopping malls and restaurants to nullify the intent of States that have passed concealed carry programs. See this for what it is.

August 19, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  20. Jeff

Sean .. the criminals will have their guns whether there is a law or not. Get OUT of your trailer and look around the real world.

August 19, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  21. Sean

Mary, you are a complete fool – just like those other rednecks who cling to guns and religion. Go back to your trailer park.........

August 19, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  22. Brad

How would you like to be a bouncer in that bar?

August 19, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  23. Mary, Beaver, PA

Second Amendment and the Constitution! So what is the problem if law-abiding citizens are taking their guns into places where alcohol is served?

August 19, 2009 at 11:57 am |