American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
August 20th, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 8/20/2009

Editor's Note: American Morning’s Thursday audience continued to express their opinions towards the Obama administration’s health care reform proposals. Viewers were split on whether a public option should be made available and viewers questioned how President Obama intends on paying for the reforms.

• Carol: I wish that you would stop saying that we can keep our own insurance if a public plan is passed. Many clips of the president have been shown in which he says that eventually everyone will be on the public plan–either by choice or being forced on it. Businesses won't be able to afford the high taxes put upon them by the gov, so people who work for small businesses will be forced on the public plan. Also, what is going to happen when private insurance companies downsize or go out of business???–millions of middle class Americans who work for insurance companies will start to get laid off and they'll be without jobs. This will definitely put this country into a depression.
  • Larry: Why is it, if this health care bill is so good (per the US Congress) why did they exempt themselves from it? If it is good enough for us, shouldn't it be good enough for them?
  • Bernard: Good morning. I am surprise about the negative the Canadian health care that your country suppose to know about. The republican and some other organizations know what about our system. John Robert should know better as a Canadian. He should take a week to do interview and explain what our system is all about. It is not bad at all. Is it perfect? No, but it is working.
  • William: I just viewed your piece on how Obama's healthcare plan is similar to the universal healthcare plan in Massachusetts. Your piece seemed to reflect how successful this plan has been. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I was surprised that there was no interviewing done with doctors in some of the major hospitals in Boston. I know I have read articles in a health newsletter put out by Public Citizen that were written by these doctors and pointed out the several problems this program has produced.
  • Noah: not being discuss as an option for the shortage in Primary care providers, these provider have been practicing for decades

What do you think? Continue the conversation below:

Filed under: We Listen
  1. Jonathan Abel

I have not read all of the comments posted, so, you may have already address my's, ever-the-lest, here it is : you and all the guest that is interviewed are high income person, don't understand the pain of those low, or, no income individuals and no health insurance for their families; why not interview these people and get their side of the story, then , maybe the nation will get the true expectation of the need.

Abel of Ociila

September 19, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  2. johnniec

Everybody complaining about obamacare,but not one has come up with an real alternative,besides disrupting townhalls.Come up with a plan thats better than what the president offering or shut up

August 24, 2009 at 7:51 am |
  3. anonymous

I live in Taiwan and am surprised at how little coverage CNN gives to matters in that region. Typhoon Marakot was the worst typhoon to strike Taiwan in 50 years. "Thousands of people are homeless and hundreds were killed. An entire village was totally buried under a 5 story high landslide. People in Taiwan are in desperate need of prayers and assistance. Where is the coverage on this. Most people who watch or read CNN probably have no idea this event has even occured or the kind of help that is needed because CNN Weather never covers weather news in this area in more than a fleeting fashion. Surely CNN could spare one or two reporters to covers this desperately needed area.

August 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Sebastian

I was watching the health care reform coverage on CNN this morning and saw something that angered me to no end. They were talking about the system in MA where they are MANDATED to buy health insurance. My question: how do you force someone to buy something they can't afford to begin with and isn't that constitutionally illegal violating peoples freedom of choice and what not?

August 22, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  5. George

If CNN knows the truth about the healthcare proposals, why would they have on people who are telling nothing but lies about the proposals? That's not fairness, that's an abdication of your responsibility, CNN.

August 21, 2009 at 7:19 pm |
  6. George

Message to Obama: Convince a fool against his will; he's of the same opinion still. It's not about healthcare. It's about parisanship and RACISM. They want their country back, Mr. President; BACK from you! I say let America go and be the dumbed down, bankrupted by healthcare country they want us to be. I can always move to Argentina where an emergency room visit with tests cost me less than 100.00. I shudder to think what that would have cost me here.

August 21, 2009 at 7:13 pm |
  7. Cheryl Bass

John Roberts, I enjoy you every morning on CNN. This morning, however, you made an off-hand comment during a piece on the clunker exchanges, that I took some offense to. You said something to the effect of: "As usual, government never gets it right." Forgive me if I misquoted you, but I believe I captured the essence of the comment.

My problem is that, though government in the U.S. is certainly imperfect, is loaded with bureaucracy (which was probably your target), and has its share of overly self-interested, goofy and/or corrupt politicians and bureaucrats who are anything but "statespeople," there is a LOT about government that goes right and well, every day, from garbage collection to environmental cleanup to municipal water quality to health care to libraries to parks and recreational opportunities. (Sorry for the long sentence.) A large part of the problem the citizens of our country seem to have with health care reform is the erroneous perception that government is nearly "always" wrong or inept or corrupt, and therefore incapable of running a "public option" or of inserting itself into the health care arena. This is sad and destructive and unfair.

I have over 25 years in local governments and have worked with many of the best professional and public servants across diverse fields. There are some who are into power and control (maybe they should have gone into the private sector), some who equate safety precautions with bureaucracy, and others who feel they are entitled or who are lazy, but these are a small minority. Give me an example of the private sector where there are no such bad actors!

I would hate to see this capitalistic country without the safeguards and regulations that come from government. And I would hate to see meaningful health care reform go down the tubes because people unthinkingly ascribe ineptitude to every governmental goal or action.

Thanks for listening.

August 21, 2009 at 11:54 am |
  8. patricia angelo

to kiran chetny-you were just interviewing car salesman for honda. If you were a good newsperson you would have asked how many cars he was selling were made overseas and why should our tax money put Japanese car workers back towork. This program should be only for American car dealers.

August 21, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  9. Rich

I understand the issues around returning soldiers and sailors. PTSD, alcohol, relationship troubles, etc. I think maybe you should also spend time on a story that is currently effecting many more people. The effects of being laid off, again I think that there is a lot of alcohol that comes into the picture, relationship problems, etc.

August 21, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  10. Rebecca Dalmeida, M.D.

John, It is very obvious that you support Obama as it seems you end your coverage of each piece making a negative comment against Republicans. This is not unbiased reporting–shame on you.

August 21, 2009 at 8:26 am |
  11. markp

Obama plans to pay for 2/3rds of this 1.3 trillion dollar entitlement with 500 billion re-allocated from medicare than “prevention” counselling. In his mind he believes that if he can convince people to stop eating m and m’s that will save people from getting there foot amputated from diabetes, seriously this is how he plans to save 400 billion dollars. To not listen to more of a reallity based solution would be ignorance at best..
    Now even though he has not affilliated with a church since the “REV.” Wright’s rooster pen, he is turning to GOD to spread this awfull plan.. Well MR. PRESIDENT, GOD himself couldn’t make your numbers add up to anything but a bankruptcy of our nation…

August 21, 2009 at 7:59 am |
  12. jersey

Keiran, where to you get off calling folks "birthers" who have a very valid question regarding a US President's birth certificate. YOU are a birther, as you have popped out a kid or more. CNN makes me sick laughing at this serious matter and calling them wingnuts.

August 21, 2009 at 6:51 am |
  13. Gladys

It is not the care that needs fixing, it is the OUTRAGEOUS price tag of the care and medications. Every year the price of procedures seem to go up. Is there going to be a ceiling? The American family should be able to get it's basic and preventive health care needs covered at reasonable insurance premium. Catastrophic health care cost also needs to be contained. But how? I have a very easy answer. Create Medical Centers where everyone can obtain their basic and preventive care (yes, including dental) sustained and paid by tax dollars. Anyone who wants or needs to buy a catastrophic health insurance let them buy it from private insurance companies at AFFORDABLE premiums and MOST IMPORTANT, REASONABLE DEDUCTIBLES. No pre existing condition restrictions and you can buy this insurance on your own or through your employer. Competition and service should drive the cost of this insurance.

August 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm |
  14. barbara rogers

I wish that Rev. Al Sharpton and the Truth Fighter, Warren Ballentin would make great show hosts. Please make time for them on your schedule.

Don Lemon is doing a great job.

Please reconsider letting the radio talk hosts return for commentary on your network.

Stop giving so much time to the right wing ppeople who oppose the President. If I wanted to hear them I would watch Fox

August 20, 2009 at 5:49 pm |
  15. William

Wake up and look outside! Outside of the US. Educate yourself...read newsweek today and you will read 3 different writers telling the truth about how meesed up your system is. I am Proud to be an American...an American living in Sweden. I have 4 small children, if we lived in the US I could only afford 1-2. No system is perfect but this one is light years above what you have. Please read facts and stop the false propoganda against the medicine for a very sick country.

August 20, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  16. barbara rogers

I wish that Rev. Al Sharpton or Warren Ballentine could have their own talk shows on your network.

Don Lemon is doing a great job. Lots of energy and knowledge. He is a fine upstanding young man. I am proud of him.

Stop giving so much time to the right wing people who oppose the President.

August 20, 2009 at 5:45 pm |
  17. Linda

When one of you biased reporters on CNN reads the ENTIRE Health Care package, then you can tell me what you think about it. Until that time, just keep your opinions to yourself and let us, the voting public, form our own opinions without your slanted perspectives.

I am a Democrat that will vote straight Republican on the upcoming elections for the representatives in Washington and that is a FACT. It makes me sick that when we have a Republican majority and President, they screw everything up and then when we vote in a Democratic majority and a Democratic President they screw everything up just as bad! And lets not forget when we have a split of power, they just do NOTHING at all but argue and draw a huge paycheck to do it. But it is almost soothing to have nothing at all be the best we can do with these people that get elected. Now that is Democracy at its finest!

I have also decided, I will be changing to an Independent very soon and forget I was ever a Democrat!

August 20, 2009 at 4:38 pm |