American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 15th, 2009

'Guiding Light' going dark after 72 years

That's it. No more tears, no more lies, no more drama. This week, "Guiding light" – the longest-running drama show in broadcast history – will be signing off after 72 years.

Our Alina Cho has the report fresh from a visit to the "Guiding Light" set.

Filed under: Entertainment
  1. Carolyn Seaman

It is still astonishing how much I miss this show! It has been with me as I raised my family (all grown now) and was something I was so glad to get home from work ( some days) in time to watch.
    I wish all my TV family the best and am glad to see familiar faces showing up on other programs.
    In my area, the Doctors has taken over GL time slot. How many times can we dwell on how we're feeling or what symptoms we might have, before we long for Reva and Josh to sweep us into a little escape/
    All the best and thanks for the memories.
    (Please come back!!)

November 24, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  2. Ann Tate

I used to love the Guiding Light but the last 5 or so years the show should have been called the Fading Light. The writing was terrible and so was the acting. I was too ashamed for the cast to even watch it. And, the writers made sure the show died a brutal death with their abhorent writing skills. And, to have Jeanne Cooper come on as anyone other than Kay Chancellor was absurd. The writers could have tastefully written her in as the one and only Kay visiting someone she knew but, again, the writers were too stupid and the show deserves to be off of the air forever. Good riddance, Guiding Light.

September 18, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  3. sCoUtt0813

I am 14 years old and i've watched Guiding Light nearly everyday for the past 3 years, and its become part of my daily routine:) Seeing it come to an end is devastating. I will miss each and every character, even if i didnt like them.:) I wish there was something we could do, but unfortunatley, I can't.:( These last few episodes will be the worst for me, like today seeing Allan die! I was near tears! I know its just a show but after watching it for so long, its, in a funny way, become a part of me:)

September 15, 2009 at 8:33 pm |
  4. Lee

I am a 30 year fan and just heartbroken. Shame on CBS for taking away our Springfield family.

September 15, 2009 at 2:23 pm |
  5. Karma7512

They really need to make a movie....Real bad, needs to happen~!

September 15, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  6. JEZEBEL58

I have been watching that show on and off for almost thirty years and is going to miss all,Reva and Josh,Billy and Vanessa, Alan and Alexandra and all the younger generations.I guess all good things must come to an end,but in this case it had to do with the heads trying to save a buck by going live after the writers strike a couple of years ago.I do hope most of the cast can find work in this hard economic times and I wish them well.

September 15, 2009 at 10:05 am |