American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 15th, 2009
  1. CJ

Kanye West is a complete narcissist, racist and seems to have a drinking problem. He has no filter for his rude behavior. He has done this sort of thing before because he has to be the center of attention and believes that his opinion is a matter of concern to everyone.

Actually, I think Taylor Swift and Beyonce handled themselves very well considering the circumstances. Taylor might have been scared to death, but she didn't show it. She was also very gracious after the show. In the future I hope that award shows have security by the stage so that this doesn't happen again. I think I will go out and buy some of Taylor's CDs becasue she is a fine young lady.

September 17, 2009 at 11:35 am |
  2. Amanda

I work at a grocery store in California. Its a ritzy area and a lot of people that walk into my store have quite a bit of money. They feel they can be as rude as they want, because they have been spoiled brats their entire lives. Its NEVER ok to be rude to anyone, because no one is better than anyone else. I don't care if you're the most popular, godlike being in the entire world, it still doesn't change the fact that you should always treat others the way you want to be treated. I do think that sincere apologies for the most part work, but when it comes down to it self control and respect are a big part of being an adult. So when a Congressman can't keep his mouth shut, and an ignorant Musician thinks his genre of music is better than others, its just because they are still thumb-sucking infants, who need to pull up their diapers. GRRRR!
    Sincerely
    – an angry middle class grocery clerk, with amazing manners.

September 17, 2009 at 1:33 am |
  3. AS

Susan, I will be joining you!

September 16, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  4. CC

The majority of the youth of today knows nothing of manners... They don't think they have to work, clean their rooms or anything else. And yes, the parents are partially to blame. Okay, mostly to blame.

September 16, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  5. Jennifer

Most of the people I encounter being rude on a daily basis haven't even heard of MTV. They are old fuddy-duddies who believe that the world is there to serve them and that there is no reason to say please or thank you to people being paid to bring them food and drinks.
    You only have to watch that Bridezilla show to see the extent of rudeness and bad behavior business owners wil tolerate in order to make a sale these days.

September 16, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  6. Charlotte

Would be nice if we could be shocked and offended by rudeness, and accept gracious behavior as the norm, but it so often seems the reverse: rudeness and boorish behavior are the norm and we are surprised and amazed on the rare occasion when someone behaves politely and with grace. It would be lovely if this kind of thing could be in the forefront of discussions on a regular basis. I am firmly convinced that many people don't even understand the difference because they were not raised with manners as part of the curriculum.

September 16, 2009 at 2:24 pm |
  7. gogirl

Yes, many people have lost their manners and basic sense of decorum. TV and other media often cater to the lowest common denominator in audiences tastes. As the saying goes, Garbage in, garbage out. I suggest not letting the garbage in. In other words, NOT watching the shows or listening to the music etc. that's offensive and NOT mimicking bad behavior just because it's become acceptable to some. We can all complain all we want, but each of us have to make a decision to resist what we claim is unacceptable and take responsibilitly for our own actions as well as those of our children.

September 16, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  8. Tonia

I think that people are overreacting a bit to all this hoopla. I do not think that any of this is a race issue and I am really tired of hearing that. Had it been a man and a woman it would have been a gender issue. I just think that people are being more honest these days because life is tough for everyone right now. Honesty, however, is not an excuse for lack of tact. I think once the country stops being so stressed out, some of this behavior will subside.

September 16, 2009 at 1:56 pm |
  9. Gil

..and Joy Sav....I feel the same way! At work, nobody says hello, goodbye, most don't even respond when I say hi with a smile. Most of the time I get a blank look. I feel like i'm in a world of uncaring ZOMBIES. I feel like humans have morphed into something I don't recognize anymore. People laugh at the most disturbing and offensive things these days. Society is nuts! There are some good people still, many right here in this comment page, but the rest....oh my!

September 16, 2009 at 1:53 pm |
  10. Gil

It is true, people have gone bananas. It was prophesized. It's in the Bible. Those of you who don't believe in it, it is a very useful tool for foreseeing what is going on. Global warming, pollution, wars, disease, "rudeness" (or "loss of love for the greater people" as the Bible puts it). It really should come as no surprise. I'm just bummed I had to be alive in these "end" days.

September 16, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  11. Susan Meriden, CT

I couldn't agree with everyone more that, this Country has gone insane with rudeness and bad behavior etc. I've lived here 26yrs; raised in Canada and I'm going back as soon as my daughter is done School. That's all i'm going to say.

September 16, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  12. Cali

Yes People Have lost their manners. Children are being raised with sense of entitlement. Society rewards lewd behavior. Look at all the reality shows that people act out and fight. Its disturbing how young kids look up to "celebrities" like Paris Hilton or the Kardashian girls who are famous for having sex on tape. Kids on social sites are presented with a false sense of hope for fame and are mimicking disorderly behavior . Parents need to step up monitor what their kids are doing and discipline them.

September 16, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  13. EMW

The main reason I'd like to see Joe Wilson apologize to Congress and/or face some sort of penalty is to DISCOURAGE other people from mimicking him. I doubt that Kanye West would have done what he did if not for the suggestion, provided by Wilson's example, that "you can butt in, steal someone else's thunder, and get away with it."

September 16, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  14. JoySav

Yes, and not only among its' youths. I am a mother of 3, ages, 20, 15 & 10. My husband and I constantly keep manners at the forefront of their upbringing, yes sir, yes ma'am and so on. However, when I go to work and enter a my office and say Good morning to my co-workers there is no response. If they enter the office after me or leave before me not one Good morning or Good night. No, thank yous or your welcomes. These are adults who do not yet have children and if they are this way I can see them raising children in the same manner. It starts at a young age with upbringing and respect. Rudeness should never be acceptable or excused as these are the way things are now. My children don't consider my way old fashion, they consider manners as a way of getting ahead.

September 16, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  15. Amy

If anyone from outside the US needs proof of the "Ugly American" phrase, all they would need to to is look at our news from the past weeks. Joe Wilson, Kanye West, Serena Williams- all proof that people just have no regard for others anymore- not just people in power who are pampered and catered to by entourages, but society has become self-centered and people think they can do and say and get whatever they want, whenever they want. It's all about Me, Me, Me. Celebrities, athletes and politicians do enforce this behavior, but it is up to us to teach our kids to know better.

September 16, 2009 at 10:42 am |
  16. Amy

Yes, absolutely. People in general have a sense of entitlement that is unbelievable; like they have a right to things just because they are breathing. I'm only 32, but can remember when people didn't wear jeans to nice restaurants, let kids call adults by their first names, swear at and tell off cashiers at stores, pick fights with strangers out in public and threaten others with harm for small offenses, etc. Parents raise kids with this sense of entitlement and lack of respect for rules and authority that people think it's ok to shout at the President of the United States of America because "Hey this is America and you're entitled to have your say." People seem to have lost all regard and respect for rules and decorum. There is no such thing as polite society anymore.

September 16, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  17. Sarah L

When the headlines and media are focused on rude behavior of celebrities and the images/stories are played over and over and over... A fine that may be considered small to someone making millions is not going to teach them a lesson (or the audience viewing). It turns into cheap publicity. Millions of kids and adults are unfortunately forced to hear and read all about these types of antics.
    I was born in the late 70's and I have seen a sad demise in the courtesy patterns of people younger than me. What ever happened to waving hello to your neighbors, opening the door for an elder, or even just using a turn signal?!
    Parents my age are often the culprit and do not discipline their children properly for bad behavior. I am not saying to hit and abuse, but old-fashioned lessons myself and my parents were brought up with are still effective – remember standing in the corner when you were bad? That was the longest five minutes of my life as a child.

September 16, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  18. James E Harrison Jr

I am a retired U S Marine and my home is in South Carolina
    and yes race is playing a big part with Joe Wilson. That is just
    how things is with a lot of people. Joe Wilson is part of the good
    old boys here in the south and there are a lot of people that are
    two faced and he is showing both of them to the country, but the
    same thing go on in Washington. These people don't care about
    any thing but them self and their friends. Thy play on the same team
    as we can see on cnn, and all the news channels,that team is not
    trying to help President Obama because it is not their plans and
    thy can't see how this black can be the leader of the free world, but
    my 84 year old mother say this is God work. She say on January 20
    is Dr Martin Luther King birth day and Mr Obama will become our
    first black President on January 20 and my mothers birth day is on January,
    this is God plan because if it was just people it would never be.
    Every body want to go to Haven but no one want to die. I think God
    for letting me see this day and i think God for president for President
    Obama.

September 16, 2009 at 8:34 am |
  19. Reign

America does reward bad behavior! And yes, we do live in a society where bad behavior is becoming the norm, where ignorance is prevailing. We're seeing it in schools, in the media, in congress, at town hall meetings, with celebrities, on reality TV, etc. Depending on who you are, if you exhibit bad behavior, you can go on talk shows or write a book. I do feel that there are a lot of us that don't appreciate or condone bad behavior but we're increasingly becoming outnumbered as far as our voices being heard. What congressman Wilson did was wrong and needs to be dealt with or a precedent is set for future bad behavior. What Kanye did was wrong and he needs to meet face to face with Taylor and apologize and provide some act of kindness with it. Sometimes we simply react and our outbursts only require an apology, but bad behavior going unchecked is not good and it doesn't send the right message to our youth. And the racism in this country evokes and promotes bad behavior! Those of us that are sane and intelligent need to speak up LOUDLY and squash all of this. People have mental and unresolved issues that make them act out their deep rooted pains and ignorance.

September 16, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  20. Derby Waters

Manners? We've eroded our civility from a time when death was preferable to dishonoring one's family and name(witness soldiers pinning farewells to their uniforms before carrying out their
    "duty"0 to now when we parade "in your face" after an athletic play, comedians are paid for dissing our leaders, personal outbursts of ugliness are everyday stuff, and even CNN reporters can suggest that the House was wrong to call the hand of one of its members who obviously never learned to control his emotions and brought shame to the House and the American people.

September 16, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  21. Eric Rollins

It's MTV for the love of...
    MTV and all it's associates never show, or had manners to begin with. It's a Rapper, who's music unintentionally promote a lack of manners, on a channel that usually shows teenagers acting like miscreants. People think Video Games are destroy our Youth, or Cartoons. Ha. Watch MTV for an hour, something parents often let their kids do. That is were we are loosing each generation.

September 16, 2009 at 7:35 am |
  22. Feebe

From the video: "So many people don't condone this type of behavior."

I'm not so sure about that. Joe Wilson has received more than 1 million dollars (from supporters) for his rude behavior. Perhaps if I run up to my boss and scream "You Lie!!!" I may get a promotion? It also appears that many people also seem to feel that Serena Williams DIDN'T deserve that fine for acting like a complete lunatic. In summary, it appears as though people are rewarded for rudeness.

September 16, 2009 at 7:01 am |
  23. dd

Spitzer should be in jail for doing something illegal. Many people are in jail for doing a lot less such as "conspiracy to do" bla bla bla. So yes its ok to ask him why he broke the law and fed into a problem he was supposed to be fighting.

September 16, 2009 at 6:41 am |
  24. jade

I am not just talking about the celeberties either- It is the every day people that are the brunt of all of this. It is your neighbors, school teachers, police officers, buisness men & women, grocery clerks, everyone has gone banana's with rudeness.

September 16, 2009 at 1:54 am |
  25. jade

Yes, America has lost its manners. America lost its manners a while ago. In today's society people are rude, arrogant, and self-centered. It is a "me me me" world and people need to learn to raise their kids better as well as get back to basics themselves. I personally have no hope for this generation or generations to come. We have lost something very important.

September 16, 2009 at 1:52 am |
  26. Rod Davis

Mr. Roberts lost his manners this morning when he invited Mr. Spitzer onto his show to give expert commentary on Wall Street and then discredited his guest by asking "Why did you do it"?

There was no logical reason to go to the past. What was he thinking?

September 15, 2009 at 2:41 pm |