American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 18th, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 9/18/2009

Editor's Note: Health care reform remained the topic of focus for Friday’s American Morning audience. Senator Baucus’ health care proposal, unveiled earlier this week, was criticized for claiming to be “bi-partisan” when neither Republicans nor Democrats had supported the plan. Many remarked that Senator Baucus had lost all “credibility” because of his push for inappropriate homeland security funding for his state.

• Dan: Why do you keep referring to the Baucus bill as bi-partisan? NOT ONE Republican supports it. Hopefully, no Democrats will support it either, since it is nothing but a giveaway to the insurance industry. I guess it's too much to expect that you corporate tools at CNN would want to explain these facts to your viewers.
    Jerry: Sen. Baucus lost all creditability when he supported giving 15 million to built/upgrade border crossing stations in his home state. A public option is the only way the American people will come out ahead in the health care bill, anything else we lose.

Many viewers perceived the "Wingnuts" segment as too “right-leaning,” and asked the President Obama be given a “fair shake.”

• Armando: Horrified by the "Wingnuts" of the week segment. I work across the street from you folks here in DC. There is literally a mob mentality in the right wing right now....open racism towards our President and you folks try to make it funny? And act like there is an equal amount of lunacy on the right and left? Come on. This type of belittling of racism and extremism will lead toward violence toward our President and the left. Pelosi's speech the other day should set off alarm bells...The real nuts out there with guns here the Republicans yell at the President, talk about going toward Socialism…there are many who would commit violent acts to stop that. Wake up CNN and stand for something!. Stand for a civil discourse, and not yield to the mob. You can start by giving Lou Dobbs a pink slip. This Mexican American will never watch CNN when that nut is on.
  • Joe: Just when I'm starting to think that CNN is reporting more factually and less right-leaning (which you began during the Bush W reign), you do it again. The Wingnut segment was totally right leaning. There is NO excuse for Joe Wilson lashing out at the President, I don't care which party you are, but all you said was that he collected a ton of money over it and became a hero, etc., with no mention even of his opponent raising a ton of money, as well, or that MANY Americans are outraged over what Joe did. Then the host said several times that he attended the 9/12 rally and talked very positively about that along with your never ending clips of those Obama-bashing rallies attended only by the radical right, always showing that disturbing banner of Obama made up to look like the Joker. For years, I counted on CNN to simply give me the news in a factual, non-biased way and you need to get back to that. We Americans MUST, AT MINIMUM, give Obama and the Dems a FAIR SHAKE after 8 years of almost losing everything due to Bush & Cheney!

President Obama has been in office for less than a year. Is he being judged too harshly by conservative critics? How do you feel about the strong opposition to many of his policies? Should he be given a “fair shake,” as the viewer above requests?

Filed under: We Listen
  1. Cynthia Redway

I do not believe the President has been fairly treted. Every one deserve to be treated with respect, This President is not given
    the respect he earned. He deserve better than this from the american
    people, after all he is working very hard to make this country a better
    place for us and our children.I Believe RACE has a lot to do with it.
    IF The President could wave a magic wand and fix eight years of
    abuse by the former President, he would have done so. My advice to
    President Obama is this; Put God first in your life ,lean on him not on
    your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge, and he will
    direct your path. King David in the bible did and God was with him all
    the way, even when he goes out to war.let us pray for our President.

September 29, 2009 at 9:17 am |
  2. CSB

Hey! Guess who's visiting and giving a speech in a Communist Country? And, meeting with Communist Businessmen to take your jobs? P-A-L-I-N. The self proclaimed All-American wingnut is speaking at a meeting being hosted by a Communist country aka China, to aide trade between the US and China. Like Ross Perot said "that sucking sound you hear are US jobs being sent to China." And, Ms Palin is helping send yours, mine and our jobs to China.

So, all you "take back my country wingnuts" should be proud of Ms. Palin's efforts. She will help you by skillfully negotiating ways in which to send your job, your son's and daughter's future jobs, your grandchildren jobs, and every generation of jobs, to that hot bed of ingenuity China, as well as to India, Indonesia, Taiwan, and the Philippines. She can look like an American, walk & talk like an American while making cozy with a Communist Country and get paid for it! I guess if you call her Un-American, like she did during the election to President Obama, you would hear the wrath of the right-wingnuts ready to shoot you with their automatic guns. Call her what you like, but don't call her the next person in line for the presidency, you would definitely have a Communist sympathizer who cozy ups to China in higher office, well, probably not for very long, she would just quit like she did as governor of Alaska.

September 21, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  3. GG

Oh by the way only 15% of all American Physicians belong to the AMA so when you see the commercial about healthcare backed by them, keep that in mind please.

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  4. GG

Health care isn't fair. For those of us who work in Hospitals. COPD (smokers) and Obeisity (diabeties, CHF, SOB, cellulitis, bed soars etc) are the biggest bill we see unpaid in our Hospital. Are you willing to tell the senior citizens they don't deserve the care they worked for so we can give free healthcare to people who won't care for themselves... I am not willing to (share ) no matter what race or sex they are.

September 21, 2009 at 9:52 am |
  5. Cheryl

In answer to your question, of course he's being judged harshly. I guess I would hate to live next door to a Republican/Conservative if my house was burning down. They would allow the house to burn, rather than help to put out the flames. We have an economic situation that could have been worse if something had not been done to manage the problem. Lehman is a perfect example. They allowed this financial institution to burn to the ground, and now are suffering the consequences of their decision. The UK is doing an expose' of how this failure has affected their markets going forward. Catch it on CNN International.

Also, what is not being reported is the assertion by Republican/Conservatives is that in the past 10 years the United States has created over 40 million jobs. I would ask what jobs have been created? Where are the jobs? China, Indonesia, Taiwan, India, etc. I think anyone making assertions such as this should be held accountable to prove the creation of jobs.

I can remember my dad telling me in 1970, I was 10 years old, when Nixon visited China to explore relations with them, he said " those idiots" are going to send jobs to this Communist country and sell the public a bill of goods about lower cost goods for everyone. My dad a simple man got it right. I worked for Mattel Toys, and they figured out how to send my administrative job to China in order to cut their costs. Jill Barad was making $50 million dollars a year in 1998 at the time. Now, in 1998 I was making $45,000 at the time. Since I didn't speak Chinese, it was better for them to have my department's admin division in El Segundo California be sent there instead of here, and pay to those who are now doing my job lower wages. So, if you believe that we have created 40 million jobs, you probably believe the Moon is made of cheese.

Every utterance from a politician, public policy agency, news reporter, news commentator, liberal, conservative, independent, non-political, news paper publishers, Fox News, Joe Scarborough, Rush, and all the rest should be held to the grindstone. I would like to know where, what and how do they get their facts and are they proveable. I'm tired of being given sound bites, cloudy and veiled statements instead of real facts of what you are talking about. I say if you make a statement, back it up with the facts.

September 21, 2009 at 9:43 am |
  6. Noble Lee

I'm not afraid to call a duck a duck when it walks like one. I agree with Jimmy Carter's assessment and a comment form the last CNN Mad As Hell interview regarding anger in America from a black retired postal worker who said, "Go back? I don't want to see America go back to anything I've see." Hear, hear and nor do I, or back to what my dad saw or my grandfather experienced because middle-American were a minority of hate filled "Mad Men" then and it seems they're reprising a new "posse" all over again–Tea Party. They freaked-out when Lincoln asked for emanicipation and a civil war was launched, when negroes asked to fight and fly in WWII and intially denied, when war soldiers asked to be fed in restaurants nationally and were harrassed, when blacks moved from designed ghettoes into neighborhoods of their choice and were arsoned or threatened away, when King marched for freedom and was later shot, Kennedy supported equal rights and was later shot, testing negroes before they could vote and was later hanged, when blacks ran for office and later abandoned, when black panthers confronted unlawful abuse and were annilhilated, all designed historically by local radio and ill-based "news show" rowdies, and still you freak out about a president that wants something for YOU–better health, My gut tells me this blog makes you mad as hell.

September 21, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  7. Ed

CNN should know and report that unemployment is the last thing to recover from a recession and report the news in a responsible way as President Obama has presented it. He is being honest and responsible. During the last major recession in the Reagan years unemployment was higher than it is now for a full year (above 9.8%) and above 9% for a year and a half (Bureau of Labor Statistics). By this measure the current progress seems on track to do better in an even more severe recession.

Part of the reason people are mad is because the cable news networks do not present the news. They just put on the people who yell the loudest and CNN doesn't even challenge what they say. (For example – the death panels). Even your truth tests do not always relay on facts but on opinions of biased groups.

On the health care debate you have been particularly laxed. Even known mistatements go unquestioned or at best suggesting that there is a doubt.

I used to admire CNN but now don't know where to turn for responsible news. PBS or BBC World present the news in a responsible way but I am not always home to watch them.

September 21, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  8. Neil Alter

Racism is behind the tea parties and Joe Wilson's yelling at the president. If Sen. Evan Bayh had been elected president, do you think Rep. Joe Wilson would have been yelling , "You Lied" at him? I don't think so. They didn't have a tea party when Bush wasted a trillion dollars on Iraq. They didn't have a tea party when Bush 's Drugs for Seniors bill cost 3 times what it was supposed to. They didn't protest when Bush signed HIS stimulus bill. I live in central Indiana; the racism here is very real. I hear it every day.

September 21, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  9. GG

Sorry to say the race card doesn't work here. Amazing to hear how many people don't notice all the Black people in the crowds asking for the government to back off of the health care mess. Also we are registered dems also. We don't have to be racist or republicans to disagree with the Congress or the President. By the way my party (the Democrats) were in charge of Congress during President Bush's term also.... Thanks for giving all of us a chance to be heard. God bless and take care America.

September 21, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  10. James McQue

We'd all like utopia, but cannot afford it. Trillions and Trillions and Trilllions. From where? We're broke. Our national 'credit card' is maxxed out.
    Fair shake? Please.
    Again, our national credit card is MAXXED OUT. Get it?

September 21, 2009 at 8:46 am |
  11. J Vivian

Looking at the situation in your country, from Canada, I am amazed at your "all about me" society attitude. You are know for this attitude throughout the world & frankly this is why you are not liked. President Obama was the hope of not only your nation but also around the world as the person who you help you people change your "selfserving" attitudes. But I can see that as the year has gone on now racism has also been thrown into the mix. It is very sad to see just a large & powerful society go down this road to self destruction.

September 21, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  12. Jody

carol costello's reporting today was the first time in quite a while, i heard something other than subtely and not so subteky fueling the 'mob mentality.' i believe you have a responsibility to be journalists and not sensationalists. in your own ways both of you are often underscoring the out of control anger and challenging the president- with a kind of almost righteous sarcasm. my hope is you will look at the power of the media- and begin to focus on the necessity that we begin to move more together. this divisiveness is destructive- and while it may have begun for political gain- it has unleashed pain, discontent, and fear that if fueled will contiue to escalate. i know that people respond to what gets noticed, and what gets noticed increases in frequency. i think it is critical for you to be more measured- emphasize the strengths- the power of working together- rather than finding 2-10 experts who can fight with one another for the purpose of selling news. perhaps news will sell equally well- if you begin from a more positive position.
    thank you.

September 21, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  13. Mike Armstrong TX.

Its true your a good listhener but your bias as hell about about posting equal comments.

September 21, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  14. Cicero J. Gilreath

I agree, I think he should be given a break, after all he did not create this mess. Would you prefer to have George W working to get us out of this mess?

Think about, for the most part the republicans have not presented any good ideas on resolving any of these issues, if they have CNN and other news shows have done a poor job of presenting them.

It appears that republican are all of a sudden concerned about the economy and the debt that their grandchildren will be burdened with. They weren't concerned one bit when George W. ran through that surplus Clinton left like Grant ran through Richmond, no not at all concerned about their grandchildren.

Regarding all the anger that Americans are feeling, yea I'm angry with these spineless republicans in the senate and congress. They know very well that the health care plan proposed by President Obama has no death panels but they continually promote this nonsense... THEY LIE because it serves their purpose. I truly fell sorry for so many of the republican middle age and senior citizens I see screaming and shouting at these rallies and town hall meetings. They act as if their world is coming to an end and it's President Obama's fault.

I was not fond of George W, I didn't care for his positions on more then a few issues and I resolved in this way, " I believe if a person knows better they do better". I didn't hate him, and with a son in the Air Force who did (2) tours, I had very strong feelings on the issue... but I did not hate him nor did I wish him any harm.

I realize that you(CNN)should be objective in presenting both sides of the debate, and I comend you for your Lie-o-meter or something similar you do with regards the positions of each party. But I think you can do better, I think it's time you take a position on issues that can conceivably tear this country apart. Why in Gods name are these people permitted to bring guns anywhere near the president. God forbid if something should happen to our president, history will not be kind to those who did not take a stand on such issues, and will clearly show that hate, fear and confusion is alive and well in America.

Best regards,

Cicero J. Gilreath

September 21, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  15. Kate

As I watched President Obama's media blitz on Sunday (which will be capped off by a stint on Letterman tonight), I kept thinking of Senator McCain's ad from last year where he claimed that "Obama is a celebrity...." This media blitz does look more like something that you'd expect from Paris Hilton than from a sitting president...

September 21, 2009 at 8:12 am |
  16. james windings

yes i do think so . conservatives do not want a democratic president. that is what it bols down to. when goerge w bush was president you did not hear one word out of them be cause he was just like htem.

September 21, 2009 at 7:44 am |
  17. Tanis Propst

Perhaps President Obama should have just rammed his agenda through Congress, making Executive Decisions the way President Bush did. Bush didn't ask anyone's opinion–he just did what he wanted to do whether people liked it or not. Now we see why. Ask for an opinion and you get havoc. Everybody wants to get in on the act and see who can outshout each other. It's the "in" thing to be obnoxious at the top of your voice. You're "cool". You get slaps on the back and attaboys. And someone else is going to try to outshout you, make a more obnoxious sign, get their picture on TV, get notoriety...and just where does the rudeness, the stupidity stop? Fair shake or not, the President sets a heckuva better example than CNN.

September 21, 2009 at 7:05 am |
  18. Fred E Wilkes

Health Care first bring down the cost of Hospital /Doctors !!!!
    Does anyone know anything about small business grants ???
    I've been at this grant thing for about 3 weeks and I'm still at a dead end. Been to every website the Gov has and Fed , had a couple of company's rip me off and now wondering where to go next
    SOMEONE TALK TO ME

September 20, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  19. Bill

Anyone who believes that race is not part of the negative commentary is either very naive or engaging in wishful thinking. Racism is a live and well in this country and over the past 10 years has gotten worse. In part the Bush administration's polarization of population created "Balkan States" of white middle and upper class and those who are working poor, minorities, people of color and immigrants. The thought of leadership by a liberal to moderate Black President has sent shivers through the white middle class population. One need only look at those who are most vocal, most outrageous, most hateful (i.e. pictures of Obama as Hitler or Marx) – they are all white middle/upper class folks. Racism is only going to improve if people are brought together to solve problems. That cannot happen when they are polarized. The protesters and tea partery folks are not encouraged to come together with people or color and poor folks and working. Quite the contrary. The white middle class has insurance, homes, cars, jobs and success. They are not encouraged to share so that others can enjoy. There is this belief that the playing field is level – it is not if one is a person of color, is poor, is an ethnic or religious minority. So, racism is very much alive and part of this discussion even if it is sumbliminal.

September 20, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  20. Margaret

I'm really sorry that my earlier comment was not posted. My comment was geared toward support for President Obama and my dismay with most of the reporting from CNN. I realized that I mis-quoted the name of Mr. Roland Martin as Ronald Williams" and I do send my deepest apologies for that blunder! I deeply respect Mr. Martin as well as Anderson Cooper and Ms. Amonupor, for their courage to go out in the trenches to get the cutting edge stories. My comment was primarily directed toward the youthful sometimes uninformed anchors and not the tried and true reporters. who risk their lives to bring America the facts. For their work and efforts, I hold them in high esteem!

September 19, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  21. Joseph Simon

On your story this morning regarding healthcare, the reporter referred to immigrants as 'aliens'. Could we at least realize that they are from this planet and not from some distant universe? We all have a right to be on this planet. Work It Out!

September 19, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  22. Joseph Migyanka

No "fair shake". Now let's discuss the terrorist plots in NYC planned be an orchestrated band of muslims!

September 19, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  23. Ellyn

Ms. Holan rated President Obama's statement "Preventive care will cost less" as FALSE. She went on to state that "testing everyone for everything "will cost money and not save money. I don't think Ms. Holan understands what PREVENTIVE care is. It is not testing for diseases and then finding something in it's early stages when there is a better rate of success for a cure. Preventive health is living right so bodies do not get sick in the first place. It's exercising and eating right to maintain health. That does save money and costs less than treating any disease or ailment at any stage of discovery.

September 19, 2009 at 9:57 am |
  24. annette arnold

You know they keep talking about the uninsured over loading the Healthcare system. These people are in the system now. They are in our hospitals. They are treated in the ER untill they get really sick and then they are placed in the hospital and the bill is so big that they are then elegable for Medicar. If these people were reciving preventive care (set up primary care areas in our ER) they would not be getting so sick. Most drug stores now have medican that cost $4 a month. These are the drugs that doctors should be prescribing.

September 19, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  25. Margaret

Yes, of course our President should be given a "fair shake". I too blame the media, for it's often times bias opinions on the left and right wing issues. As a "baby boomer", I recall tuning in to CNN to hear reported factual and reliable news information. However, that isn't the case anymore. News anchors of today, seem to be uninformed and are seeking celebrity status with no real substance behind their reporting, for the sake of ratings. They all look nice but yield little or no substance. I don't want to tune in to CNN, for the latest so called, celebrity news. We are already inundated with to many shows that command the arena of frivolous "so called" reporting! My last straw, with CNN, was earlier this week, whereby Rick Sanchez, called upon, Roland Williams to debate and decipher, President Obama's comment(the Black perceptive view) about Kanye Wests' inappropriate behavior during the VMA awards! I commend Mr. Williams' position especially, since he is the only Black correspondent,(on the air) that is employed by CNN. Although, I was on board with Rolands' response, it is not indicative for all Black Americans. I've been dismayed over the past several years, of the reporting from CNN and now just tune into the BBC,news channel for the facts!

September 19, 2009 at 9:41 am |
  26. Allen

After 6 years of unopposed move toward fascism by the Bush administration the so-called Conservatives now have the gall to stand up to big government!!! I guess that when the big government fits your opinion of what government should be it is fine, and the bigger the better. Obama isn't being opposed because of his policies alone. The "sheep in wolves' clothing" (sic) would accept anything from government if it meant they would be better off, and that's what Obama's policies would do. So there must be another reason, and I'll let history record what that reason is. Obama will never be given a fair shake from the Right, and all the world knows this. If the media doesn't shine the light on the truth behind opposition to Obama then they (YOU) are not doing your job.

September 19, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  27. Ginger

I know why Fox said you did not cover the "Tea Party" events. They noticed as I have that they has been an attempt by CNN to keep its reporting as unbiased as it can. They wish to keep the negativity against the health plan and you continue the negativity if you bring your reporting on the Tea Party events as you just did. Do not fall for the trick.I must also say as a Caribbean person your reporting is not as unbiased as you think, the way you word your questions and statements sometimes is not unbiased. Just be careful how you word your questions and make statements sometimes you come over as supporting one side more than the other you need to find that neutrality. Try to keep the negativity and violent protest out, if not I fear that it will insight violence. I am sure this is why the President is ignoring the race issue. Your reporters etc will be trusted if your reporting is unbiased.

Your Caribbean friend.