American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 22nd, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 9/22/2009

Editor's Note: Tuesday's American Morning audience reacted strongly to Carol Costello's exploration of the gun control debate. Many angry gun owners expressed opinion on why they support the right to bear arms. The majority viewed ownership as a “constitutional right,” for protection and enjoyment.

• David: I have been raise around guns all my life. I was taught how to handle them and respect them. The people who want to put restrictions on them need to step back. If guns are a problem where you live (such as crimes and etc.... then make tougher laws and quit slapping criminals on the wrist. The Constitution says I have a right to bear arms. I also have a right to protect my self, from anybody that might break in my house and also to protect my family. Charlton Heston said it best, The day they take my guns will be the day they pry it from my cold dead fingers. Parents need to take the upper hand and learn about guns and teach their children. IF you commit a crime with a gun you should do the crime. That’s why its up to the parents to teach their kids about guns the same as you would about all the other wrong things in the world. I also support the NRA. Thank you.
  • Jason: Personally gun control really needs to switch gears. Clearly it's in the Constitution, the right to own a gun. I recently have changed my views on this. I feel we should have the right to own a gun for protection and for sport. I personally don't hunt, but I really don't see the sport in using a AK47 and mowing down a city block in 2 seconds. chances are you're going to hit something, but whatever. What gun control should do, is actually do just that. control who can buy the guns and where they can buy them. every gun that is produced needs to be accounted for. it seems that guns were important enough to the founding fathers, to put it in the Constitution, but also they stated in the Declaration of Independence, all men are created equal. All these gun owners who are against equal rights and state the bible says that homosexuality is wrong, but no where does it say go out and buy a gun. They need to decide whether we are going to live by the bible or the documents that formed this country. they can't have it all.
  • Angel: Owning a weapon in the us is a right given to all Americans through the constitution, there are groups and individuals that use weapons to correct problems that is wrong . A person has the right to bear arms.
  • Fred: Regarding gun control. Firstly I am an Expert with a machine gun and a Sharpshooter with a Carbine according to the US Army. I have been taught about firearms since I was 12 years old. I have protection. No one needs an automatic weapon but the military and Federal Agencies. Pistols should only be in the hands of licensed people and bond holders of $2,000,000 or more with a State issued license. With no guns in our possession America would already have been invaded and wild animals would kill in some circumstances.

Why do you think some gun owners are angry? Where do you stand on this issue?

Filed under: We Listen
  1. Lillie Pride

I believe you have the right to bear arms, but I think caring guns to any public political gathering should be prohibited.
    The only reason this issue is being put out to the public is a pollitical move on the Republicanss part and there are people trying to do anything to defeat this President.
    Wake up people you are being scared by your own words the thing I have only heard on this issue is from people like you who believe everything the Republican and their crew put out to way lay the subject at hand.

October 5, 2009 at 12:24 pm |
  2. Mike Griffin

I apologize if you already received my first comment. However, I am worried I did not send it in it's entirety. It is as follows:

I am a former active duty United States Marine of nine years, having very proudly served my country. I cannot understand how our politicians and leaders who are, thought to be and hopefully are, wise and educated individuals even entertain such ignorant legislation as the removal of weapons from law abiding citizens. They are supposed to be serving our country as well, not taking our Constitutional right to bare arms. Do they leave their brains at home, or are they really that blind and ignorant. We elect these, supposedly intelligent officials, and in return some of them want to leave us at the mercy of every thug or criminal out there. Hello! Criminals and dishonest individuals will continue to arm themselves. As my grandchildren would say, “Duh!”. Even they can comprehend the ignorance of such legislation to disarm law abiding citizens. Perhaps, if these elected officials would not attempt to think so hard and just use common sense, they just might be able to understand.. Bless their hearts. Maybe some of them really can't understand. I would like to share some comments I have seen and heard over my 56 years as a law abiding citizen and Marine.
    1. A man or woman with a gun are citizens. An unarmed man or
    woman are preferred victims.
    2. In many cases, a gun in the hand may be better than a cop on the
    phone.
    3. If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
    Our elected officials, be honest with yourselves and use a little,
    just a little, common sense. Criminals WILL continue to obtain
    both legal and illegal guns just as they do now. Honest
    people/subjects will be helpless. Surely, you must know this!
    Most criminals already have honest citizens out gunned and in
    many, far too many cases, our law enforcement officers of which I
    hold the highest respect.
    4. 911, when facing an armed criminal, or your home is already
    invaded by one, is America's answer for dial a prayer.
    5. Criminals LOVE disarmed citizens and business owners. It
    makes their jobs much more safe and easier.
    Even though it will not stop criminals and thugs from obtaining them, I do believe there should be a background check, as our state already requires, to purchase a handgun. I believe it should be extended to include long barrel guns as well. I believe, proper training and background check should be required to obtain a concealed carry permit. Our state requires this as well. These requirements are the only, common sense, requirements that we can place on guns. This will give some sort of control, unfortunately, still over our honest citizen's guns. Like many people say, ”a lock only stops an honest man”. ELECTED OFFICIALS, as many of my teachers used to say, "put on your thinking cap". I own a handgun and I am a man people would want around if caught in a situation where some individual opens fire on men, women, or children. I would do everything possible to prevent victims or, I would die trying. No thanks or notoriety wanted. Not a hero by any means. That is just the way God made me. Even if they were one our misguided leaders attempting to take away one of our Constitutional rights, I would be there for them.
    Mike Griffin, Asheville, North Carolina

October 3, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Mike Griffin

1. A man or woman with a gun are citizens. An unarmed man or
    woman are preferred victims.
    2. In many cases, a gun in the hand may be better than a cop on the
    phone.
    3. If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
    Our elected officials, be honest with yourselves and use a little,
    just a little, common sense. Criminals WILL continue to obtain
    both legal and illegal guns just as they do now. Honest
    people/subjects will be helpless. Surely, you must know this!
    Most criminals already have honest citizens out gunned and in
    many, far too many cases, our law enforcement officers of which I
    hold the highest respect.
    4. 911, when facing an armed criminal, or your home is already
    invaded by one, is America's answer for dial a prayer.
    5. Criminals LOVE disarmed citizens and business owners. It
    makes their jobs much more safe and easier.
    Mike Griffin, Asheville, North Carolina

October 3, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. VZE

However succinct the Second Amendment, at least two of its terms call for particular attention. The prohibition against "infringing" upon the inherent right to bear arms is broad and inclusive and embraces virtually any form of adverse influence. The use of this term neatly avoids having to meet a standard of abuse, but is directed at and disallows even the subtlest intrusions. The term, "regulated", on the other hand, is of some special concern largely because 200 years has provided for a subtle evolution in meaning that is easy to miss. Interestingly, Eighteenth Century clocks in Great Britain were often marked, "regulated", a term reserved to indicate that the time piece was properly calibrated to indicate the passage of a minute or hour accurately. British clocks were neither governed nor controlled, nor was it the purpose of the Bill of Rights to invite a right, this or any other, to be subject to any form of external governance or control. An appropriate meaning for a well regulated militia, then, is one well trained (calibrated) in the use of arms for defense, and that does make conceptual sense. Note, especially, that the amendment doesn't address "well regulated" as a condition upon which the right depends, but simply offers it by way of a central important objective of the decision to enumerate it (note the 9th Amendment). Varmit hunting is unlikely to have been deemed so critical.

September 24, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  5. Tim cole

For those of you who have used the words "unalienable," "God-given," "natural-born," etc., the actual words to the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution are: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
    An individual is not a "well regulated Militia." In fact, the word "regulated" means "controlled" or "governed."

September 24, 2009 at 12:44 am |
  6. U.S. Navy Seal Veteran

I agree with Fred's comments, being a former U.S. Navy Seal as in Special Forces for those who are not familiar with these words; Look up Seal Creed on the Website for U.S. Navy Seals. I've used the best of the best sniper rifles, semi-automatic's and many many more neat gadgets the U.S. Government gave me to play with. I like anyone else, everyone has a choice in life, one way, or the other, and they should have to live with the decision they make, but , we are all humans, we make mistakes, we need to learn from our mistakes. Look at a person, like myself, just imagine what I could do with my Highly Skilled, Highly Trained Military background and knowledge. I've never been in trouble with the Law or anything else, because "I CHOOSE TO MAKE THAT DECISION" God Bless America and I am proud to have served this country and be an American!

September 23, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  7. Eric

If you don't want a gun, that's fine with me, I can understand. But, just because you don't want one doesn't mean the rest of us need to suffer by way of rediculous laws. Just because I own a gun doesn't mean I want to commit a crime, or hurt someone, or even carry it everyday. I am not part of some cult, gang, or some anti-government party. I enjoy shooting as a sport and teaching firearm safety. I am proud of the fact that my country will allow me to protect myself if need be. My wife feels much safer traveling through high crime areas if she does carry a gun. I am not a criminal, so don't treat me like one. Don't blanket the US population with stupid laws in an attempt to drive down criminals. It doesn't work and will never work. Drugs are illegal and they are still imported everyday, taken everyday, abused everyday, and do help some everyday. We need to take another approach at "gun laws".

September 23, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  8. Rob Nolan Sr.

There are two sides to the gun debate, obviously. People from both sides express very valid reasons for or against depending on their perspectives. The reality is...until we come together with a general understanding that we are all connected and what each individual does affects all others, there will be no agreement; there will be no peace. Don't you think that we (humanity) have come such a long way? Yes, but we have much to learn. I believe that what we need in this time is to get our ego's in check. How will we survive if we don't begin to recognize the importance of "we" instead of "me"? It is the next logical step in our evolution. Until we begin to address issues from the perspective of "we', there will always be division. It doesn't matter if it's the gun debate, war, or the economy. We must lose ourselves to find "ourselves". Peace to all.

September 23, 2009 at 11:22 am |
  9. Steve

Gun ownership is a right of citizenship in the United States. Our forefathers thought enough of this issue to include it in the constitution. If protecting the public is so important as the gun control people advocate then we should treat other forms of violence in an equal manner. Alcohol consumption kills more people through domestic violence and automobile accidents than guns. Yet any one of legal age can buy as much alcohol as they want even when the go through a drive through liquor store. Should we not license liquor purchases and if you have been charged with DUI then you cannot buy alcohol? My bet is this will never happen by just looking at a professional football game where almost all ads are for beer. Lets get real on this issue and prosecute criminals rather than taking away constitutional rights from all citizens over the actions of CRIMINALS. Since when should we all be punished for the actions of people who choose to use firearms in a criminal manner. If this was an issue of free speech then the news media would be certainly for our constitution. Why not advocate a constitutional stand for the 2nd amendment? Let's not let radical gun control groups take away rights our founders fought and died to preserve. Our freedom. If this freedom is denied what is next, freedom of speech?

September 23, 2009 at 10:57 am |
  10. VZE

A license is specifically defined in law as the extension of permission to act or not act in a way that would be illegal in the absence of that permission. Without commenting on the importance of an "unalienable right to keep and bear arms", it does seem clear that anyone consenting to be licensed for ownership or possession of arms has already abandoned any right he may have once had. Constitutional rights have virtually nothing in common with civil privileges. Once forfeited, there isn't often much of a legally recognized opportunity for reclaiming a right.

September 23, 2009 at 10:01 am |
  11. mark scholes

ive lived on the fringe of society most of my life, all over the country. i can get a illegal gun anywhere. ive known cops $100 $200 over the price of a gun they will get you anything you want. the only time i have known someone to have a problem buying a gun is legally. anyone thinks tough gun laws will make it hard to buy a gun is a fool and an idiot. just makes it hard for lawabiding people.

September 23, 2009 at 9:48 am |
  12. Fred

DO NOT take the right to keep and bear arms from the American citizen. Take the rights from the CRIMINALS. Stop the criminals and the organized crime in this country and you won't have to worry about the law abidding citizen. Our judicial system seems to support the rights of the criminals while forgetting the law abidding people who have kept this country free for hundreds of years. Guns do not hurt people. Criminals with guns hurt people. Teach the children and the adults about gun safety and how to properly handle guns so as not to harm anyone. I was taught gun safety by my Father from the time I was a small child. If every parent would teach their children about gun safety there would be a lot less children getting hurt or killed by guns. Children are curious and without someone teaching them they will mishandle not only guns but many other things that will get them hurt or killed. Parents seem to overlook such things as automobiles, knives, sticks, rocks, and numerous other things that can do harm just as quick. Will the automobiles be the next item on the list for the anti gun people? The automobile can kill just as quick as the gun when no one bothers to teach safety. Will the kitchens in every home be without a knife to use in preparing your food because it is a weapon in the minds of the criminal and the self centered uninformed anti everything people. We are supposed to be living in a FREE country. Where is our freedom going to be if we let all these Anti American groups get their way and take away all our rights. I am AMERICAN and PROUD to be an AMERICAN. GOD BLESS AMERICA IN GOD WE TRUST>

September 23, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  13. Janice in Mississippi

Gun owners are angry because they choose to be angry. Many of them are using this as an opportunity to overtly display their racism.

The "gone-mad-in-America" crowd brings back memories for many elderly minorities who grew up in this Country.

They have gone mad alright, but it is not about guns.

September 23, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  14. Tim cole

The one, unpersuading argument that many gun-rights advocates use: defense against "bad guys" - evidently, they know who the "bad guys" are.
    The Bill of Rights uses only a couple dozen words to address ownership of firearms, which don't include "God-given" nor do they address the fire power, the number of firearms, or individual freedom to own - and there is NO reference forbidding registration or licensing.
    Remember: many gunowners are law abiding until they shoot someone or damage property. Nearly all the "Laws on the Books" have been severely emasculated by gun lobby groups until those laws are virtually ineffective.
    We need gun laws!

September 23, 2009 at 8:53 am |
  15. RC

Yesterday, a man’s liberty was taken from him. He was taken from his family and friends and imprisoned because the state legislated away his natural born and constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms.

Carol Costello says our rights aren’t being infringed. Tell that to Plaxico Burress and his family. I’m not a fan of Burress. The circumstances clearly show he’s not a responsible individual.

Endangering the public safety by negligently discharging a firearm in public should be punishable just as any act that endangers the public safety. Punish the man for that. Don’t punish him for having the firearm.

September 23, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  16. Lillie Pride

I respect your rights to own one but I think you should no matter who it is, and not wear them at any political gathering.
    If you think it makes you look like a big man you are mistaken.
    Out of respect for our President and Representives.

September 23, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  17. Chloe

I am an angry gun owner, not only because our right to bear arms could be threatened, but because right now laws put in place are to try to keep America safe are completely screwed up! Do you know how easy it is for criminals to acquire weapons?? The government needs to approach that before taking away the average citizens rights to own fire arms. My husband and I are both stationed here at Fort Bragg and outside the base you would not believe the amount of gun crime that goes on. When the gas station across from our house got held up by a gunman, it was the last straw for my husband and I. We went to a near by outdoors store (I will leave nameless but you should know it was a store in which you can legally and safely buy fire arms) and while they would sell me a rifle (I'd only been in the military for a year at that time, and had minimal experience handling weapons compare to my husband), they would not sell my husband one. Now, you should know my husband is a decorated veteran who has been in the military for almost six years. He was an expert shooter and deployed as the battalions sniper. He was counted on to use his fire arms down range to protect America by taking down terrorist targets and he did just that. But this store would not sell my husband a weapon here on American soil! Yet the guy who robbed our neighborhood store had some how managed to get his hands on a weapon. The stores excuse for not selling my husband a weapon... "He's here for training and not permanently stationed here at Fort Bragg." Yes, he is here for training, a two year long Special Forces medical school that he is graduating from in October as his classes honor grad. You tell me if you believe that to be screwed up. Because when a criminal can access weapons so easily, probably illegally, but one of America's own veterans, a sniper and now Special Forces Medical Sergeant cannot legally buy a weapon, there is certainly something that needs to change about America's fire arm laws and protections. It needs to be harder for the wrong people to access weapons, and appropriate for honorable citizens to buy them to protect their families.

September 23, 2009 at 8:03 am |
  18. Matt

Gun ownership is not just a constitutional right of ours, but a founding constitutional right. I've been a gun owner since the day I turned 18, does that mean I am going to go out and commit a violent crime? No. I don't even hunt. So some would say why do you own guns? I own guns because I enjoy not only collecting them, but going to the range on a sunny afternoon and shooting.

I will also say this, since Australia banned gun ownership in 1996 the crime rate in Australia has not decreased, it has increased. If a criminal wants a gun, they are going to get it.

September 23, 2009 at 7:48 am |
  19. Mike Perkins

Everyone who is physically and mentally stable enough to handle a weapon and has had training in handling a weapon should be able to carry one. By these standards that would mean that only police, military and most hunters would qualify.

September 23, 2009 at 7:44 am |
  20. Daniel Stockton

I've had the misfortune of listening to right rads who believe that their nest of AK 47 pop guns are going to make the feds think twice about raiding their properties. If the warrants are signed and the use of force is authorized the little armories these guys have won't be much of a deterrent against Cobra and Apache helicopters.
    "WELL I'D RATHER DIE ON MY FEET THAN ON MY KNEES!"

If you've ever seen what these machines can do you'd know that, after the job is done, your knees and feet look pretty much the same.

September 23, 2009 at 7:43 am |
  21. Will

Gun laws or gun control are for law abiding citizens. Gun crimes happen by criminals! Doesn't Washington Dc have the highest crime and the hardest gun laws along with Chicago? So why doesnt congress spend more time passing more laws on the control of crack cocaine. That will definitely lower crimes associated with its use, right?!
    The founding fathers were right. Their distrust and distance from government control of the people has been what has saved us from ending up like the UK. From gun control to socialized medicine their forethought is greater than any politician we have ever had in this century.

September 23, 2009 at 7:42 am |
  22. Neno

It is so amazingly ridiculous that people are angry over gun control. It does not matter who you are, how much training you had, how educated you are, you never know whats going to happen. There are murderers that no one ever suspected and most of the time a gun had been used. I cant imagine how having a concealed weapon is so safe because no one can be trusted and once again you never know what a person is capable of and one sure thing is that we are all capable of murder and guns just make it easier.

September 23, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  23. nigel

hi morning
    the gun debat,only hunters and law inforcement people should carry guns.
    this is linked to healthcare costs actually.
    how many poeple in america get shot by a gun in one year ?
    who pays for this medical attention?
    take away guns and healthcare costs drop dramatically.

nigel

September 23, 2009 at 7:37 am |
  24. Sandra

I suppose just about everything angers me these days. I'm no expert on macroeconomics, but I understand microeconomics...the economics of my wallet. Sixty-three years old, supposedly have done "everything right", did the long-term work stint for the pension, waiting until 66 for Social Security payments, got my IRA going a few years back. So, where am I? Exactly where I was ten years ago. Only now have to unretire and find some work. Yech! I'm tired, folks. I don't want the government to take over one more industry. I don't want the government to take away my choice of having insurance or not, of how I want to end my life, of having to spend out all my savings just to get into an old folks home.

Oh, and did you hear? The President told Letterman that he (the prez) was a "black" man before the election! Did his white half just evaporate or what? I'm sure his mother's family would be proud.

September 22, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  25. TAVARES JACKSON

Well i think this is a crazy world,that we are in.IT seems as if nothing is going right

September 22, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  26. Harold

My wife and I are well educated, well compensated, semi-retired professionals. We are solid supporters of the 2nd amendment and the NRA. We are also well informed and know that 80%+ of the gun violence is committed by inner-city minorities. Gang-related drive-by shootings, home invasions, carjackings, turf wars, convenience store hold ups, etc. are not being perpetrated by law abiding citizens who own guns. Apparently, the highest status one can achieve in the urban nightmare the progressive caretakers have created is to shoot fellow minorities at the least sign of competition or disrespect.

The liberal media spins out their images of the gap-toothed, Harley capped, Appalachian ridge-runners as representative of gun owners in general. Never do we hear the possibility presented that the New Black Panthers, Nation of Islam, and others might have a few firearms stockpiled themselves. It's just always the scary militia fringe that has the guns.

Legal gun owners, and those who have gone through background checks, training, etc. to obtain a concealed carry permit, are some of the most law abiding and responsible citizens in this country. Law enforcement data completely supports that conclusion. In an effort to reduce inner-city gun violence, it would be far more productive for black business leaders, politicians, teachers, well-paid athletes and entertainers, to get involved in person, and to take a hands-on approach, rather than blaming the NRA and those evil guns. As law abiding gun owners, we're among many who are really tired of being painted with the same brush as the outlaws who shouldn't own firearms in the first place.

September 22, 2009 at 9:09 pm |
  27. Doug

Some gun owners are angry because the Constitution guarantees the right to own them, and they feel that right is being threatened. Guns have not been a part of my life, but I support the right for anyone to own them if they so choose, and there are many good reasons for gun ownership. The most obvious are for protection of self and property or as a deterrant to crime. Crimes are committed by people, not by guns, or knives or baseball bats or anything else. The very unfortunate truth is that people abuse people...people rob and murder people. We simply need to do a better job at raising an ethical and moral society and to enforce the laws that exist that protect people from people and leave the guns alone.

September 22, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  28. Liz Carpenter

Guns have been a part of my life since the day I was born. The "gun room" was off limits to me, and my parents made sure to educate me about them and made me respect and understand them. When I was 12 I took my hunter safety course and was taught the proper way to handle and use a firearm. Even after my father bought me my first rabbit-hunting gun, a little youth model 4/10, I wasn't allowed to go near it without him supervising me. When I was in 5th grade I gave my "how to do something" presentation on how to properly fire and handle a firearm (using a wooden colorguard rifle as my example). When I was in 10th grade, I gave a speech about my 2nd ammendment rights to bear arms. Now, at 25, I am a member of a pistol club and shoot weekly in a rifle league. Guns, to those of us who love the sport, are not a "weapon", infact, they're no different to us than a raquet is to a tennis player. It upsets me every time I read in the news that someone has been shot, because it's just one more blow against those of us who were properly educated and don't skirt around the laws. Parents need to step in and start putting their foot down to their children about the difference between right and wong... it goes so much deeper than just about guns... there are so many kids who go home to an empty house because their parents are forced to work, and I understand that it must be difficult, but parents NEED to take responsibility and put in that extra effort to spend time with their children to teach them responsibility... not just about guns, but about everything. Our world is going to hell in a hand basket because parents are FAILING terribly.

September 22, 2009 at 7:03 pm |
  29. Timothy Carver

I Would like to see more pressure put on the Government about Illegal Immigration ! I am a mason with what's left of my business they have came here to North Carolina and under bid everyone because they don't have to pay Taxes nor workman's comp, & as soon as the work is over they move on to the next town like a hoard of Locust !!! I am just one of many who are tired of seeing a Mexican sending money back home for when all the work is gone they move on till they can move back to Mexico !!!! Let's get rid of them like the Constitution says NOW

September 22, 2009 at 6:03 pm |