American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 23rd, 2009

Mad as Hell: Can we bridge the bitter divide?

By Carol Costello and Ronni Berke

Solutions – that's the tough part. We're on, hopefully, the tail end of a deep recession. We've been living beyond our means and there is a sense that not all of our politicians have been stand-up guys and gals.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/09/23/costello.mah.art.jpg caption="A protester wears an American Revolution-era flag and an Obama picture during the Tea Party Express rally on September 12, 2009 in Washington, DC."]

So what IS the fix?

"We ought to fire all the politicians and get new ones," says Pennsylvania Republican Chris Wesling.

Distrust in politicians is in our DNA. But today, says Republican consultant Rich Galen, things are different. “Now you've got an entire population, on the entire continuum, from left to right, including that gigantic center that looks across the political landscape and sees nobody that they like, nobody that they trust and nobody frankly that they want to follow."

Still, at the Latrobe/Gateway football game in western Pennsylvania, there were some still willing to give politicians a chance. The president, after all, has a 55 percent approval rating. The fix for some – is Mr. Obama.

"He's swimming against the current, you know, and he's got a lot of energy and he's got a lot of a battle," says Stanley Zimmerman, an independent. At the Community of Reconciliation Church in Pittsburgh, the fix is about hope too – and about redirecting our moral compass.

Watch Carol explore the national divide Video

"There's no question in my mind the moral authority in this country is capitalism and narcissism," says Pastor Denise Mason, a Democrat. "It’s me and how much. ... That's the basis upon which most of us make our decisions."

Dolan Vogle, a Republican, shares the same sentiment. "It's a very me, me, me attitude," she says. "I'm at fault because I give to my kids all the time."

Carl Vogle likens social harmony to a football team. "Everybody's got to pull their weight and once you do that you have a winning team. Same thing with the government and with America. Everybody works hard, we're going to get there."

Filed under: Mad as Hell • Politics
  1. Linda

Carol, you have got to be kidding. Obama loses love because he reached out to Republicans? Where and When? Was that behind a closed door too?

January 20, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  2. Warren Pugh

Beck's,
    All of the above plus:
    1. We are going to hire the Taliban as mercenaries?
    2. V.A. Officials receiving 25 million in bonuses.
    3. The stimulus package went into the pockets of?????
    4. Obama hired 30 czars.
    5. The education czar is worse than Van Jones.. Pedophile?
    6. Hilary is paying foreigners not to kill eachother.
    7. We do dos at home know that neither war is 'sustainable'.
    8. We should have the folks creating the Crazy Horse monument run
    the country. Some might they are crazy, but they ain't crooked.
    9. Why are we feeding breakfast, luinch and (?) to public school
    children who have x-boxes, cellphones, mp3s and ipods?
    10. Are our young men dying in the middle east for the right of those
    at home to swap, swing, switch and ?? God forbid. Politicians should be ashamed of themselves.

WASP

October 30, 2009 at 1:27 am |
  3. Beck's

I can't image why people are so upset. Maybe, bail outs, printing up money that's worthless, lawyer's in charge.......

October 29, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  4. Warren Pugh

Dana Phillips. Bullseye. WASP

October 28, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  5. Warren Pugh

Hello Danny,
    Swamped here. Warren S. Pugh=WASP Sorry. Gotta run.

October 27, 2009 at 9:56 pm |
  6. Dana Phillips

The responses to dissent that you have cited are telling. They talk of the protesters as "me, me, me" people, a clear attempt to marginalize the dissenting voices. In fact, the issue is the opposite. The current administration is causing the government to demand "me, me, me". The protest is about the growth of the government, not just its size, but its involvement in every area of private activity. Trying to stop the bankruptcy of our children's future is not about me. Spending other people's money on your chosen charity is not altruism.

October 27, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  7. Danny E

Hey Warren Pugh, question what does WASP stand for, I google it but i am pretty sure the links that came up are not the meaning.

October 27, 2009 at 9:51 am |
  8. Danny E

Kenneth L. Farmer, you have officially become my hero, I love your October 23rd, 2009 11:33 am ET post, and I could not have stated it better. I would like to add, we as a people need to check facts before posting. The comment we are pushing our beliefs unwanted is false, many people asked for us to be in their countries, those countries and their people ultimately benefit from us being there, in a number of ways.

Hello all, some great posts while I have been away.

October 27, 2009 at 9:47 am |
  9. Warren Pugh

Tom, Am fascinated by bees, love honey, peanut butter and soda crackers with a glass of milk, been studying bees from Northern California (Redding and east), and to the midwest where we bought some this summer; especially interested since this virus invaded thousands of hives.

Also taught and even subbed today. Currently reading the chilling and informative "Lies My Teachers Told Me" by James Loewen. Also read The Taliban by Ahmad Rashid (Lahore Pakistan) and for fun Tad Tulela's American History in 100 Nutshells recently. Like Jimmy Durante once said (he was lying) all this readin' and I know nuttin'.

What do you think of Brian Baird's suggested graduated income tax replacing the inept IRS? I oppose the 'graduate' part. I wouldn't trust
    a congressman with a background in law or accounting.

Have a great weekend. WASP

October 24, 2009 at 2:09 am |
  10. tomgnh

Gerry- that is what government does. It balances the interests of all the groups and makes decisions that better some at the expense of others.

There is little if anything you can point to that a government- any government- does that does not fit this description.

And I say this as one who supports government, not some pie-eyed idealist who thinks saying it's bad will make it go away and solve all our problems.

Speaking of pies, I see that Soupy Sales died. I loved his show.

October 23, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  11. GERRY

kenneth you are right that everyone should have a chance , but not at the cost of other americans... the govt has no right to take from some people and give to others....

October 23, 2009 at 11:48 am |
  12. GERRY

lol some of you need serious help... it doesnt help when the politicians who are supposed to be making it better are calling people rascist, morons, domestic terrorists... and here we are trying to push our beliefs on other countries who do not want us

and obama and and his puppets are not making it better

October 23, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  13. Jim Bob

Inflammatory propaganda appeals to the vile instincts. Mudslingers like Rush Limbaugh have roiled this country's better judgements.

October 23, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  14. Kenneth L. Farmer

My personal thought about "Mad as hell" article concerning people's attitude in this country over the people's choice for president in Barack Obama stems from past racism in this country and future possibilities concerning the status of poor and middle class citizens who position in life could change dramatically, financially and socially. America is consume by money and status(power) since this Great country existence. The past leaders of this country all the way up to last year's president, abused and avoided certain aspects of legislation that would/could have better the lives of the poor and middle class citizens in this country. All americans should have the opportunity to progress in this country financially and socially and i belive this position is what is driving "Mad as Hell" article.

October 23, 2009 at 11:33 am |
  15. tomgnh

I would argue for an historian at every cabinet and advisory meeting, especially the NSC. I agree, we have a memory of about three years (this year it only seems to go back to January-oh- 23). Twain was closer to the truth when he said "History doesn't repeat itself- but it rhymes." (I taught it for thirty years.)

I thought it ironic that we went into Iraq with a partner that had been driven out of Iraq by an insurgency, and declared we would create a nation out of a territory created by some diplomats in London in 1920 who apparently asked an archeologist for a cute name.

BTW- are you an apiarist?

October 23, 2009 at 10:04 am |
  16. Warren Pugh

"Digging way back when . . . " Let me see. Mein Kampf could be another example. Ezekiel learned well from his ancestor's experience. Then Wolfowitz got us into Iraq . . .with lots of advice from???? To you "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" is just an old cliche'. There is much evidence to the contrary.

Three 'major' Afghan invasions in the last hundred years and we haven't learned a thing.

Rhubarb ie anyone? WASP

October 23, 2009 at 9:29 am |
  17. Warren Pugh

Now wait a minute Tomgnh, you can blind side me on Ezekiel's penchant for confusing the public, but leave my rhubarb out of this. Actually Ezekiel needs us old duffers. With so many folks too chickenhearted to to put a whistle in their mouths causing such a shortage of sports officials and Ezekiel being East Mediterranean he's gotta keep us alive.

WASP? Bees. Washington State Patrol and a shrunk full name.

"Digging way back when . . ." Good point. Then why did Van Jones trip up? Wasn't it ' . . . way back when . . .'?

WASP

October 22, 2009 at 7:23 pm |
  18. tomgnh

s o'neill seems to be blaming those worse off than he is.

Question for you- if this has been the wealthiest decade in history, with more money being made than ever before, especially in finance, why haven't you seen it? Why haven't I? Why haven't those worse off than you?

At one time- before he gave a lot away- Bill Gates was worth more than the bottom 40 MILLION families. Not to pick on him- many we have ever heard of got remarkably wealthy, many for pushing numbers.

Does your ire increase when you hear of someone making $20 million on an insider trading scheme? Overbilling the Pentagon? Defrauding the state? Denying coverage to those who have paid their premiums?

And they pay lower taxes than we do.

I do not understand how you think those who have so little have screwed you over, but those who have so much have not.

October 22, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  19. tomgnh

First, what's with the WASP?

Second, I think you are distracting from any reasonable discussion of the here and now by digging though the way back then. The brother of the Chief of Staff wrote an article that has been twisted out of context, and the administration is discredited? Please.

He is listed a leading spokesperson against euthanasia, but he favors death panels? I guess we can lump him with Kerry, and Max Cleland, and John McCain as victims of Rovian attacks on their strongest features.

It's kind of like rhubarb pie.

Did you know Darwin's cousin came up with Eugenics? But we still teach evolution.

October 22, 2009 at 12:16 pm |
  20. soneill

You can't take any MORE from the hard working middle class-we're done. We had a great system here-you work hard, get your education, raise a couple of kids life was good. The same laws of nature prevail in business and society- the strong survive. It has always made us a better people, generation after generation we got better – stronger, bigger, healthier, and richer. Naturally some people are left behind, but for the most part they have been the weaker or inferior ones, the ones that made the easy (and wrong) decisions in life, the ill educated, the lazy, in short, the weaker animals in the woods. Until now, we have been able to somehow take care of this group thru charity, programs,etc. But more importantly, we have as a society tried to show these people how to "climb up". The reward system we had in place encouraged upward social mobility-it worked. Health care was linked to a "job" and the job was linked to education, and education was linked to hard work and sacrifice. Now it's not working,and its getting worse. So many jobs have been eliminated by the computer, our decision by some to go "global", the huge surge in illegals that are uneducated, the high birth rate and school drop out rate by the same groups-the system just won't work with the strains that are now on it. But by far the worst of it all is that our "new" government wants to take even more from the ever shrinking group that has had survived, raised families, sacrificed and somehow made it. When 40% of the country pays NO taxes, and now we are supposed to pay for free medical to illegal aliens (who by the way are taking jobs at half or less than the previous employees), also free medical to the 40% who pay nothing-it just is too much. We are done, we are angry and this just is not going to happen on our watch. When a good system like we had fails, its deadly serious. Are we now to reward those who "snuck in" our country and popped out so many babies they can't educate? Are we now telling so many that "you don't have to go to school to get a good job with benefits" – those other people WHO DID wil take care of you, we'll just take it from them. We are well on our way to becomming a third world mess of a country and our world enemies are watching.

October 22, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  21. Warren Pugh

Greetings everyone,
    This chatter, thanks to AM Fix, reminds me of the proverbial 'can of worms' to which we can all relate. Looking into that can of lively slithering critters is much like what we are experiencing today. The worms have gotten loose, God forbid, and at every turn we encounter:
    1. Veterans Administration officials and obscene bonuses. Salaries?
    2. Bonuses to recipients of the presidents stimulus package. Since
    when do corporate executives, or anyone, receive bonuses for fail-
    ing to meet quotas . . or whatever the target after we bail them out?
    3. Time to reign big spending hospitals in.
    4. $2,125/day for dialysis?
    5. Needles that cost $.44 are billed at $22.45 each??
    6. Latex gloves used by nurses costing $4.30/100 are billed to the
    patients @ $11.60/100. This is in 'care', rehab,nursing homes etc.
    7. The same entities making a profit drugs because they administer
    them..
    8. SEIU,in spite of great salaries for nurses wants to strike. They and
    the medical profession are holding us hostage to their so-called
    good will. In the caper with the latex gloves, if two or three patients
    are in the same room they pay $34.80 for that $3.40/100 box of Mc-
    Kisson gloves. I can dig 100 more like this.

I took a cellphone from a student last week and when she returned to
    pick it up I asked, "How many cellphones do you have"? Her response was, "Three". There are millions and millions of people out
    there who have made a choice between health care and 'techy' things for their children like X-boxes, phones, i-pods, mp3s and all kinds of games. What does this do for their health? Where have all the children gone"? They are inside avoiding fresh air . . . . .

Friends, I am up beat, but Mr. Obama is blind as a bat. Starting with ACORN was a mistake. He supposedly ran for president on a platform that already existed . . that he formulated. He has had time.
    He just got into the wrong company.

Read the Hastings Report of Ezekial Emanuel . . then give me some feedback. Have a great fall day. It is sunny here in the northwest with old sol shining through changing leaves. Not proofed.

WASP

October 22, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  22. tomgnh

I agree with Mary's proposal- I strongly support any move to beef up inspections, enforcement and punishment for any kind of health care fraud.

If it's good enough for ACORN exclusion from any federal billing should extend to any entity- person or corporation- that commits fraud. Here in the Northeast two drug companies apologized and paid fines of over $100 million- but can still bill Medicaid.

October 21, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  23. Mary Morris

When I retired in 2001 at 56 from a local industry, retirees could not and still can't choose a different plan. I had to take Plan 'C' at 65 dollars monthly, although this was not a bad price for healthcare with a $300 dollar deductible. Through the years the plan went to $259 to $289 monthly. This same health plan in 2009 cost $440 dollars a month. I have not reached Medicare age all cost is from my income. I had to take $1200 dollar deductible for $217dollars/monthly. Total expenditures from my insurance company year to date is about $8 thousand dollars although, I have paid premiums close to $20 thousand dollars for healthcare. My vote is for healthcare reform with an option plan minus fraud and abusive practices from insurance companies and healthcare providers. Any GOP members voting against this should not have healthcare for self and family paid by the people and the community needs to vote them out of office

October 18, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  24. Danny E

Hello Warren Pugh, I just wanted to explain my views and how I got them. I had a good friend who was and still is a hard core republican. Before he was a republican he was a democrat, anyhow He kind of took me under his wing when he learned I was getting interested in politics. My Interest started when they announced president Obama's was running, him and I when back and forth about Obama and McCain. Thinking the documented of accomplish of each senators would sway me; he challenged me to look at the record of both senators. This is the reason I do not claim a party. I liked the fact that McCain when against his party on a lot of issues, but I like Obama more. Experience is a great thing, but when you want something to change you do not go with old ideas to fix it, you bring now ones to the table. That is another problem of mine, with Capitol Hill, to properly make decisions for a country such as US where we are a melting pot of people; we need more races of people from different backgrounds. I think that would also help for one to smooth the United States ideas of what different races can do, maybe even break down stereotypes. I am happy with my decision for voting for President Obama.

Hello GERRY welcome to the debate, I would like to start to replay to your Text with a quote from my first Text on Mad as Hell. "Give the man a chance" Here is a good assignment for all the people complaining “what has Obama done for me lately”. Look at the eight years Bush was in and tell me how long did it take for him to fix a problem.

Next I want to address again for good measure the Universal health care
    I think Universal Health care is a great Idea. Here it is by the numbers

1. Universal health care can help all the people whom cannot afford health care.
    2. We can save money on paying for the people that cannot afford health through our taxes I.E. emergency room visits, pills, prescriptions, routine visits, and maybe save on malpractice.
    3. Help regulate paying for overpriced pills
    4. Give private insurance competition; put more money in our pockets
    5. Maybe help social security that I have been paying for sense I have been 15 which I may not see my return when I become old enough to use it.

There are other reason but I have to run.

Thanks for talking with me Warren Pugh

October 14, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  25. Warren Pugh

Good morning Danny,
    You are heading in the right direction. If you were to call one of my former students they would tell you I loved chess, music, sports, kids and rhubarb pie. Well, what does rhubarb have to do with anything?

Though math was my specialty I also taught PE, and history and as a substitute I get to teach almost everything to almost every age. A question at the end of every test was: #50. What is the Washington State Legislative hotline number? Answer: 360-562-6000. You read something that bothers you and you call. Once in a while you get your nose bruised because you should have known the answer, but its kind of like football . . in a way. A few bruises make you smarter, but you have a built in ethical code headed for refinement and bruises are what make it happen. The worst thing that can happen is that you
    compromise ethics . . . and you lose . . . .and so does he country.

Where ever you reside there are congressional representatives and in this day and age they are easy to access especially via the cell phone. Memorizing their numbers is smart because in the 21st century you can dial them as soon as you get wind of something you find alarming, or perhaps they need a compliment. If your luck is anything like mine you have forgotten that important matter by the time you arrive home or locate a phone.

Speak up. Worry not about blunders. I am reading "Lies My History Teacher Told Me". The people running this show are worse than we could ever be. Hope you have(had) a good day. Fall is so beautiful.

WASP

October 14, 2009 at 10:12 am |
  26. GERRY

if the government really cared about the people then the bill would of passed already... im a dem and yes i am proud i voted for clinton but i didnt vote for obama... the man has no experience and is proving it in every thing he does or says.

this country has a constitution that the administration is totally ignoring and instead of really trying to do something the repubs are sitting back and letting the dems hang themselves for the 2010 election..

and it is obvious that the repubs will take back the senate and alot of seats in the house. obama has not done one thing to help the country... to help the unions he has bent over backwards.. thats why you can forget about that cadillac tax on their healthcare packages... cuz just like the repubs are for the insurers the dems are for the unions and other special interest.

i see alot of people talking about greed from the insurers but the govt is worse. they sit in their nice offices making a few hundred thousand a year with their untouchable healthcare packages working three days a week and they dont do anything to help. before you all yell at each other you should be yelling at the losers in DC.. they are the ones ruining this country.

October 14, 2009 at 7:13 am |
  27. Danny E

Hello Warren Pugh, you have forty + years ahead of me in politics, I am still a baby in this area. In fact I really just started getting interested during Obama election. Reason being I felt and still feel that my opinion does not really matter. All the issues they fighting about on their level has an impact on (me, you, and others like us). We do not get a say in how to fix the problem or at least to hear our proposals. Why I like Obama so much it is He comes with a chance that maybe we will be heard for a chance. In the past I did not vote because none of the candidates really had any meaning to me. I did not think they we going to help or change my life in any way. I did not think they were out for my interests. Although a politician is a politician, with different views maybe some of my hope will be put out there. Maybe he has seen life from my prospective. This is why I am Pro-Youth on capital hall.

October 13, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  28. Warren Pugh

Good morning Danny,
    Forty years ago when I became an independent I was blest by, then, Senator Henry Jackson WA.. At my first teaching job in 1970 I encountered a gal who was a staunch Democrat and she regaled me for being an independent. At first I was aghast, then decided to stick to my guns. What I have learned since then is you are disliked until around election time. What a coincidence. More later. 'Gotta' go to work 'cause' the monthly stimulus package payment is due tomorrow.:):)

WASP

October 13, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  29. Danny E

Warren Pugh, you are right I need to take my time while writing. On another note, why do you think the democrats are out to rule the US? The United States is far from a dictatorship, there are a lot of had in every decision. From my point of view we need both parties; we also need more diversity in those parties as well. Honestly the republicans have had their chance, why aren’t we giving the democrats the same? Maybe things will get better; I think it is time to try new ideas. Instead we hold them down and protest, maybe it time for the people to be able to push for what we want. That's what all the senators are for right. When I say push I do not mean by using eye catching like racism to get a point across. A great platform would be Mad as hell assuming someone else sees our thoughts. I like to end with, you show me a person that is completely a party and I will show you a liar. It is impossible to be completely for democrats, republicans, or liberals. I.E. the weapons, I think we all should have the right to keep and bear arms. How do you fix the peoblem with certain individuals when they have a weapon they think they can do what they want, It’s not everyone just some. I am not sure what side I want to choose on this subject both makes common sense.

October 12, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Warren Pugh

Danny: With all respects, it is obvious that I fully read your letter or I would not have picked up on the mis spelling of the word 'poles' which should have been polls. Similarly you wrote 'perfer' while I am sure you meant (not ment) prefer.

But issues like this obscure the real ones. In oligarchys, dictatorships, monarchys despots often arise depriving the public of personal rights.
    Yes, I included democracy. Cass Susstein, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski and Mark Lloyd aim to end the existence of private radio.
    That is making people 'mad as hell' . . .an undeniable right.

As long as we stress the 'democratic' nature of American politics rather
    the ideals of a republic, which is what we ar,. we are doomed.

WASP

October 12, 2009 at 10:13 am |
  31. Warren Pugh

Bob, Remember that "Mad as hell" came from a group of people in Washington State that resented inferences from a member of the state's congressional delegation that they were 'brown shirted thugs' because they refused to fall into place in the HCB debate. You can't regress 233 years and alter the right of the people to express themselves. When that happens there will be a shortage of duct tape. 🙂
    WASP

October 12, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  32. Danny E

Lol Warren Pugh, please read the full text, I ment Polls, like 3 or 5 people perfer such and such.

October 10, 2009 at 5:00 pm |
  33. bob

What's driving the national anger? The media making people believe there's a national anger they should be a part of by running sensationalistic stories and headlines asking "What's driving the national anger?", and taking and overhyping polls asking why everyone is angry.....

October 9, 2009 at 2:13 pm |
  34. David

They want to tell us we have lived beyond our means, we arent the ones who spent 79 million putting a hole in the moon.
    the people are angry because no matter how much in taxes we pay it will never be enough. I dont think any of our political leaders are doing without vacations and a lot of other extras that the average american is doing without right now.
    If anyone thinks the federal government can run healthcare, they better look at social security and medicare because soon these programs will be gone due to the money just not being where it is supposed to be, being used for whatever they want it to go to. They have recently said they are plan to start dipping into medicare money to use for other things it was not meant to be used for and now say medicare will be gobe soon also. That is why the people are angry, we pay this money in all our working lives and then when we need it, it is gone.
    Please dont kid yourselves and think our politicians can handle the healthcare money any better, they will use it as they want to and where they want to, and none of us can say anything to them about it. If they decide to put another hole in the moon with it, they will, or whatever they like.
    and furthermore, if they want healthcare, they will vote it in, we can raise heck all we like, whine and cry about it, but in the end, if they want the money for it, they will get it, if they have to take half your families grocery money to get it, they will do it. Our say means nothing to them.
    And they wonder why we are mad???
    People in this country are losing everything and the only thing they got on their mind is putting a hole in the moon, and playing planet police with borrowed money from china, we average american's and our chidren and granchilren have to pay back.
    What we want to know uncle sam is who is going to save us when this country has no jobs or industry to support it's population.
    Where are they going to get their tax dollars then? Maybe you can put some taxes on all the countries we have bailed out during their hard times to pay back the money you borrowed from china to save them.

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  35. Warren Pugh

Those who need the medication are in D.C. and you are payng for it. I think I understand the direction from which you are coming. In the meantime we must spend our energies on change, not as a catchall
    political redundancy for which millions of Americans fell, but meaningful change that can upright the ship of state.

We are being dummed down by the American press. Look at the thousands of hours spent on weather forecasts, traffic and whats going on in the starlit celebrity world. Oh yes. Their 'medicines' are external and the more they apply the sorer our eye. 🙂 WASP

October 5, 2009 at 10:15 am |
  36. Warren Pugh

Danny E.
    I am sure you do not mean 'Poles' those folks from Poland, or those things we plant in the ground around our homes to keep animals of our neighbors from wetting and fertilizing our lawns. You mean polls.
    Tongue in cheek here. Here is a brief, but perhaps non related retort
    Lets pick something rather fresh like the following:
    1. CEOs of the Vereran's Administration received $24M in bonuses
    and other memebers were given $70,000/each. I cannot specify
    who they are and neither will CNN, FOX, MSNBC or PRAVDA.

2. The very last thing congress did on Friday was to increase its bud-
    get by $4.7B.

In both situations Americans should be howling, but just a few of us are . . . . not that it will necessarily change anything, but we must. See Bob in Florida somewhere above this comment. In three years every U.S. senator shold be replaced. PERIOD. Have a good week. WASP

October 4, 2009 at 8:24 pm |
  37. Warren Pugh

Mitch D. Look closely at the so-called Fairness Doctrine. Read it. Its not as long as HCB 3200. Then write me. WASP

October 4, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  38. Dale

Reading these comments reminds me of a college class visit I once took to Mendota State Hospital for the Insane in Wisconsin. It's bedlam time in America. Is it time for your medication or mine?

October 4, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  39. Danny E

Hello, Mad as Hell I am kind of mad at you also. People are speaking, letting you know our views, People are asking to hear about How this administration is really doing, Not the fake, heated up displaced angry that the Republicans are putting out. From what I have read on your site a lot of people are for universal health care, I have not seen that on the News, just how many people are against it. How about how many people are against this Tea parties. Sometimes I think the media is one sided, you only talk about what get ratings. How about a pole on problems during the Bush administration to what Obama's administration inherited, or who is really pushing all the propaganda is it really the republicans? Maybe have a reporter go to a place where people are not rich and interview people to see if they want universal health care. All over TV I see Poles for this, carts for that, and survey. Each one has so percentage that somehow includes me. The funny thing is I have never submitted anything to any poles, surveys or carts, so how are they accurate? I think what I am asking is for People that have a louder voice then mine to actually do some research for a change. Put out RAW facts, We are on the right path you started MAD AS HELL, the question is ARE YOU DOING TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE INFORMATION YOU ARE GETTING OFF OF MAD AS HELL! Or are people just typing for fun?????

October 3, 2009 at 2:20 am |
  40. nswfm CA

Isn't the media falling down on its job? Why is it that we have to rely on parody and satire to do the work of investigative journalists to point out the hypocrisy of the right wing? Is it necessary to cede the profession to The Daily Show, the Colbert Report and others such as the link below?

Hold both sides accountable. The country is depending on you to get the facts out there.

October 2, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  41. Warren Pugh

Bob in Florida. This would do it and remove the strangle hold of the lobbies. WASP

October 2, 2009 at 12:47 pm |
  42. Howard Steinberg

This Mad as hell movement is driven by talk radio hosts like Rush Limbaugh, and Glen Beck and the 24 hr news stations like your own, that create a rolling thunder approach to news. Some studies were conducted by media watch organizations that show that only 16% of air time by news outlets like your own was devoted to exploring the issues and the rest to covering the protests. The issues we face today are very complex, and need more than slogans, posters, and villain creations. You in the media have an obligation to explain the issues in depth, instead of the glorification for the shouting crowds. the question you have to ask yourselves is: Are you creating the news, like the Fox producer caught on tape, encouraging the Tea baggers to start yelling, or providing a public service by educating a population who reads at a 6th grade level. Currently stations like yours promote a kind of cynicism, and the outgrowth is a niche of the population with so little understanding of the issues,that all they can do is yell

October 2, 2009 at 9:23 am |
  43. Warren Pugh

Bob. Choose one. A. Impeachment
    B. Shot down
    C. Term limits.
    Sounds absurd, but in a world demeaning humanity to animals why should it make any difference? Wolves are watching the sheep so term limits and tort reform are hardly obtainable, yet, more necessary than ever in the nation's history.

WASP

October 1, 2009 at 2:55 pm |
  44. Warren Pugh

Tom,
    "And I guess you take some pride in 'identify' your ethnicity?" ???Speaking of making sense . . smile. Did you read the Ezekial Emanuel lecture from his 1996 Hastings Center speech? And today it is just a coincidence that Rahm Emanuel is on the president's staff?
    Of course you know they are brothers. A 1930s Viennese paper hanger wrote a similar dissertation and eventually followed through to the tune of torturing more than 5,000,000,000 humans mostly Jewish. And that is scarey yet terribly ironic. This time the writer is a descendant of victims of the holocaust.

This morning I woke up to:
    1. VA (rumored in June) ceo's received $24M in bonuses when they
    are supposed to be strictly salaried. Send our kids to SW Asia!
    2. Hundreds of others received $70,000 bonuses, each that is.
    3. The VA is one million cases behind. Seriously, too much partying.
    4. Two planes (this is the second time) flew the president and his wife
    to the Netherlands. The previous time was to England and France.
    ????
    5. No administration has 'declared' war in the MIddle East.
    6. The snake on the 'don't tread on me' flag has been replaced with
    a document called the U.S. Constitution.

Ethnicity? My Native American name is Quanah, and I have not said a word about us . .until provoked. Neither do I take a cent in entitlements or must I be enabled. No hand outs here.

Betrayed? Traitor? My God man, too many of our kids are returning from the Middle East crippled for life, and you worry about a man who has a $400M war chest for the next election?

Next step> If term llimits could penetrate greed that would be it.

WASP

October 1, 2009 at 2:43 pm |
  45. tomgnh

Warren
    You make no sense.
    Yes, things won't happen overnight.
    No, he is not producing.
    A speech by someone else in 1996 discredits an administration 13 years later.

And I guess you take some pride in identify your ethnicity?

Question- do you think the people you listen to are planning an impeachment or a coup? I mean, you have as much as called Obama a traitor, so would this not be your logical next step?

October 1, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  46. Bob in Florida

How about a National Campaign to NOT reelect any incumbent Congress members, regardless of party, for the next couple of elections. Further, to set term limits in the House and Senate to not exceed 12 yrs. We would wind up with a large number of inexperienced representatives who have not yet been corrupted by greed and narcissism so prevalent now. We actually may wind up with people who run for office because they genuinely want to do what's best for America. Actually, I was watching PBS the other day, when they had 4 freshman members of Congress discussing the Health Care issue. Two Repubs and two Dems, it seemed very clear to me that those four would be able to quickly come to agreement on a plan that would accomplish much of what we need. None of these people had yet been corrupted by the power of office. Hmmmm!

October 1, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  47. Warren Pugh

R in NJ
    No one will dispute that. Trust has been broken . . . no matter what. It has nothing to do with the president not being given enough time.
    He bought the presidency with over 400 million dollars so now he must produce. He knew he about and supported the war. Its resolution doesn't take place 'overnight', but when kids are dying and being crippled for life you DO NOT have even 'overnight'.

With the likes of Ezekiel Emanuel and his 1996 Hastings Center speech surrounding him the president has literally betrayed Americans. Read it yourself.

WASP

September 30, 2009 at 9:02 pm |
  48. RAY IN NJ

What amazes and frustrates me is that Pres. Obama said over-and-over that the fixes won't happen overnight. Yet, it seems that the most vociferous Americans expect everything to be resolved 'now'! And if not, then it must be Obama's fault! These problems are prolific anc complex. 'Patience' is something so many don't seem to have and instant gratification is the norm.

September 30, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  49. John Huff

There is a lot of manipulation going on right now. From stirring up people to demonstrate to the lobbying of congress by powerful interests. With health care providers making so much money, a political party wanting back in power, and a few controlling all of our wealth we shouldn't expect much more.

September 30, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  50. Hubert Bertrand Oberlin La.

SORRY: America have gone down too far,to pick her back up.Congress have sold us out. The day we sent the first FACTORY overseas, and no one stood up and stopped the change,ANY one knows that if we don't have enough jobs,how are we going to buy the item we need. We are now not buying things we don't need.We gave up (KEEPING UP WITH THE JONES) Now bankrupt is not a bad word any more. Soon homeless will be ok, Look at Nashville's TENT city.Now tell me we are not going down hill.BY AMERICA hello japan.

September 30, 2009 at 11:01 am |
  51. Warren Pugh

Make a list of perks, pork and CEO's who are given millions in the face of failure and you get a sense of why people are mad as hell. Because of the internet we can respond almost immediately to any event of action of government. That Obama has designs on the internet and private radio is no secret and people are mad as hell about that too.

Gotta go back to bed.

September 30, 2009 at 7:42 am |
  52. Warren Pugh

One person in a school district objects to expressions on school posters and these good students are denied that right with the alibi
    'separation of church and state'. Separation of church and state really suggests the government mind its own business and these kids be afforded the right of expression and free speech. Now explain this to these kids and wonder why they do not understand and are seemingly so ignorant. Thats another reason people are mad as hell. After Columbine counselors and ministers were brought into school to bring some peace to the heart broken students. ??

September 30, 2009 at 7:36 am |
  53. bb

I think some of this may be wasted energy. Of course, speak your mind, but here are a few challenges. Take that anger and talk to someone: with no health coverage for their family,talk to someone who can't afford the necessary tests to find out why they are losing weight or why there is blood in their stool,talk to someone who has to decide between shelter/food/child support vs medication,go to a local food or clothing bank and ask community members what they think about healthcare in their lives...Let's get mad if another 4 years pass without the option for affordable healthcare. Hopefully, this does not mean taking away the wonderful health insurance plans that are present. Yet, give people who desire an option and not a necessity only after starvation,heart attack,stroke,cancer,etc. Let's channel anger appropriately.

September 30, 2009 at 6:55 am |
  54. tomgnh

They are not being ignored; they have ignored.

The President has offered chances for Republicans to be in his administration, but Gregg said no.

The Health Plan negotiation in Congress had been bipartisan, but Republicans said No Way.

An offer of bipartisanship has been slapped down, and now the President is being prtrayed as not being bipartisan?

Please.

September 29, 2009 at 11:15 am |
  55. Rebecca

What is fueling the divide is an unwillingness for the current governement to listen to and consider the opinions of those that do not agree with their plans. Obama and the democrats did not get elected by 100% of the people and they are supposed to represent 100% of the people, so why are they ignoring those that do not agree with them?

September 29, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  56. morrisgp

Honestly, how could any intelligent person be happy with our politicians? I am mad as hell and why shouldn't I be? Our current leaders in Washington are corrupt as ever. Oh, and by the way, I am pointing the fingers at Republicans and Democrats. We have had the same "Royal Families" leading our country for way to long. It is time for a clean sweep of Washington as a whole. Now that would be a change I could believe in. Why should they be above the laws that we the people must adhere to day in and day out?

September 28, 2009 at 5:12 pm |
  57. Paul Horan

I am mad as hell for sure, but at the old white man party (Republican) for maintaining intolerant views with no room for other points of view. Time to proclaim the Republican party the party of the 17th century and initiate a new right of center party with reasonable people who have strong ethics and understanding that others may have a legitimate viewpoint even though different from mine.

September 28, 2009 at 4:12 pm |
  58. Daniel

It seems to me that one of the things that we are Mad as Hell (and disgusted is probably more accurate) about is the fact that we ARE so divided as a country. I was just perusing Lutze's book review and the comments posted and the one thing that stuck was the fact that we are mad at the republicans and we are mad at the democrats about as equally. And, there is no resolution because we are so evenly split. We try government the democrat way and half the population is angry. We try government the Republican way and the other half is angry. Our leaders flip flop based on who is the majority in their districts to stay in power not for the people, but for themselves. Honestly, I think the Democrats and the Republicans are both right in their views. And I think they are both wrong too. I think Republicans are pompus old snobs who feel that commerce and industry is the most important issue and I think that Democrats are pompus new snobs who think social welfare and brother's keeper mentality is most important. And, what frustrates us is there is no other option. That is what we are REALLY so very mad about, our anger as a country for no options and our anger at our fellow countryman as an expression of that frustration. I don't have the answer but the solution is not in anger.

September 28, 2009 at 3:16 pm |
  59. jean

I'm mad as hell that people weren't mad as hell for the last eight years. So many soldiers dying for nothing,all the lies that were told to the American people,our Constitution ripped to shreds,the list goes on. I'm not saying Obama has all the answers,all I'm saying is please people give him a chance! It is hard for me to believe that 80% of people are happy with their health care. Where are all these great insurance companies? Over the years,I haven't found any that wasn't about the almighty dollar. I'm not allowed to have another blood test to check my cholesterol because I've used up my $500 in lab costs that my insurance company says I can have in one year. Think about all the limits your insurance companies sets on you,while the whole taking your money every month! All the media reports on is the crazy people out there.It's time people who believe that health care reform needs to happen begin to get just as crazy and loud. That's the only way to be heard,it seems.

September 28, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  60. Ken, Lynchburg, Va.

The disgusting displays of racism and threat of violence on 9/12 is a disgrace to the country! Many of the screamers are most certainly enjoying their “Socialism” of Social Security and MEDICARE but willingly deny health care to other Americans who have none! What kind of person would deny health care to another human being, a child, a woman with cancer, or even the routine examinations and vaccinations to prevent disease? What kind of person and rest of the Fox News, Health Insurance lobbyists motivated demonstrators on 9/12, Tea Baggers, Town Meeting Screamers, desire to de-legitimize President Obama, for whose benefit? Where is the concern or compassion for the approximately 36 Million Americans living at or below the poverty level, the near 50 Million without health insurance, the 28 Million on Food Stamps or the 1 Million Americans who were financially ruined by illness or medical bills last year. A comfortable middle-class lifestyle? Good education? Decent job? No safeguards there. Most of the medically bankrupt were middle-class homeowners with responsible jobs, - until illness struck! As an aside, “For Profit” Health Insurance is counterintuitive and an oxymoron.

September 28, 2009 at 8:31 am |
  61. Hilroy

America is mad as hell or should that be, white America is mad as hell? Some of us know the answer for that.

The Iraq war? Failing to send the right amount of troops to Afghanistan,? George Bush remember him???? Not President Obama. Get real for once.

September 28, 2009 at 7:49 am |
  62. Linda

I do watch the morning news shows, skipping around, in the morning while getting ready for work. My sense is that the Mad as Hell has a bit to do with the fact that ever since 24/7 'news' channels, that the lunatic fringe on both sides get most of the interviews and coverage. This unbalanced representation of what citizens think, perpetuates both sides' very limited supporters. I don't mean to criticize, because I really do look foward to watching the news when I wake up, but after about 15 minutes, there is no real news.....I REALLY WISH you would get more moderates on to interview. I enjoyed the conservative guy this morning who actually said President Obama was doing a good job...what a concept! I am not saying you bring every rose colored glasses person....but please bring more interviews and perspectives from the many, many people who are in the middle on most issues.

September 24, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  63. Danny E

I do not see how some of you justify these Tea Party racists, the spokes person for the Tea Party said on CNN that racism has been in this country along time and that is not going to change. Wow that makes it alright?????! These people are wrong. Here in the United States in large groups we do not care about how racism hurts people and these groups don’t mind spreading propaganda. It would only be a big deal if were fighting dog, then someone will try to fix it. All the service members out their fighting, for your rights, then you spit in their faces with racism. People need to think about what they say. To think these racist people are teaching this to our children, showing them that "HATE" is ok. Not telling our youth to work together to fix problems. These Tea Party people are no better than the terrorist we are fighting off, that what terrorist do spread terror. My point is Racism is wrong in any shape or form; people need to be held accountable for their ACTIONS!

September 24, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  64. Danny E

I do not see how some of you justify these Tea Party racists, the spokes person for the Tea Party said on CNN that "racism has been in this country along time and that is not going to change." Wow that makes it alright?????! These people are wrong. Hear in the united states we do not care about how it, racism hurts people that don’t receive the huge pay rolls, don’t have to work, so they stand on the Conner spitting resist propaganda, or the fact that we are suppose to learn from history. No it’s only a big deal if we there if they are fighting dog right? Then someone will try to fix it. All the service members out their fighting, NO DIEING for your rights, then you spit in their faces with racism. No problem it’s cool, because there are no animals involved. To think these racist people are teaching this to their children, "HATE", Not let’s work together to fix problems. These Tea Party people are no better than the terrorist we are fighting off. It would not surprise me is the Republicans start the TEA PARTIES, Look at their history, and how a lot of them got votes way back in the past. I wonder is those ignore people still play a role today, Check it out on the History Channel. My point is Racism is wrong in any shape or form; people need to be held accountable for their ACTIONS!

September 24, 2009 at 1:24 pm |
  65. John

These rowdy people at those tea parties are focusing their anger in the wrong direction. When the spending was high and out of control in the wrong country (Iraq) during the Bush years no one said a word, now the result of it is what we have now huge deficit and healthcare reform which the Republicans had the chance to do something about but never expressed an interest in and still don't care, but trying to save face by spreading fear and lies with non- progressive tea parties. The majority of Republicans know they are the cause of this mess in this country by trying to focus and point their failures on this President!! I commend those Republicans who are not being defined by their associates hate messages by focusing on what is right infused with common sense.

September 24, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  66. Godfrey Leggett

Just a quick response to Isabel. Your comment "The human species was never intended to eat meat in the first place. " is quite unbelieveable. No wonder that Jay Leno has no problem finding people to use on his 'Jay Walking' segments. So many ignorant, uneducated folks out there 'without a clue'. We may well eat too much meat in this country, especially red meat (I do however enjoy a nice juicy steak) but, to say we were never intended to eat meat (by the way, was it the sky god of the isrealities that did not intend for us to eat meat) is not only wrong but laughable. In all probability, the eating or red meat is one of the enviornmental events that caused the human race to break away from our primate relatives (the simians, the monkeys , and the apes).

September 24, 2009 at 9:33 am |
  67. Godfrey Leggett

Regarding the second ammendment, simplyread the last line 'The right of the citizens to keepand bear arms shall not be infringed". If you think this means something other than what it says, read some of the writings of the founding fathers. There is quite a bit of their writings online, these were good, thoughtful, educated men. After you read what they thuoght, go back and read the second amendment again. We do not have a 'gun control' problem in this country. We have a 'people control' problem in this country. In part the lack of respect for the law which is at the heart of our peope problem is laws that intrude un-necessisarly into our lives. These laws are not repected by our citizens and they foster criminal activity. I am mostly here talking about the drug war. Did we learn nothing from prohibition? What right do we have, individually or as a nation to tell our citizens they cannot get high, smoke marijuanna, crack, heroin. The jails and prisons are full of non-violent prisoners whose only crime was using or selling drugs. We should stop destroying seized drugs for a few months then begin releasing all drug war prisoners. We should set up distribution centers in almost every town and city to distribute, free of charge to all the local drug users what they need. This would destroy the distribution networks and the drug dealers. Oh we should also pass alcohal and drug freedom laws to make drugs and alcohal legal products, no taxes, no fees, no tariffs. Sale legal 24hours a day, seven days a week, nationwide, no restrictions on where it can be sold, a legal product just like milk, and eggs, nintendo games and shoes. LET FREEDOM RING. We could then keep all the dangerous folk who use weapons to terrorize folks and hurt people in jail for their full sentance, no parole. Especially the rapists and child molestors put them in jail and leave them there for 20years plus, no more Phillip Garridos. Godfrey Leggett

September 24, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  68. Godfrey Leggett

I think in large part the polarization in this country between the right and the left is an outgrowth of the takeover of the republican party by the religious right. Since religious folks are informed (as far as I am concerned uninformed) by their religious beliefs, they respond fo any keywords faith, abortion, gay anyting, sex, evolution, and other words in a 'knee jerk' fashion. They have little or no tolerance for anyone or any other ideas that may conflict, even if in a small way, with their belief system. Since they do not apply critical thinking (I wonder if some of them think at all) they never actrually consider that they might be wrong. The Patriot Act, which I think is a travesty against out constitutional rights and should be repealled immediatly, is a good example of their thought processes. Since they begin with the idea that because their God belief is always right and cannot be challenged, then anything they decide to do MUST BE RIGHT! A simple case of 'the ends justify the means'. They should re-readthe constitution, the declaration of independance, the bill of rights, and the works of the founding fathers. They really need an education.

September 24, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  69. Kristi

I think that talk radio is the main source of this divide in America! The hosts I have heard, say very hateful things and try to create fear among average citizens! We are all Americans and need to come together and take a look at what will help our country be a better society to all! What baffles me is this outrage over medical care for people who can't afford it when not a peep was said about the bailout of banks who basically set up a scheme where they walked away with billions!!

September 24, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  70. Dean Foell

This is a comment from Dave

"I criticized and my comment was blocked for 40 minutes now it’s finally there in the blind middle of the body. There were many comments from the left wing perspective after mine that went up before mine. CNN seems more like they claim Fox News is every day."

The problem is is is all about me- me- me. As you can see by what Dave wrote.

September 24, 2009 at 7:02 am |
  71. Dorothy Kincaid

The surprising thing is 'Mad as Hell' is overflowing, but will deny the truth even when it hits you smack in the face. It is Racism is an issue – it is disguised and supported, but it will never be dealth with. Long ago a member of President Clinton's cabinet told the truth 'Jim Crow became James Crow, Esq' and no one listened.

Whites fondle their guns and rebel flags; many are still fighting the civil war; many go around the country and ask very powerful white men 'is President Carter telling the truth'? and when they say what you want to hear – then and only then do you challenge (quite loudly) President Carter's statement. Bill Cosby (chosen Black man when he says what you want to hear) said the same thing – why didn't CNN would not (or did they) cover it. When he talks about how bad our children are – he is everywhere – all over CNN.

Racism exists; in gun toting white people who talk in politically correct tones, but often their buzz words are thrown out, but you cover it up and say they are 'Mad As Hell'. Well I've been mad as hell since Ronald Reagan went to Philadelphia, MS and started the revolution of undoing everything we fought for in the 1960s. Well 'Mad as Hell' whites are the only people who count – I suppose.

September 24, 2009 at 2:03 am |
  72. sjw

Please don't use the terms "socialism" and "communism" interchangeably. They are not mutually exclusive. You are just showing your ignorance.

September 23, 2009 at 9:00 pm |
  73. Pip

Bridge the gap, you ask? How can that be done with all the effervescent lies that are spewed forth by our current administration.

Continually pushing an obviously bad bill like HR3200, while the whole time telling us that this pile doesn't stink.

Attempting to vilify the People because they do not agree.

Cutting off honest debate, then saying they tried to negotiate with the opposition.

Not allowing time to read a bill before it is voted on.

They appear to be lyres and miscreants, one and all.

September 23, 2009 at 7:36 pm |
  74. Jason

To Kevin Fewell and others like him: Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it extremist. It seems that civility has been lost in this world. I want:

Smaller, less invasive government.
    A simplified and evenly implemented tax code.

The fact that Obama's policies are the opposites of this make me a racist with those unwilling or unable to see an opposing point of view to a lot of people unfortunately. It is ridiculous the crap that is going on with regards to not being able to criticize Obama without being called a racist.

TARP didn't help loosen credit or keep GM and Chrysler from going bankrupt. Obama and other misguided soles like him, such as the former President that I did not like, supported it. Obama added two trillion more the deficit this year with scare tactics and that 2 trillion is going to hurt in the long run a lot more than letting the economy run its course, you can be sure of that. You were sold a bill of goods that didn't change the outcome of the recession anymore than would have happened in a natural economic cycle. It would be bottoming out without the government printing money.

September 23, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  75. NSOMFF

A quick example of how capitalism is now exercised, and accepted, in this country:

My wife and I come upon a serious automobile accident in the desert on our way to Las Vegas. The car has rolled several times, the driver is in deep shock, and his wife is bleeding profusely from the neck. No one else is present to lend assistance, assuming they would risk the potential for litigation in spite of Good Samaritan laws .

I vaguely recognize the driver as a former CEO of an investment firm that has “earned” nearly a billion dollars in his 9-year tenure at the firm – before it went down in flames. An almost unbelievable business opportunity staring me in the kisser.

I tell the man that I have First Aid training, a medical kit in my car, and a cell phone. Then I propose a solution to his problem. For $260 million, my wife and I will call the MediVac helicopter, stop his wife’s bleeding before she expires, and stay with them until the helicopter arrives. It’s up to him – he’s in a very bad spot, and this is an opportunity for me and my wife to stick it to someone that has few or no other options. Free market enterprise – he doesn’t have to accept the terms.

If you are a disciple of unregulated capitalism, and haven't been paying attention the past couple of decades, I'd do the same to you.

September 23, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  76. mav

Moral authority? God. Yes, folks, the "G" word, and I'm not sorry if I offend anyone. This PC society has somehow given rights to everyone and anyone, unless we are talking about God. More specifically, Jesus.
    I'm not talking Bible thumping pseudo Christians who want to tell you how to live your life, but fail miserably in their own. I'm talking about Christians with an actual intimate relationship with the Holy Trinity. People who don't try to persuade you what is wrong in your life, but love you in Christ. People who get out and help someone in need, right in front of their faces, not the ones who talk about how someone should "do something about that". People who tithe and give...willingly, not just to get something in return, but to gloify the fact that God is awesome. And politicians who are not afraid to do the politically incorrect thing when it's the right thing to do.
    It's all in the Bible. Everything. All of it. Right down to how to act with regard to seating in a public forum, selfishness and unrighteous taxation.
    Man's moral authority will ALWAYS fail. I perfer to be on the winning team.

September 23, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  77. Matt C

It appears there are two matts, Ill be matt c from now on the one posting about our second amendment rights. I dont want to be confused with anyone else, It looks like we have different views. Not saying the other matts are completely bad ( see republicans can be civil) Also well put Jim Melo!

September 23, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  78. Mic

Ingrown, incest, ingrate, inaccurate, insipid, ignorant, inept, and the list goes on: How to Change? For one thing: TERM LIMITS FOR THE HOUSE AND SENATE. NO MORE "STAY THERE FOREVER". The House and Senate have to have the same health care choices that we do and they SHOULD NOT GET COVERAGE FOR LIFE and ACCESS TO INSIDER TRADING INFORMATION that allows them to make deals on their stock portfolios while average Americans take the hit and LOOSE LIFE SAVINGS. [Yes, I know that is legal for them to do and no LAWS were broken because they don't come under the laws that they make.] MISTAKE!!! They have way too much power and too little accountability. TERM LIMITS NOW (TLN) for the members of the House and Senate. We can change the laws in each state to make that happen. This is a government by the people (which we seem to have forgotten). If you can't be civil and make decisions then GET OUT and let some decision-makers in who can. TLN!

September 23, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  79. Maggi

Less Government Equals More Freedom
    Less government means the pot-smoking atheist can life his life and the go-to-church-4-times-a-week, home schooling mother can live her's. We need to get the federal government out of education, out of health care, out of private industry, enforce fiscal responsibility and look for free market solutions before we look for government hand outs.
    LIMITED GOVERNMENT FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY FREE MARKET SOLUTIONS

September 23, 2009 at 5:05 pm |
  80. Matt

The solution is to get rid of this two-party political system we have today. Either have no parties, or many parties. Either one would force politicians to work together to get something done. Now we have only division- us vs. them. And that just weakens the country overall.

September 23, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  81. DB

Saying "get rid of the politicians" is like saying we should all just give up and die. We live in a "society", which requires that we learn to get along. We have a "democracy" to choose our leaders and we administer our government as a "republic", in that our elected leaders get to represent us. It 's not perfect, but it beats tyranny and anarchy.

Can we all get along? Well, it takes two to tango, and one of the dancers has been refusing to move since they lost the last election. They'd just as soon frustrate the process so much that the voters would want to evict everyone, because they are in the minority now.

At some point, the American people wake up to what is happening and demand performance, or we will continue to stumble along as we become less important, less powerful and less relevant.

September 23, 2009 at 4:44 pm |
  82. Jim melo

GUN CONTROL...Im extremely sick of people asking "why do those people need guns"...Hey goofball...This is a free country, I dont have to explain to anyone why I "Need" something. It is the governments responsibility to explain why they think they have the right to take something away from us, not the other way around. And for information, more people are killed in winter sports and vehicle accidents driving to , and from the winter sports, than from guns...Should we ask "why do they need to snow board". I just retired from 30 years of law enforcement with a large police department. Ill tell you first hand, if you think you can call the police and be protected when someone kicks in your front door, you are wrong. If you dont want to own a weapon and protect your family, then dont..But dont ever ask me "why do you need a gun"

September 23, 2009 at 4:09 pm |
  83. Matt

Its us toothless hillbilies with all our guns since the birth of our nation that have fought for our country and gave you the right to post a blog and speek your mind Tom. If your in favor of splitting our nation in two I think people like you should just get out.

September 23, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  84. Ken H.

We cannot bridge any kind of divide as long as you have racist liberals and a racist president.

September 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm |
  85. JJ

What is this about declaring 9/25 a national muslem day of prayer to Allah? We are a christian nation and I don't pray to Allah. I pray to God in heaven. It appears we have elected a Devout Muslum who would not have our National day of prayer, but 50,000 Muslums can have their day for Allah, YES, on the White House grounds. I voted for Obama and now rue the day that I did. Wake up America! Read your Bibles. Prophesy is being fulfilled . We are living in the end of time. HOW long will it be before our legal tender will say "In Allah we trust"???

September 23, 2009 at 3:33 pm |
  86. LaVonne

Humility or humbleness is a quality of being courteously respectful to others. Humility is the quality that lets us go more than halfway to meet the needs and demands of others. A demeanor of humility is exactly what is needed to live in peace and harmony with all persons. Humility distinguishes the wise leader from the arrogant power-seeker. Rather than think "me first", humility will allow us to say "No, you first, my friend."

September 23, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  87. RR Florida

EVERONE I TALK TO IS SORRY THEY VOTED FOR OBAMA!!!
    Working in a business, I meet a lot of different people a day....and
    the topic of discussion is how things are going in the government/
    and die-hard Obama supporters are talking about how sorry they are
    now!!
    Even people who say...they like Obama and feel he is sincere, but
    he is in the wrong position, fighting for the wrong things...
    Besises being MAD, We are all SAD about what is going on in this country
    The GOOD NEWS, we needed to get all these cockroaches out in the open and boy have we done that....NOW LET'S CLEAN UP!!!

September 23, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  88. RR Florida

A man was voted in as president, who has no knowledge of how to run the government.
    People think they are getting something free because he held out a
    few carrots....WRONG!!!
    The people who voted Obama in the White House...DID NOT LISTEN
    TO WHAT HE WAS ACTUALLY SAYING!

WE need an EXPERIENCED person in the WHITE HOUSE.

WE NEED NEW BLOOD!! BUT SOMEONE WHO IS EXPERIENCED WITH RUNNING AT LEAST A STATE!

September 23, 2009 at 2:49 pm |
  89. Christine Higgins of Mt. Carmel, ILL

WALL STREET is still operating without any arrests, yet Obama interferred with the auto industry with his demands for who should run what company and why. I am MAD AS HELL that there were no arrests on Wall Street and those companies that brought America to her knees are STILL operating – why is there no transparency here? I am SICK to DEATH of hearing about 'certain people' are still making money on WALL ST. Yet how many citizens have LOST ALL THEIR MONEY thanks to a few greedy people who are still in business.
    NOT FAIR! WE SHOULD START A 'REAL' REVOLUTION and run them ALL out of Washington and take it over ourselves!!!!

September 23, 2009 at 2:30 pm |
  90. deb

Jean Louis: what color is the sky in your little fantasy world?

September 23, 2009 at 2:22 pm |
  91. deb

Here's the problem: Democrats, especially the hard left, were completely thrown off their game when the opposition to Obama's policies became so ardent. Pelosi and her minions thought they would have a romp through the wildflowers passing leftist legislation with great abandon. When they realized that their plan would be waylaid by the opposition, hardcore Dems became enraged and turned ugly. They let loose with unspeakably vile vitriol and unfounded charges that in turn outraged the center and right who represent the majority of Americans. The Dem have no one to blame but themselves.

September 23, 2009 at 2:20 pm |
  92. James

Yes I would LOVE to see term limits put in, these lifetime congressmen are way too entrenched in the system to act on behalf of the majority of this country, which is centrist. Both parties alienate people in the middle and vilify them as not supporting their party and basically not being extreme enough.

September 23, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  93. Orlando Arkadie

You wont be able to bridge this gap until the agressor is humbled....and in this contesdt the agressor is the GOP party. until they realize that thier agenda driven rhetoric is falling on aware ears, and that people cant be hearded by fear of the unknown any longer, then they will begin to "negotiate in good faith" but as long as they beleive they have a chance and promoting thier agenda they wont meet anyone 1/2 way.

If America wants it's system of government to function correctly to get the "hard things done" in our country..Immigration, economy, climate change and our future stability in bio fuels and energy as a whole we must quiet the bully.
    He who spares the rod spoils the child....In this case the child is the GOP party, the Rod is our vote being revoked to those who sow dissention and mistrust.
    Dems are not alone in this debate too, but right now were moving forward, and it's GOP static that is causing grief....I say this again had we listened to the GOP earlier in 2002-2006 everyone would have put thier retirement into the stock market....into a system they knew was going to bust? think about that for a sec..

September 23, 2009 at 1:44 pm |
  94. Adam

We are mad as hell because there is quite a bit to be mad about.

The government is completely and utterly out of control.

The media is merely entertainment with an obvious bias.

We are still fighting two wars.

Gitmo is still in limbo.

9.7+% unemployment AND RISING.

The Patriot Act.

Healthcare insurance being mandatory for 55 million people who supposedly couldn't afford health insurance before...they are not the FED...they cannot simply print money when they have none.

The looming specter of massive inflation.

THE BAILOUT BILLS and their misappropriated monies.

September 23, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  95. Jack

Perhaps their is major conflict over the proposed health care reform bill because their are so many contradictions and aspects which do not make sense. The Wall Street Journal did a review of President's Obama's speech before the Joint Session of Congress on Sept. 9th which is available to the general public. Simply Google "WSJ Medicare for Dummies" to find this article.

I wonder how many of the readers of this will consider it unreasonable to read a critique of the President's speech?

September 23, 2009 at 1:19 pm |
  96. Disgusted with the Govt

Mitch Dworkin – Dallas, Texas - Are you seriously blaming all the ills of our country on Rush Limbaugh??? Boy you are certainly giving him a lot of power and credit. What the majority is sick of is the entire group of legislators and administration cronies who have gone nuts with power and spending – on both sides of the aisle. And everything has to be such a huge emergency that noone needs to read it - "just trust us"? Are you kidding???? One of the big pushes from Obama the candidate is how every bill would be posted on the internet for all to read.....even the legislators aren't reading the bills...give me a break....just another power-hungry politician who lies to get his own agenda crammed through.

The Fairness Doctrine is a joke – since all the media is already in the tank for the dems. So what do you want changed to make it "fair" exactly - more sucking up to the administration???? You've got to be kidding. Go live in fairy land.

September 23, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  97. Tom

I am in favor of splitting this country in two and then the two sides can do whatever they want. Right wingers can have TX, AK, OK, AR, LA, MS, TN, KY, AL, GA, SC, NC, WV all of VA except northern.....ya know, where all the communists live, ...and maybe a few out west...ID, WY, MT. That's enough space for all the right wing nuts. Then everybody else has what's left. So this way all the repubs can have only straight white church going people shooting each other with all their guns and then have no healthcare....and no dentists to tend to all their missing teeth. They can have teachers that teach them creationism, but none to learn 'em any of that there english. They can isolate themselves and blow off the rest of the world....they can take themselves back to the wild wild west, which is what it looks like that they want to do. Need some healthcare?? Take a shot of whiskey and bite down on this rag!!

September 23, 2009 at 1:12 pm |