American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
September 30th, 2009

Public option dead?

There's been a major blow to the public option in the make or break push for health care reform.

Some Democrats on the Senate Finance Committee have joined Republicans – voting to keep a government-run plan out of their bill. Read more

So is the plan dead in the water? Will the president let it die? CNN's Jim Acosta reports.

Filed under: Politics
  1. Dirk Peddler

DUH! Even our president doesn't think this important anymore. He went from whining about not being able to go to Copenhagen because healtcare reform was his number 1 issue to, dropping it and going on his vacation to Copenhage, courtesy of his bosses, the tax payers.

October 1, 2009 at 7:18 am |
  2. 62yearoldbusinessman

I hope health care is not dead, if so a lot of Americans will continue to die because they can not get the care they need.

September 30, 2009 at 6:51 pm |
  3. John Paul

Honestly, I am beginning to get sick of all the politicking in the country. Did we do so much politicking before going to war? For heaven's sake give the guy (President Obama) a chance. He will not pull the rug under your feet nor will he make the sky fall on your heads.

September 30, 2009 at 4:38 pm |
  4. Tom

The real problem goes way past the insurance companies folks ! Without first putting cost containment in place, no government run insurance program is going to be successful. I'm trusting these Senators want to tackle the problem first, before spending billions of dollars on a broken system.

September 30, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  5. Bert Foxwell

Max is just a puppet for the insurance companies, his staff includes former insurance company executives, what else would you expect from him. This man cares more about his campaign cash more than American lives!

September 30, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  6. jay m

Now I see that my Senators don't work for me, they work for the Insurance Companies.

September 30, 2009 at 12:19 pm |
  7. Barbara Cluff

Proponents of the public option tout medicare as as icon. If it is so great why do the airwaves carry so many commercials that tell one to hire a particular law firm if he/she has been turned down by medicare?

I have seen no stats that show exactly how medicare is doing. I can't even figure out whether medicare is private or government run; maybe it is a hybrid like the postal service.

September 30, 2009 at 11:10 am |
  8. Jerilyn Lessley

We need reform that helps us. The insurance companies only need the help of senators like Max to continue their rapacious ways. I've voted for Max since he first ran. He will no longer get my vote and I know a bunch of people who feel the same way. This is a state where Democrats have to fight tooth and nail to elect candidates. I tell people that while I'd like them to vote my way the best thing for them to do is to look at as many information sources as they can. Don't rely on just a few. Ihope Max hasn't cost us a senate seat. Bye Max!

September 30, 2009 at 10:54 am |