American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
October 2nd, 2009

Letterman reveals affairs with staff, extortion attempt

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/10/02/art.david.letterman.cbs.art.jpg caption="David Letterman on Thursday revealed an extortion attempt based on his sexual relations with staff members."]

NEW YORK (CNN) - "Late Show" host David Letterman acknowledged on his show Thursday night that he'd had sexual relations with members of his staff and that he revealed those liaisons during grand jury testimony for a case involving an attempted extortion.

"I have a little story that I'd like to tell you," Letterman said as he launched into his revelation.

"This morning, I did something I've never done in my life," Letterman told his audience. "I had to go downtown to testify before the grand jury" and "tell them all of the creepy things that I've done."

The 62-year-old funnyman said he received a package three weeks ago from a person who claimed to have information about Letterman's sexual dalliances, ultimately demanding $2 million to prevent public revelation.

Letterman said he went to the Manhattan District Attorney's office, which conducted an investigation and an arrest was made earlier in the day.

Read the rest of this entry »

Filed under: American Morning
  1. George

Look, I agree that this gets too much coverage but so does all this garbage about celebraties. To those of you who give him a pass, I say why is it OK for this creep to have these affairs with interns and aides while he has a wife and child at home? Believe me, from what I know about this guy he was doing this for years and still is. He is a sexist pig, his show stinks, and he ain't funny. I hope this willl eventuallly sink him and his inflated ego.

October 5, 2009 at 1:35 pm |
  2. Kelly Chang

Have to agree, total tabloid stuff, and CNN had so far spend more then a fair amount of time on it. Sad when our troops are dying all over the world and all they get is a fast scrolling notice in the bottom banner of the screen, but time and money wasted by our president, a old guy screwing his staff are made into headline news.

October 5, 2009 at 8:24 am |
  3. Cody

The Letterman sex story is way over reported...this is not
    news, its a tabloid bit. I really don't want to hear about
    sex stories from anyone unless is is a politician and it
    affects our national intersts in some way, but they too are
    way over reported...only real news please.

October 5, 2009 at 7:52 am |
  4. yipyap

I don't think that what Dave did was so bad. He was a powerful, well-known guy using what he had to get some sex. The women in return slept with him so they could say they slept with David Letterman. Sounds like they both got what they wanted.

The only thing is, I suspect that the women he slept with were considerably younger than he. I'd imagine people that work for him tend to be on the young side. So if that's the case, that aspect is a bit creepy....

October 3, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  5. jay m

Looks like a Blackmailer is out two million bucks.

October 2, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Shela Florida

So Letterman had sex with the girls in the office. Unless he promised something in return, like a better job or money, so what! I'm talking 30 years here. You can't tell me it's unusual. What's unusual is that some male producer is trying to blackmail him! Where are the women! Let them speak up!

October 2, 2009 at 3:56 pm |
  7. ANNIE

OHHH POOR ME!!!! THIS GUY IS A SLIMEBALL...AND MAKING A JOKE OUT OF IT...WAS PATHETIC...I BET HIS WIFE AND KID WERE NOT LAUGHING.....I HOPE HE LOSES EVERYTHING...AND THE BLACKMAIL...WHO CARES...HE DESERVES IT..I FEEL SORRY FOR THE GIRLS...I HOPE THEY GET HIM ARRESTED....I'M FOR THE GIRLS....PLUS UGGGG...WHO WOULD EVER MESS WITH HIM...UGGGGGGG WHERE WERE THE SIHN GUYS ON THUR. SHOW???? LIKE "THIS IS SERIOUS, NOT A LAUGHING MATTER"?????NOONE STOPPED THEM FROM LAUGHING...HOW SAD...FOR HIM TO MAKE A JOKE OUT OF SEXUAL MESSES IN HIS LIFE.....CAN ANYONE SAY CLINTON??????

October 2, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  8. Jacob

Sorry to all but i say go get em Mr Letterman. The door swings both was here. Have the women he had sex with come forward saying he promised a promotion If I had sex with him? No. These women knew what they were doing. as did Mr Letterman. Could this just be two adults just having sex for the fun of it? So what I say. 2 Thumbs up Mr Letterman.

And to Mr Ahearn "but using your position to sexually exploit subordinates justifies termination in most industries". Who has said the he used his position? Problem in our country is people assume they know what happens before all the details are made public.

October 2, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  9. George Ahearn

What a creep! To say that his revelation will be particularly embarassing for the women involved shows you what a sexist he is. Most of us know this from his Sarah Palin jokes, but using your position to sexually exploit subordinates justifies termination in most industries. Knowing CBS and their double standards (ratings vs. ethics) nothing will happen to this hypocrite. If Johnny Carson hadn,t befriended this guy he'd be a DJ in Indiana today.

October 2, 2009 at 8:16 am |