American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
October 6th, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 10/06/2009

Editor's Note: The White House’s discussions on Afghanistan disturbed Tuesday’s American Morning audience, as the majority supported pulling out troops immediately. Others suggested a “troop surge” to complete the mission and then leave. A third contingent wondered what the ramifications of a withdrawal now would mean to the U.S. and to Afghanistan.

• Bob: Regarding Afghanistan: get out now! If Americans knew in advance what Iraq would be like after spending hundreds of billions of dollars, thousands of America lives and a million Iraqi lives, would they have been so enthusiastic about going to war? The high numbers against more troops to Afghanistan reflect a lesson learned by the America people. Obama should listen to them.
  • Elaine: In answer to your question of whether the US should send more troops to Afghanistan, no! The policy of honoring the dead with more dead is ludicrous and blasphemy. Afghanistan is an un-winnable war due to the topography and tribal beliefs. Predator drones kill mostly innocent citizens make them into USA haters. Not very smart but good for those defense contractors.
  • P.M.: Please: have one heck of a surge, get things in control in Afghanistan. Our boys are dying over there! Stop dragging your feet ... Just do it! […].
  • Jason: I would like to know what the outcome of us pulling out of Afghanistan today might be. Good or Bad? thank you.

What do you want the Obama administration to do regarding the war in Afghanistan? Is there one solution, or should there be many?

Filed under: We Listen
  1. Bob

An adjunct solution to the problems in afghanistan: Train all Afghan women to be proficient in the use of the RPG and the AK-47; ensure every Afghan woman has one or the other and plenty of ammo. Return all NATO/US troops to a base near Kabul; wait one year to see what happens.

October 7, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  2. FWarrior

I believe President Obama is doing a great job in office as our Commander in Chief. He has inherited a lot of unfinished business from the Bush Administration left; and President Obama is handling it all very well.

President Obama . . . . . I support you 110%; and I know that you prevail.

October 7, 2009 at 3:29 pm |
  3. ronvan

The more things change the more they remain the same! Viet Nam / Iraq & Afganistan-SAME!! We NEVER learn. Now we have left our country with only 2 options, get out or stay. Why is it that WE have to stay? Where are all those other countries that were helping? And "nation building"?, where did this come from? If WE, the U.S. stay and do the "nation building" what do we get out of it, & will the countries that LEFT us be able to come back in to make money? If we send in more troops and KNOW that the enemy is in Pakistan or any other nearby country, can we get their permission to cross their borders to destroy the enemy? If not then what actions do we take against them for "protecting" the enemy? Many, Many more questions to list & debate. IF the decision is made to stay, then lets put an end to this mess. Send in ALL our military, give them the "green light" to KILL & DESTROY the enemy, no matter where they run and then let our brave & magnificent military take a well deserved break!!

October 7, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  4. Sabrina

I have been in a situation where my boss had asked me to put off having surgery on my foot(Back in 1998). I was later informed that after having surgery that he was not going to pay me for the 3 weeks I had to take off.
    I had someone ask me what was wrong, and I informed them that I had just been informed that my boss had just informed me(in the meantime my boss was stalking me, from another aisle in the store nearby) that I was not being paid for the time off during my surgery and recovery. And also, that he had already asked me to put off the surgery from November in the previous year. My boss then asked me if I would come talk to him for a minute in the office. He slammed me against the office door and yelled at the top of his lungs "Do you know that I could sue you for defamation of character" at the top of his lungs!! Everyone in the front of the store could hear him. After that I decided to write the company president(I had been working for the company for over 11 years, and this was one of the new guys). I also had sent it to the Human Resources Manager. The problem was that the District manager, the Human Resources Manager and the Manager in the store were all friends and were all in it together. It was a very corrupt situation. The human resources manager called me up to tell me he was making a special trip to Woonsocket, R.I and he would call me when he got back. He went to retrieve my letter to the company president of CVS! Like I said they were all in it together, and I had no one in the Human Resources Divison who would help me, since that part of the company was corrupt!! I started having seizures on the job, because the stress from the job was getting to me, and there were only two co-workers who were on my side. This was a ruthless individual who was only nice to people who were not doing any work., since he also was not doing any of the work. It was me and the two other employees who were doing the work during the day. Then the boss would come in late and he would party with the kids and none of the work was getting done by the night crew.! He threatened me and the other two employees, and said "I promise to make your life a living hell!!" That is a direct quote, and I was having seizures at work for two years because of him, the stress was that bad. After two years he was transferred, and we heard that he, the District Manager and the Human Resources Manager all quit within a 3 week time span of each other. Things did get a bit better after that, and we got a new boss!!

October 7, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  5. Carl Johnson

On American Morning this morning the lady reporting on workplace violence made a HUGE mistake when she reported that the number one weapon was FISTS. Any attorney or police officer can tell you fists is not a weapon in any legal terms. She or John or Karan should correct this error.

October 7, 2009 at 7:41 am |
  6. Ralph Dinlocker

There are more sharks off-shore in the US because there are less in Washington since the Republicans got beat.

October 7, 2009 at 6:50 am |
  7. Ralph Dinlocker

We went to Afghanistan to find bin Laden. We didn't and killed our troops in the process. historically, Afghanistan has never been conquered by anyone. I was there in 1971 7 1977. It was only a country when it was a kingdom. It is a tribal land. Time to learn something from history.

October 7, 2009 at 6:49 am |
  8. Rob

If we "pull-out" of Afghanistan any time soon it will almost immediately return to Taliban rule and, among other things, it will embolden Islamic extremists worldwide.

There is so much more at stake here than the average person realizes, which isn't surprising given what we have and haven't been told.
    First of all, one should look back at Iraq and completely disregard the bogus reasons we invaded, everyone knows it wasn't for WMDs, and we didn't go and take their oil either, so why did we go to Iraq after Afghanistan??
    It's really quite simple. Look at a map of the region and you'll find Iran sandwiched between these two countries. It was obvious to me from the start that the Bush administration's (grandiose) goal was to, in effect, surround Iran.
    In my opinion, they foolishly thought it'd be a "cakewalk" in Iraq and Afghanistan and they'd be able to then turn their attention directly on Iran. Well, we all know how that didn't happen and instead they found themselves facing a protracted insurgency and bogged down in combat for years.

I can't for the life of me understand why nobody has made this connection, I can understand why the politicians wouldn't.. but any "International journalist" should have by now.

October 6, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  9. Grant

You americans are a paradox.
    The war in Afghanistan isn't going well.....take a step back from the "We're #1 and waving your flag." reality 101.....you're sending kids to fight hardened fighters that beleive they are defending their country and their way of life from invaders, just as you would if an army invaded the US. (And by no means is that to discredit the bravery and valor of your, or our's, dedicated armed forces-they're all heroes)

The US will leave the area as did the USSR in the end....what a waste of our finest young people. Draft the politicians sons and daughters...send them frontline....see how soon the war would be over.

October 6, 2009 at 6:16 pm |
  10. GmansMama

Kinda disappointed that the Nicholas Kristof piece from this morning isn't online. I thought it was really good – gave us something to think about. Wanted to share it with friends, but can't find it...???

October 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm |
  11. Matt

We have to finish what we started. If we had finished the job in Afghanistan when we first went in after 9/11 we would be done. The problem lies with the Bush administration moving towards Iraq and leaving Afghanistan alone.

Remember the cries of WMDs and Saddam is friends with Osama? All fake so we could move in and take over oil through no-bid contracts. We messed up going to Iraq in the first place and can't leave the place in shambles now or we'll have another generation that blames America and in this situation, rightly so. How would you feel if the situation were reversed?

With regard to Afghanistan, if we help to build a good infastructure, the citizens are far less likely to assist or even work with/for the Taliban because they'll have something of value. Instead, they now help the Taliban by growing poppy fields that get turned into drug money that supports the Taliban.

Something to remember is that we created our own problems years ago when we trained them people to fight the Russians for us. We gave them skills, intelligence, and weapons. Then we had them do our fighting for us in that region.

Nation building prevents the hatred.

Lets take a look back over history and you can see how people react when left in abject poverty and duress. They are easily influenced and swayed by factions with their own agenda under the guise of "for the people". Christianity is a great example of this. Rome fell, and along with it so did polytheism. Then come the Christians and their monotheistic beliefs and promises of hope. If you don't like the example of Christianity, look at what Hitler was able to do with a nation suffering after WW1.

We went in to Afghanistan to get those who wronged us. We know the Taliban are responsible for 9/11 and If we just leave Afghanistan now, we are not accomplishing our goal of getting those responsible and holding them accountable. Nation building and helping to create a safe environment for peaceful and intelligent citizens is a necessary part of the process.

If we pull out now without neutralizing the Taliban, then the whole point of being there is lost. Everything, including the destruction of towns, deaths of innocents, and deaths of the troops (not just ours) becomes a moot point. If we leave now, the region falls further into the hands of the Taliban because they then become the ruling force and end up creating another 2 generations of people who are going to hate us.

If we help them by creating an environment where people aren't under threat of death by the Taliban for having an opinion that differs from that of the Taliban, then we are making friends, not enemies. Yes, it's costly, yes it's taking way longer than it should have, but that's Bush's fault for moving into Iraq for oil.

The bottom line is that we are there now, it sucks and we want out, but the ramifications of leaving this place in destruction and disarray caused by us being there has a much worse impact in the long run.

October 6, 2009 at 3:49 pm |