American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
October 13th, 2009

Cheating Death: Woman survives hours in ice

Program Note: Join Dr. Sanjay Gupta as he examines the medical miracles that are saving lives in the face of death on "Cheating Death," Sat. & Sun. 8 p.m. ET.

Filed under: Cheating Death
  1. Mary Bratton

I Survived a Pulmonary Embolism.I was 6 Months pregnant back in 1978. Sick with the flu for 6 weeks, I developed Thrombopheblitis,in my right leg. I was very sick and had been to 5 different Emergency Rooms. I woke up this one morning ,and felt like I was going to Die. As I went to the Kitchen, to turn on the kettle,My Heart started to pump like crazy,and all of the sudden I could not breath. I could not Breath in or out. I started to panic as my four old was calling me, and holding on to me. I moved through the kitchen to the living room, to the door of my neighbor,and banged with all my strength. She came to the door and ran to call for help ,as she said later ,that I was Blue.I also saw a Bright Light and saw my Grandfather,it was very peaceful and calm. Then I realized , I am Dying and I have to survive, Because I am with child and have 3 small children.I was not afraid as it was very peaceful. I kept moving ,"Crawling",toward the light ,up a stair case ,and the light slowly disappered. I was taken to the hospital, where I was given a lung scan, which showed I did infact throw a blood clot, that went through my heart,and was now in my lung. The Doctor said I should be dead. When I told him what had happened He said I was alive because I kept moving,which pushed the blood clot ,through my heart and into my lung. I did Cheat Death, There is a wonderful place beyond this Life. My Daughter was born in April 1978, and I lost her in the attacksof 9/11. I know I will see her again.

October 31, 2009 at 7:36 pm |
  2. Pat Rogeberg

"Blackface" is a term used to refer to parodies of African Americans done in performances such as minstrel shows of the past. Although it is hard to understand why Black models were not used in the fashion photos, they are quite beautiful and do not appear to me to be a parody of anyone.

October 14, 2009 at 7:53 am |
  3. Jolie Darek

Where can we get full videos? Both the Cheating Death videos stop well before conclusion.

October 14, 2009 at 6:24 am |
  4. Victor Sanchez

I saw your interview this morning and you mention, sometimes its the will to survive. That touched me. And also if all medical or medicine fails, some people believe in the power of prayer. Its true. I know you won't get back at me, be busy and all, but I'm a survivor. I'm HIV positive at about 205 lbs. and nine and half years ago I was at about 100 lbs. and on a Thursday afternoon I told I wasn't going to make it the weekend. Believe it or not, I'm also a cancer survivor. Even thou thyroid cancer is treatable, but it was caught in time. It could of been worse. I'll be 51 on January 1st and I have a handsome 23 yr. old son studying to be a radiologist.

October 13, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Anita Beck

Readers Digest did an article on "Cold-water drowning" several years ago. I do believe several cases of this method of saving lives of those who have fallen in cold water are well documented.

October 13, 2009 at 9:01 pm |
  6. Rae

I was hit by an 18 wheeler had to be resusitated 3X at the scene, in a coma suffered TBI, a lacerated liver and broken left arm. I had to learn how to walk, talk and swallow. In the hospital for 20 days then outpatient rehab. It took 2 yrs before I started to feel like myself again. I have no memory of the accident. Cheating death really makes you look at life differently, I've learned to live in the moment and not sweat the small stuff ! Life is beautiful.

October 13, 2009 at 7:31 pm |