American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
October 23rd, 2009

What’s on Tap – Friday October 23, 2009

Here are the big stories on the agenda today:

• Investigators are trying to find out whether the crew of Northwest Airlines flight was asleep at the controls.  The plane left San Diego last night bound for Minneapolis, but overshot its landing by 150 miles.  The explanation is sketchy at best, so far.  Why air traffic controllers briefly believed the plane may have been hijacked.
  • The “optional” public option?  Talk of a health care compromise on Capitol Hill.  Sources say Senate Democrats and White House officials may let states "opt out" of a government-run health plan. Senators were at the White House yesterday.  We're  live in Washington with where we stand right now.
  • The secretary of education gave a lecture  to the people who teach teachers.  He's hoping changes the administration has planned  will trickle down to our kids.  We’ll ask him why he thinks education programs in college are “mediocre.”  He’ll also talk about swine flu and whether schools are ready.
  • And – his stand on interracial marriage has earned a Louisiana justice of the peace a place in John Avlon's "hall-of-shame.”  Find out who else earned “wingnut of the week” honors.

Filed under: What's On Tap
  1. Frank

I think the Judge was right in his ruleing about craigslist, and anyways the prostitution would just pop up some where else online. Solution: craigslist should be regulated with new prostitution laws to keep all communities of people safe. (that just my voice on the subject no I don't shop for prostitutes) Furthermore all these bad things have been happening always even with our country's great wealth and laws and its still here. Money for prostitution isn't bad its those few individuals that will victomize and trick people of all ages and sex, they don't care or obey laws lets focus on them. It seem like their always on the News. I believe in one strike liferlaws for those that harm others.

October 23, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  2. C.S. Smith

In response to L. E. Burnette, with complaints about that low salary after having sought out all that higher education: I almost stopped reading your posting when I came across that blatent gramatical error smack in the very beginning – and I quote – "The University of Alabama's College of education". I have a masters degree, but NOT in education. It seems to me that you would have proofread your posting prior to submitting it, and therefore, would have caught this simple mistake. I sure hope you do not teach anyone I know.

October 23, 2009 at 11:13 am |
  3. Paul Mysza

the secretary of education is absolutely correct in saying that education courses in college are mediocre. i received my degrees in business. i decided to get into teaching because i had five minors and could teach almost anything in the school district. the education classes i had to complete to get my certification were by far the easiest classes i had ever taken in college. the grading was subjective, because most of the test questions were about your opinion, and how well your opinion matched that of the professors. if you gave them what they wanted to hear, you passed (with great grades, by the way) seemed like most education majors were honor roll students, even though in high school, they barely passed. teachers should be required to major in a subject other than education. we would weed out the ones who shouldn't
    teach, very quickly.

October 23, 2009 at 10:38 am |
  4. Richard

How would states "opt out" of a public option for health care? Does that mean residents of that particular state would not have the opportunity for the public option? Would we have to move to another state to receive that option? Does the "public option" cost a state any money? This looks like another spineless decision that we citizens of the US must endure form our elected leaders. Where are all the statesmen when we need them?

October 23, 2009 at 10:35 am |
  5. Dan

Judge may have his own agenda. They should shut Craigslist down. These people are openly working and with explicit pictures and what they will do for you. Backpage.com boomed because of it.(They are even worse) Shut them down!!!!! If our country has not morals of what is acceptable or not how can we expect others to respect us. We are helping criminals get richer while they are harming women , children and even men. What is wrong with the Judical system. We are to protect our future generations not lead them into a world of criminal activity to make someone else rich. Stop looking the other way.Children will learn that respecting your body means nothing and everyone has a price.

October 23, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  6. L. E. Burnette

Concerning the Secretary of Education's comments; I am a graduate student in The University of Alabama's College of education, . Having chosen teaching as a second career, I entered the teacher education program having already earned a B. A. in history. I had to take 16 additional undergraduate hours (I now have more than 130) in order to be accepted in the Master's program. This Master's program requires 42 graduate hours including 150 hours interning as a teacher before my full semester as a student teacher. Now I know that our program is top-tier and that others may need to improve. Here's my problem; after seven years of higher education (4 for the B. A., 3 for the Master's), I'm going to enter the workplace with debts and a salary of only $42,000 a year!
    L. E. Burnette
    Tuscaloosa

October 23, 2009 at 8:29 am |
  7. Jack, Montauk, NY

I'd like to hear what ED Secretary Duncan thinks about on-going professional development for teachers. Lots of organizations offering In-Service training for teachers, but who is checking into the quality of that instruction? Each district around the country has its own standards, very often tied into "past practice" and teacher contracts. Improvements needed there as well...

October 23, 2009 at 6:54 am |
  8. Frank

Hi,

Isn't Prostitution legal in most other countries? Wouldn't ending violent crimes be a better use of time.

Frank.

October 23, 2009 at 6:28 am |
  9. o

Ill tell you whats on tab NOTHING; cus theRES nothing on cnn but garbage. and opinionated veiw points and phony debates that helps noone BUT UR RATINGS AND EVERYONE PART OF CNN CHECKBOOK ;;get off my tv set please.

October 23, 2009 at 6:22 am |
  10. Syd

Re the NWA flight – what were the flight attendants doing?
    Were they able to communicate with the pilot?

October 23, 2009 at 6:17 am |